Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I suck at push ups !

Options
  • 23-06-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I've been going the gym about 2-3 months after.a long long break.

I've never been good at push ups -- and I really suck -- it's embarrassing -- I can only manage 4-5 ( **** I know)

Is the only way to get better at these is to do some everyday and try increase it 1-2 each time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

NeVeR wrote: »

I've never been good at push ups -- and I really suck -- it's embarrassing -- I can only manage 4-5 ( **** I know)

Is the only way to get better at these is to do some everyday and try increase it 1-2 each time.

If it was me, I'd try doing my limit 2-3 times a day. Then increase by 1 or 2 every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Slydice wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd try doing my limit 2-3 times a day. Then increase by 1 or 2 every few days.

This^^, plus try doing higher reps of easier press ups, on your knees, against a table or chair. Work on your lower back and core too. A lot of people who are poor at press ups drop their arse because their lower back and core is weak. Could also try stick 2 or 3 books under your stomach and do half press ups and focus on pushing your whole body up all at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Slydice wrote: »

lets say i can do 2 x 5 or 6 each time. Do you mean do that 2-3 times a day then add another set (5/6 ) or does you mean try adding to the 5/6 i can do.

So from 5 or 6 x 2 - 2 to 3 times per day to 5 or 6 x 2 4-5 time perday
    OR
    7 or 8 x 2 2 - 3 times per day :)

Ant11 wrote: »
    This^^, plus try doing higher reps of easier press ups, on your knees, against a table or chair. Work on your lower back and core too. A lot of people who are poor at press ups drop their arse because their lower back and core is weak. Could also try stick 2 or 3 books under your stomach and do half press ups and focus on pushing your whole body up all at once.

I tried the knee ones today and was able to get up to 12 - i did 12 in a mix of other times about 4 times. I might have been able to push it to 15. I'll try it in the gym tomorrow.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I was using one of the programmes or schedules on this website, most I could do to start with in a minute was about 20 and within a month I could knock out 70-80 in a row no problem...easy to do on the sitting room floor I found!

hundredpushups.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Light bench press will help you doing pushups if that's an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

make sure your form is right,
    legs together, bum tight, back flat, elbows in and the pit of your elbow points forward, bend them straight back.
    Screw your hands into the ground(right hand clockwise, left anti clockwise) to get your shoulders tight.

If youre holding everything tight then they are much easier. the moment you lose the tightness you've reached your max so stop.

thanks for the replies.

I'm going to start this hundredpushups.com tonight.. I go the gym every morning so i should be able to add this in.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Not breathing properly was a mistake I used to make, something you might need to watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

steve_r wrote: »
    Not breathing properly was a mistake I used to make, something you might need to watch as well.

Is exhaling on way up, inhale on way down any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

aloyisious wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much. But like already said, do it every day (or every second day) and increase the amount you do. So if you can only do 5, then do a set of 5, take a break, do another set of 5, take a break and do a final set of 5 (this will be harder obviously) Then after a few days, do three sets of 6 (or 7 if you can) you'll get there in time.

If it's easier, do half push-ups for a while until you get the strength in your arms/shoulders and when you can do (for example) three sets of ten "half push-ups then do proper push-ups. (By half push-ups, I mean leaving your knees on the ground so it's not as strenuous on you)

Good luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

aloyisious wrote: »

Yeah, you might already have this part of it under control. I'll let the others guide you regarding push up techniques etc. Useful thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

A friend of mine can squat 180kg but can't knock out more than a few pull ups or push ups - mainly because he weighs 120kg! Perhaps your weight could be making them more difficult? I think it's very much a technique thing with push ups too because I definitely haven't increased any strength in the past few months but my numbers are still going up. One thing I remember from years ago was I used to find them very hard and a guy pointed out one day that my hands were too far forward; I brought them back a bit and straightaway noticed the difference. Maybe it's something small like that which you need to change?

TheBellJar wrote: »
    A friend of mine can squat 180kg but can't knock out more than a few pull ups or push ups - mainly because he weighs 120kg! Perhaps your weight could be making them more difficult? I think it's very much a technique thing with push ups too because I definitely haven't increased any strength in the past few months but my numbers are still going up. One thing I remember from years ago was I used to find them very hard and a guy pointed out one day that my hands were too far forward; I brought them back a bit and straightaway noticed the difference. Maybe it's something small like that which you need to change?

I'm floating around 215lbs.. but i was over 237lb 2 months ago. So i'm getting lighter :)

I've watched a lot of videos about them over the last 2 days.

I tried some today in the gym. I managed 7-8 .. then waited 60 seconds and did about 5-6 .. then waited and did the same again.

I also did about 10 x 2 knee press ups.

I'm still finding them very hard ( normal ones )

last week i did have my hands in the wrong place.. like you said to far in front .. I wasn't working my crest at all. But after watching the videos I corrected that. Still tricky to place them in the right place.. but i'm sure i'll get it.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just keep plugging away, you will get there. The only trick is stubborn determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

try hundredpushups.com. It's basically just building up resistance, but its a bit of fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I'm floating around 215lbs.. but i was over 237lb 2 months ago. So i'm getting lighter :)

I've watched a lot of videos about them over the last 2 days.

I tried some today in the gym. I managed 7-8 .. then waited 60 seconds and did about 5-6 .. then waited and did the same again.

I also did about 10 x 2 knee press ups.

I'm still finding them very hard ( normal ones )

last week i did have my hands in the wrong place.. like you said to far in front .. I wasn't working my crest at all. But after watching the videos I corrected that. Still tricky to place them in the right place.. but i'm sure i'll get it.

Thanks for the replies.

TBH I wouldnt bother with knee press ups, purely because you cannot stay rigid, once you cannot stay rigid they become much much harder.

Being on your knees means you cannot keep your glutes tight, which causes your lower back to bend, which means your shoulders cannot stay tense and youll struggle to lift.

What is a better way to scale is to put a block or step under your hands to raise you up, this alleviates your body weight making them easier while still allowing you to have correct form, youll get much more benefit from 5 push ups like this than 10x2 knee push ups.

Also, non perfect form reps do not count.

Advertisement