Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longmire [A&E/Netflix - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

Well that's a way to start the weekend, two pieces of really terrible news in the space of 20 minutes. Hopefully Netflix will pick up the show, it's constantly in the popular On Netflix selection and it has a damn good audience of 3.7 million people so it's a rather enticing venture for any number of networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Ah, that's the worst news EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

great show but how much more of the main arc was left? another 10 eps season of it?

who would want one more season? similar to southland thought and it got two more decent seasons out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah crap. :(

There was at least another season of content there, but it could have gone on for years.

Crap crap crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭squonk

NO WAY!!!! :(:(. That was unexpected! Show deserved another season for sure, just to wrap that Branch arc up. I'm sad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lets hope there will be some buyers out there.
    Longmire, A&E Network’s most-watched original drama series of all time, will be ending its run on the cable network after three seasons. In a surprising move, the network has opted not to renew the series for a fourth season. I hear Warner Horizon, the studio behind Longmire, will be shopping it immediately. “We would like to thank the phenomenal cast, crew and producers of Longmire, along with our partners at Warner Horizon, for their tireless work on three seasons of quality dramatic storytelling,” A&E said in a statement. “We are incredibly proud of what we have achieved together.”

http://deadline.com/2014/08/longmire-cancelled-by-ae-will-be-shopped-elsewhere-826379/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

They have ruined Christmas! :mad:

Feck I thought I'd be OK with this but it's been bothering me all day. It's not like A&E have that many dramatic shows anyway. I'd sooner have seen Bates Motel go than Longmire. I'm really hoping for a buyer. It's a stupid, stupid decision.

squonk wrote: »
    Feck I thought I'd be OK with this but it's been bothering me all day. It's not like A&E have that many dramatic shows anyway. I'd sooner have seen Bates Motel go than Longmire. I'm really hoping for a buyer. It's a stupid, stupid decision.

It's got a strong loyal following, critics who bother to cover it rave about it, it sells around the world and is one of the most popular shows on Netflix and they pull the plug. It really makes no sense though it's not the first time they've done so. Hopefully Netflix will jump on this as we really need a show like this on air. It's one of the only procedural shows where death is given the impact it has, where respect is shown and where you never feel like a ghoulish voyeur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

My favourite show since BSG ended...... WHAT in the actual ****?

962.gif

• Advertisement

Warner Bros have spent the past weeks putting together a pitch to sell the site. Both Netflix and Amazon are on the list of possible buyers, with Amazon heading already expressed interest in picking up the show.

Supposedly A&E's decision to cancel the show is down to the fact that the fans are too old. Much like with Harry's Law, Longmire did great ratings wise but didn't coterie the coveted 18-35 or so age bracket.

I really hope the show is picked up, hell if I had the money I'd happily pay for another series. It's just damn great TV and a nice change from TV procedurals that seen more interested in depicting misery than in telling a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Warner Bros have spent the past weeks putting together a pitch to sell the site. Both Netflix and Amazon are on the list of possible buyers, with Amazon heading already expressed interest in picking up the show.

Supposedly A&E's decision to cancel the show is down to the fact that the fans are too old. Much like with Harry's Law, Longmire did great ratings wise but didn't coterie the coveted 18-35 or so age bracket.

I really hope the show is picked up, hell if I had the money I'd happily pay for another series. It's just damn great TV and a nice change from TV procedurals that seen more interested in depicting misery than in telling a story.

Damming everyone posting in this thread to a bus pass. You have to wonder whats in it for netflix or amazon though, I imagine their subscribers would be even younger than a TV audience and if Longmire's fans are older aren't they less likely to be subscribers? Am I too ageist? Or is this driven by the fact that programs are made for advertisers rather than for audiences outside of subscription models.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Damming everyone posting in this thread to a bus pass. You have to wonder whats in it for netflix or amazon though, I imagine their subscribers would be even younger than a TV audience and if Longmire's fans are older aren't they less likely to be subscribers? Am I too ageist? Or is this driven by the fact that programs are made for advertisers rather than for audiences outside of subscription models.

The problem with network TV is that advertisers decide what gets kept on. Believe it or not but ratings wise, Longmire pulls in more viewers than the critical and commercial darling that is Mad Men. In the US the 17-35 demograph is what advertisers want, they are the people with the most disposable income and as such they're the market to target ads toward. It's sad that there's such an ageist agenda in play as given it's ratings Longmire should be assured of a number of more series. It's a shame that TNT have opted not to hear the pitch, they're the ideal network for the show though amazon's early interest is reassuring.

If you look through the popular on Netflix tab you'll see that Longmire is in near constant rotation there. It's does really well on Netflix who do have a lot of older subscribers. The us ratings system is antiqued and in serious need of an overhaul, a show such as Longmire is one that a network should get behind and give that extra push to, not cancel it because they don't get enough young viewers. As a 28 year old male I found the show be amongst the best things on TV, a mature, adult show that didn't resort to sex or violence in order to try and be grown up. Instead it relied on strong writing, good performances and intelligent and interesting stories. Throw in the gorgeous photography and beautiful locations and there's not much you can fault the show for. It's cancellation came at the worst possible time too, series four was shaping up nicely and I'm dieing to see what happens when Henry takes up the mantle of reservation vigilante. Will he clash with Walt, or will Walt once again show his human side and recognise that justice doesn't always work the way the law thinks it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just seeing this news now. Bollocks. Absolutely crazy decision. Season 3 was superb and felt like the show was going from strength to strength. Sake.

If you are on Twitter it's #LongLiveLongmire. Thanks to Ferg..

https://twitter.com/Adam_Bartley/status/513133104836657152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/ae-cancels-longmire

Sad news.

Just finished season one and really, really enjoyed it.

Lot of talk that USA are close to officially picking the show up. Really would be great to see the show picked up and I imagine that the 5.6 million viewers of the show is rather appealing.

That'd be good. Ordinarilly I'd be going "Say what???" at that news but Graceland shows USA could carry the show alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Every time there's a new post in thread I look forward to seeing if there's news on the show but I moreso look forward to watching the Daniels from The Wire gif again. At least 5 loops. Every time.

• Advertisement

Some good news for the show, the cast contracts aren't up till next February meaning that there's no mad rush to get a pick up. The cast and show runners all seem confident that the show will find a new home wgich is helped by the news that there was an error in reporting the Nielsen ratings and the viewing figures were most likely better than reported.

My heart does a little flutter every time I see this thread bumped. Any day now... :)

I really so think that we will see Longmire get a pick up. It's just too good not to, the writing is amongst the best on TV and puts a lot of highbrow cable fare to shame. It's also got fantastic viewership figures, most networks would kill for the numbers Longmire got and given that it's relatively inexpensive to make it really is a package that should appeal to most networks. That said I recently discovered that the world is rarely fair and good things don't always happen when you need them to, so while Criminal Minds sets up its elevent series and NCIS gets another spinoff Longmire may just quietly be left to die.

A new series would be great, but I'd be happy with just one more episode to resolve the season 3 finale. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    A new series would be great, but I'd be happy with just one more episode to resolve the season 3 finale. :)

You could wrap up most of the loose ends with an episode or two but the series three finale hinted at a real interesting new direction for the show. Henry becoming the new Hector was a bold move and I really want to see how it plays out, it'll create a new drubs mic between Henry and Walt and was something which could have been used to explore Walt's inherent sense of justice. Just how far would Walt go to do the right thing, would he help Henry kill if it was just?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Do any of the books bare any relation to the TV series. Tempted to get stuck into them as some kind of substitute.

It'll be a sad day if it doesn't get picked up, my favourite show of many a year.

• Advertisement

What does that error in the Nielson ratings mean? Could A&E reverse their decision to cancel based on this info?

RE Nielson... WTF??? They have one job to do and it's pretty piss poor work if a show gets cancelled based on their mistake! Just shows what a complete and utter joke ratings are at this point. I really wish the industry and it's lawyers got their collective asses in gear so there was a legitimate means of watching new shows across the world in or around time of airing. I'd be happy to pay for any service that allowed this, returned revenue back to the shows I love and allowed networks to truly see what shows were really popular and what were just dogs. I'm pretty sure an awful lot of reality TV dross would fall by the wayside (deservedly) if such a model existed.

So it wasn't cancellced because the ratings were hittting the wrong demo.

From Craig Johnson who's books it is based on.
    “The storm that hit them, from people older than 49, was truly a tsunami of anger,” Johnson said. That demographic has 75 percent of the country’s disposable income, he added.
    The next spin was basically the truth, he said. “They wanted to own the show.”
    In other words, A&E wanted either a whole “Longmire” loaf or no “Longmire” loaf.
    Warner Brothers — Warner Horizon Television — produced “Longmire,” and licensed it to A&E. Warner had the licensing fees and A&E had the advertising revenue.
    That wasn’t enough for the network, Johnson said.
    “A&E said if you don’t sell it to us, we’re going to cancel it. So Warner Brothers said, well that’s fine, you do what you need to do. So A&E canceled the show.”

“Now, Warner Brothers and all the producers are out there re-pitching the show to a bunch of networks and services, and we’re just waiting to see what it is that’s going to happen,” Johnson said.
    He hears different rumors daily, he said. “It’s interesting to see who’s in play, you know, who’s not in play.”
    http://k2radio.com/longmire-author-solves-mystery-of-ae-network-show-cancellation-still-has-questions-about-shows-future/

Feck it anyway, thought the good news had arrived, hopes dashed again!

Feck it anyway, thought the good news had arrived, hopes dashed again!

On the plus side, it seems to dispel any lingering suspicions anyone had regarding the show's popularity/commerical viability.

A&E wanted to own it, Warner were quite happy to refuse the Network to have it.

I really hope they sort it.

Sounds good :D (Fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Apparently good 'ol Netflix are in talks with A&E to take over for a fourth season.

Netflix saves the day!!!!
    Netflix has closed a deal for a 10-episode fourth season of the drama series to premiere in 2015 on Netflix’s platforms
    “When Warner Horizon Television came to us with the idea for a new season of Longmire, we were intrigued because the series is so unique, and consistently great,” said Cindy Holland, VP of Original Content at Netflix. “We are thrilled to help continue Walt Longmire’s story for his large and passionate following.”

http://deadline.com/2014/11/netflix-picks-up-longmire-1201289364/

Fantastic. :)

Now the question is whether or not they will release all 10 at once? That would be a VERY good weekend!

Fantastic, the soiree at the Red Pony gets to carry on.

How will next season end for Branch? He must dread it!

Excellant! Looking forward to catching up now!

And a wink to all you who remember the reference!

All hail Netflix.

Really great news, got a message the second it was announced and it made my day. Really looking forward to seeing what they do now that a number of network restrictions are lifted, they'll have way more freedom and I'm hoping that it's a show that'll continue on for many years.

TCM still retain the UK broadcast rights for it.

So it won't streaming here at the same time as the rest of the world.

This happened with with Lillyhammer as well when BBC 3 bought the rights before Netflix opened here.

I know most of us have Netflix passports but for those who just watch it here it will be on TCM.

Production is set to begin in March.

Longmire will return on Netflix for a fourth season during the later half of 2015.

I cannot wait for series four, as my posts in this thread show I'm a huge fan of the show and recommend it to everyone. Currently rewatching the Dog Soldier episode and the scene of Walt telling the social worker "I'm only a phone call and 20 minute drive away" is just sublime. TV doesn't get all that much better than Longmire and if dross like Criminal Minds and CSI can get to ten series there is no reason that Longmire shouldn't continue for many more years.

• Advertisement

Well said.

Awhile back after a night on the town I sent in my headshot aka the best smoldering picture of me to the open casting call for roles. Got an email today inviting me to come in and audition for a role in Longmire. Now if only I wasn't in Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Watched the first episode of this last night and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, nothing too complicated, very easygoing and has a dry wit about it. Will definitely be watching more of it.

den87 wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of this last night and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, nothing too complicated, very easygoing and has a dry wit about it. Will definitely be watching more of it.

It's my favourite show, delighted netflix saved it. Well worth watching, then watching it through again whilst waiting for new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

It's my favourite show, delighted netflix saved it. Well worth watching, then watching it through again whilst waiting for new season.

How many seasons are on Netflix? Are they adding more?

den87 wrote: »
    How many seasons are on Netflix? Are they adding more?

First 2 on US Netflix afaik, not sure when 3rd is getting an airing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Advertisement