Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty bloggers on snapchat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Can someone pm me a link for Sharon Leavy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Can someone pm me a link for Sharon Leavy

There isn't a link I don't think- I don't think she's even a blogger or if she is, I don't know what her blog called but someone else might know if there is one. I just follow her on snapchat at sharonleavy.

EDIT:

Actually I found her! She was just mentioned in a youtube video by Siobhán from Letzmakeup. So Sharon's blog is www.behindgreeeneyes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think we'd have to be pretty innocent to think these girls are blogging for the good of their health or the fun of it. They're clearly either in receipt of payments, getting great freebies or hoping to boost their careers. Anyone notice lovelygirlybits last week just happened to be loaned a nice Toyota auris by a garage and did a few completely natural,ahem,posts about how driving am automatic is so nice and what a hybrid car is! Then there's the ones who get treatments done and blog about every bit and do follow ups showing off the products they were recommended a few times a week. Then there's the people who are promoting their businesses or magazine. Even rosemarie McCabe who I really like was saying last night how she wished someone would offer to fix her teeth... Hint hint:)
    My fave was the one who got a new bed from Harvey Norman supposedly her mother was horrified that she'd been sleeping in the same bed for THREE YEARS and her mum apparently couldn't bear the thought of her in such an old bed. No mention of how it was clearly an ad for Harvey Norman!
    I'd be inclined to take recommendations with a pinch of salt myself.
    Oh one girl who seems more genuine and doesn't seem to get products is @sharonleavy . She's funny and she's mentioned a few good things like her fave deodorant and that tesco brand baby wipes take of nail varnish! She doesn't seem to be selling anything.

Rosemary just mentioned my above post on Snapchat! Rosemary in fairness I don't ever think you're trying to sell us something(except sometimes Stellar but we understand that) and at a risk of sounding like an absolute lick I always watch your snaps first. I take your word about the teeth treatment though I wouldn't blame you if you did use your position to your advantage in that regard. You're one of few I'd trust you'd come back and give us the honest goss on it and wouldn't pretend it wasn't a freebie.
    Also your teeth are grand! And your eyebrows and we all have the neck thing! I guarantee no one else would have noticed those things if you didn't mention them. :-)

Still though I think all bloggers on snap chat, particularly beauty ones, probably have an end game insight for their own ends and it's no harm for us gullible public to think on that before we engage. It's a pretty seductive medium, get a portal into someone's life everyday you start to feel you know them and can trust them. Personal chats with a quick aside about a new product is not something we are that used to. There's the potential for quite a bit of manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Irishgirl2015

I recently only stumbled across more Irish girls haha I only watched a handful of girls to begin with I love dramaticmac her q and as are my favourite to watch as I like when youtubers get more into their life's and not just strictly makeup tutorials. I also like the makeup chair she seems very sweet and makes applying makeup look so easy. I watch xbabyfacexo a lot too I find her topic videos very useful she's the only Irish girl that talks to you like you're a friend she takes no crap off anyone either and that's pretty cool she seems to get a bit of hate I've watched her bullying videos and she really doesn't have it easy at all I read her blog and it showed some of the most disgusting comments I've ever seen I don't know how she does it! Another girl I watch is themakeupfairy I think she is absolutely stunning her makeup is unreal! There's a few Irish girls I don't watch as they are not that interesting or that I feel are just out for getting sent free stuff. I've never gotten into watching facesbygrace I can't for the life of me find her interesting. She does good makeup but i can never watch a video without quickly turning it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 nobbelynoo

Hey lads, it's Karen from Lovely Girlie Bits here

Someone told me about this thread and I had a squizz this morning and wanted to clear up a few things. So yes, I was given a car to test drive for the week and I wasn't paid for any social media coverage at all at all. If truth be told, when they asked me if I wanted to test drive it, my first thought was grand, there's a tank of petrol for the week. I've a 03 Peugeot 206 with no hubcaps that's on it's last legs and while I try to keep things mainly beauty related on the blog and YouTube, I couldn't pass this up! I'd never driven an automatic car and after the first day I wasn't sure if it was for me but yes I did love driving it and when I got my own car back, conked out three times on the way home because I kept forgetting to shift down. They didn't ask me to Snap any videos at all, I just enjoyed having a new car for a week and see how the other side lived. I guarantee you if they'd paid me for anything, you'd have known about it.

I've been blogging in my free time for 5 years now and do my absolute best to be as transparent as possible when it comes to sponsored posts and videos and products I've been sent. Without trust from the readers, the blog is worth nothing and I'd honestly never jeopardise that for anything. In these past 5 years, I've done maybe 4-5 sponsored posts and the same goes for videos (which are always labelled as such) and I turn down a lot more projects than I accept.

I've spoken so many times about how I'd love to blog full time but would never do it at the risk of losing trust with the readers and if that's considered having an ulterior motive, then so be it. I work in admin which isn't very exciting and so blogging is my distraction from life which someday I'd love to turn into a career. Alas, that hasn't happened yet, feck sake!

I do take on board what I read on sites like this and if it's felt that I'm not being transparent enough, then that's something I will absolutely work on to make sure it's 100% clear.

Thanks for reading and if anyone is in the know, I too would like my teeth fixed, a new car and while we're at it, might as well throw in a new bed ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

They just gave you a car to drive for a week with no strings attached?

I'm in the wrong industry!

nobbelynoo wrote: »

Someone told me about this thread and I had a squizz this morning and wanted to clear up a few things. So yes, I warlike given a car to test drive for the week and I wasn't paid for any social media coverage at all at all. If truth be told, when they asked me if I wanted to test drive it, my first thought was grand, there's a tank of petrol for the week. I've a 03 Peugeot 206 with no hubcaps that's on it's last legs and while I try to keep things mainly beauty related on the blog and YouTube, I couldn't pass this up! I'd never driven an automatic car and after the first day I wasn't sure if it was for me but yes I did love driving it and when I got my own car back, conked out three times on the way home because I kept forgetting to shift down. They didn't ask me to Snap any videos at all, I just enjoyed having a new car for a week and see how the other side lived. I guarantee you if they'd paid me for anything, you'd have known about it.

I've been blogging in my free time for 5 years now and do my absolute best to be as transparent as possible when it comes to sponsored posts and videos and products I've been sent. Without trust from the readers, the blog is worth nothing and I'd honestly never jeopardise that for anything. In these past 5 years, I've done maybe 4-5 sponsored posts and the same goes for videos (which are always labelled as such) and I turn down a lot more projects than I accept.

I've spoken so many times about how I'd love to blog full time but would never do it at the risk of losing trust with the readers and if that's considered having an ulterior motive, then so be it. I work in admin which isn't very exciting and so blogging is my distraction from life which someday I'd love to turn into a career. Alas, that hasn't happened yet, feck sake!

I do take on board what I read on sites like this and if it's felt that I'm not being transparent enough, then that's something I will absolutely work on to make sure it's 100% clear.

Thanks for reading and if anyone is in the know, I too would like my teeth fixed, a new car and while we're at it, might as well throw in a new bed ;P

I mentioned about the car thing, sorry if I painted you in an
    unfair light. I totally think they shouldve paid you for your view on the car, there should be no shame in being paid to do it as long as it's made clear when it's a payment and is still honest. Like you brought the car to the attention of a demographic who'd never read a car mag or watch a car show. And you taught me what a hybrid engine was!
    Don't be ripped off ladies, long as ye are frank it's all good. I also love your blog and snap chats and you do seem very genuine. Also if you ever manage to clone Bailey please let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

nobbelynoo wrote: »

Someone told me about this thread and I had a squizz this morning and wanted to clear up a few things. So yes, I was given a car to test drive for the week and I wasn't paid for any social media coverage at all at all. If truth be told, when they asked me if I wanted to test drive it, my first thought was grand, there's a tank of petrol for the week. I've a 03 Peugeot 206 with no hubcaps that's on it's last legs and while I try to keep things mainly beauty related on the blog and YouTube, I couldn't pass this up! I'd never driven an automatic car and after the first day I wasn't sure if it was for me but yes I did love driving it and when I got my own car back, conked out three times on the way home because I kept forgetting to shift down. They didn't ask me to Snap any videos at all, I just enjoyed having a new car for a week and see how the other side lived. I guarantee you if they'd paid me for anything, you'd have known about it.

Karen,
    It's not you that I would lump into the 'sly bloggers' list.. It's a few of the other bloggers that 'charge people' for reviews.. like if they go for a facial etc.. they actually charge the owner a lot of money for a review, and a few posts on twitter/fb etc.. that to me is terrible and very misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Tbh of all the beauty bloggers out there to take offense to this thread it should not be Karen or Rosemary! They are some of the trustworthy ones! I actually rate them even more now that they cared enough to come and explain themselves here. A lot wouldn't care and we'd be called "haters".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Not beauty related but what is with the snappers snapping while driving or parked in traffic. There are a few I follow and have noticed this. I could be mistaken but is there one blogger who only started to learn to drive 3 months ago and snaps away in the car with no apparent driver beside them?

Seriously girls if you are doing this you are a complete tool. Right up there with texting and talking. How stupid can you be?

frogstar wrote: »
    Not beauty related but what is with the snappers snapping while driving or parked in traffic. There are a few I follow and have noticed this. I could be mistaken but is there one blogger who only started to learn to drive 3 months ago and snaps away in the car with no apparent driver beside them?

Seriously girls if you are doing this you are a complete tool. Right up there with texting and talking. How stupid can you be?

Have to agree this is awful. One blogger I follow used to snap herself singing along to the radio while driving while her baby was in the back seat.

To be honest, I think if anyone here was given free stuff to try out or use, they would jump at the chance- why wouldn't you? I think the problem arises when it's covered up or not made clear that it's a freebie. It seems misleading and dishonest. I don't think people are annoyed with free stuff (although they may be jealous!) but they would just like to know what's free and what's purchased, because it's hard to take reviews of gifted products/services seriously. Just boils down to transparency really, people don't like to be misled.

And leading on from that, when people know a blogger is being honest, they will appreciate this and see this person as genuine and not opportunistic. I think it's great that the likes of Karen is benefiting from her blogging- I mean it takes time to write blogs, film and edit youtube videos, respond to questions etc, and the vast majority of these bloggers are also holding down jobs as well. So whilst I'm sure they enjoy it (why would they do it otherwise), it does take time and effort.

In saying that- I do think it's fair game if people want to be critical of certain things they say, I mean they all are entitled to have their opinions and so are we- but there is a way to be polite and non-dismissive of people despite disagreeing with them or not being into everything they share on snapchat or other media.

I think it's great how supportive so many of them are of each other as well and I say fair play to them- just be honest and people will always support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm too lazy as a blogger or a reader for Snapchat so I can't weigh in on any of that but just as a general blogging opinion I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Honestly, when it comes to blogging or any of it's branches in social media, trust your gut. Myself and the vast majority of other Irish bloggers are incredibly hard working, we take the hobby very seriously and invest a lot of time and energy into it. Yep I'm one of the bloggers that gets sent goodies and it's freakin' amazing but it's not the reason to blog and it's not the reward for blogging. I also occasionally will get a sponsored post and that will always be clearly marked, I'll never blog about something I'm not happy about and I'll never accept money from marketing companies that want me to blog about a brand name without disclosing it.

There is no silent agreement that a blogger will blog about anything sent to them, there is no secret handshake to guarantee a positive review. I give bad reviews all the time and it doesn't dent the relationships I've built with brands or PR companies. My obligation to a PR company or brand is that if I review a product, I'll do it fairly and honestly and to the best of my ability, if it happens to be sh**e that's just hard luck for them. My obligation to my readers is to blog like a bad ass and blog honestly. I have no qualms about featuring samples because it gives me the ability to review brand new products readers (in theory) may be really interested in before they're released. It's not a quick press release mention, it's a proper indepth review before or when something is released that will hopefully point a reader in the right direction about a product. I don't think any blogger should ever feel bad for reviewing samples, but I think a blogger has an obligation to be transparent and honest. It's a big learning curve and I'm not always on the ball but pretty much everyone tries very hard and works hard to improve the whole time as blogging evolves.

The problem is that it's up to each person to gauge their own level of transparency which can lead to mistrust across the board. There's nothing more disheartening than thinking other people feel bloggers as a whole suddenly can't be trusted when you are one and you bust your behind to try and do it as well as you can. For me as a reader, I can usually tell when something is off with a blog and I think we all can. There's nothing wrong with samples or earning money in blogging as long as you're doing it correctly. Honestly, just trust your gut and trust that the majority of Irish bloggers are working really hard for you, because without you girls we're just talking to ourselves:D

If anyone has questions most bloggers will be happy to clear things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I'm too lazy as a blogger or a reader for Snapchat so I can't weigh in on any of that but just as a general blogging opinion I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Honestly, when it comes to blogging or any of it's branches in social media, trust your gut. Myself and the vast majority of other Irish bloggers are incredibly hard working, we take the hobby very seriously and invest a lot of time and energy into it. Yep I'm one of the bloggers that gets sent goodies and it's freakin' amazing but it's not the reason to blog and it's not the reward for blogging. I also occasionally will get a sponsored post and that will always be clearly marked, I'll never blog about something I'm not happy about and I'll never accept money from marketing companies that want me to blog about a brand name without disclosing it.

There is no silent agreement that a blogger will blog about anything sent to them, there is no secret handshake to guarantee a positive review. I give bad reviews all the time and it doesn't dent the relationships I've built with brands or PR companies. My obligation to a PR company or brand is that if I review a product, I'll do it fairly and honestly and to the best of my ability, if it happens to be sh**e that's just hard luck for them. My obligation to my readers is to blog like a bad ass and blog honestly. I have no qualms about featuring samples because it gives me the ability to review brand new products readers (in theory) may be really interested in before they're released. It's not a quick press release mention, it's a proper indepth review before or when something is released that will hopefully point a reader in the right direction about a product. I don't think any blogger should ever feel bad for reviewing samples, but I think a blogger has an obligation to be transparent and honest. It's a big learning curve and I'm not always on the ball but pretty much everyone tries very hard and works hard to improve the whole time as blogging evolves.

The problem is that it's up to each person to gauge their own level of transparency which can lead to mistrust across the board. There's nothing more disheartening than thinking other people feel bloggers as a whole suddenly can't be trusted when you are one and you bust your behind to try and do it as well as you can. For me as a reader, I can usually tell when something is off with a blog and I think we all can. There's nothing wrong with samples or earning money in blogging as long as you're doing it correctly. Honestly, just trust your gut and trust that the majority of Irish bloggers are working really hard for you, because without you girls we're just talking to ourselves:D

If anyone has questions most bloggers will be happy to clear things up!

My best mate works really hard and has an awesome nail salon in Dublin city.
    She extended an invite like she did to several beauty journalists and two of the biggest beauty snapchatters/bloggers replied and said they'd love to the the salon and they would do a review and a tweet and snapchat it for €300!!!
    So presumably they're charging for lots of products and reviews.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Lunaarli wrote: »
    She extended an invite like she did to several beauty journalists and two of the biggest beauty snapchatters/bloggers replied and said they'd love to the the salon and they would do a review and a tweet and snapchat it for €300!!!

Holy heck! Well like anything else review/ tweet needs to be marked then and disclaimer needs to be on their snapchat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think when you follow a number of bloggers and follow them got a while and on different social mediums, you get to see what's genuine.
    When you see snaps of their post (mail), how many of them do a proper review of the product, and use it again afterwards? One example is that a week or 2 ago a popular make up brand, known for their palettes, sent out lipsticks. I seen a few bloggers show that they received them but I've only see one blogger actually post a pic of her wearing them as part of her MOTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Also one final gripe is seeing the snaps of clothing hauls, often from one particular store, but then I don't recall ever seeing the bloggers wear the clothes on fb, insta or in snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

anna080 wrote: »
    Have to agree this is awful. One blogger I follow used to snap herself singing along to the radio while driving while her baby was in the back seat.

Wow! Irresponsible or what?!

Lunaarli wrote: »

I wouldn't mind charging if it's explained that it's being charged for and it's honest. At least out of this thread we know that 2 people made the effort to speak up and say they're not doing paid reviews and if they ever are they'll be frank about it. I like that littlegirlybits knows that her honesty is integral to her success and brand.

I guess we are asking a lot really, share your time, entertain us, tell us about new things so we can buy them but don't get paid. That's not all that fair, that's called "friends" not bloggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

I guess we are asking a lot really, share your time, entertain us, tell us about new things so we can buy them but don't get paid. That's not all that fair, that's called "friends" not bloggers.

I'm not saying bloggers shouldn't be paid or accept sponsored posts but I disagree with the above statement. Blogging started off as a sharing of hauls and purchases- it was a community of people who were passionate about make-up or whatever they were blogging about and blogged because they loved it. Now it's an extension of the PR machine with *some* bloggers refusing to blog/ snapchat without payment such as the example of the €300 asking fee for the salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 niamhv

Hi girls,
    I have to agree with most of you. I have become so frustrated with most of these "bloggers" . Since they've become popular, a lot of them are now snapchatting and neglecting their blog. A certain popular blogger hadn't posted in weeks and keeps rehashing the same posts. They're relying on a 10sec snap. Also, Is it just me , but are the rest of you sick of them pointing their "claws" at you?? That just wrecks my head.
    I used to like the make up fairy, I think she's articulate and to the point when discussing products but lately she's posting pictures of herself in her underwear, and while she looks great, I don't need to see it every day. She is so obviously photoshopped in her own photos but won't share the name of the app, yet certain followers asking, and let's face it, we can all use a bit of help!!
    Rosie conn, I don't follow, but I do like pippa and Tara. They come across as really down to earth and humble. Not smug at all. Grace is ok, but her accent is going through me. I don't like the way she points her finger either at me.
    Rosemary McCabe is THE one to follow, she's just so lovely and funny, and relatable. Not full of crap like the others. Lorna weightman is also nice and to the point. Jennifer devitt is also funny and appears honest about reviewing products.

Ah I suppose like anything, there'll be certain bloggers that'll appeal to some people and not to others, and that's fair enough.

Funnily enough, despite the fact that I follow a fair few beauty bloggers on snapchat, my favourite people to watch on it aren't even necessarily bloggers but they kind of get lumped in with them- like cunninghamlaura, aislingmkeenan, rosemarymaccabe & hollywooddublin (sorry for writing them weirdly like that but easier for people to find them on snapchat that way). Maybe I like following them because you get the odd mention of beauty related stuff but it's not over saturated with it.

And actually my favourite blogger of all to follow on it (with sharonleavy a close second) is jamespatrice- who doesn't go on with half the beauty/fashion stuff the others do! Again, maybe when one annoys us on snapchat it's just due to overexposure? Maybe we'll get sick of it. Maybe it'll be the new Bebo & fizzle out eventually! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

niamhv wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    I have to agree with most of you. I have become so frustrated with most of these "bloggers" . Since they've become popular, a lot of them are now snapchatting and neglecting their blog. A certain popular blogger hadn't posted in weeks and keeps rehashing the same posts. They're relying on a 10sec snap. Also, Is it just me , but are the rest of you sick of them pointing their "claws" at you?? That just wrecks my head.
    I used to like the make up fairy, I think she's articulate and to the point when discussing products but lately she's posting pictures of herself in her underwear, and while she looks great, I don't need to see it every day. She is so obviously photoshopped in her own photos but won't share the name of the app, yet certain followers asking, and let's face it, we can all use a bit of help!!
    Rosie conn, I don't follow, but I do like pippa and Tara. They come across as really down to earth and humble. Not smug at all. Grace is ok, but her accent is going through me. I don't like the way she points her finger either at me.
    Rosemary McCabe is THE one to follow, she's just so lovely and funny, and relatable. Not full of crap like the others. Lorna weightman is also nice and to the point. Jennifer devitt is also funny and appears honest about reviewing products.

Pics in her underwear ???

Yep, she has pics of herself in her bra and panties on Instagram. Like I know she's working out and her body is nice and toned, but seriously i think one pic every few weeks is enough, not 3/4 every day. Sure you wouldn't see a transformation every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

niamhv wrote: »
    Yep, she has pics of herself in her bra and panties on Instagram. Like I know she's working out and her body is nice and toned, but seriously i think one pic every few weeks is enough, not 3/4 every day. Sure you wouldn't see a transformation every day.

Pics in her underwear that seem photoshopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Heatons seems to be the one this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I followed a few more from reading this thread. Sharon Leavy for one. I have yet to see her say anything beauty related in the 3 400 second long snaps I've looked at. It just seems like she's ranting about things. Unfollowing, not really for me.

Yea I agree with you about Pippa, she does seem lovely, like the nicest of them, but I'm not so sure about her reviews. She was raving about urban decay mascara one day, then she says her go to his maybelline and now she's plugging a max factor. I just can't keep up! 😅

• Advertisement

Pippa I do like, but I'm going off her slightly and I wish I wasnt. I just find her disingenuous about things. Her outfits lately are head to toe River Island and it makes me feel like she's going down the same road as Sue with the constant plugging of River Island. Before she was as big she used to rave about Topshop and Zara and how they're her all time favourite shops and now she never mentions them or never seems to wear anything from there, as Topshop and Zara don't do sponsored posts like some other shops do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement