Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband.

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Heard a few people mention that sky are looking to roll out their broadband in the republic by the start of the new year.

Anybody know about this as im currently looking to get rid of my eircom landline/broadband.

Id prefer to get the Sky package as i already have tv with them.

Id be sick if i signed up to a 12 month contract with somebody else now and then sky came out a few months down the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

rogieop wrote: »
    Heard a few people mention that sky are looking to roll out their broadband in the republic by the start of the new year.

Anybody know about this as im currently looking to get rid of my eircom landline/broadband.

Id be sick if i signed up to a 12 month contract with somebody else now and then sky came out a few months down the line.
    It is re sold. eircom adsl....in other words....****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

rogieop wrote: »

umm it's still DSL so you need a phoneline and will only be available from 80+ exchanges so won't be available in the vast majority of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

not really sure what dsl is but kind of get the idea. basically sky's broadband will be ****e and ill still need a phone line?

Ill look elsewhere so. any suggestions for good wireless broadband? not NTL?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

bealtine wrote: »
    umm it's still DSL so you need a phoneline and will only be available from 80+ exchanges so won't be available in the vast majority of Ireland.

How do we know what exchanges it will be available from?
    I am at the end of my Eircom contract, but I am holding out for Sky BB, might as well just head off to VF if the exchange isn't going to be covered.

gflann wrote: »
    How do we know what exchanges it will be available from?
    I am at the end of my Eircom contract, but I am holding out for Sky BB, might as well just head off to VF if the exchange isn't going to be covered.

You don't know, only eircom and BT know which exchanges are unbundled and they like to keep it a big secret. Most of these unbundled exchanges are in urban areas anyway. In the rest of the country (the other 1120 exchanges) Sky will be exactly like Voda and use eircom's bitstream product.
    Perhaps IrelandOffline might have more information...

An awful lot of people are expecting something different from Sky but it's just more of the same. What you get now is exactly the same as what you will get from Sky.

• Advertisement

Cheers.
    To be honest what Sky will offer will be much better than what Eircom off.
    I am getting 7mb BB for €62 a month at the moment, it's bundled with all calls etc etc, but I don't have or want a phone.
    If Sky can bundle the TV and BB together, at a good price, I will jump at it.

Cheers.
    To be honest what Sky will offer will be much better than what Eircom off.
    I am getting 7mb BB for €62 a month at the moment, it's bundled with all calls etc etc, but I don't have or want a phone.
    If Sky can bundle the TV and BB together, at a good price, I will jump at it.

If...

Remember the line rental and bitstream parts will be EXACTLY the same as what Vodafone offer currently so I for one do not expect an outbreak of competition of any sort as all the bitstream costs are fixed and cannot be varied.

Perhaps some competition will break out in LLU exchanges but that too looks unlikely.

I see IoffL listed the LLU exchanges on their website today:http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

As I read it I can see that the unbundled exchanges are all in urban areas so country people can expect zero...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Any word when Sky BB is actually going to be launched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

toby2111 wrote: »
    Any word when Sky BB is actually going to be launched?
    January I heard today

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Some sky employees in Ireland have the broadband and are testing it. They are still fitting out their offices in Dublin and from what I have heard are still working on pricing. I have been told by one of the managers that is moving from Scotland offices to Dublin that they are tying to set their broadband prices on par with those in the uk. If this is true it should set of a pricing war over night. Last I heard the broadband would be rolled out before Xmas, but I think that might be a bit optimistic although they only tend to confirm to us (installers) a couple of days before a new release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭northeast2012

Jimjay wrote: »
    Some sky employees in Ireland have the broadband and are testing it. They are still fitting out their offices in Dublin and from what I have heard are still working on pricing. I have been told by one of the managers that is moving from Scotland offices to Dublin that they are tying to set their broadband prices on par with those in the uk. If this is true it should set of a pricing war over night. Last I heard the broadband would be rolled out before Xmas, but I think that might be a bit optimistic although they only tend to confirm to us (installers) a couple of days before a new release.

i queried this with sky and got this back

"Broadband is currently being trialled in Ireland and is expected to be available by the middle of next year."

is this being timed to be launched just after eircom launch FTTC?

months away yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,900 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Win win for eircom unfortunately

Ah crap!My contract is up with Eircom and Sky next month,was hoping to get a good value bundle from Sky for all 3 services.I'll have to bargain(threaten to leave) with Sky and I'll prob switch to Vodafone for phone and broadband now.This Sky broadband thing will drag on and on......

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

I got a mail from them today to say its coming soon..

Skyireland.ie/registerme

They rang me from the UK on Monday, to offer me movies and sports for Xmas.
    I asked them about the BB, and they said it will be released before the turn of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i did a quick google search and sky are using bt as a partner, they only have plans for certain areas

http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

i got a letter from them last week telling me about it, but it looks like it will be the same old internet we are used to, i can only get a speed of 2.54 mbs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ordered the sky wireless adapter today and the agent told me that they would be doing their broadband packages in the next two weeks. He asked me if I'd be interested. I told him that bit would be unlikely as I have UPC.

He still wanted me to confirm interest. But seriously why would anyone change from UPC broadband to a dsl package??

i did a quick google search and sky are using bt as a partner, they only have plans for certain areas

http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

i got a letter from them last week telling me about it, but it looks like it will be the same old internet we are used to, i can only get a speed of 2.54 mbs here.

Totally understood.
    I live in Rural area, and can only get 7mb broadband, but am paying through the nose for that with Eircom. So I will be quite happy to move to Sky, and hopefully get a package to include my TV package, which I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

Totally understood.
    I live in Rural area, and can only get 7mb broadband, .
    That's not rural mate :)

Was talking to a Cork Sky rep on phone today,said broadband will be launched before the end of the year.He didn't have pricing details.The wait continues......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Therowan

Eircom is such crap - I treated myself to 3G mobile wifi - cost about €80.00 but good value for me - I live back of beyond terrible reception but this little gadget works wonders, about the size of a mouse - can even have my laptop and ipad on at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Been reading some posts on the Sky forum which suggest that Sky are delaying the launch of Talk & Broadband in ROI until the New Year? Anyone else hear that, hope it's not true??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Shyboy wrote: »
    Been reading some posts on the Sky forum which suggest that Sky are delaying the launch of Talk & Broadband in ROI until the New Year? Anyone else hear that, hope it's not true??:(
    Got told by the door to door rep that it would be next year and that it will be on a phased basis with existing customers getting it first. Hopefully this a load of bull!

Looks like next year now for Sky BB & Talk.

Ah well off to Vodafone with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Got told by the door to door rep that it would be next year and that it will be on a phased basis with existing customers getting it first. Hopefully this a load of bull!
    Will a landline be required for this? Currently running wimax which is ok but have my tv with sky and if the deal was good i would swap to them. Also living in a rural area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

IF they are partnering up with BT I will definitely look into it.
    I was never happier with broadband service while with BT before they dumped the residential market.

Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Will a landline be required for this? Currently running wimax which is ok but have my tv with sky and if the deal was good i would swap to them. Also living in a rural area

Sky are doing it through the phone line so you will need a land line.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

I have got a booklet from sky today in the post, inside it , it says Sky Broadband and calls are here! It's all yours register today. Go to: sky.ie/registerme. There is no such page, nothing about it on the site and it still says coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Does anyone have a info price list on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Does anyone have a info price list on this?

Prices haven't been released yet but some guys in the thread below got called by Sky and have it running now .
    Think they're paying 17.50 per month
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818913&page=12

Advertisement