Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm, what are Razer up to? Wall Street Journal ad.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Isn't the idea of a purpose built gaming laptop like that just a console though?
    One set of hardware, one set of drivers, one less thing to have to wonder about when you're trying to run games. I love PC hardware's power and potential—I don't love screwing around with drivers and such to get things running. If you do, more power to you (and yes, it's better than it used to be), but that's not what normal, mass market folks want. It's just not.

If mass market folks want such simplicity, surely a PS3 or Xbox would be the best choice.

It seems a pointless product to me at it's price. It needs to be cheaper than an Alienware or similar gaming laptop, not much more expensive, especially if this is true:
    They'll likely come out with a new Blade next year that has the latest hardware.

So then the latest games potentially won't work with the older models? Or else there won't be a major hardware upgrade for a long time - like a console.

Worst of all their target market are the kind of people who understand their hardware, who go with Android over Apple and build their own PCs. What mass market really exists for a $2,800 console with a screen attached?

Of course it'll probably sell in the millions and I'll look a fool. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

calex71 wrote: »
    I'll wait until they go the way of the HP Touchpad ;)

Exactly what I was thinking! The thing is a pile of **** for that price!

The graphics card is nothing to write home about, you can make a dell XPS with nearly the same specs for just over €1k while this one will be around the €2k mark. The least they could have done is gone with the updated Nvidia GT560M range or actually made that concept design where it was a bit smaller but all the keys where OLED's and customisable.

There's nothing that makes this special except for the touch pad and OLED keys.

What's the launch date for it? I'll have my €500 ready 48 days after that, that's the usual time-to-failure ala touchpad isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christ. I bought a Vaio laptop last year for less than a grand that plays literally everthing I can throw at it, and that's hardware that a year out of date.

Can't see any reason at all why anyone would pay more than €2000 for that.

Scumbag Razer

EF6Gy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I wasnt sure before but now i know...
    Pc gaming is dead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would love to see how are shares of razer doing now. i bet they droped.

i still cant get over this... how could they **** up so hard... they were manufacturing stuff FOR PCs! How couldnt they see this being a bad idea!

Pc gaming was newer dead, but now PC gaming looks like expensive bull**** to average Console Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's mental. How can you invoke the Xbox and Wii in a piss-taking advertisement and then reveal a laptop that costs 1000% more than either of them?

Krieg wrote: »
    I wasnt sure before but now i know...
    Pc gaming is dead :(

It's not dead as long as sony and microsoft don't have an up to date console up their sleeves. You see a lot reviews for the AAA games now that say "It's good, but it will be better on PC!" If you followed From Dust you would have seen that alot, "I want to play this with an mouse!" "OMG Remember how good populus was on the PC!" Okay, the last one was a decent amount of paraphrasing but From Dust was looking like a decent game for the PC and then we got a ****ty console port, all the worst things about a console port, capped FPS, barely ported over control system and decent dose of bad reaction DRM. You might not think that's much BUT the company that is a paragon of PC gaming (Valve) started to issue refunds! At first on their own bat but then they stopped that and then started again because the publisher told them to.

Steam doesn't refund games.

Except for that one.

Move along now. PC gaming is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so this earth shattering announcement is a ....... gaming laptop without proper keys :confused: and its aimed at pc gamers..... Wtf would a pc gamer want with that over priced un-upgrade able piece of garbage? it has to be a joke right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Burgo wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5834795/i-cant-believe-it-the-razer-blade-might-not-just-be-the-future-of-pc-gamingit-may-be-the-future-of-pcs

honestly don't know why i even bother looking at kotaku anymore,they really are the worst.

So much wrong ....
    So little time ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Theres never been so many great titles soon to be released, digital distributers are thriving.
    PC gaming will never die! fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PC Gaming is not dead until PCs are.

They've been screaming PC Demise for ... oh what, 10 odd years now I reckon? More? Pfft. It's always going to have a market. Regardless of what type of games that market will be. Plenty of MMOs to look forward to though you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think the funny part is that console gaming is far far more likely to die off than PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

kbzq1l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ in all fairness:

51hGeAaGxCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 70GB, $17.80

41tlK3arx7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg 64GB, $343.05

that amazong thingy was just pure trololololol at its best! so freaking true!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought 600 euros for a PS3 was a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What happened to the Blade?

It was this cool, netbook-sized thingy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What happened to the Blade?

It was this cool, netbook-sized thingy...

That was the switchblade,dunno what happened to it, guess it got scrapped for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh, "Razor Blade"! I get it now. I get stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From looking at the initial spec released, its not mind blowing for €2800 : /

Looks nice, yeah realy great light, thin , portable.

Has roughly 120 mins of battery life according to various sources claiming to be testers and employees.
    Has not mind blowing specs

And in all honesty, PC gamers use desktops, not laptops : /

Best of luck to them, but for that price won't be going near one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I do wish people would stop bandying the "PC gamers use desktops" myth about. Face it, the majority of gamers are bored housewives on laptops.
    ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I do wish people would stop bandying the "PC gamers use desktops" myth about. Face it, the majority of gamers are bored housewives on laptops.
    ;)

Oh no, you didn't! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think you'll find he's not that far from the truth and there's a 1 word reason for it: Facebook ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

They had an interesting enough discussion about PC gaming in last weeks Giant Bombcast. Not about Razer, the discussion was sparked by talking about teh HP Touchpad, and how HP and other companies seem to be trying to step away from the desktop PC market because there's no money to be made there as for most people they just need a PC for the internet and in that sense gone is the need to constantly upgrade your computer and what that could mean for PC gaming in general. Worth a listen to. Though the Bombcast is always worth listening to.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    They had an interesting enough discussion about PC gaming in last weeks Giant Bombcast. Not about Razer, the discussion was sparked by talking about teh HP Touchpad, and how HP and other companies seem to be trying to step away from the desktop PC market because there's no money to be made there as for most people they just need a PC for the internet and in that sense gone is the need to constantly upgrade your computer and what that could mean for PC gaming in general. Worth a listen to. Though the Bombcast is always worth listening to.

i personally think its a golden age for pcs.

my system 5 years old. i could play any game 10xbetter graphics then any console on the market. dedicated servers, steam, mouse+keyboard?

after 5 years i upgraded my GPU for 170eu, and now i am good for 1-3 years. i will still be able to play same games as console, but with waaaaay superior controls and graphics.

i dont even talk about pc exclusive games too.

yes, there are horde of facebook fiends out there, but there are still so many pc gamers. there was newer better time to biuld yourself a pc then now or last 2-3 years ago.

One problem that PC gaming has - A stupid fecking myths how expensive it is, and how you need to spend 500eu every 2 month so you can play games...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

i personally think its a golden age for pcs.

my system 5 years old. i could play any game 10xbetter graphics then any console on the market. dedicated servers, steam, mouse+keyboard?

after 5 years i upgraded my GPU for 170eu, and now i am good for 1-3 years. i will still be able to play same games as console, but with waaaaay superior controls and graphics.

i dont even talk about pc exclusive games too.

yes, there are horde of facebook fiends out there, but there are still so many pc gamers. there was newer better time to biuld yourself a pc then now or last 2-3 years ago.

One problem that PC gaming has - A stupid fecking myths how expensive it is, and how you need to spend 500eu every 2 month so you can play games...

I think they were discussing that at the moment it's a golden age for PCs but 5-10 years down the line could be different story. Not sure myself, as I don't play games on PC, but I'm always tempted to try and get a cheap gaming PC. But it's interesting that they were talking abotu general users not needing to upgrade as much, but you yourself don't need to upgrade your gaming PC, which could mean graphics card manufacturers could be taking a hit these days too if people don't need to upgrade as much. If PC gaming stalls it could directly affect consoles too, as generally the drive to upgrade console hardware is based on advances on the PC side of things. Interesting times ahead.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I think they were discussing that at the moment it's a golden age for PCs but 5-10 years down the line could be different story. Not sure myself, as I don't play games on PC, but I'm always tempted to try and get a cheap gaming PC. But it's interesting that they were talking abotu general users not needing to upgrade as much, but you yourself don't need to upgrade your gaming PC, which could mean graphics card manufacturers could be taking a hit these days too if people don't need to upgrade as much. If PC gaming stalls it could directly affect consoles too, as generally the drive to upgrade console hardware is based on advances on the PC side of things. Interesting times ahead.

that is quite a good point there bud.

thought lifespam of current consoles is massive! xbox360 is here since 2005! i still got my one when i bought back then! It means they did not got any money for hardware for last 6 years. by the looks of it, xbox still got atleast 2++ years in it.

you are dead right there too: there will be interesting times in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cloud gaming could have a huge impact, looking at onlive during the week my old laptop that couldnt handle sim city 4 without crashing was playing Batman Arkham Asylum perfectly. No need to upgrade any parts. It even runs on a Blu Ray player ! Traditional PC gaming could suffer quite a bit from this movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How can anyone say it's the golden age for PC gaming when we've lost the focus of the likes of Epic and iD to console development? I'm not saying PC gaming isn't great, it most certainly is, but golden age? God no.

If there are so many PC gamers out there then why do 90% of multiplatform titles sell considerably more copies on consoles?

As for PC gaming hardware affecting the development of consoles, that will only hold true as long as the platform holders rely on off-the-shelf components for their designs. Oddly enough, as Carmack stated in that interview I linked in the other thread, a lot of developers are looking towards a change which would mean a move away from this. What this will mean and how long it'll take is anyone's guess of course, but the next two generations of consoles and how both they and PCs begin to converge is going to be extremely interesting.

Advertisement