Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What was that RPG game on the mega-drive that the character had Streets of Rage moves. Story of Thor?

Yep story of thor. Decent game but felt a bit rushed. The Saturn sequel was great as well.

Everyone should try Alundra as super_furry said. Great game by a great company :)

Did not know of the sequel. Mumble... emulator... Whisper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Wasn't Freedom Fighters on PS2? I really would love to play that.. damn being a kid with no money when it came out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

The Ace Attorney series, probably damaged my Leaving Cert but ah well it was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

had an impact considering your username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Okay, calling it a classic might be a bit much, but i always had a soft spot for Wargames on the PC. It was a 1998 Strategy game *very* loosely based on the film from 1983. I got the first level on a demo disc of PC Active way back when and loved it, even though it really is nothing special compared to it's contemporaries.

the kind of bizarre thing is that there was a PS1 version too. It had the same units and the same levels, bit instead of an RTS game, it was more of a third-person vehicular combat game.

Now I have to go and try to track down one of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mark of Kri on the PS2
    Magic Carpet on the PC and PS and Saturn.
    Speaking of Saturn, Burning Rangers is pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mark of Kri on the PS2

Burning Rangers was fantastic. Another under appreciated game on the Saturn was Dark Saviour, an isometric platformer with 4 possible stories depending on how you play the opening level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Mark of Kri on the PS2

I never got to play burning rangers. I just remember reading all about it. Im sure it looks terrible now though, even the flame effects looked bad back then in the screenshots I saw.

Still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

prince of Persia on the snes was class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know if I said it, but Marlow Briggs is great value for money when picking it up for 99c during a Steam sale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

prince of Persia on the snes was class

Hardly under rated being one of the most influential games ever and one of the biggest games of its time. It's a strong contender for the game ported to more systems than any other.

I never got to play burning rangers. I just remember reading all about it. Im sure it looks terrible now though, even the flame effects looked bad back then in the screenshots I saw.

Still...

Yeah transparencies were easily the Saturns weak point, but on the other hand the Saturn versions of the 2d fighters like Street Fighter Alpha absolutely destroyed the PlayStation versions in performance, plus it had the best pad ever designed for 1v1 fighters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Burning Rangers was a remarkable game and its graphical compromises are well compensated by the rest on offer.
    That said...
    I haven't played it in a very very long time, though I own it.
    I suppose, as a Saturn owner who was actively playing it in it's final year or two, 97/98, everything good from then is an underrated gem!

Sonic Jam FTW!

Yeah transparencies were easily the Saturns weak point, but on the other hand the Saturn versions of the 2d fighters like Street Fighter Alpha absolutely destroyed the PlayStation versions in performance, plus it had the best pad ever designed for 1v1 fighters.

The saturn could actually do transparencies pretty easily it was just lazy coders that didn't bother coding them. On the PS1 it was very easy to do and the hardware had a video processor that was built to do transparency effects. On saturn you had to code them from scratch using assembly since there was no API.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The saturn could actually do transparencies pretty easily it was just lazy coders that didn't bother coding them. On the PS1 it was very easy to do and the hardware had a video processor that was built to do transparency effects. On saturn you had to code them from scratch using assembly since there was no API.

There is a difference between lazy coding and manufacturers making it hard. Coders are always going to have to prioritise their work based on highest returns.

Saturn was a great machine all being said though

There is a difference between lazy coding and manufacturers making it hard. Coders are always going to have to prioritise their work based on highest returns.

Saturn was a great machine all being said though

True but if you weren't coding in assembly then you'd have awful framerate problems even on PS1. Most good developers never used the API's. It's telling that on most of the saturns best games by the best developers that they would have true transparencies. The saturn did have a transparency mode much like the super nintendo did for 2D games o it's even more baffling when you see 2D games using dithered transparencies.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    True but if you weren't coding in assembly then you'd have awful framerate problems even on PS1. Most good developers never used the API's. It's telling that on most of the saturns best games by the best developers that they would have true transparencies. The saturn did have a transparency mode much like the super nintendo did for 2D games o it's even more baffling when you see 2D games using dithered transparencies.

Yeah for the most part developers used that horrible "net curtain" effect instead of true transparencies. I loved the Saturn and as mentioned the Saturn stomped all over the PSX when it came to 2d games except the lazy port of Symphony of the Night.

The Saturn was so much better at 2d that Capcom wouldn't make a PSX version of X-Men Children of the Atom, Virgin eventually released a poor port without Capcoms input.

Not going to compare X-Men vs SF due to the added RAM cart used by the Saturn, pity the PAL Saturn version got pulled weeks before release due to a dispute over who should pay for said RAM carts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just realised I have Vagrant Story which I bought on PSN years ago and never opened! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I finally abandoned Deadly Premonition. It was painful to play through and I didn't enjoy the story which I really thought I would. The game actually annoyed me I disliked it that much when I was looking forward to playing it for so long. I was going to try give it more time and just said no :pac:

Also rebought amped 3, its actually held up pretty well and is pretty awesome. Not 1080° awesome but good.

SSX 2012 (free on live) on the other hand is like every ssx game to me. Spinny, floaty, ping pongy nonsense :P give me thps or skate any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Not that old a game but heavy rain on ps3?

Horse84 wrote: »
    Not that old a game but heavy rain on ps3?

Just prepare yourself for some of the worst writing ever, the dodgiest of Europeans trying to sound like New Yorkers and plot twists and red herrings that seem to actively insult the intelligence of the player.

Thought I would bump this thread as I have come across another hidden gem for the PS2;

Urban Reign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sonic Jam FTW!

Sonic R, even if just for the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Adding another couple of ps2 games

Driver Parallel Lines
    Manhunt 1 and 2
    The Warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Manhunt 2 wasn't great I didn't think.
    I enjoyed the first one at the time though.

da gamer wrote: »
    Adding another couple of ps2 games

Driver Parallel Lines
    Manhunt 1 and 2
    The Warriors

Driver Parallel Lines is surprisingly good, but I think the audience had given up with the disaster that was Driver 3.
    I found the cops in that came incredibly tough though, unforgiving of traffic violations and persistent once they had your scent.
    I think GTA did that a bit better.
    But the dual timelines and vehicles, the city design, missions, all good, and the game is for peanuts in CEX these days.

Driver Parallel Lines is surprisingly good, but I think the audience had given up with the disaster that was Driver 3.
    I found the cops in that came incredibly tough though, unforgiving of traffic violations and persistent once they had your scent.
    I think GTA did that a bit better.
    But the dual timelines and vehicles, the city design, missions, all good, and the game is for peanuts in CEX these days.

Ya I enjoyed it at the time. Your probably right that a lot of people didn't bother playing parallel lines after Driv3r was so badly got. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed Driv3r despite its flaws. In fact I love the whole series, San Francisco was a terrific game, had great fun with that too

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Manhunt 2 wasn't great I didn't think.
    I enjoyed the first one at the time though.

Ya the first one was undoubtedly better but I still enjoyed the second one, I have it on psp, was easier got with the ban here at the time

• Advertisement

Found the manhunt games pretty woeful. Once you got over the childish swearing and gore it's a pretty terrible stealth game. Rockstar pulled the exclusive review from the UK magazine because they gave it 3 out of 10. All you reall did was walk up behind people and hold x.

Advertisement