Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

yknaa wrote: »
    Blue Bar Skerries now stocks many Irish craft beers on draught. Galway Hooker, Rebel Red etc. Excellent choice. Pints are c.€4.40/€4.40 They also do decent food. http://www.bluebar.ie/index.htm

Metalman ale now also added to the fare :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lads, what time do the decent craft beer pubs shut/which is open latest? Gonna be getting into Dublin late tonight and need to waste a few hours before heading to the airport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pretty sure the Porterhouse is late every night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've booked a table at Messr Maguires on Saturday night (wouldn't normally do this, but it's for a large enough group of out-of-towners). To be honest partially for a change from the Porterhouse, and partially because I couldn't get one at a Porterhouse that suited.

It's been a few years since I've been Messrs and am looking forward to trying a few of their house beers again. Is it still a choice between Rusty, Haus and Bock or do they have more available now?

It varies a lot. You can usually depend on Rusty and Weiss.

Actually, it must be nearly Jul-Ól season. Mmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Tom Collins, Cecil St.Limerick. Old fashioned pub with no TV and hence no omnipresent SKY news. Low level back ground music. The usual suspects on tap plus draught Leffe, and Hoegaarden. Octoberfest of world bottled beers, weekly specials. Current is Westmalle Triple at €5. Decent wine list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Magpie Inn Dalkey good choice of beers. Galway Hooker , O'Haras ,5am Saint , Sierra Nevada and Dark Arts.

Also adding the food was very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

TP Smith on abbey street is always a good pitstop when shopping with your 'better half' pints are quite expensive,fiver for lagers not sure what the stout or ales cost.but they do soup of the day which is different everyday and delicious too i night add!plus toasted Sambo for a fiver too so that kinda compensates for the high pint price.swings and roundabout kinda scenario i guess.good spot tho.the nearby gin palace is a good spot in then the evening.

Possibly heading to a comedy night on Wednesday and have a choice between Anseo, The International Bar or the Ha'Penny Bridge Inn. Anyone any recommendations between those 3? Craft beer availability being a priority.

AFAIK, Anseo is the only one that does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Looks like the guys behind L.Mulligan Grocer are looking to open a second pub in Dorset St. They hope to be open by March

http://wjkavanagh.blogspot.com/2012/01/rinse-and-repeat.html

And meanwhile the Against the Grain people are opening The Black Sheep on the corner of Capel and Parnell Streets in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

But they really let you know it in the price. They are quite good cocktails, though for a cocktail bar they let it get way too crowded. queues can be 3 deep all around the massive bar at times. Also, they serve very small, a daiquiri in a champagne flute for 8.50 or thereabouts.

Cork Bars

This is a pretty good list and what you say is pretty accurate for each pub. Only one I'd disagree with is The Brog, it can be a nice relaxed place but most nights it's too packed, too loud and too messy to have a quiet one. Also kudos on mentioning the The Abbot, its a gem of a place that not a lot of people know about.

Left out a few nice places too (and a lot of ****e ones I won't mention):
    Charlies - Nice pints, good for live music but way too small and is often too packed.
    Vicarstown - Nice quiet pub, good atmosphere, good staff. Never seems to be too busy either.
    Fionn Barras - One of my favourite pubs, great atmosphere, nice selection of beers and a huge smoking area.
    An Realt Dearg - Really good place to go on a quiet night, but on a busy night it tends to get a bit cramped and messy.
    Cisse Youngs - Great for watching matches, loads of TVs and it tends to draw a Liverpool crowd :).
    Tom Barry's - Good pub for the most part. A bit small inside but the beer garden with the roaring fire more than makes up for it. Actually pubs on Barracks Street in general tend to be pretty good.

There's still a load of places I haven't mentioned. Man there's a lot of pubs in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is a pretty good list and what you say is pretty accurate for each pub. Only one I'd disagree with is The Brog, it can be a nice relaxed place but most nights it's too packed, too loud and too messy to have a quiet one. Also kudos on mentioning the The Abbot, its a gem of a place that not a lot of people know about.

I'd agree they do pack it at night, but it's nice and quiet before 10 on most nights, when it starts picking up the student crowd.

I haven't drank on Barrack Street since I was refused in Tom Barrys when I was 18. I must give it another shot when I am back on the beer in 8 bitter days.

On an unrelated note, and I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but what the hell, does anyone know bars in Cork that will hire inexperienced staff? (I got a little in An Bodhran because I know Sharon, but I want an actual job in a bar.)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I'd agree they do pack it at night, but it's nice and quiet before 10 on most nights, when it starts picking up the student crowd.

I haven't drank on Barrack Street since I was refused in Tom Barrys when I was 18. I must give it another shot when I am back on the beer in 8 bitter days.

On an unrelated note, and I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but what the hell, does anyone know bars in Cork that will hire inexperienced staff? (I got a little in An Bodhran because I know Sharon, but I want an actual job in a bar.)

It's hard to get a job on a bar without experience unless you know someone. There are so many people out there that have experience it's not to hard for the owner to find someone and if not then they are going to go for someone they know.
    Best advice is to try and get more experience in An Bodhran if possible, if not just ask every bar in town one of them is bound to give you a break :/

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

Visited the Folk House in Kinsale at the weekend. Lovely spot with tons of craft beers on offer - including cask of Metalman. Yum! Recommend.
    http://folkhousevenue.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The Cock

Always a good crowd in but pint quality has dropped in past year or so. Have had some awful Guinness and Heineken in there recently. Great atmosphere mind.

The 44

Best bar for a quiet chat as there's never loud music. Good Guinness too and they do O'Hara craft beers. Can be a bit dead though and no late license.

The Old Boro

3 separate bars but usually half empty. Good value on Fridays with the special offers and pints are usually decent. Some craft beers.

The Lord Mayors

Possibly the worst pint in Swords. Low on atmosphere also.

The Slaughtered Lamb

Full of kids. Avoid.

The Old Schoolhouse

Good mix of a crowd and decent pints. Sports bar upstairs is allegedly the place to watch any big matches.

Wrights Cafe

Poor pints and jammed at weekends. Dark and loud.

Wrights Wine Bar

Probably the best place to get a late pint as it serves til 2+. Small and cosy but can fill up after 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

penev10 wrote: »
    The Old Boro

3 separate bars but usually half empty. Good value on Fridays with the special offers and pints are usually decent. Some craft beers.

Just out of interest, which craft beers are available in The Old Boro, I think I'll be in there this weekend.

Cheers

Des wrote: »
    Just out of interest, which craft beers are available in The Old Boro, I think I'll be in there this weekend.

Cheers

http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&__%20%20%20%20catid=0&sobi2Id=325&Itemid=80
    Draught: O'Hara's IPA, Curim, Galway Hooker

Bottles: O'Hara's IPA, Curim, Leann Follain, Galway Hooker, Howling Gale, Sunburnt Red

Let us know if there's anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was in Athlone during the week and my Beoir Finder app brought me to Maguire's on Connacht St. It's nice to know that there is an oasis in the beer desert that is Athlone. Very nice pub - maybe a little too clean!, friendly knowledgeable staff member, couple of Irish beers (Porterhouse Plain on tap and some PH bottles), and a good very good selection of International beers. What a lovely surprise!

A few more Irish beers and this would be a serious beer spot.

My gripe!!:rolleyes:
    Why did I pay €2.20 for a glass of plain when a pint is €3.80?
    €0.60 more a pint to drink it in halves ???!!!
    I wish this habit of charging would die out or be made illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Funnily enough, a year or so ago, Brownes bar on the same street was up for sale. It's large with a large residence and it was only going for €200 and I seriously considered buying it until I decided I just don't have any savings to get any consideration. No bank would give me a loan to buy a pub.... Ah well.

Plan was to turn it in to a craft beer pub and perhaps brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hey,

Trying to get some ideas on some nice pubs in or around Dawson Street in Dublin. There will be anything from 10-20 people and it'll be a Saturday evening. Know it might be hard to get but looking for somewhere that would allow people to have a chat and the music isn't too loud. Would be good if there was some live music (nothing OTT or anything, just something to have in the background).

I don't know that area of Dublin City at all so would take any suggestions you have.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

Upstairs in Keoghs on Sth Anne Street might suit you. Or the Duke is decent - again they have an upstairs part that will enable that count of people to stay together.
    Also, The Duke serves Hoegaarden......
    Both these places are just off Dawson Street. There are a few places in fairness within a five min walk from Dawson street that would suit what you are looking for to be honest - Kennedy's (Westland Row), The GingerMan (Fenian Street), Neary's (Chatham street)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Howdy... I'll be in Dublin city for the Scotland rugby match (sunday 24 feb at 2PM). Friends of mine in Dublin tell me Mulligans in Poolbeg Street is a great place to go for Guinness. But we're also looking for a fry up before the match somewhere about midday. Will Mulligans do you a fry on a Sunday?, if not can someone recommend somewhere not too far from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Howdy... I'll be in Dublin city for the Scotland rugby match (sunday 24 feb at 2PM). Friends of mine in Dublin tell me Mulligans in Poolbeg Street is a great place to go for Guinness. But we're also looking for a fry up before the match somewhere about midday. Will Mulligans do you a fry on a Sunday?, if not can someone recommend somewhere not too far from there?

Mulligan's don't do food at all so you best get a feed before you get in there.
    As for fry recommendations you will have to go the cafe route if you want it at 12 as pubs do not open until 12-30 on a sunday. As for recommendations I think there was a thread on this recently on this forum so maybe have a search. As a Dubliner my sunday morning fry up is consumed at home so I can't help you out there! My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

The Lounge in Balbriggan is positioned in a unique location overlooking the harbour and is a pretty cool place to visit. It is a lively pub with famous radio DJ’s providing the entertainment at the weekends and on Fridays there is live music from very good bands. In terms of entertainment this is the best your going to get in Balbriggan but not necessarily the best pub. There is 2 pool tables and large screen televisions. There are also 2 interconnecting nightclubs upstairs which the lounge does some superb deals with. So value is also very good. What lets this pub down and the nightclubs upstairs is the quality of the drinks. Personally I would avoid the Guinness and some of the other tapped beers can be questionable, but get a bucket of bottles and you can’t go wrong. Cocktails are actively promoted, they vaguely resemble what they should be but the strawberry daiquiri I ordered was undrinkable. One more negative and this review is near done, the toilets are not up to scratch even though the toilets are manned by a toilet guy who actively requests tips or rather begs for money for a poor service that I personally don’t even want but thats another blog post altogether! To sum it up The Lounge has the best entertainment in Balbriggan and is good value if you intend on going clubbing upstairs afterwards but the drink quality is below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Lounge in Balbriggan is positioned in a unique location overlooking the harbour and is a pretty cool place to visit. It is a lively pub with famous radio DJ’s providing the entertainment at the weekends and on Fridays there is live music from very good bands. In terms of entertainment this is the best your going to get in Balbriggan but not necessarily the best pub. There is 2 pool tables and large screen televisions. There are also 2 interconnecting nightclubs upstairs which the lounge does some superb deals with. So value is also very good. What lets this pub down and the nightclubs upstairs is the quality of the drinks. Personally I would avoid the Guinness and some of the other tapped beers can be questionable, but get a bucket of bottles and you can’t go wrong. Cocktails are actively promoted, they vaguely resemble what they should be but the strawberry daiquiri I ordered was undrinkable. One more negative and this review is near done, the toilets are not up to scratch even though the toilets are manned by a toilet guy who actively requests tips or rather begs for money for a poor service that I personally don’t even want but thats another blog post altogether! To sum it up The Lounge has the best entertainment in Balbriggan and is good value if you intend on going clubbing upstairs afterwards but the drink quality is below average.

agreed on the piss poor pints,o sheas as its still known locally is a lovely spot on a summer day when the tide is in and the seals are swimming around just below,good live music sometimes.when the tide is out the place has a rank smell permeating the place though.

agreed on the piss poor pints,o sheas as its still known locally is a lovely spot on a summer day when the tide is in and the seals are swimming around just below,good live music sometimes.when the tide is out the place has a rank smell permeating the place though.

Yeah it is a nice place in the summer and the tide is in and there is good music, pitty about the pints though. I don't know why they are so bad, maybe its because they only ever seem to get business at the weekend.

An Brog is a bohemian style pub in Cork City, whenever anyone described An Brog to me they always mentioned the distinct smell of the place. I have to admit I didn’t get this whiff the last time I was there and the toilets were much improved and clean. This pub attracts students and foreign students. Its an interesting place alright, during the day they have the larger pub area closed off, this makes for an awkward shifting of tables around come the time to open the shutters to the other part of the pub. We were asked to move tables twice, but it didn’t bother us too much but they should have a better arrangement. They also put candles in bottles, it seems to be a trend amongst most of the bars in Cork!

• Advertisement

Nealons in Skerries is a genuine family run pub. This is the real deal that hundreds of irish pubs around the world try to replicate. It is warm, comfortable and the divided off areas create a cosy atmosphere. The place is especially inviting on a cold winters day when the fire is lighting. There is a large covered smoking area in the back with a large television and heaters to keep the smokers happy. The toilets are clean, the staff are excellent and if its not too busy will even drop your pint of Guinness down to your table for you. And thats probably the best thing about this pub, the Guinness is excellent! Possibly the best pint of Guinness in Skerries although that is up for debate, the Malting House also serves an excellent pint of Guinness. Every Wednesday there is trad music night which is great! Over all a great pub to visit if you ever find yourself in Skerries!

Advertisement