Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what courses would I need to be able to teach first aid?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭

What it says on the tin. I'm interested in learning and then teaching first aid. Which courses do I need to complete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Most likely you would need to complete a basic first aid course followed by a first aid at work course, then i believe there are instructor courses for both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

gufc21 wrote: »
    What it says on the tin. I'm interested in learning and then teaching first aid. Which courses do I need to complete?

Technically, you dont need any experience to teach a basic first aid course.

But for the higher levels OFA, CFR, EFR etc you need instructors courses done

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hatty444

The best way to go about it is joining a Voluntary Organisation and getting experience and then venture off yourself and do CFR Instructor or OFA instructor. OFA instructor costs around 1500euro. CFR I dont know how much it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

miju wrote: »
    Technically, you dont need any experience to teach a basic first aid course.

As miku says, you dont need any qualifications to teach ... but if you want to be able to issue your students with a nationally recognised cert (PHECC, FETAC, etc) then you need to be on their list of instructors and to teach their pre-approved courses. You can, of course, just issue your own certificate of attendance. But if you dont have any qualifications, then who would have you? Qualifications (plus experience) is the way to go ....

The OFA Instructor isnt as expensive as most think .... you just need the cost of the instructor exam (approx 600 euro). There are some orgs that teach you the instructor curriculum and include the price of the exam too (that makes it about 1500 as hatty444 says), but if you know your OFA stuff (and buy the OFA book, about €10) then you could take a chance and just do the exam .... might be a pricy risk however!

NOTE: I just remembered, for the OFA Instructor, you need to be a CFR Instructor (that costs a few hundred) and to have OFA too (that about 200-300) ... price is mounting up! The minimum instructor qualification would then be a CFR instructor ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

Since January 2015 anyone who wishes to become or renew as a Occupational First Aid Instructor must now also have an Instructional/Training Qualification as well as achieving Merit or Distinction in a OFA exam and also having a PHECC CFR Instructors Certificate.

Read more about it on the OFAAA dot com website in the "OFA Instructors" section.

Advertisement