Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once more into the fray...

• 01-09-2014 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Welcome to my study log.

Just would like to keep track of my progression, and it would be messy if I did this in a copy and so on. Also, I think it'd be a nice idea to have other people [who are interested] to watch me like a overhead God!

Subjects:
    Irish [H hopefully]
    English [H]
    Maths [H]
    Geography [H]
    Biology [H]
    Physchem [H]
    Italian [H]

I don't really know what I'd like to do at University, but I have a rough idea. It could be engineering, or psychology ... maybe even physics? I really don't know, but interest is growing in the Space Industry, so I might aim for that through physics or/and engineering. It's also growing very rapidly as I'm sure NASA and the lot would need more engineers and so on in the future. Recently they announced the first launch for Mars in 2018! Loads of potential jobs.

This log will be a disaster.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Did homework today [which took a bit over two hours].

Writing new vocabulary into a special copy for Irish, and spent some time scrolling through past-papers on examinations.ie. Just trying to come face to face with the exam so I know what I'm dealing with.

Will be more focused on Irish and Italian for awhile throughout the upcoming months.

Another two hours on homework today, most of it being English.

I'd consider some of my homework really great study - like English, doing questions from pastpapers so we can get a feel etc. This is excellent in my opinion.

Spent some time going over basic general questions for the Italian oral. Just need to really perfect my accent, but that will hopefully come over time.

Read through Italian and Geography past papers.

Tomorrow, I'll start exploring Irish a bit more.

Another two hours on homework today, most of it being English.

I'd consider some of my homework really great study - like English, doing questions from pastpapers so we can get a feel etc. This is excellent in my opinion.

Spent some time going over basic general questions for the Italian oral. Just need to really perfect my accent, but that will hopefully come over time.

Read through Italian and Geography past papers.

Tomorrow, I'll start exploring Irish a bit more.

Started outlining some interesting words in my sceal for studied fiction. Google translator is helping me learn them. I'll have a list by this weekend, and make it my weekend goal to learn a set of words.

Did some homework, and have a biology, Italian and Physchem test tomorrow. They're easy... For me.

Organised all my notes, have folders for every subject and designated polly pockets for each new chapter. :D

Added a bunch of new words to my Irish vocab copy. Started a new copy for Italian Oral stuff, so hopefully that will be packed full of handy things [already have a lot of general questions] in the near future.

This weekend, I will attempt to learn MOST of the vocab in my Irish vocab copy. I want to test the capacity of my learning ability.

Homework was nice today, and managed [I never use notes to complete science homework, good habit] to complete my biology, phsychem and Irish assignments without the aid of any notes. That's the best way to study in my opinion. Wrote almost an A4 page on the topic of Poverty for Irish :D surprised how much I was able to flesh out. Next week I should try it again this time without my vocab copy!

Right, I have two copy pages full of new words and phrases. Going to learn five a day/two days and see how that goes. I don't want to rush, and try learn it naturally by somehow integrating the word or phrase into my every day life.

Italian general questions 1 - 18 are nailed down. :D

• Advertisement

Right, managed to learn 20 new words/phrases in irish. Will keep refreshing myself every day for a few minutes so they could stick to me.

Going to start listening to Italian podcasts and see how that goes for a month. Hopefully I'll pull myself for a few minutes every day to listen to crazy Italians converse about the world :p

Learning A 250-300 word essay for Bochtanas in Irish today.

Made experimental mind maps for regions in Geography, and promised to myself to LEARN like 30 verbs for Italian over the weekend. Patiently waiting for the results of my Irish test!

Need to figure out how to incorporate my language subjects into my every day life outside school. I really need to master them :l

Okay, time to get the ball rolling again.

What I've done outside school since last log:
    - Formulated complete study notes for Regional Geography
    - Organised my language notes (Irish and Italian)
    - Starting notes for Maths

Today: I revised 3 out of the 5 pictures stories for Italian, and have read through the chapters I've covered in biology.

Tomorrow: Revise Irish pictures - maths notes - relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've decided I'm going to drop Irish when I start sixth year, it's not worth the hassle and I don't need the points or pass in Irish. Just want a C in Ordinary at least :D.

Today:
    Revise Motion and Mechanics for PhysChem
    Make Irish Notes
    Revise Italian pictures

• Advertisement

What I've done since last log:
    - Complete set of geography notes (SRP sheets basically for all chapters we did)
    - Halfway through revision notes for Maths
    - Started compiling Irish notes
    - Reading a lot more (to help with English)

Goals for the next few weeks:
    - Finish Maths notes, and stay up to date
    - Finish Irish notes
    - Read newspaper daily (I'll try ..)
    - Study for summer exams

Started formulating a timetable for the subjects I'm weakest on, the idea only emerged last week.
    Wednesday --> Maths (notes)
    Friday --> Irish (notes)
    Saturday --> Maths (mini exam)
    Sunday --> Geography (notes + one exam question)

Will update this once every Sunday for now.

What I've done since last log:
    - Complete set of geography notes (SRP sheets basically for all chapters we did)
    - Halfway through revision notes for Maths
    - Started compiling Irish notes
    - Reading a lot more (to help with English)

Goals for the next few weeks:
    - Finish Maths notes, and stay up to date
    - Finish Irish notes
    - Read newspaper daily (I'll try ..)
    - Study for summer exams

Started formulating a timetable for the subjects I'm weakest on, the idea only emerged last week.
    Wednesday --> Maths (notes)
    Friday --> Irish (notes)
    Saturday --> Maths (mini exam)
    Sunday --> Geography (notes + one exam question)

Will update this once every Sunday for now.

Didn't finish maths notes unfortunately, will get that done by Tuesday me thinks.

Did:
    - Revised Optics, Refraction and Current Electricity.
    - Revised four out of five pictures stories for Italian.
    - Progressed in Maths notes (actually starting to understand stuff I didn't months ago :D)
    - Irish notes.

Will do this week:
    - Finish Math notes
    - Revise the rest of PhysChem
    - Read through biology notes
    - Update geography notes
    - RELAX
    :D

Summer exams in five weeks or so. I'm aiming for 450 points minimum.

Did:
    - More maths note (WILL FINISH BY THE END OF THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!)
    - Glanced through Irish Sraith Pictures ... there's too many...
    - Revised Italian pictures
    - Revised a few biology chapters
    - Revised a few PhysChem chapters

Will do:
    - Completely revise biology (do questions)
    - Finish maths notes
    - Write Irish answers
    - Write Geography answers (maybe two)
    - Start Italian roleplays

I'm wrecked today. Had a competition today, and just arrived home like an hour ago. Not going to do anything today, just glance through some study for tomorrow. Managed to make it to the Irish Team :D.

Ran out of paper for math notes...:(

Almost done.

Finished maths notes! I feel like I have a better command over complex numbers and logs (the hardest chapters so far). It has taken 49 A4 Pages to summarise - and I'm planning to rewrite the notes + do questions on the days leading to the maths exam. I need a B minimum! Will study hard!

For the week, I will completely revise PhysChem by doing questions.

Will also start making a list of quotes for English on my three comparative texts and king lear.

Don't know how to study Irish ... :l

This weekend:
    - Revised all of biology
    - Revised all of PhysChem
    - Snooped around for a few quotes to use for English
    - Revised all of Maths
    - Glanced over Italian verbs

Summer exams in two days.
    Subject
    Expected
    Will make me happy:
    Biology
    A1
    A1
    PhysChem
    A2
    A1
    Maths
    B1
    A1
    English
    B1
    A2
    Geography
    A2
    A1
    Italian
    C1
    B1 (although my oral and listening went quite well!)
    Irish
    E
    D1

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

Hey, what books do you use for Italian? I want to study it but not sure what stuff I need for it :)

Lena137 wrote: »
    Hey, what books do you use for Italian? I want to study it but not sure what stuff I need for it :)

Actually don't use books. Teacher just prints out sheets and makes his own notes.

Mi piace l'italiano!

Got my results - fairly happy but definitely see room for improvement in a subject or two.

English - B2
    Irish - B2 (shocked!!)
    Maths - C3 (gutted... Need to work on it :o)
    Geography - B2
    Italian - B3 (not bad)
    Physchem - A1
    Biology - A1

525 points which is enough for engineering but the C3 in maths is touching the requirements, can't risk getting anything below the C3. Need to get a B3 at least! :p

Going to drop to ordinary Irish, and take up applied maths full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Got my results - fairly happy but definitely see room for improvement in a subject or two.

English - B2
    Irish - B2 (shocked!!)
    Maths - C3 (gutted... Need to work on it :o)
    Geography - B2
    Italian - B3 (not bad)
    Physchem - A1
    Biology - A1

525 points which is enough for engineering but the C3 in maths is touching the requirements, can't risk getting anything below the C3. Need to get a B3 at least! :p

Going to drop to ordinary Irish, and take up applied maths full time.
    Wow! Well done on your results, they're brilliant!

• Advertisement

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Wow! Well done on your results, they're brilliant!

Maths though... All I wanted was a B3.. Didn't care about other subjects.

I got everything bar the maths :D funny...
    You chuffed with your results?

Introduction into 6th year today - so we didn't have classes.

-Went through 2/5 italian picture sequences.

Hoping to get a lot more done tomorrow since I'll have classes and hence my summer exam scripts returned. :)

-Covered the rest of Italian pictures today.
    -Revised and did questions for Diffusion + Osmosis and Tissue Culture Chapters.
    -Planned a King Lear question and did a full composition question from paper one 2012. My hand hurts, got 5 pages in 105mins :o. So rusty...

-Revised and did questions for Cell Division and DNA/RNA chapters.
    -Fixed and reorganised maths notes.
    -Fixed and reorganised English notes.
    -Did all revision questions for Algebra 1. Definitely feel like I have a more tighter knowledge, amazing how a simple maths problem would make your day... (it was a slow painful death :o).

-Some Maths questions, will finish them tomorrow.

Today was a cool down day because the homework did build up and I want to keep it to exam standard :).

No energy to do anything remotely productive thanks to a busy weekend.

Did a few maths questions yesterday but still haven't finished the revision section for Algebra 2.

On the bright side, a study timetable to keep me going until Christmas has been formulated :D.

Lazy me will spend the rest of today reading through old notes and my new book :).

TOMORROW I WILL SHOW NO MERCY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Consonata

No energy to do anything remotely productive thanks to a busy weekend.

Did a few maths questions yesterday but still haven't finished the revision section for Algebra 2.

On the bright side, a study timetable to keep me going until Christmas has been formulated :D.

Lazy me will spend the rest of today reading through old notes and my new book :).

TOMORROW I WILL SHOW NO MERCY!

Yesterday was my unproductive day haha. I did only a few notes but I had no energy whatsoever. Did a run this morning and felt much better.

Consonata wrote: »
    Yesterday was my unproductive day haha. I did only a few notes but I had no energy whatsoever. Did a run this morning and felt much better.

Exercise is great for that. I think everyone should do something at least once every second day.

Love going to the park when no one is there and the sun is spewing contrasting colours above the horizon - helps think about the hard days coming ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

This is such a detailed thread, I'm impressed by how long you've been going on. Hope you had a fun weekend, gotta get that work/life balance.

Keep going, you're doing so well!

(I actually think I remember seeing you around on the JC and TY fora ... Mad!)

• Advertisement

Testing testing... 123...procrastinator speaking...

Tomorrow will be a much more productive day.

GOALS FOR TOMORROW:
    -Two exam questions geography
    -Finish Algebra 2
    -Do questions and fully revise one Physchem chapter
    -Start planning full king Lear question
    -Mini Italian homemade oral test

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

how are you finding time to study? i can just about keep up with homework?

how are you finding time to study? i can just about keep up with homework?

Some homework I count as study. If I get an essay question for a poet for English - I'd make handy notes aswell for future reference.

You need to utilise time, and do homework efficiently. Learn in class so when you do homework, you don't need to look over notes and then back to the question... That wastes time.

Of course though, if you don't remember or fully understand the material from class - do homework with notes.

-Very decent standard for my Italian oral. Got my sister to muster the questions in broken Italian :D.
    -Did a geography question on Destructive Plate Boundaries and European Regions - took me 32mins to do two 30m questions. I'm expecting a C since I was rushing it...Don't know why... Need to fix my attitude and timing :/.
    -Finished Algebra 2
    -Made notes on chapter we are doing now for Maths.
    -Made Elizabeth Bishop notes and collected King Lear notes.
    -Read through Motion chapter for Physchem.
    -Revised Enzymes and Metabolism for biology.

Tomorrow plan:
    -Start new maths revision chapter.
    -Another two geography questions.
    -King Lear mind maps (I'm off putting this for some reason :/ been two weeks already)
    -Italian Vocabulary
    -FIX MATHS NOTES again.

TODAY
    -Did some questions for motion chapter.
    -Answered geography long question on rocks.
    -Started Algebra 3 revision (really hate financial maths...)
    -Organised a folder for math notes, but starting to realise practice questions > notes.
    -Learned some new irish vocabulary, hopefully I remember tomorrow morning.
    -Planned another Elizabeth Bishop question, will do tomorrow.

TOMORROW
    -Biology one chapter revision.
    -Italian homemade oral test.
    -Maths Algebra 1 + 2 homemade test (yeah, I'm harsh...)
    -Do Elizabeth Bishop question
    -RELAX

:)

Keep going off my plans, but once I do something I think it's good.

Never was good with schedules especially when there's no reinforcement or proper initiative.

Next week I'll muster something more easy to get into. Wonder if I could work into a four day plan-draft-write routine for my English answers.

• Advertisement

TODAY:
    -Act 1 full mind map and quotes list for King Lear.
    -Did Elizabeth Bishop question.
    -More questions for Algebra 3 (very tricky... Or lack of motivation?).
    -More Irish vocabulary.
    -Biology Energy Carriers revision.

Hoping to get more done in relation to maths tomorrow. :)

I keep underestimating the feeling of fatigue...

Did nothing on Friday.

Saturday:
    -Two geography essays (Waterfall and GDA)
    -Did some applied maths linear motion questions.
    -Started converting my sraith Pictuir notes into more accessible format.
    -English, made more notes on Elizabeth Bishop (mainly on Questions of Travel)

Today:
    -Geography essay on Meander.
    -English answer on Elizabeth Bishop question.
    -Revised some oral questions for Italian and tested on picture sequences.
    -Made a mind map and quotes list for Act 2 king Lear.

Hopefully tomorrow I can keep the momentum going :).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Oh man I know how you feel with the fatigue ... I get barely anything done on Friday, just a French opinion question I think. Got stuff done on Safurday and today though which is something.

You're doing well :)

Oh man I know how you feel with the fatigue ... I get barely anything done on Friday, just a French opinion question I think. Got stuff done on Safurday and today though which is something.

You're doing well :)

Hard to get Friday study out of the way when you have a maths extra class at the end and grinds later.

Swear I got nightmares about numbers!

Didn't do much besides practice some linear motion questions for applied maths and look over new vocabulary for irish and Italian.

Roll on tomorrow...

• Advertisement

Past week has been very busy, thankfully after September everything will settle down for me.

Some stuff I got done here and there:
    -Act 3,4 and 5 mindmaps and quotes list for King Lear.
    -Looked over some PhysChem chapters.
    -Irish vocabulary learnt.
    -Another Elizabeth Bishop question.
    -Started doing questions for statistics 1.
    -Practicing Italian sentence structures.

Won't get much study done this week, but next week will hopefully start the more routine study. :)

GEOGRAPHY
    Re-did destructive plates question.

ITALIAN
    Revised five pictures and started learning roleplay 2.

BIOLOGY
    Did Bacteria revision questions.

UPDATE:

Can't seem to follow a fixed study plan, but I have the core subjects gravitated in my week.

Pumping out geography essays for quick revision and practice (six a week, usually 15min per essay.)

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are orientated towards Maths and Applied Maths (just practicing questions, all from past papers.)

Learning italian vocabulary every time I come across something new - and of course practising for the oral.

Irish and English is on and off, I feel like they depend on my day as both require thoughtful approaches on the questions (except the reading comprehensions of course ;))

Biology and physchem are floating well, making good revision due to the amount of exams we're getting...

No rest days so far, don't feel like I need one, but I take six hour long breaks during the weekend. Study 6-10 5-8ish

GOALS before xmas:
    -Have a complete set of Geography essays of all syllabus I done so far (the ones applicable to the exam questions..) and have them corrected by my teacher.
    -Master Financial Maths, Logs and Complex Numbers (they're the worst chapters for me :l )
    -Know 15/20 sraith pictures and all Italian oral elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

study 6-10 5-8ish

You get up at 6 at the weekend? That's dedication right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

My friend used to do the exact same as arnie. Even their breaks are similar.Ended up with 560.;)
    Hes trying to make me do it aswell, but the latest I can get up is at 9. But gradually reducing my minutes every weekend to come to that time. Hopefully will get there....eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Good luck with that :P

Yeah, you get used to it really quick. It's not a chore if you love vibrant colours and chilly mornings ;).

It's not as productive as the evening study sessions of course , but I feel like if I get x,y and z done before my day even starts then I'd be at a huge advantage in terms of my study load.

One thing for sure though - the urge to smash the alarm is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

How on earth do you get the motivation?

Manufan123 wrote: »
    How on earth do you get the motivation?

It's only a year of hard work.

At the moment I have 196 days until English paper one... :o

Cleaned my maths and English notes. Crazy how five minutes of sitting down and going through your disorganised mess could make you feel more in control.

I've been carrying copies jammed with sheets for a few weeks now - finally the sheets are all organised! :) +1 to my week.

The geography essays are going well, my timing is getting better. Pretty sure I'm discovering new muscles on my hands and fingers ha. Hopefully when I have the first few batches of essays corrected, I'd maintain a B3+ average. Really curious about this average to be honest ....

Ploughing through a lot of past papers for maths, a giant mood booster when you're able to do the question :).

Have Christmas exams next week.

GOALS:
    Biology A1
    PhysChem A1
    Geography A2
    Maths A1
    English B1
    OL Irish B1
    Italian B1

Want to maintain consistency...

• Advertisement
Advertisement