Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Series 9 of Only Connect begins next Monday night, April 14 at 8.30pm on BBC Four/HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hinterland is coming to BBC4 at the end of the month. Enjoyed it on BBC Wales, fairly humourless and grim though. I thought it would merit the Saturday night slot but still, it will get a wider audience on BBC4, even on a Monday night. Starts 28th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2014/17/hinterland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There is another showing of the feature length Morecambe and Wise Bio-pic, 'Eric and Ernie' on Sunday at 10pm. I thought it was decent.
    Drama charting the early years of one of Britain's best comedy double acts, focusing on the influence of Eric Morecambe's mother Sadie (Victoria Wood). A chance meeting on the children's variety circuit sees the start of an unlikely friendship and Eric soon becomes the funnyman to Ernie Wise's `feed'. But as they grow older, the duo struggle to make their way in mainstream entertainment with a few dubious tours and an ill-advised TV series that has the critics gunning for them. Daniel Rigby and Bryan Dick star as Eric and Ernie, with Jim Moir (better known to comedy fans as Vic Reeves) and Reece Shearsmith as their fathers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been a bit quiet here lately as the channel has been in a bit of slow spell, however there is a decent looking doc on at 9 pm
    Documentary recalling events that occurred 50 years ago this bank holiday weekend, when large groups of young people who identified with two disparate subcultures descended upon seaside resorts on motorbikes and scooters - sparking violent confrontations. The programme considers how their repeated clashes created widespread moral panic about the state of British youth, the notion of which was undergoing a vast transformation due to greater prosperity and freedom

Danny Baker is back on BBC Four next Monday at 9pm with a new four part World Cup themed new series of his excellent 'Brush Up' shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045q1dd
    Some sanctuary from the World Cup on BBC FOUR? Not a chance.

But wait, there is actually very little football in this archive romp around the periphery of the four-yearly global jamboree. Danny Baker mulls over all the attendant hoopla, rigmarole, folderol and palaver that comes with this most mammoth of modern circuses.

Mascots! Managers! Fans! Tickets! Endless hours of TV padding! Creepy Kevin Keegan dolls! The tragic death of Pickles the Dog! That sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Excellent. I'll have a bit of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Sounds promising. I am currently enjoying Road to Rio with Mark Watson and Henning Wehn on Dave. They are touring every South American country in advance of the World Cup.
    http://dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/road-rio/episodes/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

wehn is pretty funny - Watson kind of gets on my nerves tho

padders67 wrote: »
    wehn is pretty funny - Watson kind of gets on my nerves tho

Amber is starting on BBC Four next week, Tuesday, I believe.

oh good , will keep any eye for that thanks

• Advertisement

Bump for Danny Bakers Brushing up on the World Cup 9-10 pm Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jimmy greaves lol the 1966 build up clips are comedy gold

found the Danny Baker show hard to watch - know it was meant to be " offbeat " but it was pretty poor viewing

padders67 wrote: »
    found the Danny Baker show hard to watch - know it was meant to be " offbeat " but it was pretty poor viewing

Same here.

Danny Baker's World Cup Brush Up was worth it just for the Panda of Peace losing the plot on Kilroy.

It turns out he is the bloke who has written the 'You Are The Ref' strip in various publications for years

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/07/football.ref

Edit: And Jimmy Greaves ranting on TV-am about the diabolical standard of Weather Forecasts. And Jack Charlton losing the plot on the ITV World Cup Panel.

Hit and Miss but some Marvellous moments.

The last really epic documentary series made by the BBC (15 hours) - Simon Shamas History of Britain is starting on 4 tonight at 9 pm.

BBC Four showing Edge of Darkness again - started last night and continues on following Sundays.

Ah ****! :mad: BBC4 has been so quiet this summer I'd stopped routinely checking the listings

EDIT - where? I have scanned the schedule and cannot see it.

So a reminder for this on Thursday at 11pm
    Holy Flying Circus
    Comedy drama, based on the controversy that surrounded Monty Python's Life of Brian on its release in 1979. As a campaign to ban the film gathered momentum, John Cleese and Michael Palin defended their work by participating in a live TV debate against Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark - but the programme did not go according to plan. Darren Boyd and Charles Edwards star alongside Steve Punt, Rufus Jones, Tom Fisher, Phil Nichol and Stephen Fry
    Category General Movie/Drama

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

evilivor wrote: »
    BBC Four showing Edge of Darkness again - started last night and continues on following Sundays.

Starts next Monday (30th June) at 10pm

Looking forward to it.

http://tvlistings.theguardian.com/text-only/?tvgBroadcaster=UKFreeview&tvgRegion=West&tvgFlagFilter=&tvgDayOffset=7f&tvgChannelName=BBC+4

/mops brow :)

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »

I spotted it on my EPG so went to the BBC site and got the details there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00t726b/broadcasts/2003/06

- after your post I re-looked at it and noticed the date - June 2003.

So apologies for the info being slightly out of date.

Anyway, yeah for Edge of Darkness being back!

Storyville is back next Sunday night at 9 with two new cycling films

The Lance Armstrong Story - Stop at Nothing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048wq0z

Then

Velorama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048wqcc

and, the following Sunday, a repeat of the classic film about Paris–Roubaix.

"A Sunday in Hell"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Edge of Darkness tonight :).

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Edge of Darkness tonight :).

Anyone else think the picture is out of proportion? ...slightly "flattened"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thought that was just in my head! I couldn't really describe it any better. Just slightly flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

I watched it on HD and it didn't look flattened to me.

It was a square picture though not widescreen. (don't ask me to be more technical :o)

It was made in 1985 shot on 16mm in standard 4:3 mono format. No bias one way or the other. Were you watching on UPC by any chance, or is your tv setting wrong so the image gets stretched?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

It was made in 1985 shot on 16mm in standard 4:3 mono format. No bias one way or the other. Were you watching on UPC by any chance, or is your tv setting wrong so the image gets stretched?

Thanks. No not UPC. It was a satellite SD broadcast and I don't think the tv is wrongly set cos I haven't noticed the problem with other programmes.

What do you mean "No bias one way or the other"?

Well its not distorted in any way, the 16mm camera lens used are completely neutral, some systems did introduce slight distortion - like Techniscope due to its spherical lens.

I mentioned UPC as on some channels like Dave, GOLD which show 4:3 ratio programmes the image is re-framed so it fills more of the 16:9 screen space. It looks terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Enjoying Rebels of Oz. Just goes to show what a cultural backwater Australia has always been.

Advertisement