Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Something going on with IE Dublin-Sligo?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'd say the alan kelly HST will go along with the line itself, he should have got IE to operate a shuttle/commuter service along the line connecting into the early morning cork train or if not that a service which would get people to limerick from stations along the branch before 8 or 9. but no he wanted his bullit train and he got it. is calling a train a HST then a bullit train all right? probably not but anyway

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

i'd say the alan kelly HST will go along with the line itself, he should have got IE to operate a shuttle/commuter service along the line connecting into the early morning cork train
    Bingo - or at least allow the Cork train to skip the Ballybrophy stop and gain 2-3 minutes, with the Nenagh TGV picking up whatever few normally board that service. I do wonder though whether IE went along with it because it gave them an additional commuter service without it originating from Laois Depot or Heuston - hell of a price to pay just to not have one more 22 to squeeze out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dowlingm wrote: »
    Bingo - or at least allow the Cork train to skip the Ballybrophy stop and gain 2-3 minutes, with the Nenagh TGV picking up whatever few normally board that service.
    yeah it would be a good idea for that to happen, all though to be honest i'd say the shuttle service to the cork train would be better because the cork train would get into dublin faster and earlier then the old TGV.
    hell of a price to pay just to not have one more 22 to squeeze out though.
    absolutely agree.
    I do wonder though whether IE went along with it because it gave them an additional commuter service without it originating from Laois Depot or Heuston
    possibly thats the case or maybe they felt pressured in to doing it? i don't want to see this line close but i know now at this stage this will be the outcome, a shame realy as their was probably the potential for a commuter market from the stations along the branch to limerick and possibly a small market to dublin via connecting to the cork train had the line been invested in fully and brought up to a good speed, i know track has been relayed but still the journey time and speed is ridiculous, i'm not saying it could be compared to the dart, but surely it might have got more users then the WRC for example and been more worth while investing in? (yes i agree their are more worth while lines again then limerick ballybrophy before anyone starts)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The Waterford DMUs are in a much better position to stop and start than a Mark 4+loco or an 071+containers between Ballina and North Wall.
    And that makes it ok to delay passengers to/from waterford?

foggy - I'm just saying that if it makes more sense operationally then parity of esteem should take a backseat. Isn't the same true of Galway services at Portarlington?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

foggy - I'm just saying that if it makes more sense operationally then parity of esteem should take a backseat. Isn't the same true of Galway services at Portarlington?
    But trying to increase speeds on the cork route now is like flogging a dead ass because of the competition from bus operators who offer both stopping and express services. The cork trains should not get priority anymore.

A short sighted view. The speed increases due to better track and removal of speed restrictions will benefit services to Galway, Limerick and Tralee (in increasing order of benefit). These services might have to make an extra stop or two to make up for some Cork trains going limited stop but if IE doesn't respond to the coach services and maintain their effort then they might as well pull up the rails south of Portlaoise right now. Good luck getting enough Aircoaches, X8s and Gobuses heading up the M8 next year in July, August and hopefully September Sundays though - look what a small county like Kilkenny did to the Aircoach.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good luck getting enough Aircoaches, X8s and Gobuses heading up the M8 next year in July, August and hopefully September Sundays though - look what a small county like Kilkenny did to the Aircoach.

On the other hand look at how GoBus and CityLink responded to the Galway races, putting on lots of extra buses and meeting the much greater demand.

Don't judge it by Aircoach, it is a relatively new service and Aircoach are new to intercity travel. I believe they will improve and in time they will be able to handle such peak demand.

bk wrote: »
    Aircoach are new to intercity travel.
    What? The Belfast route launched eight years ago. They are hardly neophytes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

1) They only operated this route for a relatively short time.
    2) It was an already highly serviced route, with a lot of coaches operating it. There was plenty of capacity and rarely any need for extra services.

Cork is a whole new beast for them. They are now the primary operator on this route. They have never before operated a route that is so busy, with so many potential customers and until now so underserved. It is a totally different ball game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Belfast route was a Dublin Airport route, it never served the city centre until it was relaunched this year.

I'm sorry devnull, bk but this is ridiculous nitpicking. Aircoach has been doing Cork-Dublin at least as long, it's just that the Aircoach website doesn't show it. The company itself was formed in 1999. What is with this reflexive excusing of Aircoach? They are a clearly experienced company backed by a huge parent since the takeover 9 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

devnull wrote: »
    The Belfast route was a Dublin Airport route, it never served the city centre until it was relaunched this year.

So they were strangers to the "shmoke"? Oh my aching sides.

Advertisement