Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams, Leader of Opposition

Options
  • 18-02-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Following the opinion polls, if there is a FF/Lab coalition, which seems v likely, with the concentration of SF votes in areas, unlike FF's blanket support, surely this means that SF will be bigger than FF. In that case Gerry Adams will be leader of the opposition - that'll be interesting!

Any Thoughts??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Good point. Even seeing Gerry Adams in the Dail will make interesting viewing in itself.

Will he definitely get a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Podge83 wrote: »
    Following the opinion polls, if there is a FF/Lab coalition, which seems v likely, with the concentration of SF votes in areas, unlike FF's blanket support, surely this means that SF will be bigger than FF. In that case Gerry Adams will be leader of the opposition - that'll be interesting!

Any Thoughts??

The concentration of votes could also work against SF, just giving them seats where they have higher profile candidates. Bad and all as FF will do, I'd be surprised they get less seats than SF.

PS. I take it you mean FG/Labour Government.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The independents could actually make up the largest opposition "group".

I would not be all too surprised if a new party emerged out of the elected independents - or FF manage to launch "New FF" by absorbing the most popular independents and ousting their rotten apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

almighty1 wrote: »
    Good point. Even seeing Gerry Adams in the Dail will make interesting viewing in itself.

Will he definitely get a seat?

I know people who have been doing polls for different papers and they say that it is in no way definite.

I was surprised by it as I presumed that he would walk it but no, it looks like it might be a tight one for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

did we have a credible alternative policy from the opposition when fianna fail were giving the blanket bank guarantees that has bankrupted this country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Of Course, i Meant FG/ Labour!!!

Some polls have it tight for him - but it's a big possibility. Who would deputize, Marty Lou, Pearse???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Who would deputize, Marty Lou, Pearse???
    50% Marty Whelan; 50% Mary Lou :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

you're really gonna have to read back over these posts of yours Podge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EithneMasterson

Would hate to see Gerry adams get in...................we have had theives liars cheats wimps...................do we really need Murderer to the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Would hate to see Gerry adams get in...................we have had theives liars cheats wimps...................do we really need Murderer to the list

Is there any evidence, that Gerry Adams killed someone?

Is there any evidence, that Enda Kenny, Richard Bruton, etc. are not telling lies or would cheat, once they are in government?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Odd, I would have expected to have heard of Gerry Adams' conviction for murder. Could you point me in the direction of the case and let me know how many years of his life sentence he's served to date? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

seamus wrote: »
    The independents could actually make up the largest opposition "group".

I would not be all too surprised if a new party emerged out of the elected independents - or FF manage to launch "New FF" by absorbing the most popular independents and ousting their rotten apples.

I can't see FF launching anything new or worthwhile, especially since one of Martin's first acts was to reinstate O'Dea.

The rotten apples will be kept on and promoted, as usual.

On the main topic, there is no guarantee that Adams will even be elected.

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Odd, I would have expected to have heard of Gerry Adams' conviction for murder. Could you point me in the direction of the case and let me know how many years of his life sentence he's served to date? Thanks.

Gerry Adams.....................will let you suss that out yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Any Thoughts??
    It'll never happen. Thanks to SF's concentration of support, SF candidates will have to compete with each other for less seats in less constituencies while FF's wide spread of candidates will return the third-largest party in the Dáil.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Is there any evidence, that Gerry Adams killed someone?

Is there any evidence, that Enda Kenny, Richard Bruton, etc. are not telling lies or would cheat, once they are in government?
    None at all I believe enda and the rest of them should be serving time along with adams

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BORDS.IE

Any Thoughts??
    Q

Gerry Adams.....................will let you suss that out yourself,

In other words, you have no reply, because you're wrong...

Well I would do my own leg work to see who would be running my country....................or do you believe in what you are told.......................like your Government for the last few years or maybe the bankers..........not me I would keep myself informed.

Not so simple as you deciding because you do not like an answer that the it is wrong............go on educate yourself.
    Also let me add do not rely totally on links to find the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 declan37

came across this today online,
    really interesting esp at a time where about to gamble the fate of our country.

http://info-wars.org/2011/01/06/irish-leaders-castigated-as-greatest-traitors-of-all-time/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Strange that you hear no talk of the missing children of Ireland anymore nor of the abused children in the homes like Artane and Goldenbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I don't think many people in the Republic have taken the time to really consider what it must be like to grow up in a part of your own country which is under the macro-control of a foreign power and the micro-control of bigoted unionists who sought to take every basic human right from the indigenous Irish population.

How many of you can really say that if one of your teenaged relatives, a child of yours or a nephew, or a niece had been brutally slain and subsequently labelled a terrorist (Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy) that you would not have responded with violence?

Gerry Adams may have controlled the IRA, may have ordered killings but he could have done much worse, he could have done nothing.

Bloody Sunday in Derry,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)
    Ballymurphy in Belfast, http://www.ballymurphymassacre.com/

I came across this article earlier, Please take the time to read it as comes from an English source but eloquently describes life in the North.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2001/nov/17/weekend7.weekend9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I don't think many people in the Republic have taken the time to really consider what it must be like to grow up in a part of your own country which is under the macro-control of a foreign power and the micro-control of bigoted unionists who sought to take every basic human right from the indigenous Irish population.

How many of you can really say that if one of your teenaged relatives, a child of yours or a nephew, or a niece had been brutally slain and subsequently labelled a terrorist (Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy) that you would not have responded with violence?

Gerry Adams may have controlled the IRA, may have ordered killings but he could have done much worse, he could have done nothing.

Bloody Sunday in Derry,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)
    Ballymurphy in Belfast, http://www.ballymurphymassacre.com/

I came across this article earlier, Please take the time to read it as comes from an English source but eloquently describes life in the North.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2001/nov/17/weekend7.weekend9

John Hume didn't lead the IRA. Did he do nothing?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Source please, when you're ready.

Well I would do my own leg work to see who would be running my country....................or do you believe in what you are told.......................like your Government for the last few years or maybe the bankers..........not me I would keep myself informed.

Not so simple as you deciding because you do not like an answer that the it is wrong............go on educate yourself.
    Also let me add do not rely totally on links to find the truth

:rolleyes:

A "murderer" is someone who has been proven guilty, by a court of law, of the crime of murder. You are proposing that Adams is a murderer. I am pointing out that you are wrong and cannot back up your claim by evidence.

Also, an elipsis is a series of three full stops. Go on, educate yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's talk of Adams stepping aside in the next Dail to allow Pearse Doherty to take over the leadership of the party.

Whether that will happen or not is another thing - Adams has proven himself to be just like every politician in Ireland in one respect - ego maniac that loves the media limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

There's talk of Adams stepping aside in the next Dail to allow Pearse Doherty to take over the leadership of the party.

Whether that will happen or not is another thing - Adams has proven himself to be just like every politician in Ireland in one respect - ego maniac that loves the media limelight.

just wondering, where did you hear this??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

We had murderers before. Forget ye not the distant past where wee little children were brutally worked to the bone and starved under the eye of the clergy...oh not so distant

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

John Hume didn't lead the IRA. Did he do nothing?

No, on the contrary, he has done an amazing job and was fully deserving of his nobel prize. I think in the dirty world of Irish politics he alone can truly hold his head high and serve as an example to us all. I also doubt that his influence, his example, and his determination did not influence Gerry Adams in his moving SF away from armed struggle.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Source please, when you're ready.

I love this attitude his defenders throw at you if you say what everyone and their dog knows. If Adams didn't do a sterling job covering his tracks do you think he would even be running for election? He'd be in a prison in the north or completely and utterly discredited. Asking for 'evidence' is a straw man at best.

This is the court of public opinion, not the law and the rules are different. People don't need to compile a Holmes-esque collection of forensic evidence to lay claim to Adams having done some very nefarious thing. Suck it up.

Advertisement