Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living abroad, What do you miss the most.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its insanely easy to make peanut butter isnt it?

You put them in the blender and blend, there's enough oil in them that they turn to paste all by themselves. The recipe below is even a little elaborate:

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-peanut-butter-282211

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

A normal job
    Sunday dinners with family
    Pints with friends
    Dublin city in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I thought I missed pints, having not really drank much beer (compared to when Living in Ireland). Went out to watch the Champions league, plenty of pints. Really really didn't enjoy it. Ended up too drunk too quickly and everyone ended up at home pretty early doors.

One of the things I view as a strong positive, leaving behind the "pints" culture in Ireland. I drink much less and eat while I am out now. I strongly believe that the way we drink in Ireland prevents us from having later opening hours and developing a real 24 hr culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

North-western Portugal

I miss sausages, even the €1 Tesco brand ones would do at this stage. :pac: I also miss butter, floury potatoes, non-uht milk, proper beef, rashers, sliced white bread (brennans and the like) and ALDI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I thought I missed pints, having not really drank much beer (compared to when Living in Ireland). Went out to watch the Champions league, plenty of pints. Really really didn't enjoy it. Ended up too drunk too quickly and everyone ended up at home pretty early doors.

One of the things I view as a strong positive, leaving behind the "pints" culture in Ireland. I drink much less and eat while I am out now. I strongly believe that the way we drink in Ireland prevents us from having later opening hours and developing a real 24 hr culture.

True! Was just thinking this today with all of the discussion about how Damien Rice closed the bar at his gig in Galway last night. I went to an event in Florida a few years ago and two Irish lads were sat behind me. We got talking before things started. When it started the crowd were cheering and participating with the performers to their prompts.

The two Irish guys were mocking the crowd and talking crap about them to me...

Then a few beers in they started to participate themselves. As though, they couldn't be loose and have fun without having the excuse of being drunk. I think it's not even that we need alcohol to let loose because we're a reserved people. I think we could be more outgoing and charismatic but we somehow feel we need alcohol as an excuse incase people don't like who we are. It's so strange.

I drink 2 or 3 times a year now. I don't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I miss carvery lunches :( and floury spuds! Although an Irish shop has opened here and they recently got in a load of Roosters, so thats been fairly awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Wompa1 wrote: »
    True! Was just thinking this today with all of the discussion about how Damien Rice closed the bar at his gig in Galway last night. I went to an event in Florida a few years ago and two Irish lads were sat behind me. We got talking before things started. When it started the crowd were cheering and participating with the performers to their prompts.

The two Irish guys were mocking the crowd and talking crap about them to me...

Then a few beers in they started to participate themselves. As though, they couldn't be loose and have fun without having the excuse of being drunk. I think it's not even that we need alcohol to let loose because we're a reserved people. I think we could be more outgoing and charismatic but we somehow feel we need alcohol as an excuse incase people don't like who we are. It's so strange.

I drink 2 or 3 times a year now. I don't miss it.

I still drink, but whereas I would have had 6 to 8 pints and no food I'll probably have the equivalent of 2 or 3 and eat something at the same time. The only thing I'm missing out on is hangovers and that part of the night where everyone starts to repeat themselves and say or do things they really regret in the morning!

Also..30c+ plus hangover = misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Also..30c+ plus hangover = misery.

I was standing out in 45 degrees waiting for a bus drunk...even before the hangover it was brutal sweating out that alcohol. Guhhhhh...2 drinks are enough to give me a hangover now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

Applause wrote: »
    North-western Portugal

I miss sausages, even the €1 Tesco brand ones would do at this stage. :pac: I also miss butter, floury potatoes, non-uht milk, proper beef, rashers, sliced white bread (brennans and the like) and ALDI!

From that list I can assure you will find at least the sliced white bread in any supermarket, not brennans ofc but expecting the same brand would be silly. You can buy fresh milk too from the fridge aisle, even the packaging is different from the UHT one. There is Lidl there but no Aldi, however there's not such a big difference in prices between the normal or the discount chains.

Meat in general isn't as good as in Ireland so unfortumately that's something you can only dream of until you come back home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Living in Vancouver at the moment. I love it here but there are a few things I miss!

I miss black/white pudding, sausages and my lovely local butcher shop.
    Sometimes I would kill for a breakfast fry with nice salted butter, pudding, sausages, and batch bread.
    LIDL, ALDI, and cheap/accessible groceries in general! Especially meat. It costs a fortune and the quality is woeful.
    Nice, affordable bread. Standard supermarket bread here is unbearably sweet.
    Cheese! Miss being able to stroll around the corner to Tesco and pick up a block of extra mature white cheddar. Or a lovely Irish cheese like Gubbeen.
    The craic/banter. I'd have some great chats with my colleagues in the kitchen in previous jobs when we'd have tea breaks. Canadians are a nice bunch but very dry and polite.
    Likewise, post work beers where we could have a rant about work and let off steam. They wouldn't dream of that here. Post work beers means maybe two beers before it's off to run errands/climb a mountain/go to bed/go for dinner.
    Standing up in a bar! It's all tables and seating. You can't mingle. Drives me nuts sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement