Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated classic games

Comments

Cool Boarders 2 was where it was at.

Snowboard kids

Final Fantasy 7 Snowboarding mini game!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,822 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy 7 Snowboarding mini game!!!

Oh god, that's an example of a bad snow boarding game! Although I doubt it was meant to be good.

Skitchin' on the Megadrive.

Roadrash on Rollerblades.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh god, that's an example of a bad snow boarding game! Although I doubt it was meant to be good.

I know, I was pulling the piss as everyone was just throwing up every other SB game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

giants citizen kabuto. I was blown away by this game back in the day. class grafixs and a funny storyline, but nobody i knew played it and it didnt seem to get mush press.

Fahrenheit on the Xbox. It was a kind of precursor to Heavy Rain. Great game

Chocobo Racing ftw...oh and for that Final Limit...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,822 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Chocobo Racing ftw...oh and for that Final Limit...

Don't even start me on that, was only doing that at the weekend. And it was only the intro part to it when you have to get out of the prison. Big old load of arse! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Remember seeing Cool Boarders 2 set up on a demo pod in a skateboard clothes shop on Wexford Street in the mid-90s and being absolutely blown away by it.

• Advertisement

Don't even start me on that, was only doing that at the weekend. And it was only the intro part to it when you have to get out of the prison. Big old load of arse! :)

FF7 is such an underrated game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Fahrenheit on the Xbox. It was a kind of precursor to Heavy Rain. Great game

It was different and i really enjoyed it. the only thing is that in the type of game Quantic Dream make, you need really strong characters and story. I loved the bleakness of Fahrenheit (and Heavy Rain), but i feel that the plot sort of went too OTT in the last third,
    bringing in rogue A.I's, ressurection, eternal winter covering the world and a Deus Ex Machina child
    . It also had uncomfortable sex scenes.

FF7 is such an underrated game!

:P

It was different and i really enjoyed it. the only thing is that in the type of game Quantic Dream make, you need really strong characters and story. I loved the bleakness of Fahrenheit (and Heavy Rain), but i feel that the plot sort of went too OTT in the last third,
    bringing in rogue A.I's, ressurection, eternal winter covering the world and a Deus Ex Machina child
    . It also had uncomfortable sex scenes.

David Cage really just needs to hire a writer because he can't write, he's just terrible at it. All the awful journalists that say hte stories he writes are great need to stop fueling his ego so that he will come to that conclusion.

Azure Dreams on the Playstation sticks out fondly in my mind. Haven't played it since it was originally released so it may not hold up now but it was a really fun roguelike RPG with town building elements and some actually funny dating simulator elements. Must get around to playing it again one day.

Azure Dreams on the Playstation sticks out fondly in my mind. Haven't played it since it was originally released so it may not hold up now but it was a really fun roguelike RPG with town building elements and some actually funny dating simulator elements. Must get around to playing it again one day.

Oh it holds up alright. Fantastic game.

I'd like to add Suikoden 2. It had the misfortune of being a 2D RPG released along side Final Fantasy VIII. It had no hope of doing well and sold like absolute crap. It's one of the best RPGs ever made and still looks gorgeous, the 2D art is beautiful and the amount of care and attention that went into the animations is phenomenal. There's zero battle loading time and battles are over in seconds. And then there's the story. Lots of political backstabbing during a war that shows that in war there are no winners. It puts to shame the likes of Game of Thrones.

Oh and Luca Blight, one of gamings all time great villians.

It's finally up on PSN and really you have no excuse not to get it and play it considering it can go for upwards of 250 euro on ebay.

I'd like to add Suikoden 2. It had the misfortune of being a 2D RPG released along side Final Fantasy VIII. It had no hope of doing well and sold like absolute crap. It's one of the best RPGs ever made and still looks gorgeous, the 2D art is beautiful and the amount of care and attention that went into the animations is phenomenal. There's zero battle loading time and battles are over in seconds. And then there's the story. Lots of political backstabbing during a war that shows that in war there are no winners. It puts to shame the likes of Game of Thrones.

Oh and Luca Blight, one of gamings all time great villians.

It's finally up on PSN and really you have no excuse not to get it and play it considering it can go for upwards of 250 euro on ebay.

You are no longer allowed to put down people for using hyperboles when describing modern games after this statement :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

giants citizen kabuto. I was blown away by this game back in the day. class grafixs and a funny storyline, but nobody i knew played it and it didnt seem to get mush press.
    God yeah, the blue female spirit character the way she used to leap around the map was so much fun, probably the reason I loved Crackdown and Prototype so much when they came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Great game as long as you avoid the console versions. Nothing like a story about a bunch of drunken space marines on their way to Planet Ibiza :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Poor Planet Moon Studios. Giants: Citizen Kabuto was fantastic and they followed it up with the equally fun as hell Armed and Dangerous. Unfortunately poor sales of both titles and little traction with publishers led to them getting stuck with poor PSP and Wii work until they finally dissolved back in 2011. :(

SiN was an older game that I always loved that felt was totally unappreciated on release. There are a number of reasons of course, the primary one being the fact it was released alongside Half Life which blew pretty much everything else out of the water at the time. The bugs it shipped with were also pretty severe and it led to an early campaign to stop publishers from releasing unfinished games which needed huge patches to fix. It's initial patch, for instance, was over 30MB which was deemed completely unacceptable at the time. How things have changed. :pac:

You are no longer allowed to put down people for using hyperboles when describing modern games after this statement :P

It's not really hyperbole though. It's way better. It's heavily based on Outlaws of the Marsh (even more so than the first game) one of the classics of Chinese literature and puts to shame the likes of Game of Thrones when it comes to scope and themes. Trust me, just play the fame. It's just full of intrigue, backstabbing, back room politics and complex characters (and Game of Thrones isn't that great anyway when it comes to epics :P )

gizmo wrote: »
    SiN was an older game that I always loved that felt was totally unappreciated on release. There are a number of reasons of course, the primary one being the fact it was released alongside Half Life which blew pretty much everything else out of the water at the time. The bugs it shipped with were also pretty severe and it led to an early campaign to stop publishers from releasing unfinished games which needed huge patches to fix. It's initial patch, for instance, was over 30MB which was deemed completely unacceptable at the time. How things have changed. :pac:

Play it now and you'll see why it's not considered that great anymore. I loved it on release but really a few weeks later Half Life left it looking extremely dated (it did that to pretty much every 3D FPS before it and quite a few afterwards in fairnes). It's really not a classic, more a remnant of FPS games before Half Life came along.

It does kind of play like Duke Nukem 3D in a 3D engine but not as good as that game either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Play it now and you'll see why it's not considered that great anymore. I loved it on release but really a few weeks later Half Life left it looking extremely dated (it did that to pretty much every 3D FPS before it and quite a few afterwards in fairnes). It's really not a classic, more a remnant of FPS games before Half Life came along.

It does kind of play like Duke Nukem 3D in a 3D engine but not as good as that game either.
    I was tempted to do so before SiN Episodes came out but that was such a let down I decided to avoid it in case it just compounded the disappointment. :o

I don't really doubt it hasn't aged well although I'd wager it still has one of the most satisfying weapon equip animations for its sniper rifle.

I was a sucker for those middling to nearly classic FPS games back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Blood II, Shogo, Kingpin, Requiem, Kiss: Psycho Circus et al, not a single modern military sim amongst them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Muppet Race Mania. It wasn't original and looking back it probably wasn't as slick as Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing but it was a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That wad brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Anyone ever play Soleil (or Crusader of Centy per accordance with wiki) on the megadrive? I'm only after reminding myself of it and how amazing it was, the story was brilliant! Don't think I have met another soul that has played it unfortunately :(

Freedom Fighters on the ps1 was also great, countless hours spent on the MP with friends.

Soleil is a great little zelda clone. Had a cameo of Sonic in it as well :)

Freedom Fighters is an excellent game as well. I was so disappointed with Kane and Lynch, it promised to be a next gen freedom fighters. What I got was freedom fighters but ****.

What was that RPG game on the mega-drive that the character had Streets of Rage moves. Story of Thor?

• Advertisement

If we're talking Zelda clones there's few better than Alundra on the PSone.

What was that RPG game on the mega-drive that the character had Streets of Rage moves. Story of Thor?

Yep story of thor. Decent game but felt a bit rushed. The Saturn sequel was great as well.

Everyone should try Alundra as super_furry said. Great game by a great company :)

Did not know of the sequel. Mumble... emulator... Whisper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Wasn't Freedom Fighters on PS2? I really would love to play that.. damn being a kid with no money when it came out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

The Ace Attorney series, probably damaged my Leaving Cert but ah well it was worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

had an impact considering your username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Okay, calling it a classic might be a bit much, but i always had a soft spot for Wargames on the PC. It was a 1998 Strategy game *very* loosely based on the film from 1983. I got the first level on a demo disc of PC Active way back when and loved it, even though it really is nothing special compared to it's contemporaries.

the kind of bizarre thing is that there was a PS1 version too. It had the same units and the same levels, bit instead of an RTS game, it was more of a third-person vehicular combat game.

Now I have to go and try to track down one of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mark of Kri on the PS2
    Magic Carpet on the PC and PS and Saturn.
    Speaking of Saturn, Burning Rangers is pretty awesome.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mark of Kri on the PS2

Burning Rangers was fantastic. Another under appreciated game on the Saturn was Dark Saviour, an isometric platformer with 4 possible stories depending on how you play the opening level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mark of Kri on the PS2

I never got to play burning rangers. I just remember reading all about it. Im sure it looks terrible now though, even the flame effects looked bad back then in the screenshots I saw.

Still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

prince of Persia on the snes was class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know if I said it, but Marlow Briggs is great value for money when picking it up for 99c during a Steam sale

prince of Persia on the snes was class

Hardly under rated being one of the most influential games ever and one of the biggest games of its time. It's a strong contender for the game ported to more systems than any other.

I never got to play burning rangers. I just remember reading all about it. Im sure it looks terrible now though, even the flame effects looked bad back then in the screenshots I saw.

Still...

Yeah transparencies were easily the Saturns weak point, but on the other hand the Saturn versions of the 2d fighters like Street Fighter Alpha absolutely destroyed the PlayStation versions in performance, plus it had the best pad ever designed for 1v1 fighters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Burning Rangers was a remarkable game and its graphical compromises are well compensated by the rest on offer.
    That said...
    I haven't played it in a very very long time, though I own it.
    I suppose, as a Saturn owner who was actively playing it in it's final year or two, 97/98, everything good from then is an underrated gem!

Sonic Jam FTW!

Yeah transparencies were easily the Saturns weak point, but on the other hand the Saturn versions of the 2d fighters like Street Fighter Alpha absolutely destroyed the PlayStation versions in performance, plus it had the best pad ever designed for 1v1 fighters.

The saturn could actually do transparencies pretty easily it was just lazy coders that didn't bother coding them. On the PS1 it was very easy to do and the hardware had a video processor that was built to do transparency effects. On saturn you had to code them from scratch using assembly since there was no API.

The saturn could actually do transparencies pretty easily it was just lazy coders that didn't bother coding them. On the PS1 it was very easy to do and the hardware had a video processor that was built to do transparency effects. On saturn you had to code them from scratch using assembly since there was no API.

There is a difference between lazy coding and manufacturers making it hard. Coders are always going to have to prioritise their work based on highest returns.

Saturn was a great machine all being said though

There is a difference between lazy coding and manufacturers making it hard. Coders are always going to have to prioritise their work based on highest returns.

Saturn was a great machine all being said though

True but if you weren't coding in assembly then you'd have awful framerate problems even on PS1. Most good developers never used the API's. It's telling that on most of the saturns best games by the best developers that they would have true transparencies. The saturn did have a transparency mode much like the super nintendo did for 2D games o it's even more baffling when you see 2D games using dithered transparencies.

True but if you weren't coding in assembly then you'd have awful framerate problems even on PS1. Most good developers never used the API's. It's telling that on most of the saturns best games by the best developers that they would have true transparencies. The saturn did have a transparency mode much like the super nintendo did for 2D games o it's even more baffling when you see 2D games using dithered transparencies.

Yeah for the most part developers used that horrible "net curtain" effect instead of true transparencies. I loved the Saturn and as mentioned the Saturn stomped all over the PSX when it came to 2d games except the lazy port of Symphony of the Night.

The Saturn was so much better at 2d that Capcom wouldn't make a PSX version of X-Men Children of the Atom, Virgin eventually released a poor port without Capcoms input.

Not going to compare X-Men vs SF due to the added RAM cart used by the Saturn, pity the PAL Saturn version got pulled weeks before release due to a dispute over who should pay for said RAM carts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just realised I have Vagrant Story which I bought on PSN years ago and never opened! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I finally abandoned Deadly Premonition. It was painful to play through and I didn't enjoy the story which I really thought I would. The game actually annoyed me I disliked it that much when I was looking forward to playing it for so long. I was going to try give it more time and just said no :pac:

Also rebought amped 3, its actually held up pretty well and is pretty awesome. Not 1080° awesome but good.

SSX 2012 (free on live) on the other hand is like every ssx game to me. Spinny, floaty, ping pongy nonsense :P give me thps or skate any day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement