Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heinz Pig 'n' Porter 2011

Options
  • 08-07-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Pig ‘n’ Porter is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. There will be 120 teams comprising of some 1800 players.

It really is a great event for the city, providing a lot of funds for businesses in the city with I expect a lot of hotel rooms to be booked out as teams from around the city, county and country, and from further afield to descend on the city - some say its worth 10 million to the city ;)

This year the charity partner is St. Gabriels School, http://www.stgabriels.ie/ based in Dooradoyle, Limerick, provides education and a range of therapy services to children and young adults with physical, intellectual and sensory disabilities and developmental delay.

This year's event schedule is as follows:
    FRIDAY 15TH JULY 2011

9.30am – 12.00pm official breakfast launch of the 10th Heinz Pig ‘n’ Porter with Tom Dunne of Newstalk broadcasting live from Old Crescent RFC.

7pm – late live from the piggery, Old Crescent Rugby Grounds The Rubberbandits charity gig. (All proceeds go to Reach Out) (Support acts; Campaign LK, Strypes, One Day
    Nation). Tickets available from Ticketmaster followed by… late – ridiculously late the legendary welcome party in
    Peter Clohessy’s bar & The Sin Bin.

SATURDAY 16TH JULY 2011

The largest tag rugby festival in the world where teams
    from Ireland, UK and France compete in the legendary
    Heinz Pig ‘n’ Porter Tag Rugby Festival in our venues , Old
    Crescent RFC & Crescent College Comprehensive.

LIVE MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT

• DJ Joe From 1-5pm- Old Crescent
    • DJ Baz From 1-5pm – Crescent Comp
    • Live music ‘Free Beer’ 6-8pm
    • Headline act Whitewater & Disco till late!!!
    • Pitchside jaccuzzi will be available for those weary bodies
    (bring your togs & towel)
    • Bucking Bronco.., are you brave enough??
    • Fancy dress competition.. Anything goes!! Get creative.

Sponsored Prizes for best dressed team, best dressed guy
    & girl!!

SUNDAY 17TH JULY 2011

HAIR OF THE HOG

Come down to the club, collect your car, reminisce on what
    a spectacular weekend you had in Limerick. Find a
    designated driver and do what you gotta do!! Recover!

If you are playing, well then you have free entry in on the saturday night as your team have paid to get into the competition, but if you are interested on coming down to see what all this hullabaloo is about, then as above tickets are €10 each. Otherwise non-ticket holders on the day will have to pay €15.

If you would like to purchase tickets, PM me

For more details, see: http://www.pignporter.com/ or if you have facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PignPorter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm in London that weekend :(:(:( sadface!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

Are they gonna have that stupid queue for vouchers then queue for drinks shenanigans again this year? Really annoying last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

NeirBot wrote: »
    Are they gonna have that stupid queue for vouchers then queue for drinks shenanigans again this year? Really annoying last year!

I ended up with a couple of those vouchers in my pocket the next day. Mind you, I found a number of them on the ground :D

It took forever as well to get a taxi out of the place at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

NeirBot wrote: »

As far as i know yes they are, but I can find out for definite. The group I was in also had a few problems with them, this year I dont think we will buying that many to be honest

Just to update, ten euro tickets are still available for purchase. On the drink vouchers:
    * A drinks voucher system will be in operation from 16:00 on Saturday. There will be a number of bars where the vouchers can be redeemed.

* HAPPY HOUR. Between 18:00 and 20:00, you can redeem 2 vouchers for 3 drinks.

* ALL DAY: Buy 10 drink vouchers and get one free token.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Bandits gig has been moved to Dolans to accommodate the demand for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Was wondering why it got shifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Is this correct:

€10 for tickets from O'Dwyers pub

€15 for tickets at the gate on Saturday

If so, thats a load of shit.

Its €10 from anyone selling tickets before Saturday. Why is it a load of shit??

I can tell you that isnt the exact reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

More like the opposite....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Is it not sold out tonight though? No more available from Tickmaster anyway.

It could well be - did you ring Dolans and find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Mc Love wrote: »
    It could well be - did you ring Dolans and find out?

No not yet...might actually pop down there as its only down the road.

Even if it isn't sold out yet I would think plenty will arrive on the night to pack it out.

Oooh might see you there so - I will be looking out for the guy with the turtle mask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    More like the opposite....................

Thats what people are saying, apparantly only 45 sold.... I would imagine that a rugby field with marquees has a slightly larger capacity than Dolans!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OH!! Another Rugger related festival... How original:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    OH!! Another Rugger related festival... How original:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Great contribution, buddy. Have you anything useful to add here?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Pity about the weather but still a great day, especially with the Zagg Warriors winning out the C grade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Great contribution, buddy. Have you anything useful to add here?

here..... at least there trying to do something!!!!! keyboard warrior to quote someone before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Not having a dig at you, but how many rugby related festivals/events, not including actual rugby games, actually take place in Limerick?

Don't think there are that many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not having a dig at you, but how many rugby related festivals/events, not including actual rugby games, actually take place in Limerick?

Don't think there are that many.

Bull n' Booze in Bruff........ The Soda-Cakes have one called cannabis and coke......... the Mond have one called Cans and Crime.

If any other sporting organisation organised an event with alcohol being promoted as one of the central themes there would be a huge outcry over it. It's grand for rugby though.

Heineken Cup, Magners League, Pig N Porter, Bull N' Booze.........................

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    If any other sporting organisation organised an event with alcohol being promoted as one of the central themes there would be a huge outcry over it. It's grand for rugby though.

Heineken Cup, Magners League, Pig N Porter, Bull N' Booze.........................
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant :)

Guinness Hurling Championship, Carling Cup, Carlsberg sponsoring Liverpool, Johnnie Walker Cup, Bud Light Nascar, I'm sure there's more, just can't think of any at the moment, just watching Come Dine With Me (shoot me now)

Clareman wrote: »

Guinness Hurling Championship, Carling Cup, Carlsberg sponsoring Liverpool, Johnnie Walker Cup, Bud Light Nascar, I'm sure there's more, just can't think of any at the moment, just watching Come Dine With Me (shoot me now)

Yes and we often do we hear people giving out about the GAA having Guinness sponsoring the hurling yet there is never a peep about rugby sponsorship.

There was no problem with Munster players knocking back cans of cider on stage in front of hundreds of children at their home coming after the Heineken Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've seen far more GAA players twisted after games than Rugby players, spot most home comings for GAA teams and the players (who drink) will all have had a few. The fact of the matter is most sports need sponsorship and will take whatever's going (Snooker/F1 and cigarettes for example)

I've seen far more GAA players twisted after games than Rugby players, spot most home comings for GAA teams and the players (who drink) will all have had a few. The fact of the matter is most sports need sponsorship and will take whatever's going (Snooker/F1 and cigarettes for example)

I would be very surprised if you could produce a picture of a GAA home coming where the players were drinking cans on stage.

Where does the sponsorship aspect come into titles like "Pig N Porter" and "Bull N Booze"?

Anyways I sound like a "somebody think of the children merchant here" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Pig N Porter is an over rated, pointless festival.

Limerick needs to start organising more events in the city centre with mass appeal, not obscure, rugby related festivals in the suburbs.

BESman wrote: »

"Limerick" needs to start organising more events in the city centre with mass appeal, not obscure, rugby related festivals in the suburbs.

So anybody running a festival has to run it by "Limerick" first?

Why don't you give Limerick a call and put your ideas to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That sponsorship ended the season before last. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

BESman wrote: »

Limerick needs to start organising more events in the city centre with mass appeal, not obscure, rugby related festivals in the suburbs.

I think 4,000 people would argue against the festival being called 'obscure'. If your partying needs are not being catered for then I suggest you bring your own ideas to the table and not have a swipe at people who clearly put a lot of effort into what is now permanent a fixture in the sporting calendar.

Advertisement