Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aspartame free mixer

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All
    i went to a nutritionist , who did a food and chemical test on me and said that i have a huge intolerance to aspartame. For the last ten years ive been mainly drinking vodka and diet coke so im wondering what other mixers do people use. i dont really like wines or ciders so i am looking for a new drink

has anyone any suggestions?
    ps: dont want to go down the line of drinking normal fizzy drinks with sugar.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Fruit juice, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some diet drinks have sucralose as the sweetener, I much prefer the taste of it.

Tesco had a own brand premium diet cola with it, not sure if its still about. M&S diet cola has/had it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vodka and soda with a slice of lime is very nice.

Apart from sparkling water/soda water, every mixer will have either sugar or artificial sweetener in it. Even pure juice has a lot of naturally occurring sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Get a second opinion? Nutritionist isn't a protected term, anyone can call themselves one. What qualifications do they have? If you have such a huge intolerance to aspartame, how come it hasn't caused any problems up to this point?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Diet coke life (the green one) appears to be aspartame free.

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/new-coca-cola-life-is-perfect-for-diet-drinkers-concerned-with-aspartame/
    28064212 wrote: »
    Get a second opinion? Nutritionist isn't a protected term, anyone can call themselves one. What qualifications do they have? If you have such a huge intolerance to aspartame, how come it hasn't caused any problems up to this point?

Yeah may be worth a visit to your GP to be sure.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

The nutritionist is a family friend and friends and family have always found her fairly spot on. i am going to try her recommendations for 8 weeks and see how i get on

thanks for all the suggestions. i have cut out fizzy drinks and now drink water but its just at the weekends with drinks that im finding it hard to find a substitute mixer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Try poundshop style stores for foreign Coke Zero which usually uses sodium cyclamate and potassium acesulfate; the Irish version has aspartame instead of sodium cyclamate.

This isn't much use in a pub, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tippgod wrote: »
    The nutritionist is a family friend and friends and family have always found her fairly spot on.

I know this is how a lot of people think but it's really not a smart way to operate. Lots of people have found psychics and homeopaths "spot on", that just shows how much we want to trust each other and how easily we're convinced of things that aren't true. "Nutritionist" literally means whatever anyone wants it to mean.

How did they conduct the allergy test? Have you had allergic reactions to aspartame before? It would be a shame to go putting effort into life changes for no good reason.

For what it is worth I also find sucralose to be a much better tasting artificial sweetener than aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Club zero uses sucralose and is caffine free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Looks to be some evidence of the effect of aspartame on our gut bacteria

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Would it not be better to go to a doctor? Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but I'd be a bit sceptical of food intolerance testing as a rule. That's not to say you are not allergic to something like aspartame.

Would mixers not have to say what's in their product?

I think Pepsi One doesn't have aspartame. And there's a version of Diet Coke that doens't have it. Should say it on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Another vote here for getting a second, professional opinion. There's nothing stopping you from opening a shop and calling yourself a nutritionist. Go to your GP or a dietitian for a second opinion.

Also try drinking a smaller measure of quality vodka neat. You'd be surprised the difference between a decent sprit and something like Smirnoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Vodka and soda with a slice of lime is very nice.

Apart from sparkling water/soda water, every mixer will have either sugar or artificial sweetener in it. Even pure juice has a lot of naturally occurring sugar.

Yep, if you're looking to mix vodka with something that has no sugar -naturally occurring or otherwise- or artificial sweetener then you're pretty much limited to soda water which is fine imo. Soda water is fizzy though. I could list off several vodka cocktails but they would contain some sort of sugar or sweetener. A Bloody Mary is essentially vodka and tomato juice so you could try that.

Drinking a vodka and sugar based mixed drink or even straight vodka in moderation ought to be OK but it's really hard stay "healthy" (ie. diet drinks with no sugar) while exceeding the "recommended" daily unit limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Studies have shown artificial sweeteners are as bad for you as sugar. I'd suggest tonic water, with a dash of lime or whatever you prefer.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Studies have shown artificial sweeteners are as bad for you as sugar. I'd suggest tonic water, with a dash of lime or whatever you prefer.

Tonic water will have sugar in it and the "slimeline" versions have aspartme.

Lukker- wrote: »

No they haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Diet coke life (the green one) appears to be aspartame free.

Yeah may be worth a visit to your GP to be sure.

There's still a whole pile of sugar in Coca Cola life, I bought a few tins to use as mixers without reading the label first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Brockagh wrote: »
    No they haven't.

Evidence ?

1. Dr. Roberts reports that by 1998, aspartame products were the cause of 80% of complaints to the FDA about food additives. Some of these symptoms include headache, dizziness, change in mood, vomiting or nausea, abdominal pain and cramps, change in vision, diarrhea, seizures/convulsions, memory loss, and fatigue.Apr 16, 2014

2.Research in Cambridge: Not only does it encourage sugar cravings and sugar dependence, increasing your odds of weight gain - it can also have serious repercussions on your brain function.

3.Aspartame Side Effects

The components of aspartame can lead to a number of health problems, as you have read. Side effects can occur gradually, can be immediate, or can be acute reactions.

Aspartame Information:

Aspartame Side Effects
    Aspartame Case Histories
    Artifical Sweeteners
    Phenylalanine
    Phenylketonuria
    Message Board Forum:
    Think you are having an aspartame reaction? Join Dr. Hull's aspartame message board forum and communicate with others!

Ask Dr Hull Forum
    According to Lendon Smith, M.D. there is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame, yet have no idea why drugs, supplements and herbs don’t relieve their symptoms. Then, there are users who don’t ‘appear’ to suffer immediate reactions at all. Even these individuals are susceptible to the long-term damage caused by excitatory amino acids, phenylalanine, methanol, and DKP.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes

Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS

Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Your quoting 'Dr' Hull's forum?!?! Sheesh ...

'This web site is based on my experiences, and reflects my perceptions of the past, present, and future. The personalities, events, actions, and case histories have been reconstructed from my personal experiences and professional records. All the facts on this web site have been carefully researched and have been drawn from scientific literature. In no way, however, are any of the suggestions meant to take the place of advice given by physicians. Please consult a medical or health practitioner should the need be indicated '

That from her own page ...

Also you didn't quote this from what I believe was one of the websites you used:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=81475&page=8

"An editorial in the British Medical Journal states that the "evidence does not support links between aspartame and cancer, hair loss, depression, dementia, behavioral disturbances, or any of the other conditions appearing in web sites. Agencies such as the Food Standards Agency, European Food Standards Authority, and the Food and Drug Administration have a duty to monitor relations between foodstuffs and health and to commission research when reasonable doubt emerges. Aspartame's safety was convincing to the European Scientific Committee on Food in 1988, but proving negatives is difficult, and it is even harder to persuade vocal sectors of the public whose opinions are fuelled more by anecdote than by evidence. The Food Standards Agency takes public concerns very seriously and thus pressed the European Scientific Committee on Food to conduct a further review, encompassing over 500 reports in 2002. It concluded from biochemical, clinical, and behavioral research that the acceptable daily intake of 40 mg/kg/day of aspartame remained entirely safe -- except for people with phenylketonuria."

See, isn't it easy to post what you want people to believe?

If we were as worried and paranoid about sugar as we are about artificial sweetners the world would be a better place.

More info fyi here too:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

lk67 wrote: »
    Your quoting 'Dr' Hull's forum?!?! Sheesh ...

'This web site is based on my experiences, and reflects my perceptions of the past, present, and future. The personalities, events, actions, and case histories have been reconstructed from my personal experiences and professional records. All the facts on this web site have been carefully researched and have been drawn from scientific literature. In no way, however, are any of the suggestions meant to take the place of advice given by physicians. Please consult a medical or health practitioner should the need be indicated '

That from her own page ...

Also you didn't quote this from what I believe was one of the websites you used:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=81475&page=8

"An editorial in the British Medical Journal states that the "evidence does not support links between aspartame and cancer, hair loss, depression, dementia, behavioral disturbances, or any of the other conditions appearing in web sites. Agencies such as the Food Standards Agency, European Food Standards Authority, and the Food and Drug Administration have a duty to monitor relations between foodstuffs and health and to commission research when reasonable doubt emerges. Aspartame's safety was convincing to the European Scientific Committee on Food in 1988, but proving negatives is difficult, and it is even harder to persuade vocal sectors of the public whose opinions are fuelled more by anecdote than by evidence. The Food Standards Agency takes public concerns very seriously and thus pressed the European Scientific Committee on Food to conduct a further review, encompassing over 500 reports in 2002. It concluded from biochemical, clinical, and behavioral research that the acceptable daily intake of 40 mg/kg/day of aspartame remained entirely safe -- except for people with phenylketonuria."

See, isn't it easy to post what you want people to believe?

If we were as worried and paranoid about sugar as we are about artificial sweetners the world would be a better place.

I don't want to believe it but like the op, I was experiencing abdominal pains, very painful. Got colonoscopy,endoscopy, ultra sound and nothing found. I gave up aspartame on the advice of a friend, and bingo week later I was pain free, and no other change to my diet? Thoughts? Placebo ....despite trying loads others.

• Advertisement

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I don't want to believe it but like the op, I was experiencing abdominal pains, very painful. Got colonoscopy,endoscopy, ultra sound and nothing found. I gave up aspartame on the advice of a friend, and bingo week later I was pain free, and no other change to my diet? Thoughts? Placebo ....despite trying loads others.

Sorry, I edited that to include this too:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction

Some interesting points about that Dr of nutrition in it...

I think the issue is proof. I'm not saying it's not harmful, only that it hasn't been proven to be harmful and that for every site that says it's harmful there's another that refutes it.

And I happen to trust in Snopes for many of these issues. Perhaps wrongly ...

It's like many things we consume - gluttony is the issue. We are a nation of over consumers, myself included.

I'm also a big believer in the placebo effect.

Anyway, as long as your feeling better then it's whatever floats your boat! ;)

"aspartame toxicity..."

Well, water can be real bad at toxic levels.... How much of this stuff are people drinking to get such side effects listed above? The OP didn't specify how much was being consumed but drink anything over a short period of time in excess and you will probably have unpleasant reactions.

'Sugar' is not bad for you either. There are lots of different types of sugar. It is safe to consume them as long as you don't take them to excess.

Aspartame may yet turn out to have negative health effects at certain levels but so far there is no strong evidence of this. Some things warrant further investigation.

It is also possible to have allergies to things like aspartame I presume. But people are not great at determining what improves or disimproves their health, particularly under suggestion.

'Sugar' is not bad for you either. There are lots of different types of sugar. It is safe to consume them as long as you don't take them to excess.

Indeed, but unfortunately we do.

People wondering why they and their kids are humongous, discounting the 2l of cola the drink a day because there's no fat in it!

Anyway, we all know this and we're going to be given out to shortly for wandering off topic.

lk67 wrote: »
    Indeed, but unfortunately we do.

People wondering why they and their kids are humongous, discounting the 2l of cola the drink a day because there's no fat in it!

Anyway, we all know this and we're going to be given out to shortly for wandering off topic.

Well yes. And the amount in soft drinks takes us quite close to excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Aspartame may yet turn out to have negative health effects at certain levels but so far there is no strong evidence of this. Some things warrant further investigation.

It is also possible to have allergies to things like aspartame I presume. But people are not great at determining what improves or disimproves their health, particularly under suggestion.

Added Sugar is horrific for you. Scientist believe its worse than fat or salt in your diet. Sugar is addictive and causes a list of health issues. Read is sugar toxic on the NY Times website.Anything with added sugar is pretty unhealthy for you

Elephant in the thread here is that drinks are labeled "diet" or "slimline" which people may equate to "not as bad for you" or even healthy. If you want to stick to the letter of the science then moderation is really important. Added sugar is a bit different than something with naturally occurring sugars.

Back on topic, hope the OP found a pleasant beverage.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Added Sugar is horrific for you. Scientist believe its worse than fat or salt in your diet. Sugar is addictive and causes a list of health issues. Read is sugar toxic on the NY Times website.Anything with added sugar is pretty unhealthy for you

That is simply not true. Too much sugar is bad for you and far too many people likely consume too much sugar. If you don't consume too much sugar, however, it is not bad for you (assuming you brush your teeth).

Is there a chemical difference between 'sugar' and 'added sugar'?

...just to add, what science most likely suggests is that sugar causes more health problems in society than fat or salt. This is very different to saying that any amount if sugar is toxic.

Sorry if this is off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Teaks81

...just to add, what science most likely suggests is that sugar causes more health problems in society than fat or salt. This is very different to saying that any amount if sugar is toxic.

Sorry if this is off topic.

According to Ray Peat PUFAs would be the major health problem in our society. He actually advises to drink "Mexican Coke" occasionally. It's basically the same as Irish coke. Too little sugar stresses the body and causes problems.

Advertisement