Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    edit: Actually, that's the one I have

wrong one :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How much are the loose Snes consoles in RAGE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    How much are the loose Snes consoles in RAGE?

Too much, are you in need of one?

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Too much, are you in need of one?

I am good sir :) I don't want to mod my US one, & Terranigma is both region & 50Hz locked so even an import adapter won't work {you need an Action Replay I think which I've no interest in, an excuse to get another console seems better to me :D}.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I am good sir :) I don't want to mod my US one, & Terranigma is both region & 60Hz locked so even an import adapter won't work {you need an Action Replay I think which I've no interest in, an excuse to get another console seems better to me :D}.

I'm sure I have one you can have if you need it, it's fairly discoloured but works grand. Leave it with me for a couple of days and I will dig it out.

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I'm sure I have one you can have if you need it, it's fairly discoloured but works grand. Leave it with me for a couple of days and I will dig it out.

Absolutely, thanks a mill dude :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Absolutely, thanks a mill dude :)
    Billy-Doc-and-Chavez-Pals-young-guns-9788086-210-299.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I knew the sexy curves of the PAL Snes would call you back ;)

o1s1n wrote: »
    I knew the sexy curves of the PAL Snes would call you back ;)

It'll be used to play one game, & then retired :o

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Never thought I'd see Earthbound on adverts now, pity no manual with it

image.png

€135 for a boxed Chronotrigger seems dear to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got mine with all the crap for $130 delivered. Can be got fir around €100 or even cheaper with patience and checking euro listings like Germany. I've gotten some great Snes deals from there. Just don't use Hermes post at all.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I got mine with all the crap for $130 delivered. Can be got fir around €100 or even cheaper with patience and checking euro listings like Germany. I've gotten some great Snes deals from there. Just don't use Hermes post at all.

Sure you could say the same for most games, look long & hard enough & you'll eventually get a good price. Even if it can be got for €100, since when does €135 denote 'not sure if serious'? :confused:

Sure you could say the same for most games, look long & hard enough & you'll eventually get a good price. Even if it can be got for €100, since when does €135 denote 'not sure if serious'? :confused:

Missing the map and poster though. Yeah it's not a bad price and handy being in Ireland and all.

Like if your going to spend that much I'd want it fully complete.

Missing the map and poster though. Yeah it's not a bad price and handy being in Ireland and all.

Aye map & poster missing, which make a difference to the price for sure. Given it's adverts, & given it's only an asking price, I thought €135 was pretty decent.

€135 for a boxed Chronotrigger seems dear to you?

genuinely don't know what kinda prices they go for

Aye map & poster missing, which make a difference to the price for sure. Given it's adverts, & given it's only an asking price, I thought €135 was pretty decent.

Actually surely it has adverts tax on it so realistically is only up for €40. Make the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got my unboxed copy for €60, I was happy to have such a beautiful thing in my life at last.
    I hoping for a Spring wedding.... I shall wear white....

Actually surely it has adverts tax on it so realistically is only up for €40. Make the offer.

Nah, I have it CIB already...though for €40 I must just Steve SI the thing :P

Master of the Universe

I got my unboxed copy for €60, I was happy to have such a beautiful thing in my life at last.
    I hoping for a Spring wedding.... I shall wear white....

I think mine was something like 40 unboxed years and years ago - and that seemed expensive at the time!

Cant wait to see what popular classic games are going for in another 10-20 years. I wonder will they go up and up or will they reach a peak?

I'd say they could be peaking right now. The way I see it is that the children who played SNES and MD growing up are all in their early adulthood at this stage and have some purchasing power. Maybe in 20 years the 360 will be a collectors item?

Master of the Universe

I'd say they could be peaking right now. The way I see it is that the children who played SNES and MD growing up are all in their early adulthood at this stage and have some purchasing power. Maybe in 20 years the 360 will be a collectors item?

Yep, definitely makes sense. Nostalgia kicking in with people who have money.

Long term there's another thing to consider though - antique type collectors. Guys who collect antique furniture/toys/military gear/etc weren't necessarily around when the stuff was in use. So they are purely 100% into collecting those things. Maybe we'll see something in the future with videogames.

And here's an even more bizarre thought, what if the games and consoles stop working - will there still be collectors?

People collect stamps and trading cards which basically have zero use, could we see the same thing happen with games?

Cd based games will suffer oxidation of the data layer at some stage, I think they're generally supposed to be good for 40/50 years? Carts will go next, with eproms eventually giving up the ghost...though they're good for 100 or so years.

Yeah its very hard to tell. Maybe consoles will become big restoration projects for people in the future

Master of the Universe

Cd based games will suffer oxidation of the data layer at some stage, I think they're generally supposed to be good for 40/50 years? Carts will go next, with eproms eventually giving up the ghost...though they're good for 100 or so years.

Jaysus, 40-50 years isn't really that long is it? I remember hearing '100 years' when CDs first came out over here. But then they were also saying how you could scratch the surface as much as you want and they'd still work :D

It is worrying though. Imagine opening up something like Panzer Dragoon Saga/Radiant Silvergun only to discover that oxidation had set in?

We should all expire long before our carts do though (!). Then again, that shifts the worry from my collection to my own mortality haha
    Yeah its very hard to tell. Maybe consoles will become big restoration projects for people in the future

Heh, I have these visions of old lads with monocles and top hats analyzing Megadrives/Snes consoles in 50 years on the antiques roadshow.

Appraiser: 'Do you know what this machine is? Where did you get it?'

Guest: 'I'm not too sure what this is to be honest. I think a toaster? This slot looks big enough for a slice of bread. My grandad used to always go on about how great it was but we never really listened to him or tried out toast in it ourselves'

Well the markets are becoming sh1te for finding carts any more.
    The last year or two has seen the prevalent games going from PS2 to 360 and PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jaysus, 40-50 years isn't really that long is it? I remember hearing '100 years' when CDs first came out over here. But then they were also saying how you could scratch the surface as much as you want and they'd still work :D

That's audio CD's, for can drill a 2mm hole in a disc and it should still play fine - typical cd player spends most of its time doing error correction.

Data cd's have no such luxury and are so much easier to destroy.

Well the markets are becoming sh1te for finding carts any more.
    The last year or two has seen the prevalent games going from PS2 to 360 and PS3.

Can't remember the last time I saw even a Xbox or Dreamcast game for sale, even the car boot stuff is mostly newer stuff now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

In 20-30-40 years I'd hope that we have the technology to properly protect and preserve working CD/DVD's and Carts etc. (not backup, preserve the original while still being usable).

Master of the Universe

Speaking of future tech, I wonder how far off a 'video film' is? As in a plastic thin surface (like a screen protector) can produce video in itself? Or one which was malleable like a membrane?

Was just thinking how great such a thing may be for future failed CRTs. You could place the film over the existing monitor and it would produce an image to appear like it was coming from the monitor itself.

In 30 years my arthritis will be so bad I won't be able to hold a controller..

There are so many factors involved its impossible to predict what medium will last the longest. Ironically newer stuff (90's / 00's) will probably fail first.

Google for "red phosphorus packaging" and "tin whiskers" for a read on some of the electronics industries dirty little secrets..

Master of the Universe

"tin whiskers"

Just reading up on that and yet again, another thing which lead in solder was good at preventing.

Damn EU!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    In 20-30-40 years I'd hope that we have the technology to properly protect and preserve working CD/DVD's and Carts etc. (not backup, preserve the original while still being usable).

I will probably have bigger problems by 2053, like is my colostomy bag due changing.
    Long before the media snuffs it the players will be toast.
    Unless you happen to have a plentiful supply of spares for your console collection and the skills to install them you could be screwed

I will probably have bigger problems by 2053, like is my colostomy bag due changing.
    Long before the media snuffs it the players will be toast.
    Unless you happen to have a plentiful supply of spares for your console collection and the skills to install them you could be screwed

It's not really the consoles I'd be worried about, they can at least be repaired or modified to work. Discs though...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Just to let you guys know Our store Retropolis has moved From Thomas Street to Camden street, and the grand reopening is Tomorrow 11-6PM

In the Ferocious Mingle
    60 Camden street
    Dublin 2

for more information and maps ect.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Retropolis/561122793905786

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retropolis wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know Our store Retropolis has moved From Thomas Street to Camden street, and the grand reopening is Tomorrow 11-6PM

In the Ferocious Mingle
    60 Camden street
    Dublin 2

Got anything special planned for the grand re-opening? :P

Retropolis wrote: »

In the Ferocious Mingle
    60 Camden street
    Dublin 2

shame you don't open earlier in the week than Thursday, rarely get to visit because of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Will have a Sale on tomorrow, with €5 off anything €10 and above.

Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »

Jesus christ! :eek:

And the winner of bad taste furniture goes to....

Jesus christ! :eek:

And the winner of bad taste furniture goes to....

Ha ha ha
    Imagine trying to explain that to customs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wow thats something, i never thought id feel sick looking at a chair.. then this..

keithgeo wrote: »
    Wow thats something, i never thought id feel sick looking at a chair.. then this..

Same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's definitely an acquired taste. Maybe if you're into elephants or something.

Why do I think that stool should be sold by this man

BVz0_3FIMAAAfo1.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement