Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in oil tank.

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

So I have now bought my first house, just got the keys today.So on our first evening in the house pulling at everything and seeing what works and what doesn't I have noticed that the cap is missing off the oil tank:mad:

There is quite alot of liquid in the tank, I say liquid because I am sure it is water as the house was empty for a year or so, so it has to be mostly water.

So what is the best way to attack this??? I am thinking the following
    - Empty all liquid out of tank
    - drain thee line from tank to house
    - fill with oil
    - bleed

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a filter in the burner or anything that I should be cleaning/ replacing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

you can get a tube of water paste from plumbing supplier
    Get a long bit of stick smear it with the paste it will change colour if there is water in it
    Then you call professional to sort this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

muddle84 wrote: »
    So I have now bought my first house, just got the keys today.So on our first evening in the house pulling at everything and seeing what works and what doesn't I have noticed that the cap is missing off the oil tank:mad:

There is quite alot of liquid in the tank, I say liquid because I am sure it is water as the house was empty for a year or so, so it has to be mostly water.

- fill with oil
    - bleed

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a filter in the burner or anything that I should be cleaning/ replacing?

I am not a plumber but I will not pay for a plumber to do this until I am sure that I can't do it myself so please I don't want to hear advice telling me to pay somebody to do this.:D

Bad attitude to start with to us plumber here who give as much information safely that we can "FREE OF CHARGE"

Fairly insulting, actually.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

It was not my intent to cause insult. For this I apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

what you intend to do with oil if you have to dispose of it

I intend to exactly that, dispose of it? I would probably put it into drums and bring it to a council depot or something.

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    what you intend to do with oil if you have to dispose of it

10 miniute job.
    Its easy to get 100% of the water out and still keep 100% of the good oil................................

Water hogs are available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Disconnect the pipe after the stop valve on the side of the tank.
    Then empty the water into a container.
    Stop when it turns red, that's kerosene. .
    But if you want to be safe, empty all the contents.

Then, remove the rest of what's in the pipe between the trank and boiler.
    By Bleeding the boiler.

You can dispose of the liquid at your local amenity Centre, or your oil supplier might take it, if you explain the situation, when ordering your next fill of kerosene.

* I am not a plumber

pa990 wrote: »

Then, remove the rest of what's in the pipe between the trank and boiler.
    By Bleeding the boiler.

You can dispose of the liquid at your local amenity Centre, or your oil supplier might take it, if you explain the situation, when ordering your next fill of kerosene.

* I am not a plumber

You'll still have 3" of water in the tank up to the outlet pipe ready to destroy the next €95 oil pump if just a teaspoon of water gets to it.

????? Original post said oil in water tank????
    I presumed it's the other way around.

WATER HOG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

That would leave approx 30mm of water at the bottom of the tank as the outlet is raised from the bottom.
    It would need to be suctioned if of any volume and/or water hog for smaller volumes as Richie suggested.
    Syphon suctions are best as pumps generally agitate & mix the fuel & water. The syphon will remove the water from the bottom without agitation.

scudo2 wrote: »
    You'll still have 3" of water in the tank up to the outlet pipe ready to destroy the next €95 oil pump if just a teaspoon of water gets to it.

So do you really have to tip the tank forward to get all the water out?? or is it better to use some kind of pump to suck it out?

So do you really have to tip the tank forward to get all the water out?? or is it better to use some kind of pump to suck it out?

Never under any circumstance tip an oil tank.

shane 007 wrote: »
    Never under any circumstance tip an oil tank.

Ok so its some sort of syphon I guess so..

Why should you never tip an oil tank out of interest?

EPA would have a field day with you

Ok just to be clear here I don't plan to spill anything out on the lawn, anything I take out will be put into drums.

Tell me more about a waterhog? Where can I get one of these and how much are they?

Ok so its some sort of syphon I guess so..

Why should you never tip an oil tank out of interest?

Firstly, health & safety. They are not light, so damage to your back.
    Secondly, it could fall from its support & cause an environmental hazard.
    Thirdly, you can damage the tank itself as the whole of the tank is not correctly supported & stress zones may surpass their limits.
    Finally, pipework must be detached & re-attached correctly & you are running risks of leaks & spillage.

What I do not understand is you want to save a few bucks by doing the works yourself. You may end up costing yourself a lot more in the long run. You have just bought your new home. Why not get a recommended OFTEC engineer to service the boiler to ensure it is running cleanly & efficiently, thus saving you long term oil usage, they can remove & dispose of the contaminated waste properly, and advice you of any further risks/concerns there are with your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

- fill with oil
    - bleed

In my opinion your best bet here is to get a competent oil boiler service technician to service your boiler.Yes there is filters in your burner that need to be cleaned and checked for contamination.Its overdue a service and the service technician will help you sort out your oil tank correctly

Where you based

That would leave approx 30mm of water at the bottom of the tank as the outlet is raised from the bottom.
    It would need to be suctioned if of any volume and/or water hog for smaller volumes as Richie suggested.
    Syphon suctions are best as pumps generally agitate & mix the fuel & water. The syphon will remove the water from the bottom without agitation.

Lift the tank (get someone to help) and place a plank of wood etc, under it. To remove the water that is below the outlet.

And a service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Firstly, health & safety. They are not light, so damage to your back.
    Secondly, it could fall from its support & cause an environmental hazard.
    Thirdly, you can damage the tank itself as the whole of the tank is not correctly supported & stress zones may surpass their limits.
    Finally, pipework must be detached & re-attached correctly & you are running risks of leaks & spillage.

What I do not understand is you want to save a few bucks by doing the works yourself. You may end up costing yourself a lot more in the long run. You have just bought your new home. Why not get a recommended OFTEC engineer to service the boiler to ensure it is running cleanly & efficiently, thus saving you long term oil usage, they can remove & dispose of the contaminated waste properly, and advice you of any further risks/concerns there are with your system.
    I was doing some of the renovation work on a house 2 years ago due to an slight oil leak at the oil tank.The slight leak was on the oil pipe connected to the valve on the oil tank and the tank very near the house.The cost to repair the damage was over 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

scudo2 wrote: »
    10 miniute job.
    Its easy to get 100% of the water out and still keep 100% of the good oil................................

we know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It must be lean times for plumbers when they're all vying for a simple tank draining!! Empty all you can into drums. Then lift the rear of the tank as high as you can to get the remaining liquid out. The easiest way to lift it without breaking your back is to use old boards across the rear of the tank. Keep adding one at a time until it's empty. Be careful it doesn't slide forward off the platform. If the tank is mounted properly i.e. the rear of the tank lower than the front any small amount of water will end up at this lowest point well away from the outlet and should never give trouble. Change the outlet filter and get oil. When the oil is delivered leave the tank for a few hours preferably overnight to settle and allow any small amount of water to make its way to the lowest point. Disconnect the oil feed into the burner and turn on the tap at the tank and let the oil run into a bottle until it's nice and red.

Ok just to be clear here I don't plan to spill anything out on the lawn, anything I take out will be put into drums.

Tell me more about a waterhog? Where can I get one of these and how much are they?
    Ok ok
    Garden hose taped to a stick/broom handel, leave it extend by 2"
    Put it to the very bottom of tank. Blow back through hose to clear it of good oil. Then suck and siphon water. When it changes to oil colour stop it. Tank ok now.
    Drain oil line to boiler to flush out excess water.
    Unfortunately 95% chance oil pump is beyond repair and you will need service man to fit new one and reajust for boiler and output + nozzle.
    You can buy an oil pump yourself but you have no way of calabration it properly for your boiler.

Service engineers are not out to rip you off but to provide helpfull good value service.

(Hopefully)

Serious but funny
    I was called to a house and the client said the oil boiler wasn't working
    so tried the oil boiler no joy
    When to see if there was oil in the tank nearly fell down laughing at what i saw
    10mm T.R.V. valve

Ah lads. The Guy wants to do it on a budget.

Let him get most of the water out ,presuming that an uncovered tank has loads of water in it, and then use a water sock/hog to remove the remaining water.

I understand that everyone has to make a living. But some people are trying to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

EPA would have a field day with you

My local recycling centre takes all flammable liquids and used engine oil too. I'm sure there are many others around the country doing the same.

OK hose trick will do but not ideal and there could be damage to the burner

jca wrote: »
    It must be lean times for plumbers when they're all vying for a simple tank draining!! Empty all you can into drums. Then lift the rear of the tank as high as you can to get the remaining liquid out. The easiest way to lift it without breaking your back is to use old boards across the rear of the tank. Keep adding one at a time until it's empty. Be careful it doesn't slide forward off the platform. If the tank is mounted properly i.e. the rear of the tank lower than the front any small amount of water will end up at this lowest point well away from the outlet and should never give trouble. Change the outlet filter and get oil. When the oil is delivered leave the tank for a few hours preferably overnight to settle and allow any small amount of water to make its way to the lowest point. Disconnect the oil feed into the burner and turn on the tap at the tank and let the oil run into a bottle until it's nice and red.
    Who is vying to do it?
    Advice is not doing the work AFAIK! To give advice you should give the correct advice that is as per regulations/industry best procedures & that would be acceptable by home insurance companies.
    Now, unless you are offering to foot the bill personally for the OP should the tank slip from the "plank of wood" & cause a €20k clean up for environmental & water table damage, then I would say offer your wonderful advice away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Lift the tank (get someone to help) and place a plank of wood etc, under it. To remove the water that is below the outlet.

And a service

I know where you'll find a plank. :rolleyes:

If you must save a pound ............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-104616-Fluid-Extractor-Litre/dp/B003G2YV1I

Advertisement