Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distance from efiber cabinet

Options
  • 08-04-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

E fiber should be available in my area (ATHLONE) next month fingers crossed.On the west side of town there are very few e fiber cabinets and i reckon id be 600 meters from my nearest. Is this distance too far or am i on the limits to get decent speeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fttn-speed-graph.gif

20Mb approx, might make 30 with vectoring if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

That's a similar distance to me so thought I'd let you know my experience so far.

I'm bang on 650m from cabinet to front door (according to GPS run tracking app on phone) and get a download speed of 30Mb. Hoping to get a further bump up when vectoring is enabled but it's already a big jump on what I had before and more importantly download rates have consistent and reliable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

You might get 60-70Mbps with vectoring

Eircoms new profiles (vectoring enabled):

MAX line length
    300m = 100Mbps
    450m = 90Mbps
    525m = 80Mbps
    600m = 70Mbps
    650m = 60Mbps
    750m = 50Mbps
    850m = 40Mbps

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89426826&postcount=179

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ED E wrote: »
    fttn-speed-graph.gif

20Mb approx, might make 30 with vectoring if you're lucky.

That chart is too conservative even without vectoring in my opinion. I am about 600m and getting 50Mbit with no vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

That chart is too conservative even without vectoring in my opinion. I am about 600m and getting 50Mbit with no vectoring.

Same as me
    according to http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php and my Downstream Attenuation of 8.9 it tells me I am 644 meters from the cabinet but I am getting 69mbps consistently without vectoring enabled yet as I have had that speed from day one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ditto - I'm minimum 350m from cabinet and get full 70Mb without vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I've line attenuation of 15dB and am over 1Km from the cab. Current speed down is approx 23Mb.
    Rate is actually Rx:25595 Tx:7165 Kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

martin_090 wrote: »
    E fiber should be available in my area (ATHLONE) next month fingers crossed.On the west side of town there are very few e fiber cabinets and i reckon id be 600 meters from my nearest. Is this distance too far or am i on the limits to get decent speeds.

Where abouts in west athlone and which cabinet do you recon would be the closest to you?

Check here http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ on the fibre map for the cabinet number.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭martin_090

thanks for the reply's guys. allen175 i looked up that link and there is a cabinet planned not far from me so happy days. I thought my nearest cabinet was at Annsfield Woods ATH1_005 but from the map

www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

one is planned closer ATH1_015. Prob be next yeat before its on place but least its planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

allen175 wrote: »
    Check here http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ on the fibre map for the cabinet number.

Never seen that map before, thanks! Are they showing all their cabinets or just the ones that will be fibre enabled?
    unfortunately it looks like even though i'm due to be in a fibre network in June I'll either be too far from a cabinet or just not connected to one that will be upgraded :(

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »

Thanks for that map. I haven't been back to the Wholesale site in a while and didn't realise they'd vastly improved it.

I realised my above post with my work VDSl line attenuation was for upload. Download is actually 24dB meaning I'm ~1.7Km from the cabinet and getting a rate of 25Mbps. I spoke with an Eircom techie and they informed me that Eircom where now installing fibre for premises up to 2Kms from a cabinet.

Got to be impressed with that speed @ nearly 2Km and it leaves me in some hope...... as I see that my local exchange is *possibly* going to become fibre enabled as a "reach node" in the future. I'm 2.5 Km from it so perhaps, maybe perhaps, with vectoring I'd actually be in with a chance of being connected and still obtain a fairly decent speed of over 10Mbps.

So does anyone know that once an exchange goes fibre enabled, does that mean any line coming out of it, to a certain distance - say 2Km, can be fibre enabled, or does a roadside cabinet have go in as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

MBSnr wrote: »

So does anyone know that once an exchange goes fibre enabled, does that mean any line coming out of it, to a certain distance - say 2Km, can be fibre enabled, or does a roadside cabinet have go in as well?

Fibre is run from the exchange to the roadside cabinets which feed nearby (i.e. <2km) customers by copper. At the moment no fibre connections are fed directly from the exchange to customers which is a show stopper for anyone whose phone line is fed directly from their exchange.

ElNino wrote: »
    Fibre is run from the exchange to the roadside cabinets which feed nearby (i.e. <2km) customers by copper. At the moment no fibre connections are fed directly from the exchange to customers which is a show stopper for anyone whose phone line is fed directly from their exchange.

Thanks. Is there a technical reason why they don't do this? Seems like a crazy situation... oh wait, d'oh... it's Eircom....

Do you think they may change this for rural exchanges at some point? Seems like a logical thing to do....oh wait, d'oh... it's Eircom....

Thanks. Is there a technical reason why they don't do this? Seems like a crazy situation... oh wait, d'oh... it's Eircom....

Do you think they may change this for rural exchanges at some point? Seems like a logical thing to do....oh wait, d'oh... it's Eircom....

Part of it is legal, comreg and the RAPs system means its not as simple as fitting a new rack in the exchange.

The other issue is a lot of direct fed lines are long enough that they wont see much improvement from VDSL. ADSL2+ which they're currently on gives better speed over distance so while customers next door to the exchange would be a lot faster, thos 1500m down the road would have only a small improvement if any.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Part of it is legal, comreg and the RAPs system means its not as simple as fitting a new rack in the exchange.

The other issue is a lot of direct fed lines are long enough that they wont see much improvement from VDSL. ADSL2+ which they're currently on gives better speed over distance so while customers next door to the exchange would be a lot faster, thos 1500m down the road would have only a small improvement if any.

How can you tell if you are on a direct fed line or not?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    How can you tell if you are on a direct fed line or not?

You cant.

A local eircom tech might be able to tell you if you can grab a hold of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm 1500m from the cab I'm connected to and I'm currently getting 30Mbps down with vectoring enabled on VDSL2 with Eircom eFibre.

Eircom cabling follows the road and the cab I'm connected to has been identified many times by Eircom techs who I have dealt with in relation to it, so thats why I can calculate the distance (Google Earth, driving)

Some issues with my upload I'm working with Eircom on (RF interference effecting upload SNR). Modem suggests it could also do around 40Mbps but that prob wouldn't be a good idea until the RF interference is resolved.

Thanks. The exchange is only on ADSL so capped at 8Mbps. If it was on ADSL2+ then the reach would be greater and I'd be getting over 10Mbps (using the current line attenuation). That's the same as VDSL I know, but the issue you're forgetting is the upload. Moving to either ADSL2+ or VDSL would only double my download. But moving to VDSL would increase my upload by a factor of 10-15 times!!! There's the benefit right there! :D

Thanks. The exchange is only on ADSL so capped at 8Mbps. If it was on ADSL2+ then the reach would be greater and I'd be getting over 10Mbps (using the current line attenuation). That's the same as VDSL I know, but the issue you're forgetting is the upload. Moving to either ADSL2+ or VDSL would only double my download. But moving to VDSL would increase my upload by a factor of 10-15 times!!! There's the benefit right there! :D

Yep, very true. A friend had 12Mb DSL line and 12Mb VDSL available, very much worth him going for it to get the increase in upstream. While thats a nice bump, it doesnt make a huge incentive for eircom to spend a rake of money on new racks, DSLAMs, fitting, testing, commission and transferring customers. Putting VDSL into most towns cabs will come first as that makes a huge difference to up and down streams.

Yep, very true. A friend had 12Mb DSL line and 12Mb VDSL available, very much worth him going for it to get the increase in upstream. While thats a nice bump, it doesnt make a huge incentive for eircom to spend a rake of money on new racks, DSLAMs, fitting, testing, commission and transferring customers. Putting VDSL into most towns cabs will come first as that makes a huge difference to up and down streams.

I'm fairly sure at some point Eircom will put a cabinet in the local village fed from the proposed "Reach Node" exchange. However I guess I'll just have to live in perpetual hope that they also put one cabinet nearby.... or change things so that direct exchange connections can be enabled.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You cant.

A local eircom tech might be able to tell you if you can grab a hold of one.

I'm on a rural exchange , about 3km as the crow flies (about 4.5km following the roads) to the exchange in the Village , there are no other cabinets that I am aware of in my area.

Currently only have max 3Mb available, but rarely get it due to horrendous congestion .

Based on that and what I'm reading here , sounds to me that I am, on balance of probability, on a direct line to the exchange.

The exchange I'm connected to is listed as being scheduled for Fibre on the Wholesale site , but sounds like I'm not going to benefit.... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I'm on a rural exchange , about 3km as the crow flies (about 4.5km following the roads) to the exchange in the Village , there are no other cabinets that I am aware of in my area.

Currently only have max 3Mb available, but rarely get it due to horrendous congestion .

Based on that and what I'm reading here , sounds to me that I am, on balance of probability, on a direct line to the exchange.

The exchange I'm connected to is listed as being scheduled for Fibre on the Wholesale site , but sounds like I'm not going to benefit.... :-(

You could be 4km from the nearest cabinet if you followed the cable.I'm 2 km from the nearest cab and thats too far.Anything from a km on wont get fibre.Thats what I have been told by eircom.Say you could be on 3mb for a while.I'm on 4mb and fibre went live in my area 6 months ago.4 houses on the top of my road are able to get fibre but my speed is still 4mb and thats max .

Yes and no.

At the moment you're on a legacy exchange so its limited to 3Mb per user (and cant really support that at peak). If they run fibre to it for a VDSL cab or cabs then the backaul problems will be gone. Thatd allow them bump you up a few megs. If you're bang on 3Km your line could do 8, so even a bit further you should manage 6Mb.

Assuming they do the logical thing and hook the old exchange into the NGN grid.

codie wrote: »
    You could be 4km from the nearest cabinet if you followed the cable.I'm 2 km from the nearest cab and thats too far.Anything from a km on wont get fibre.Thats what I have been told by eircom.Say you could be on 3mb for a while.I'm on 4mb and fibre went live in my area 6 months ago.4 houses on the top of my road are able to get fibre but my speed is still 4mb and thats max .

Not strictly true in the city/urban areas. I've a business line 1.7Km from the cab. Initially I was told fibre was unavailable as I was over 1Km from the cabinet. I then, by chance, entered my number into the checker a month back and suddenly I could get it. I was told that they now consider lines out to 2Km from the cabinet. However that could vary from area to area....

Yes and no.

At the moment you're on a legacy exchange so its limited to 3Mb per user (and cant really support that at peak). If they run fibre to it for a VDSL cab or cabs then the backaul problems will be gone. Thatd allow them bump you up a few megs. If you're bang on 3Km your line could do 8, so even a bit further you should manage 6Mb.

Assuming they do the logical thing and hook the old exchange into the NGN grid.

Yes - According to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php , when I enter my Line attenuation stats etc. I am 3km from the exchange and have a max potential speed on ADSL2+ of 8.6Mb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes - According to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php , when I enter my Line attenuation stats etc. I am 3km from the exchange and have a max potential speed on ADSL2+ of 8.6Mb

that is basically the same as me, im on ADSL2+, between 2.8 and 3km line distance to the exchange. My modem connects at a different speed every time, usually anything from 7.8meg up to 9.6meg, it once connected at 10.3meg but that didnt last longer than 30 seconds before it reconnected. On speedtests I rarely hit higher than 8.00 meg.

Exactly. So all you need is that exchange brought up to date(easy to do with the fibre already running through/past it) and you'll be able to manage that. 8.6 is everything being in good condition, most likely 7Mb would be the more stable profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Its a rough guide as it quotes in the first few lines of the link and rough would in my experience mean totally inaccurate when it comes to expected speed expectations.

Line length is a rough guide as there are so many factors that can affect expected attainable rates. Many subscribers can have the same line length, but have different attainable rates. Similarly attenuation,
    taking line length into account is no guarantee of accurate attainable rates. Its an estimation that can vary so much from one subscriber to another.

sparky63 wrote: »
    Its a rough guide as it quotes in the first few lines of the link and rough would in my experience mean totally inaccurate when it comes to expected speed expectations.

Line length is a rough guide as there are so many factors that can affect expected attainable rates. Many subscribers can have the same line length, but have different attainable rates. Similarly attenuation,
    taking line length into account is no guarantee of accurate attainable rates. Its an estimation that can vary so much from one subscriber to another.

Totally get that - It's all theoretical and doesn't factor in quality of line etc. etc.

Fundamentally though , in the absence of a fairly major upgrade to the physical infrastructure in the locality, I am not going to get much better than 6-8Mbs regardless of the exchange being upgraded to Fibre.

I am about as far as it's possible to be from my exchange. My next door neighbour is actually in a different area code to me!! so not only am I at the edge of my local exchange I'm at the limits of my area code as well..

Don't think I could be in worse physical location tbh....

And I'm down in a hollow between a few small hills as well so none of the local FW providers can give me service either!!!

Ahh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm around 400 metres from the cabinet and Vodafone said I should be able to get 85Mb+, does this sound right?

Advertisement