Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

6 bottles of 8 degrees porter waiting for me this evening.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

From Drinkstore's Facebook: After a pricing error from @galwaybaybrew the price of Of Foam and Fury has been reduced to €5.70 per bottle ... Worth every penny !!! Awesome brew !!!

Right then. Are we back on the OFAF guys? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

From Drinkstore's Facebook: After a pricing error from @galwaybaybrew the price of Of Foam and Fury has been reduced to €5.70 per bottle ... Worth every penny !!! Awesome brew !!!

Right then. Are we back on the OFAF guys? :p
    Can't believe it's so cheap. Compared to Hardcore and.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

5.70 is much better and more along with what I expected. Still on the pricey side but getting there.

I'd still prefer if they could do a 330ml bottle for around 3.50 (or less) down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's a bleedin disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They read the thread! :pac:

We're back in businesses with F&F. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Happy days, a much better price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's a bleedin disgrace Joe!

Young people today with their fancy beer, none of that in my day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Still can't see it flying off the shelves at that price.

Ipso wrote: »
    Young people today with their fancy beer, none of that in my day!

Ha. There generally wasn't though. :)

At Christmas there was always a tray of Guinness, Harp and Smithwicks bought to cover all bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anybody know if O'Briens have this in stock yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Me neither.
    €5 would seem about right for it.

I can buy 50cl bottle of Schneider Hopfenweisse (8.2%) for about €3.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anybody know if O'Briens have this in stock yet?

I'll let you know in half an hour when I get to the one in Lucan! :D

P.S. Carry Out in Rathborne didn't have it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if double IPA means twice as undrinkableas normal IPA (to sections of the population like myself who dont class a beer being horrendusly bitter as a good thing) then that'd be another reason to believe that you wont have the place stormed by the masses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

if double IPA means twice as undrinkableas normal IPA (to sections of the population like myself who dont class a beer being horrendusly bitter as a good thing) then that'd be another reason to believe that you wont have the place stormed by the masses.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Widmer Bros Pitch Black IPA...

I found this a bit 'meh', lacking in the hop kick I normally crave but otherwise very quaffable.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'll let you know in half an hour when I get to the one in Lucan! :D

P.S. Carry Out in Rathborne didn't have it earlier.

O'Brien's didn't have it. I had to settle for a bottle of Full Sail. :(

Decided to sample a bottle of Liberties Dublin Ale this evening.
    Lacks a little bit of carbonation and while the initial taste was quite pleasant, I'm now halfway through and am getting a mild sort of "soapy" taste, similar to what I get from the likes of a Miller, Heineken etc.
    A little tweaking and I reckon they would have a nice beer on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had the Pondhopper it was very nice but never got the Thornbridge side of it.

Galway Bay Full Sail with the new bottle caps is really up there.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Had the Pondhopper it was very nice but never got the Thornbridge side of it.

Galway Bay Full Sail with the new bottle caps is really up there.

I hadn't had a bottle of it for a while but I agree, it was very nice tonight.
    Now on a bottle of Thornbridge Chiron. Dare I say, it's almost too balanced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Brewdog Hoppy Christmas (using up the Christmas stash)... decent.
    Porterhouse the Devils Half Acre - interesting, you can really get the barrel aging. It's a big beer, a sipper. Lovely sweet, dark fruit tang going on. I love that we are producing beers like this! Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinions on Schneider Weisse Tap 5? I have a bottle chilling in the fridge at home but haven't gotten around to it yet.

This stuff is majestic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

290546.jpg

A Christmas present. Not bad. Light red ale, minimal hops and bitterness, but quite malty with being overly sweet.

Sipping on a Mikkeller Crooked Moon DIPA. Really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Stone Pale Ale it's not my cup of tea anymore. A few years ago I did like it but now just find it plain taste to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Porterhouse the Devils Half Acre - interesting, you can really get the barrel aging. It's a big beer, a sipper.
    Used to be able to get Devils half acre for 3.39 a bottle, crazy good value. Best barley wine I've had.

Had a kinsale ipa, not very good. "Bursting with hops" it aint. Had a bottle of Foam and Fury too, nice but seems to be lacking carbonation like a lot of Irish beers.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Stone Pale Ale it's not my cup of tea anymore. A few years ago I did like it but now just find it plain taste to me.

I had one last Friday and thought the exact same as yourself. Also much prefer their IPA

Currently having a Big Job but it doesn't taste at all nice after my last beer which was an 8 Degrees Hurricane.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had one pint each of Howling Gale Ale and Sabotage IPA tonight. I've been neglecting them these past six dark (stout and porter) months. Very nice, if a little on the cold side.
    Currently having a Big Job but it doesn't taste at all nice after my last beer which was an 8 Degrees Hurricane.

I had a bottle of Big Job last night and loved it. Must try to find a Hurricane somewhere before they've all disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Told yeh.

I went for one today based on your post, despite not being a fan of wheat beers in general, but found it to be very nice indeed. Good call.

• Advertisement

I had a bottle of Big Job last night and loved it. Must try to find a Hurricane somewhere before they've all disappeared.

Normally I love Big Job but it just doesn't work after Hurricane. The tastes are far too different. Completely different hops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Got a hold of some Bo Bristle for the first time last night in M&S - was disappointed that there was no IPA so it was just the Amber Ale. Found it ok - prefer Dungarvan or McGraths I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Picked up a few bottles of Foam and Fury in McHughs just now, finally gonna try this after all the hype, hope it's not a let-down. €5.79 a bottle there so it better be worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Got my hands on some Augustiner Lagerbier Hell, during the week. Very smooth and went down extremely well.

Took a spin to the County Bar Off-Licence in Lucan (thanks for the tip blueshed) and picked up St Odell St Lupilin, Trouble Brewing Deception and Thornbridge Jaipur - all new to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Fran Well Jameson Stout - pretty good but I think I preferred it last year.
    Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout - cracking. Just delicious.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Took a spin to the County Bar Off-Licence in Lucan (thanks for the tip blueshed) and picked up St Odell St Lupilin, Trouble Brewing Deception and Thornbridge Jaipur - all new to me.

They have Deception? Sweet. I've only ever seen it in Drinkstore, out of all the off-licences I frequent.

Birra Del Borgo ReAle. Much preferred this to the My Atonia.

They have Deception? Sweet. I've only ever seen it in Drinkstore, out of all the off-licences I frequent.

Yup, and in the fridge too!

They have Dark Arts as well. Five Lamps was 5 for €10. They also have Kinnegar Ale and Pale Ale and Carrig Dubh Porter.

Not a bad selection of some more mainstream international beers as well.

Not a bad spot at all, and prices reasonable, with some multi-buy offers (like the Five Lamps).

Not as good as the selection in the Malt House in Trim, but handier for me and the fact the they have a lot of stuff in the fridge is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

BMJD wrote: »
    Picked up a few bottles of Foam and Fury in McHughs just now, finally gonna try this after all the hype, hope it's not a let-down. €5.79 a bottle there so it better be worth the wait.

it's immense, worth the wait, just about worth the price:D

also, is Deception just the new name for Ór (Trouble Brewing)? Looks like a rebranding to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yep, they renamed it to fit in with the branding

• Advertisement

Yup, and in the fridge too!

They have Dark Arts as well. Five Lamps was 5 for €10. They also have Kinnegar Ale and Pale Ale and Carrig Dubh Porter.

Not a bad selection of some more mainstream international beers as well.

Not a bad spot at all, and prices reasonable, with some multi-buy offers (like the Five Lamps).

Not as good as the selection in the Malt House in Trim, but handier for me and the fact the they have a lot of stuff in the fridge is a bonus.

Ah feck it, I was getting Deception mixed up with Sabotage.
    Sabotage is quite tricky to find.

Ah feck it, I was getting Deception mixed up with Sabotage.
    Sabotage is quite tricky to find.

That's the truth.

That's the truth.

They should rename it Subterfuge to reflect its scarcity

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Of Foam and Fury - had a bottle last night and can confirm it is glorious from a bottle too.

I also had a Celebration, Torpedo and Beer Camp Black IPA by SN and OFAF tasted much fresher and way more complex than any of those beers. And it's on the par with the beer camp and celebration price wise. Torpedo is cheaper, and while you get the piney resiny taste off it, the cans are already old enough so that it doesn't really carry that much floral/citrus hop profile, it's just a bit watery before the bitterness kicks in.

I won't be buying it by the slab because of the price, but it's a damn good beer done where the style is not indigenous, and the freshness makes it more valuable to me as a lot of the competition would probably reach the same level of taste only if tasted before being hauled to a warm container and shipped to Ireland lasting weeks if not months. So the extra effort that some find valuable in imported beers doesn't really work with hoppy beers for me. Local will always taste better if everything else is equal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BMJD wrote: »

Went to pick up a bottle from the offo at The Dark Horse in Blackrock, and they were charging €7 a bottle :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Went to pick up a bottle from the offo at The Dark Horse in Blackrock, and they were charging €7 a bottle :eek:

That's serious brass necking considering Galway Bay own that off license as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's serious brass necking considering Galway Bay own that off license as well.

Bah, that's outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

irish_goat wrote: »

Serious gouging alright. Galway Bay had better be careful they don't turn people off completely. It would be a shame too, as they make great beers.

It would be a shame too, as they make great beers.

I think their beers are very mediocre.

(When's Seaneh's ban over?)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Just finished a bottel of Rouge Shakespeare oatmeal stout really enjoyed it nice smooth start with a bit of dark chocolate/coffee tone and good bitter after taste.
    Was in the off license 3 doors down from the the Oslo brewpub where the brew of foam and fury and they didn't have it I'm dieing to try it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement