Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useless weapons

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

So I played Dead Space for the first time there recently. I had a great time with it but one thing that really annoyed me was the ripper weapon, because it's completely useless. It fires a spinning disc that doesn't go nearly far enough and takes ages to actually kill something. Maybe it's a very effective weapon for someone who knows how to use it properly. I, on the other hand, prefer my weapons to be very simple to use, and anyway I didn't have much time to experiment with the ripper due to all the Necromorphs coming out of the ****ing walls!

Then there's the assault rifle in Unreal Tournament 2004, which is the default non-melee weapon that you start off with. I've some extremely fond memories of the Enforcer pistol from Unreal Tournament; it was a reasonably accurate gun with lots of firepower (a gorgeous 25 in damage for one hit) which made every re-spawning player a proper threat. In 2004 we get the assault rifle which has a better fire rate but is less accurate and only takes off 7 in damage with each hit. The time you need to take off half of someone's health is roughly the same as they need to sidle up to you with a flak cannon and a big grin.

So enough ranting from me: in all your gaming experience what were the most useless weapons you had the bad luck to pick up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭klose

For multiplayer twould have to be the ASP in black ops, everything about it was awful, useless yoke...

Retro lancer in gears 3 I found pretty bad too, is there really a need for that much recoil for an over the shoulder shooter game? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The blob rifle in the Unreal games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Klob (Scorpion SMG) in Goldeneye on the N64, even two of them was pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Retro lancer in gears 3 I found pretty bad too, is there really a need for that much recoil for an over the shoulder shooter game? :pac:

The Retro Lance has it's place, I'd love it if it had even a bit more ammo.

It actually feels like you are doing damage compared to the Lancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Handgun in Halo 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The handgun in ANY game.

The ripper in Dead Space is the most overpowered weapon. If you hold the spinning disk infront of you and let enemies walk into it they come apart VERY quickly.

In FF7 any of Barretts close range weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

The Klob (Scorpion SMG) in Goldeneye on the N64, even two of them was pointless.
    Definitely the first that sprang to mind for me. The Klobb is so bleedin' inaccurate and slow... Gimme the RC-P90 any day!

I also vote for the knuckle duster in Doom. If you have to resort to that, forget about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That was the tea-bagging of its day!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

F2000 in mw2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The handgun in ANY game.

The ripper in Dead Space is the most overpowered weapon. If you hold the spinning disk infront of you and let enemies walk into it they come apart VERY quickly.

In FF7 any of Barretts close range weapons.

To be fair the handgun in the first Halo is powerful enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The handgun in ANY game.

Except the totally broken handgun in the original Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Retr0gamer wrote: »

What, that weapon is amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Takes a bit of skill to aim but full charge is guaranteed kill on hit through any amount of armour and shielding (think it was nerfed in UT3 but it was still damn powerful).

Assault rifle on the other hand is utter garbage for sure. Spawn, get your shield out and leg it to the nearest weapon, don't even point that **** at anyone lest they smell it and come after you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I really liked the blob rifle.

Except the totally broken handgun in the original Halo.

And the Enforcer in Unreal Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Bubble gun in earthworm Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

F2000 in mw2.

except when it had the shotgun glitch. if you put the shotgun attachment on it it had infinite range, so no matter where the enemy was long as they were in your line of sight you could get a kill, sniping across the map with a shottie :pac: they fixed it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Ripper in Dead Space is great! It's a game designed around the chopping of limbs, and the Ripper is designed solely to achieve that simple goal.

I'll say the Portal Gun. It's a great device, no doubt about it, one of the best gaming has to offer. But as far as the process of actually being a piece of weaponry, it's unnecessarily awkward. Sure, the effects can be spectacular, and without the restrictions it could be a WMD of epic proportions, but sometimes you wish you could just shoot these frickin' turrets.

What, that weapon is amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Takes a bit of skill to aim but full charge is guaranteed kill on hit through any amount of armour and shielding (think it was nerfed in UT3 but it was still damn powerful).

Assault rifle on the other hand is utter garbage for sure. Spawn, get your shield out and leg it to the nearest weapon, don't even point that **** at anyone lest they smell it and come after you. :pac:

I don't care how good it was. It was the concept of throwing snot at enemies that makes it the worst weapon in videogames ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't care how good it was. It was the concept of throwing snot at enemies that makes it the worst weapon in videogames ever.

I think you're just jealous of the people who can use the weapons properly and who used them to your demise! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The glock in CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

MadYaker wrote: »
    The glock in CSS.

say what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The UMP in css is probably one of the worst weapons I've ever used in a game... and the dualies in 1.6 are equally bad iirc !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Magill wrote: »
    The UMP in css is probably one of the worst weapons I've ever used in a game... and the dualies in 1.6 are equally bad iirc !

Yeah easily. I prefered the glock in burst fire mode to the USP..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Bombchus, deku nuts, nayrus love, din's fire and the other one. waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Bombchus, deku nuts, nayrus love, din's fire and the other one. waste of time.

Bombchus definitely had their place.

As did Dins fire! Sure how else would you get into the Shadow temple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

everything i ever found in diablo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Empty tin can in Dayz/Arma or the rock in the vanilla game.

it can injure people but .....why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Slingshot in Zelda and any guns in later levels against bulletsponge enemies cough Max Payne 3 cough...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The BB gun in Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Take it you weren't a big fan of Boogerman on the snes then?

A PICK AND FLICK ADVENTURE! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

GTR63 wrote: »
    Slingshot in Zelda and any guns in later levels against bulletsponge enemies cough Max Payne 3 cough...

There were only two heavily armoured guys in the whole game, everyone else can be taken out with single headshots iirc. I think I played MP3 almost entirely with dual 9mm pistols picking off headshots.

So back on topic, every gun in Max Payne 3 that wasn't a 9mm :eek:

Advertisement