Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Olympic bar

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've a couple of the Again Faster ladies bars. I like them a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭BrianD3

danceash wrote: »
    I'm looking to get an Olypic bar and I'm wondering would anybody here have experience in dealing with strengthshop.co.uk ? Do they have quality bars for the price? I was looking to get this bar
    https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weightlifting/bars/strength-shop-women-s-15kg-perpetual-weightlifting-bar-w-lifetime-warranty.html
    If anybody has infromation on them or any other good companies I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    I've no experience of that particular bar but Strengthshop are very good to deal with. Among other stuff I have the "Olympic Weightlifting Bar - Spring Steel Shaft" which is cheaper with less warranty than the bar you're looking at. I can't comment on it's robustness for Olympic lifting as I don't drop it from overhead.

Strengthshop regularly have bars on special offer, keep an eye on the weekly specials. Eg the normal price for the Taishan weightlifting bar is £799 but on several occasions it has been way cheaper than that in the weekly specials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I agree with Brian that strength shop are a good company to deal with. However, I would be hesitant to go with their bars if they are going to be dropped from overhead frequently. I have had two of the men's spring steel weightlifting bars and they both crapped out after a couple of months use. The first one bent and later one of the sleeves locked up. Got a replacement and it's sleeve locked up after a couple of months as well.

I have to say that they're customer service is good, they covered all the shipping costs for sending the first bar back and the second one out. It's more a case of the bar just not being a high enough quality.

With female bars you are going to have to spend a bit more on a quality bar due to the diameter being smaller. The tensile strength of the steel used will have to be higher. You can sometimes get away with lower tensile strength on mens bars because they are thicker, that's why a lot of cheap bars can be as larger as 32mm.

The Again Faster bar that Hanley recommended might be a good choice if your on a tight budget. Lots of good reviews from the States about them and they have a good warranty on their products as well. It is a bushing bar though which will require a bit of maintenance every so often.

Pendlay bars get good reviews as well and are becoming more common on this side of the pond. They come in both bushing and bearing models, with the bearing model being a bit more pricey. An Irish store (D8 fitness) is getting these in soon, next week I think. Strength shop sell them too. Pendlay bars come with a lifrtime warranty as well AFAIK.

Then you have your eleiko, werksan etc. which are all quite expensive but will last a lifetime.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

yes ideally i would get an eleiko bar but at the moment funds don't allow.Thanks for the replys i will have a look at the bars suggested.

Advertisement