Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weight loss weight lifting program for beginner ?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    apologies if this has been requested before. Basically im looking at getting rid of some weight and improving fitness. Since christmas I have completed the C25K program and completed a 5k in under 28mins, so im very happy with the improved fitness. Having had 4 weeks off due to injury I went back to week 6 of the program and am gearing towards doing a 5mile run at the start of july.
    All this said, i haven't really lost any weight. I ahem recently heard that lifting weights could also help in this area. Ive never really lifted weights before but I do have a 10kg kettle bell, the wires, and a barbell with various sized weights to fit it. Im basically looking for someone, anyone to point me in the direction of a lifting program or plan that will help me lose weight and tone up a bit whilst i'm also doing my 5mile bridging program.
    As a side note, my diet isn't to bad at all with very little fast food/take away and mostly fresh veg and meat with pasta or potatoes .

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If you're not losing weight it's more than likely down to diet. Post up what you'd usually eat on daily basis.

Do you want a program for the gym or something you can do at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

looking for a workout at home using the kettlebell/barbell if needed. Havent time for a gym with work and kids. Generally do running at night when kids are in bed.

diet average day:
    7.30am
    Coffee 1 sugar
    Banana

Small bowl Half Muslei Base/ Half granola with milk
    Coffee 1 sugar

Whole grain sandwich (2 slices of bread with salad and ham/chicken)

Diner (either of...)
    Pasta with chicken/bacon
    Wraps with Rice
    Chicken stir fry with noodle + veg
    Steak with oven wedges
    Sausage, Rasher, Eggs
    Always a roast on Sunday

Tea 1 sugar + 2 oaties biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh your food intake isn't all that great. Do you know how many calories you consume? or how many you should be consuming? Have a read of the stickies.

Re: training. I'd be inclined to suggest doing a session or two with a trainer to ensure you are using the kettlebell correctly. It's very easy to injury yourself if you're not using it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Thought the diet posted looked healthy ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Without changeing your whole diet you could do with getting rid of the oatcakes bread(just have the saladand meat without bread) and sugar.
    Putting up with it for a week and you wont miss it and you will noticeably lose weight and get faster over a couple of months.
    Diet could be better but that d be a start without too much hassle.

• Advertisement

cheers guys, returning to the original request does anyone have any advice on a weight program with dumbbells or kettle bell or neither that I could do at home along with my cario training ?
    thanks

If you want to get more muscle eat more protein. You dont eat much for somebody getting into weight training.
    You could start off doing pull ups press ups and dips one day. Then squats after your runs other days.
    If you just want to lose weight less food and more running is the way to go. Supposedly 1 pressup burns just one calorie.It builds more muscle than running if you add protein but it doesnt really burn calories as good as cardio work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

jane82 wrote: »
    If you want to get more muscle eat more protein. You dont eat much for somebody getting into weight training.
    You could start off doing pull ups press ups and dips one day. Then squats after your runs other days.
    If you just want to lose weight less food and more running is the way to go. Supposedly 1 pressup burns just one calorie.It builds more muscle than running if you add protein but it doesnt really burn calories as good as cardio work.

No, strength work burns far more calories and results in far more fat loss than cardio alone.

OP: beginner programs often recommended are starting strength or stronglifts, but you need access to some equipment like a bench and squat rack. There are alternative versions of these exercise without equipment though. You could also look into doing a bodyweight program involving dips, push ups, pull ups, squats etc.

I stand corrected. May very well burn big calories when weight is added but I still say change diet to having more meat and less bread and oatcakes.

No, strength work burns far more calories and results in far more fat loss than cardio alone.
    You could also look into doing a bodyweight program involving dips, push ups, pull ups, squats etc.

any links to programs out there on the web, as If i didnt have to use the equipment I have access to I wouldn't be to bothered.

Im not necessarily looking to build up my body, rather tone and lose a bit of weight.
    currently 5.9ft at 13.5 stone.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I stand corrected. May very well burn big calories when weight is added but I still say change diet to having more meat and less bread and oatcakes.

You'll notice i didn't quote the post were you advocated this as its good advice.
    any links to programs out there on the web, as If i didnt have to use the equipment I have access to I wouldn't be to bothered.

Im not necessarily looking to build up my body, rather tone and lose a bit of weight.
    currently 5.9ft at 13.5 stone.. :o

If you can get or use equipment you'll get better/faster results. I don't really have much info on bodyweight programs but there is an old thread about it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185716

Tell us what to recommend and we will recommend that for you.
    Everything that has been recommended has been disregarded by you so far.
    There is no super program that will make you look like Tyler Durden or Brock Lesnar or Sonia O Sullivan.
    Start off by doing 3x10 squats after your runs. Pick up the kettlebell and do them for extra weight.
    Do 3xtotal pressups
    3xtotal dips
    3xtotal pull ups 2 days a week.
    When you find this easy start bench pressing and squating weight.
    You can add in shoulder presses with the kettle bell.

I am trying to be as nice as I can when I say you dont get to 13.5 stone at 5ft 9 from not lifting weights.
    You wont get lean and muscular from just lifting weights.
    Google super workout plan there will be millions of them. Some chargeing money some not. None of them will work unless you sort the grub.

Get the portions down. Get the bread and oatcakes out. Look to get anything that is made in a factory or bakery out.
    Add some meat and some eggsand veg.

Now we have a situation where you can google super exercise plan and all of them will work for you. Thats right every exercise plan made by anybody that has a set of pecs and a 6 pac and an exercise plan is going to work.
    But that fellas pecs and 6 pac werent made from his plan. They were made in his kitchen. His triple xtra hard gainer super workout plan just made the protein he ate turn to muscle.
    The food he ate and avoided made the muscles visible.

Tell us what to recommend and we will recommend that for you.
    Everything that has been recommended has been disregarded by you so far.
    There is no super program that will make you look like Tyler Durden or Brock Lesnar or Sonia O Sullivan.
    Start off by doing 3x10 squats after your runs. Pick up the kettlebell and do them for extra weight.
    Do 3xtotal pressups
    3xtotal dips
    3xtotal pull ups 2 days a week.
    When you find this easy start bench pressing and squating weight.
    You can add in shoulder presses with the kettle bell.

I am trying to be as nice as I can when I say you dont get to 13.5 stone at 5ft 9 from not lifting weights.
    You wont get lean and muscular from just lifting weights.
    Google super workout plan there will be millions of them. Some chargeing money some not. None of them will work unless you sort the grub.

Get the portions down. Get the bread and oatcakes out. Look to get anything that is made in a factory or bakery out.
    Add some meat and some eggsand veg.

Now we have a situation where you can google super exercise plan and all of them will work for you. Thats right every exercise plan made by anybody that has a set of pecs and a 6 pac and an exercise plan is going to work.
    But that fellas pecs and 6 pac werent made from his plan. They were made in his kitchen. His triple xtra hard gainer super workout plan just made the protein he ate turn to muscle.
    The food he ate and avoided made the muscles visible.
    point taken... was only asking mind.

Im sorry if I got a bit shouty my friend. Im also happy you are looking to make a change. I just want you to get something for all the effort you seem prepared to put in. For your goal that was the best advice I can give you.
    I spent years doing all the programs under the sun and never getting anywhere because I refused to believe there was anything wrong with my eating.
    What happened with the running was you ate more food because you were burning more energy. This made you hungry.
    If you dont get a handle on the food you will just eat more when you start working out more. This will keep you at that size and with the small amount of protein will lead to very little muscle gain.
    My protein intake so far today was 3 eggs and about 200g of chicken with my breakfast. 2 chicken breasts with lunch. I will have another 1 or maybe 1and a half chicken breasts with dinner.
    A couple of pints of milk too.
    I dont expect you to do that much right away but it will show you how much protein the muscular lads eat. Im not a huge bodybuilder..............yet. But its coming on great after years of wasting my time thinking the workout needed fixing.
    The rest of my diet consists of veg or rice or the odd orange when Im hungry for it and some curry sauce or some form of jar sauce about twice a week.
    I have other meats today was just very chickeny.
    I do all my workouts at home but may need a squat rack soon. I cycle for cardio.
    People may come along now and say how jar sauces are the devil but it can get very staunch round here. I look good and feel good and thats all my goal is.
    If yiu want to get fat eat more if you want to get skinny eat less if you want to look like superman eat right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For €3/hour jane will come cook for you and help with your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jackieblack07

That seems working but you also need to cut down on extra fats and have a strict diet, try always sticking to a good regime of diet and have a good proportion of Proteins & carbohydrates in your daily intake.

Advertisement