Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a generic or a brand name person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I usually just buy the stuff that works for me but I have a major problem with painkillers.

Painkillers, no matter what brand you buy they always say 'take two every four hours & do not exceed this' blah blah blah.

FFS I want the pain gone & two ain't gonna cut it, I've often had to double the daily dose & was still left with a tinge of pain.

That pisses me off :mad:

that'd be down to your body i'm afraid. the take x every y hours with painkillers is so that you don't overload your liver. with antibiotics it's to get a slow build up in your system to a constant plateau over a few days.
    i've found sainsbury's ibuprofen to be excellent though. and only 26p for a box of about 20!
    actually, mary harney could save the country a fortune if she made it mandatory that all medical card scripts were generic only. there's no feckin difference when it comes to meds apart from the shape and the colour of the tablet or capsule.

as for myself, generic jaffa cakes are a crime. everything else will do!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cheapy cheap cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

just like the Wolf, when i buy coffee i want to buy good fuking coffee. i hate fuking about with stuff that just isnt up to standard. expensive yes, worth it though.
    that said, i could not give a sh1t about clothes brand names or anything, just food & drink :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Cheap generic food brands except tea bags (lyons), digestive biscuits (mcvities), cereal (must be kelloggs!). Penneys or Dunnes clothes most of the time, only exception are runners and jeans.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I eat brand-name cereal - supermarket own-brands are usually cardboardy and go soggy quickly. I agree with what someone already said about biscuits, the cheaper ones are usually the same, except for Hobnobs! Although I don't eat a lot of biscuits really

With stuff like clothes, not at all. Once I find that jeans from a certain shop fit me well I will continue to buy them there, because jeans shopping can be a nightmare! Other clothes - not that bothered, I buy what suits me rather than what is in fashion, not interested in designer stuff. With socks, it's Penneys or Dunnes multipacks. For some items it's worth having something well-made that will last, but I certainly wouldn't pay more for a 'label'. If someone judges me that much by what I'm wearing, I'm not interested in being friends with them.

As for things like electronics, I usually try to do some research into what is the best quality, rather than going for what is the most fashionable/advertised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Doesn't matter really clothes wise i find penny jeans fit me the best so i buy them. Cereal wise, Kellogs cornflakes all the way.

Sometimes peoples idea of brand names can be stupid take for example, mr.questionmark? last night was at a session and had brought bottles of Lech only to be meet by the response why are you drinking that cheap ****??? ah it costs 1.79 per bottle ur miller cost about 83cent i.e. its all in the mind for some people oh i havent seeing it on tv so it must be cheap:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It depends on how easy it is to make the product badly.
    As ridiculous as some branding is, there are times when it's at least something you can rely on.
    For example I got an unknown (to me) brand of mouthwash, thinking "it can't be that hard to get right"... bleurgh, how wrong I was... it made my mouth feel dried out and salty and left a blue film on my tongue, had to brush again to get rid of the crap... the only bottle of mouthwash I've ever directly poured down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Definitely prefer some brand name stuff. Clothes for one thing. Not necessarily getting all my socks in Brown Thomas but I care about how I look and how I present myself. I know some people don't understand why a brand name matters but the name isn't everything. It's the quality, appearance and overall image that goes along with that brand name.

Why get a black Armani shirt for €100 when you can get a black shirt in Penneys for €6?
    Why get an iPhone for €300 when you can get a new budget phone for €30?
    Why get a new Audi for €50,000 when you can get a used Daewoo on DoneDeal for €500?

They all do the same things at the end of the day.

There's more to it than just the name and it applies to different things for everyone. You can't generalize by just saying brand name and generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i buy whatever i like regardless of cost.... Lol jk... my gf-mammy buys all my clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

that'd be down to your body i'm afraid. the take x every y hours with painkillers is so that you don't overload your liver. with antibiotics it's to get a slow build up in your system to a constant plateau over a few days.
    i've found sainsbury's ibuprofen to be excellent though. and only 26p for a box of about 20!
    actually, mary harney could save the country a fortune if she made it mandatory that all medical card scripts were generic only. there's no feckin difference when it comes to meds apart from the shape and the colour of the tablet or capsule.

as for myself, generic jaffa cakes are a crime. everything else will do!
    and maybe a bit for r&d just to make sure the are safe....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I bought a load of own brand jocks last year, fcukers had rotted at the crotch after about 4 or 5 wears.Disintegrated almost totally.

No bag support and a pair of wineglow red angry gonads was all I got.

Never again!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gsxr1 wrote: »
    but spending 100 euro plus on a pair of jeans or a shirt seems just stupid to me.

Even if I had a million. I would waste money like that.

I have to say, I got a pair of jeans once that were about 80-90. They didn't have any particular brand, got them in benetton on holiday, but I swear to god they were the best jeans I ever owned. So comfortable and looked really nice. I wore them til they fell apart, which was nearly daily for about a year or two :D Last pair I obsessed over were from dunnes though.

Nowadays I shop almost entirely in penneys. I can't possibly imagine forking out 30 euro for average okish tops (I'm looking at you, A-wear) when I could get same and about the same quality for much, much less.

For food, quality over brand name please. Except hobnobs maybe. And tea. And icecream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Whatever I fancy on the day, I don't go for either brand or non brand goods specifically, I own both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I find it very hard to find generic medicine in this country though.

I walked into my local chemist recently and asked for asprin and they genuinely didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I used to like Ellesse runners and St.Bernard salad cream. Can't seem to find either now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gotta gree with most people's opinion and say its kind of 50/50, on one hand im not pushed on what I wear, it doesnt have to be a brand name but every now and then I'll spend a bit on some good clothing and the same applies to non-food stuff like household items and food, it can vary really, doesnt have to be a brand name for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Moved out with the gf 8 months ago and we do pretty much all our shopping in Aldi. So whatever brand food they have does us fine. I actually prefer the Aldi Wheatbisk to Weetabix. Saying that, the supervalu weetabix is cardboard crap.
    We do tend to get known brand toothpaste though and even though i've been eating Aldi beans for months they're just not as good as Bachelors so they're can be a difference, whether that's bacause they're better or because I grew up with a certain brand I don't know.

As for clothes I have never been into labels. I was the most easy going teenager ever. My sisters moaning for £100 nikes and I was happy with Dunnes brand runners.

I recently bought a designer shirt. It was €68 and aparently some go getter fashionista named John Rocha made it. He wanted to make this very clear by putting a big white label with his name on the front. The label ruined an otherwise great shirt so I spent 20 mins carefully picking the stitches out of the label. So now noone will know I spent more than I usually would on a shirt, but hey, I look damn good and that's what counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's the quality, appearance and overall image that goes along with that brand name.

Why get a black Armani shirt for €100 when you can get a black shirt in Penneys for €6?

Picking two items of clothing at polarizing ends of the price scale will more than likely have a difference in quality. But brand alone having better quality over all non-branded products, bollix!

Do you have any idea where all brand named clothing is made and where cheaper garments are manufactured... Loyalty to a clothing brand equates to some very disillusioned sad loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually of all the shirts I have of a wide variety of differing price points the one I seem to get the most compliments about is a €3 one from Pennys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Alcoholic beverage's is the only thing I will not do on the cheap......

The rest I can live with,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

owenc wrote: »
    a mix for me.. my mum buys all these clothes out of primark and wallis, like real cheapo shops and then she accesories them and then everyone thinks shes spent hundreds of pounds!

since when is wallis "real cheapo"?

i know its not designer gear, but i wouldnt have thought people consider it similar to penneys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Anytime I go shopping I do look around (not bargin hunting, more of a see something I like buy it) but I find that Pennys just don't have what I need so I often end up buying higher priced stuff. Their jeans / trousers for example appear to be sized for short fat people who's waist sizes exceed their leg length. I find that bizarre, it's like there's a race of fat umpa lumpas out there I was completely unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

for clothes i wouldn't by brand names, i'd shop in h&m or places like that, i don't like pennys though because the sizing is huge in comparison to most shops and the quality is pretty ****e in my experience

for other things i don't really care, if it's an electrical item i go with a trusted brand but not necessarily the most expensive, i try to find a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has to be:

Kerrygold butter
    Heinz ketchup
    Batchelors beans

After that I don't care. I'll buy as much as I can in Lidl/Aldi, and pick up the remaining few bits in Dunnes or Tesco.

The majority of my clothes are from Penneys and Dunnes, and without trying to sound big headed, I often get compliments on them.

Depends on what we're talking about.
    I only buy fairy liquid and finish dishwasher tablets!!!
    I would never buy cheap tea bags.
    Heinz Ketchup & Beans
    Chef Brown Sauce
    Bachelors Peas
    Corn fed eggs
    Decent shampoo but not tied to a particular brand
    There's a brand of dry pasta I like too (can't remember the name but it's yellow and blue!!)
    Apart from the above anything will do Grocery wise.

As for clothes, I buy things I like, mix and match between penneys/dunnes etc and then I like things like my Radley bags and prada sunglasses :pac:

I also buy decent skin care products.

I do like nice things though but can't afford them :rolleyes:
    If I could I would :D

Advertisement