Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water in oil tank.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Fas ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

agusta wrote: »
    Yes 100K plus,
    What happened was there was a slight leak/weep from the pipe from the oil tank,possibly from tilting the oil tank to get the last bit of oil out or a poorly made fitting.It probably was leaking over a couple of years.How much oil leaked i do not know.
    The reason the owners didnt smell the kerosene was because they are farm contractors and they thought the smell was coming from the tractors parked near the tank.Eventually they realised there was a problem and they had to get the insurance and the EPA involved.The EPA looked after it from there.
    The owners had to move out of house for 4 months.The percolation area had to be excavated down 15 feet,20 feet into house had to be excavated down 8 feet,stairs and heating system and kitchen had to be removed to excavate the floors.foundation footing had to be replaced and 30 feet by 10 feet of the yard had to be excavated down 8 feet,
    I think JohnnieK was also involved with one where there was a weap at the oil tank fitting & ran down the slots of the internal of plastic coating on the pipe & exited at the boiler. It done untold damage when it was assessed as the boiler was internal & soaked into the concrete slab of the house.

jimf wrote: »
    Kilkenny camogie team juniors of course :eek:

That's only on Tuesday nights.

Fas ?????

Jeez, are they your enemy as well? :eek: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

hevac wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean "water in the oil tank". The water tank is
    in your attic!

A few years back, we came across a 600 gal. oil tank that
    was 3/4 full. It had not been used for years, and condensation
    had built up. We took the plug out of the sludge valve, and
    just cracked the valve open. The water dripped out slowly.
    The oil floats.. water sinks. Collect the water in a bucket
    until the oil appears.

You would need to clean the oil filter, and just run some oil
    through, just to make sure it's clear. If there is a bleed screw
    on the oil pump, open it until the oil flies out.

Finally..put a lid on the oil tank.

No I qctually do mean there is oil in the water tank!!! Joke....oops

There is a reason my name has muddle in it by the way.....

shane 007 wrote: »
    Oil & gas & part-time lecturer in same.

I see. Was just wondering who gets called to that sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm getting oil delivered on Tuesday Will the delivery man have to wait until there's an oftec qualified technician on site to make sure he doesn't dribble a small drop of kerosene on the grass. I wouldn't like to get a 20K bill from the EPA. I hope I never run out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Not sure if it will work the same way for you, but I had water leaked into my oil tank only two weeks ago. Rain was getting in through a small crack that had appeared by the section where the lid goes on. Anyway I drained the water out from the release tap after disconnecting it. Water went into a drum container. Waited until the water coming out turned red and turned off the valve. Reconnected and went to the boiler and bled the water out of the pipe there. Ran the heating to give it a push. It didn't fire up,so I bled it again and tried again and works fine now. Sealed around the crack in the tank and no issues since.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

jca wrote: »
    I'm getting oil delivered on Tuesday Will the delivery man have to wait until there's an oftec qualified technician on site to make sure he doesn't dribble a small drop of kerosene on the grass. I wouldn't like to get a 20K bill from the EPA. I hope I never run out.......

Your driver will be properly trained in all aspects of doing a delivery. He will be fully insured for accidents that might occur.
    I have also come across partial house demolitions due to leaks and in one instance a split tank in a garage that was badly supported. The garage was was attached to the dwelling house. The oil soaked down to the DPC and made its way underneath 3 of the rooms.

I have also seen a well having to be pumped out and some soil having to be drawn away. In that case the soil went to Germany. The well was pumped out using chemicals at first, this went on numerous times over a 3 month period. House owners didnt trust the well even when the EPA passed it for use.

I have seen numerous instances of what was reported to me as a leak in the boiler house, to find that -as observed above- the oil had travelled from the tank between the copper supply pipe and its plastic covering. This is very common in rental properties. The leak is caused by lifting the back of the tank to get the last out. That also causes expensive pump problems. Tanks should be strapped down anyway.

It is hard to be too careful with oil leaks.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

bodhi085 wrote: »
    Not sure if it will work the same way for you, but I had water leaked into my oil tank only two weeks ago. Rain was getting in through a small crack that had appeared by the section where the lid goes on. Anyway I drained the water out from the release tap after disconnecting it. Water went into a drum container. Waited until the water coming out turned red and turned off the valve. Reconnected and went to the boiler and bled the water out of the pipe there. Ran the heating to give it a push. It didn't fire up,so I bled it again and tried again and works fine now. Sealed around the crack in the tank and no issues since.

There may be in the future. It is difficult to repair them properly. Get your hands on some water-finding paste, either from a shop or a little bit from your service person. Check that there isn't any water in your tank now and continue to check periodically.

Oil tank delivery drivers are OFTEC certified.
    So what's your next wise comment?

The case I mentioned earlier where the newly laid Tarmac drive had to be replaced including all hardcore & surrounding soil with a cost of €60k was caused by an oil tank driver in Tipperary. After filling the tank, he reversed into it & spilt the tank. Their insurance company had to foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Wearb wrote: »
    There may be in the future. It is difficult to repair them properly. Get your hands on some water-finding paste, either from a shop or a little bit from your service person. Check that there isn't any water in your tank now and continue to check periodically.

Ran heating last night for an hour to take the chill out of the kids room. Worked ok. I've sealed the crack on the oil tank up pretty tight and just as it happens one of the neighbours is a heating/ plumbing guy by trade and after I spoke with him last week he is due to service the boiler next week as he has done for the last couple of years.

bodhi085 wrote: »
    Ran heating last night for an hour to take the chill out of the kids room. Worked ok. I've sealed the crack on the oil tank up pretty tight and just as it happens one of the neighbours is a heating/ plumbing guy by trade and after I spoke with him last week he is due to service the boiler next week as he has done for the last couple of years.

Great. Checking the tank for water is part of a service, or at least should be.

The pump on the burner is an avoidable expense in this case.

Oil tank delivery drivers are OFTEC certified.
    So what's your next wise comment?

The case I mentioned earlier where the newly laid Tarmac drive had to be replaced including all hardcore & surrounding soil with a cost of €60k was caused by an oil tank driver in Tipperary. After filling the tank, he reversed into it & spilt the tank. Their insurance company had to foot the bill.

Oftec qualification not worth a bluck if you can't drive. ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If a plastic oil tank splits, the plastic has been damaged by sunlight/ultra-violet etc. It means that it will probably happen again. The crack that has been sealed may continue further and the whole tank could split open.

The worst incident of an oil leak that I remember was when an oil tank leaked and it was the house next door that had most of its ground floor dug out to remove the contaminated material. It cost a fortune.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Some very sobering information on this thread. Don't mess with oil installation. Get it right and avoid those headaches. Make sure its all installed as per regulations. Most tank manufacturers have very good installation instructions and they need to be followed to the letter. Also follow the location and supply pipe instructions/regulations. It is just so costly and disruptive if it all goes pear-shaped.

303770.jpg
    That started with a poorly supported tank.

Oftec qualification not worth a bluck if you can't drive. ....

Many good drivers have accidents!
    It's how you are able to react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Some very sobering information on this thread. Don't mess with oil installation. Get it right and avoid those headaches. Make sure its all installed as per regulations. Most tank manufacturers have very good installation instructions and they need to be followed to the letter. Also follow the location and supply pipe instructions/regulations. It is just so costly and disruptive if it all goes pear-shaped.

303770.jpg

shur throw a few planks on a couple of pallets twil be grand :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

303770.jpg

Tech-7 , yer only man :)

Many good drivers have accidents!
    It's how you are able to react to them.

That doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

That doesn't make any sense.

MOD
    JCA, professional advice has been given, not likening that advice is no reason to start acting like a troll, so could you kindly stop poking the plumbers.

my golden rule with boards is always remember the people you piss off today
    are the very same people you might ask for a dig out tomorrow

will you get it hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know too many mmmms

Nothing like a good hmmm.... to make a lasting statement. It goes right to the soul. :)

Hmmmmm.:) lighten up lads, it's Easter. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Hmmmmm.:) lighten up lads, it's Easter. :rolleyes:

Don't you have a plank to find. :eek:

Plenty here

As my friend Tony would say "see you in a week"

Plenty here

you must be feeling at home so :cool:

That'll do now thank you

jimf wrote: »
    you must be feeling at home so :cool:
    muddle84 wrote: »
    So I have now bought my first house, just got the keys today.So on our first evening in the house pulling at everything and seeing what works and what doesn't I have noticed that the cap is missing off the oil tank:mad:

There is quite alot of liquid in the tank, I say liquid because I am sure it is water as the house was empty for a year or so, so it has to be mostly water.

So what is the best way to attack this??? I am thinking the following
    - Empty all liquid out of tank
    - drain thee line from tank to house
    - fill with oil
    - bleed

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a filter in the burner or anything that I should be cleaning/ replacing?
    How did it work out in the end? I don't know why that top part is there in my post?

I syphoned everything out of the tank and then got an oil delivery. Split the pipe at the pump and removed more oil that way to make sure there was no water in the pipe. I then bled it and fired it up!!! all good! Thanks everybody for the advice!!

• Advertisement

I syphoned everything out of the tank and then got an oil delivery. Split the pipe at the pump and removed more oil that way to make sure there was no water in the pipe. I then bled it and fired it up!!! all good! Thanks everybody for the advice!!

Well done. Saved you a few bob too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭greasepalm

glad too see no one suggested to drill underside of tank on lowest point to let water out.

greasepalm wrote: »
    glad too see no one suggested to drill underside of tank on lowest point to let water out.

Who in their right mind would do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Who in their right mind would do this?

Tank manufactures use to have a message imprinted on the legs,/bottom, "DO NOT DRILL". !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭greasepalm

you would be surprised what people do for a quick fix without thinking of what is going to happen in the future.

greasepalm wrote: »

The old metal tanks had a drain at the lowest point at the rear. It usually ended up as a corroded mess and was invariably the first place they started to leak....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Well done,glad you got it sorted.On another note,i would be inclined to change the flexible oil hose that goes to the burner.There would be a date stamped on it.If over 2 years i would change it as they get perished and can leak.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Tank manufactures use to have a message imprinted on the legs,/bottom, "DO NOT DRILL". !!!!

Reminds me of two others...'coffee hot' ....err hope so
    or on a bag of peanuts....'may contain nuts'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

DGOBS wrote: »
    Reminds me of two others...'coffee hot' ....err hope so
    or on a bag of peanuts....'may contain nuts'

I watched a safety video on site one day and it was do's and dont's with power tools . One of them was don't use the hilti drill to scratch your eye ! Had a demonstration and all . Who did that and lost an eye so it had to be included in a video ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement