Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro soft drinks

Options
  • 08-09-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember drinks such as Dwans orange? Or my personal favourite, Club shandy. I used to love Club shandy. I'd drink two cans of it during school lunch time (no wonder I was a fat bugger). Shame it's not produced anymore.
    I used to love Lockwoods Cola as well as it was only 20p a can and it tasted gorgeous.

Can anyone here remember any other retro soft drinks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I miss Cherry Coca Cola and Supercans. I remember the ad for Cadet Cola, but I don't think I ever tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

I remember 3 litres of Panda Cola

And the Holy Grail of them all

The SodaStream maker

Get Busy with the Fizzy

SodastreamFront.jpg

Rubik. wrote: »
    Supercans.

blast from the past :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I remember some lad from Ballygowan on the Late Late Show telling us about his product

"Fooking fool" said I
    Irish people will never pay for water

How wrong I was :o

I remember club shandy.
    It has a minuscule amount of beer and I thought I was great buying it. Stuff was rank!

Pepsi and Coca Cola were pricy enough so Dunnes Stores had a vending machine in their stores for Dunnes Cola. Even at 25p it wasn't worth it.
    What happened to Virgin Cola?
    I read Richard Branson book and he said it was mega profits so I never did find out what happened to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Remember the Virgin Cola ad on tv? Tastes like chicken. Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Cherry Coke is still around :) had some yesterday actually.

I saw an ad campaign for Soda Stream recently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cavan Cola. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

WindSock wrote: »
    Cherry Coke is still around :) had some yesterday actually.

Really??? I must look out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Ah yes, get busy with the fizzy... Used to love Sodastream !

I also remember an apple drink (Apla ??) It came out before Cidona and I used to love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Used to love a fizzy grapefruit drink in a can.. a blue can i think..

Fresco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Miranda Orange. If memory serves me right, I think Horslips were involved for a TV ad for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do they still sell this?

Now there are many versions, I do remember this ad but may have been a different voiceover for Ireland, I don't remember
    It's not even a good or funny ad, I just remember it. Proof I suppose that the ad worked

Love the youtube comment, most girls these days are this orange with fake tan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Rubik. wrote: »
    Really??? I must look out for it.

Boots carry a lot of flavours that we don't normally get over here,Cherry Coke,Cherry 7up etc,Tango etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone remember Smak Pineapple cans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

Anyone remember bubble-up? It was kind off like sprite :) I never got it in Dublin, always seemed to be in Wexford for some reason. Club Shandy is a blast from the past - we used to think we were great drinking it!! Cherry coke is back out as well - I've seen it in Super Valu and Dunnes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

What about Shannon Minerals' Raspberryade and American cream soda - used to get them in Clare in the 1980s, yummy they were.

Club Shandy was great with its 1.6% beer, made me feel grown up buying it and I'm sure I had a can in front of me for most of my Leaving Cert exams.

l love cherry coke too, must get some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

chughes wrote: »
    Miranda Orange. If memory serves me right, I think Horslips were involved for a TV ad for it.

It was Mirinda and yes it was Horslips..good call...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX-_yDOi19E

...and while yer there son, get me a pac.................:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vUmAWOth7E&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kfallon wrote: »
    Anyone remember Smak Pineapple cans?

Yep! AND smak cola :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

There was Carbery fizzy orange juice sold in West Cork.

Another drink was miwadi.

Excerpt from http://www.beveragecouncilofireland.ie/downloads/history06.12.06.doc

Dr Thomas Cantrell opened a shop in Belfast in 1852 where his business included the manufacture of aerated waters and sweet beverages. In 1868, he went into partnership with Alderman Cochrane (later Sir Henry and Lord Mayor of Dublin), and they opened their Dublin factory in the following year. Cantrell & Cochrane are best known for perfecting the manufacture of ginger ale and their “Club” range of products which was originally commissioned for the Kildare Street Club in Dublin.

In 1967 Thwaites, Cantrell & Cochrane, Taylor Keith and several other old established mineral water companies amalgamated to form Mineral Water Distributors Ltd. The initial letters of the company title were used for the “Mi-Wadi” range of fruit squashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Pittybitty wrote: »
    Anyone remember bubble-up? It was kind off like sprite :) I never got it in Dublin, always seemed to be in Wexford for some reason. Club Shandy is a blast from the past - we used to think we were great drinking it!! Cherry coke is back out as well - I've seen it in Super Valu and Dunnes :D

Bubble Up was made by Donohoe's in Enniscorthy and was effectively a 7UP-style affair. Donohoe's also made the Big Brother 640ml orange bottles and the 33oml Little Sister version, which were great. Their cola was ****e, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Pineapple Crush - luminous yellow radioactive stuff in a little green bottle - doubt it ever got a sniff of a pineapple but I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I remember drinking small bottles of orange called Score. It was cheap and nasty but still drank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Aglomerado wrote: »
    What about Shannon Minerals' Raspberryade and American cream soda - used to get them in Clare in the 1980s, yummy they were.

Club Shandy was great with its 1.6% beer, made me feel grown up buying it and I'm sure I had a can in front of me for most of my Leaving Cert exams.

l love cherry coke too, must get some!

Shannon minerals is still going strong. Their Lime juice and soda drink is gorgeous. You can't beat green colouring, artificial lime flavouring agent, sugar and soda water to quench your thirst on a hot day.

Anyone here remember Cadet cola in the 250ml bottles? A nasty toxic "drink" if there was ever one:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

Remember that stuff that used to come in soft plastic containers? Really odd shapes with bendy tubes? It was violently coloured i.e. turquoise, red, luminous green etc. Sometimes the bottles were shaped like bears or space ships! Tasted FOUL but I still bought them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Shannon minerals is still going strong. Their Lime juice and soda drink is gorgeous. You can't beat green colouring, artificial lime flavouring agent, sugar and soda water to quench your thirst on a hot day.
    Oh wow that was another one I'd forgotten! Haven't seen them anywhere in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

Creamsoda_3ltr.jpg

you can get Cherry Coke in most Boots afair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Friend of mine from Donegal remembers "football special" drinks - a locally made cola (like Cavan Cola, I guess). Think we spotted a bottle of it during a day out a couple of years ago!

I remember the Taylor Keith minerals (they weren't known as soft drinks back then!) every Xmas, which was the only time we had minerals in the house! - red & white lemonade, American cream soda, and ciderette!

There was TAB, in the pink tin, which preceded Diet Coke/Coke Zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I remember club shandy.
    It has a minuscule amount of beer and I thought I was great buying it.

There was no alcohol in it, ya mad yoke. Twas called a shandy cos it was a mixture of two things orange and ...lemon, I think.

I used to love Canada Dry and Cidona cos I thought they were mildly alcoholic too. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

There was no alcohol in it, ya mad yoke. Twas called a shandy cos it was a mixture of two things orange and ...lemon, I think.

I used to love Canada Dry and Cidona cos I thought they were mildly alcoholic too. :pac:

Club produced 2 types of shandy I remember the beer one well, I used to think I was all grown up with a can of that stuff in my hand even though it probably only contained .03% alcohol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I Love Tea wrote: »
    Club produced 2 types of shandy I remember the beer one well, I used to think I was all grown up with a can of that stuff in my hand even though it probably only contained .03% alcohol :)

That sounds ace (in a terrible, terrible way :)).

Advertisement