Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan General - Consultant Led?

Options
  • 18-07-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Okay, so just preparing myself here - I'm registered with the MLU and am a week overdue tomorrow. Obviously I could still go naturally before induction is started (Wednesday night) but since I have to be transferred out of the MLU and over to the other side for induction, birth and aftercare, I was hoping to get some info as to how things work. I never thought to ask and obviously I'd like to hear from mums that have given birth there rather than just take midwives at their word :o
    So, I know once I go in that night, my partner is sent home. He's already said he won't be going home, but is going to stay in the canteen of the hospital and read or whatever if allowed (this is our first baby :o ). But what happens when I go into labour? How "far along" do I have to be for him to be called back?
    I absolutely do not want an epidural under any circumstances whatsoever, but obviously will accept a c-sect if it is necessary. Would the staff that side be likely to push an epidural? If I needed a c-sect, how would I be anaesthetised? Do I have any rights with how this would be done, ie requesting one form of anaesthesia over another?
    Is there a waiting room in the ward area for families?
    How soon after birth (assuming it occurs outside visiting hours) would my partner have to leave me? (again, he has no intentions of going further than the car park :o ). If I do give birth outside visiting hours, would immediate family be allowed to see me and the baby in the labour room, or would they have to wait?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Induction with the gel is what will happen here it sounds like. I've had one induction, but it's differernt for everyone. I had one round of gel at night time, by about 5am some small contractions had started, by 9am I was asking for gas and air, 11am I was asking for epi, baby born just after 1pm I think. That was a second baby, so thngs moved quite fast. Husband was at home overnight, he came back in at 8am.

On first babies things do tend to be slower, sometimes they give you another round of gel, or the oxytocin drip, or break your waters. It can take a couple of days. I'd suggest letting your husband get some sleep if you can, but if you're a couple of hours drive from the hospital or something, then that may not be feasible.

A c-section is usually done under epidural so that you are awake for it. Other options are probably available, I'd ask the midwives when you see them.

When the baby is born you are transferred to another room. In cork partners could come and go as they pleased, stay all night if they wished. No visitors in the labour room normally. Not sure about cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

In the event of a section, the options are for epidural or a spinal anaesthesia and in emergency circumstances where they need to get the baby out ASAP they'll administer a general anaesthetic but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm. Can't tell you anything about your other queries sorry.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/caesarean-section.aspx#close

Just re the epidural, if you are absolutely vehemently opposed to it that's fine but just be prepared that in the event of an induction the contractions are supposed to come thick and fast so if you do feel the pain is beyond what you can cope with the epidural is administered by drip so there is an element of control to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Merkin wrote: »
    In the event of a section, the options are for epidural or a spinal anaesthesia and in emergency circumstances where they need to get the baby out ASAP they'll administer a general anaesthetic but that tends to be the exception rather than the norm. Can't tell you anything about your other queries sorry.

What's the difference between an epidural and spinal anaesthesia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

What's the difference between an epidural and spinal anaesthesia?

Precisely my next question.
    I'm not against them as such, but am completely, utterly TERRIFIED of needles, and there would be no way on this earth they could successfully administer an epidural to me, because I wouldn't co-operate. I have to be held down by a second midwife and my partner just for the blood tests. So telling me to relax for a big needle in my back would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm not against them as such, but am completely, utterly TERRIFIED of needles, and there would be no way on this earth they could successfully administer an epidural to me, because I wouldn't co-operate. I have to be held down by a second midwife and my partner just for the blood tests. So telling me to relax for a big needle in my back would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot :o
    To be honest I would have taken a needle in my eyeball to stop the pain when I needed the epi, I got to 8cm and couldn't cope. I didn't see or feel the needle they numb the area. I wouldn't rule out epi if you are being induced as it can make contractions very close together and pains stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Shashabear I was 100% against epidurals and thought "sure why doesn't everyone just suck up the pain". My sis was really unfortunate and suffered those crazy headaches because they put it in the wrong place. It really used to annoy me when people would say (including the domino midwives) "see how you go, keep an open mind". I swear to you I would of paid any amount of money for an epidural at the time. I am not joking the pain is serious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The spinal tends to be just one shot of anaesthesia and is fast acting (five minutes). The epidural leaves a catheter in your back and takes from anything between half an hour up to an hour in some cases to take effect.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/epidural-and-spinal-anesthesia-topic-overview

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    To be honest I would have taken a needle in my eyeball to stop the pain when I needed the epi, I got to 8cm and couldn't cope. I didn't see or feel the needle they numb the area. I wouldn't rule out epi if you are being induced as it can make contractions very close together and pains stronger

Sarah bear I am laughing my head off......a needle in the eyebal! I hear you!!!

Millem wrote: »
    Shashabear I was 100% against epidurals and thought "sure why doesn't everyone just suck up the pain". My sis was really unfortunate and suffered those crazy headaches because they put it in the wrong place. It really used to annoy me when people would say (including the domino midwives) "see how you go, keep an open mind". I swear to you I would of paid any amount of money for an epidural at the time. I am not joking the pain is serious!!

Again, nothing to do with being against them, I'm just aware that no medical professional will have any sort of success in getting within 5 feet of me with a needle unless there are people to hold me down. That kind of tension, I'm told, doesn't help it work :o I scream, I thrash, I spit, I bite and will kick or lash out if I'm able. I really can't control it!

Again, nothing to do with being against them, I'm just aware that no medical professional will have any sort of success in getting within 5 feet of me with a needle unless there are people to hold me down. That kind of tension, I'm told, doesn't help it work :o I scream, I thrash, I spit, I bite and will kick or lash out if I'm able. I really can't control it!

What if you need stitches?

• Advertisement

What if you need stitches?

I've never had any, so I honestly don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's behind you and you can't see it or feel it.

I'd seek some counselling or treatment for that though. Sounds rough.

I've never had any, so I honestly don't know.

I think just go in and see how it goes, if the pain is so bad you can't cope I bet the needle fear will go out the window! No one will force you to have any pain relief you don't want! The gas and air is great and concentrating on your breathing.

pwurple wrote: »
    It's behind you and you can't see it or feel it.

I'd seek some counselling or treatment for that though. Sounds rough.

I have done, funnily enough. It's irrational, not brought on by past experiences or anything. There's no obvious trigger or a specific part of it that sets me off, and it makes no sense given I've had my lip pierced four times and have a footlong tattoo :pac:

I think just go in and see how it goes, if the pain is so bad you can't cope I bet the needle fear will go out the window! No one will force you to have any pain relief you don't want! The gas and air is great and concentrating on your breathing.

If things were very bad I'd be happy to let them try, don't get me wrong! I just know how I can get and it can be very frustrating and even upsetting for the person trying to do it :( I just wouldn't like to get someone who tried to push me towards getting it to make things easier for themselves rather than me, and make a joke of my fear or not take it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

ShaSha, hopefully you won't need the induction but if you do you could be fine with just gas and air. It is very intense and at the end I was thinking of getting it but the consultant said if I wanted his advice he'd go without it(easy for him to say!!). The only thing was that it looked like I might need a c-section at one stage and if I did it would have been general anaesthetic and both myself and my husband would have missed seeing our little girl arriving. Obviously if that needed to be done for my baby to arrive safely I would have had to deal with it. Vacuum delivery of an 8lb 2oz, big noggin baby with no epidural was not fun though :D Hopefully if you need stitches the adrenalin after delivery and your gorgeous little girl will be enough to distract you from the needle. I barely remember getting mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Shashabear I was in so much pain when I got my epidural I actually don't remember getting it?! I remember signing the sheet and getting more more contractions, then boom it was being in pain free heaven!

I was 8cm getting epi so was in serious pain and had to be held by midwife and my partner to keep still.. I think if you get it at a late stage then u will be in too much pain to care! If I had if got it at say 4cm or so then I would have been a lot more aware of it! The pains only really got bad at 8cm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Okay, so just preparing myself here - I'm registered with the MLU and am a week overdue tomorrow. Obviously I could still go naturally before induction is started (Wednesday night) but since I have to be transferred out of the MLU and over to the other side for induction, birth and aftercare, I was hoping to get some info as to how things work. I never thought to ask and obviously I'd like to hear from mums that have given birth there rather than just take midwives at their word :o
    So, I know once I go in that night, my partner is sent home. He's already said he won't be going home, but is going to stay in the canteen of the hospital and read or whatever if allowed (this is our first baby :o ). But what happens when I go into labour? How "far along" do I have to be for him to be called back?
    I absolutely do not want an epidural under any circumstances whatsoever, but obviously will accept a c-sect if it is necessary. Would the staff that side be likely to push an epidural? If I needed a c-sect, how would I be anaesthetised? Do I have any rights with how this would be done, ie requesting one form of anaesthesia over another?
    Is there a waiting room in the ward area for families?
    How soon after birth (assuming it occurs outside visiting hours) would my partner have to leave me? (again, he has no intentions of going further than the car park :o ). If I do give birth outside visiting hours, would immediate family be allowed to see me and the baby in the labour room, or would they have to wait?

I was not with Mlu, but consultant led care in Cavan General. I found every aspect of the care in there fantastic, I have been in the hospital for different reasons on quite a few occasions and i can not fault any of them.

I was induced, due to high bp and suspected pre eclampsia, given gel at night time, my partner was then told to go home,as nothing would be happening for a while. The next morning they were breaking my waters so i rang my partner to come back in.
    I would advise your partner to go home and get some rest if I was you, or even go to a bed and breakfast beside the hospital if your house is far away, the day of the birth is going to be nearly as draining on him as it is on you and he's going to need his strength for driving home etc.

They will not insist on you getting an epidural at all, but i had to get to get Oxytocin and I was then asked if I wanted the epi as the pains can come on hard and fast. I had already decided i wanted the epi so that was OK for me. If its any consulation i do not do well with needles, the thought of the epidural petrified me, but its absolutely fine. The area is numbed before they do anything.

Overall, i couldn't praise the doctors and midwives enough in Cavan general. So caring and obliging!!:)

If youve any more questions feel free to pm me x best of luck x

I was 8cm getting epi so was in serious pain and had to be held by midwife and my partner to keep still.. I think if you get it at a late stage then u will be in too much pain to care! If I had if got it at say 4cm or so then I would have been a lot more aware of it! The pains only really got bad at 8cm!

The pain is insane alright. I didn't get the epi only because they wouldn't give it to me as I ended up being hooked up to machines as baby was in distress otherwise I would of taken it. I have already told them I want it on the next one!!! Lol I think because you are so tired it makes it worse. Tbh they told me most people get it on their first. I know everyone will say every labour is different but jes that pain is a form of torture!!!

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    The pain is insane alright. I didn't get the epi only because they wouldn't give it to me as I ended up being hooked up to machines as baby was in distress otherwise I would of taken it. I have already told them I want it on the next one!!! Lol I think because you are so tired it makes it worse. Tbh they told me most people get it on their first. I know everyone will say every labour is different but jes that pain is a form of torture!!!
    It was so sore I know.. But I'm still so jealous of anyone going into labour.. I loved it so much ! The moment the baby is born is like nothing else! Can't wait to do it again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I know the sentiment is well meaning, but if someone says they're absolutely adamantly against something, it's not massively helpful to be told "well just wait until you feel the pain, you'll change your mind". It's a very real, very tangible fear for ShaSha, she doesn't need to feel that she'll have no choice but to cope with a needle phobia on top of everything.

ShaSha that's somewhere that you're partner could really help, communicating your fear of needles and your express wishes that you'd prefer not to have one. If you're scared, tense or fearful of a procedure it'll make things more difficult for you. As a first time mum it is more likely that induction will be tougher, longer and more painful, but not impossible. Is there a chance you could have a meeting with the hospital between now and Wednesday to talk about your fears with them? You've coped brilliantly well with quite a few curved balls in the last few weeks, you've got a strong resolve and there's no reason to think that won't carry over to your labour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Do you have to be transferred out of MLU because you are getting induced? I'm with mlu in Drogheda and didn't know that.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Do you have to be transferred out of MLU because you are getting induced? I'm with mlu in Drogheda and didn't know that.

You do in Cavan, not sure about Drogheda!

Thanks Jerrica. I know if someone doesnt have the same level of fear its hard for them to comprehend but my jaysus I am infinitely more terrified of the epi than I am of pushing a 9lb baby out! Im going for a second sweep tomorrow (they said I can come in again on Tuesday as a last resort as well) so Ill get to speak to one of the midwives then. Unfortunately it wont be one on the consultant ward and I wont get to speak to them until Wednesday night and my parter will be asked to leave. Hes a menace though and wouldnt let anyone bully me - once hes actually there when they try to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If you end up needing an emergency c section and you start to get nervous about epi and won't let them near you, they will just put you under general anesthetic. If they are inducing you with a drip you'll have to get a cannula in too so be prepared for that. Nobody will force you into having the epidural, they will advise when attaching a drip that when your contractions come they are harder and closer together because your body is being forced to have them basically by the syntocin and recommend an epi but nobody ever forced me into one, that was definitely my own decision!

Usually what happens is you are brought in Wednesday, if you are already a little bit dilated they might not even give you the gel but will break your waters (this is what happened on my first, I didn't need the gel at all). If you are on a ward your partner will be asked to leave so the other women can rest too, this is usually after visiting hours. I do advise that if he doesn't want to go home that he goes to a b&b or hotel to get some proper rest because he really will need it. When you are moved to a delivery suite (either from being more than 3cms, getting the epidural - they can give gas and air on the ward -, or being hooked up to the drip), and if it's outside visiting, you can get them to ring your partner (or you ring him, if you can!) to come back to you.

After baby is born, nobody will be allowed visit you in labor room, until you are up on a ward and if it's outside visiting not until then. I'm not sure there's a family waiting area in Cavan but I know there's not in the Rotunda or the Coombe and if everyone brought their family with them the place would be packed, so bear that in mind. Tell the grandparents to stay at home, usually it's quicker to phone them and let them know baby is here because your partner is not going to want to run down and tell them she is.

January wrote: »
    If you end up needing an emergency c section and you start to get nervous about epi and won't let them near you, they will just put you under general anesthetic. If they are inducing you with a drip you'll have to get a cannula in too so be prepared for that. Nobody will force you into having the epidural, they will advise when attaching a drip that when your contractions come they are harder and closer together because your body is being forced to have them basically by the syntocin and recommend an epi but nobody ever forced me into one, that was definitely my own decision!

Usually what happens is you are brought in Wednesday, if you are already a little bit dilated they might not even give you the gel but will break your waters (this is what happened on my first, I didn't need the gel at all). If you are on a ward your partner will be asked to leave so the other women can rest too, this is usually after visiting hours. I do advise that if he doesn't want to go home that he goes to a b&b or hotel to get some proper rest because he really will need it. When you are moved to a delivery suite (either from being more than 3cms, getting the epidural - they can give gas and air on the ward -, or being hooked up to the drip), and if it's outside visiting, you can get them to ring your partner (or you ring him, if you can!) to come back to you.

After baby is born, nobody will be allowed visit you in labor room, until you are up on a ward and if it's outside visiting not until then. I'm not sure there's a family waiting area in Cavan but I know there's not in the Rotunda or the Coombe and if everyone brought their family with them the place would be packed, so bear that in mind. Tell the grandparents to stay at home, usually it's quicker to phone them and let them know baby is here because your partner is not going to want to run down and tell them she is.

They did say if I was favourable for waters breaking, they would leave it until Thursday morning so my partner could be there because of how quickly it can progress after that (phew :p ).
    It's good to know the yes and no of the situation because my mother was supposed to be my other birth partner and she's finding it a bit hard to accept that if I get induced she won't even have anywhere to wait :o Not my fault or problem really since she was made aware of the possibility weeks ago, but I want to make sure I understand the rules so I can convey them properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Shasha not in Cavan but in my first induction I started being induced on Wednesday and baby didn't get here until Saturday... I would maybe encourage your partner to go home of you are *just* getting the gel if you are anywhere near the hospital because he will be tired too. Here they give it at night and you go to bed then. Personally I think having grandparents anywhere near the hospital is really a bad idea. How are they going to get updates? Is your partner going to have to leave to give updates etc? Especially as it could take a while. Will they start looking for information which could be stressful for you!

Make sure the hospital realise how strong your phobia is. Part of induction can involve a drip how will you be with a cannula etc make sure they have a plan to suit you ; especially as with induction the risk of further interventions are far more likely. Also almost everyone I know gets stitches (I think everyone to be honest) you really need to make sure that they are aware of how strongly you will react and they need to see if a backup plan maybe needed. It's only in the last few years I can cope with being near a dog without hyperventilating and crying and feeling like I'm going to die so I do understand how tough a phobia is, but especially with an induction looming you have to think about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

cyning wrote: »
    Shasha not in Cavan but in my first induction I started being induced on Wednesday and baby didn't get here until Saturday... I would maybe encourage your partner to go home of you are *just* getting the gel if you are anywhere near the hospital because he will be tired too. Here they give it at night and you go to bed then. Personally I think having grandparents anywhere near the hospital is really a bad idea. How are they going to get updates? Is your partner going to have to leave to give updates etc? Especially as it could take a while. Will they start looking for information which could be stressful for you!

Make sure the hospital realise how strong your phobia is. Part of induction can involve a drip how will you be with a cannula etc make sure they have a plan to suit you ; especially as with induction the risk of further interventions are far more likely. Also almost everyone I know gets stitches (I think everyone to be honest) you really need to make sure that they are aware of how strongly you will react and they need to see if a backup plan maybe needed. It's only in the last few years I can cope with being near a dog without hyperventilating and crying and feeling like I'm going to die so I do understand how tough a phobia is, but especially with an induction looming you have to think about it :(

I didn't get stitches on my third :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

January wrote: »
    I didn't get stitches on my third :)

I think your the first!!

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    I think your the first!!

My mother only had stitches with me, none with my brother or sister. And MIL never had any stitches at all. The midwives on the MLU all know of my fear and have been fantastic so far, hopefully if I have to be induced they will have conveyed this, but I'll make sure my partner lets them know :o

Advertisement