Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ATC recruitment with IAA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

wow, i know they were working late and all, but i wish it hadn't taken them so long to tell me no :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

swapple wrote: »
    wow, i know they were working late and all, but i wish it hadn't taken them so long to tell me no :p

Lol hard luck man, hopefully they'll be doing another student controller programme in a few months, can always try for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yamal/UCJT

Just a short note to say thank you to all those that wished me well.
    As expected I didn't get the interview here in Ireland but I did manage to secure some contract work in Germany. To those like myself that didn't reach a "high enough standard" I will say don't let it get you down too much. I remember getting these letters weekly in the early 1980's. Many of you are no doubt young men and women starting out in life and it really is maddening that because of the incompetence of others that you now find yourselves in a situation that we never imagined would come around again so soon. Get those applications in for all the training places that you can get. Thats very important. Don't just settle for a job. Get yourself trained up for a career that you will enjoy. You will be a long time there.
    Oh and well done also to those that go forward to the next stage. I wish you all the best.
    I hope my replies to PM's that I received went through. I have never used one of these message boards before.

Kindest regards OM

UCJT (no More)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Poloman wrote: »
    Hard luck to all who didnt get through also. I do feel the questions went my way and i guessed about 4 in total and got all tests finished. I got an interview on the 26th also.. if we knew how many dates the interviews are on we know how many got through. Best of luck to all who got through. Ps I did my test on the thurs.

I have been told that there are 141 interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

I heard 146 with 43 going forward to the final interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pushing tin

hey, does antone know when will the iaa be recruiting air traffic controllers?

I heard someone say around march or thereabouts but how true it is i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abadref

Harian wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll sound like a right dick by saying this, but maybe I can speak up on behalf of one or two others here.

I feel I need to remind everyone that this IS a competition. There are very few positions for a lot of applicants.

I really don't feel that it's fair to those of us who make the effort to conduct our own research into this position to have others asking their friend's dad, or whatever, about the job, then have them post all of the info online for everyone to see, including those who can't be bothered to spend a few minutes researching the position themselves. I know some of you are genuinely interested in learning more, but have a little patience; if you make it to the next stage (interviews), all of the roster info will be clearly explained to you. If you don't make it to the next stage, it won't matter either way.

I don't mean to be an as$hole but it's a little disheartening, I guess, after some of us have made the effort to carefully investigate the position before applying. It seems a little lazy to get someone else to do the research and post it online. Also, you've got to remember that a huge amount of people are reading this thread, not just the few who are regularly posting.

I guess I see this as the same as talking about the aptitude tests while they're ongoing. It's a no-no, and thankfully people stuck to that rule here (at least in the public forum). But just the same, people shouldn't share other types of info that could be of importance in later stages of recruitment.

We're not working together as a team yet guys, we're all in direct competition!

What I will say is, this job isn't a doddle. I think it's open knowledge to tell you: expect lots of unsociable hours, much night (midnight/4am onwards) and weekend work, you will be working Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and many other holidays for many years to come.

Don't think that you will get to spend these days at home with your family after working in the position for a year or two.

As I think someone else already mentioned, there are guys there 20 and 30 years who still don't get the benefit of having Christmas Day at home, though this will maybe change when some new people start out at the bottom of the ladder.

This is not the job that many people seem to think it is, and it's sad that these people may have scored well in the aptitude test, and will go on to gain entry to the training, then discover 1 or 2 years from now that they loathe the role and quit. Don't expect another hiring process any time soon!

Let's not give people like that the chance to take up a position that a few of us really want.

I hope I've supplied the general info people were wondering, without anyone needing to be more specific.

And again, my apologies, but I really felt the need to say that after watching this thread for weeks. :o

Ya you are an A$$hole.

Get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

abadref wrote: »
    Ya you are an A$$hole.

Get a life

take it youve a job then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The asshole comment is a bit harsh bit the IAA appreciate people communicating good information between each other. Everyboody is entitled to apply and give it a shot wherever they get their information. if they dont like it then its like any job and you put it down to experience. That's the way life is and nobody should be deprived of that just because individuals "really want it". They could be the very people who decide that they dont like it after 1 or 2 years from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ya you are an A$$hole.

Get a life

Personal abuse will not be tolerated. 1st Infraction Issued. Next time will result in a ban. Attack the post, not the poster.

pclancy wrote: »
    Personal abuse will not be tolerated. 1st Infraction Issued. Next time will result in a ban. Attack the post, not the poster.

My sincerest apologies but how it can be considered as personal I don't know.
    My comment was directed at his attempt of censoring the conversation for his own benifit only just because he feels that he has done more research than idiots like me.
    Fortunately he hasn't.
    And yes I do have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My sincerest apologies but how it can be considered as personal I don't know.

Calling someone an a**hole is pretty personal.

ned78 wrote: »
    Calling someone an a**hole is pretty personal.

Only if they are actually an A$$hole. And I know them. Comments on an id confidential forum are hardly personal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

abadref banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EI573

Wow, some 'interesting' personalities coming out through these posts.. :rolleyes:

I can only hope people like that are weeded out before the final stages.

Ha ha my thoughts exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

I won't say too much as people will give out but for anybody who has an interview, don't worry too much about it. The people are very nice and it's good atmosphere. All I'll say is that anything I could say about the interview would only be stating the obvious.

Best of luck.

Did you have your interview? Mine is on thursday. I reckon the people will be nice alright. I think its just a quick chat really with everyone really to see who they think are right for the final interview. I guess this includes age (ie they dont want someone 10 years from retirement they want someone long term), appearance and general behaviour of the applicant. I hope age doesnt go against me as I have seen over thirty laps of the sun.

Anyway if you had an interview I hope it went well for you.

Yeah I've done mine, just commenting on it above.

• Advertisement

EI573 wrote: »
    Wow, some 'interesting' personalities coming out through these posts.. :rolleyes:

I can only hope people like that are weeded out before the final stages.

He He. I doubt it will bother you!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

I hope that everyone had a positive interview experience. Final interview next Thursday-fingers firmly crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

Hi Jess,

Yeah, I had a good enough interview. Was a bit surprised to be asked about the IAA website since it says in the schedule that we'd be expected to know basic stuff about for the Final Interview. But, thankfully, I'd read it just not recently and I was able to answer their questions. I must have answered them well enough because I got my invite to the final interview. Can't believe it really!! What about you?

Edited because I realised that Jess got a final interview too!! WELL DONE love. :D

Hey Congrats! That's great news. I was a little surprised to be called back but not complaining! :p Did you get a security clearance form at the prelim interview?

Sure did. Thanks!! :D

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised too. I was fairly sure I didn't get through I messed up a couple of the orientation questions. How did you find them?

I seem to have missed out on the forms so will have to chase that one up before next week.

I wasn't really expecting those type of questions which in hindsight is a bit silly as they are quite relevant. The NSEW ones were fine but was definately not as fluid as I should have been on some of the TSD ones. Was trying to find the catch in the question I think rather than just taking them at face value.

Did you visit Ballygireen yet? I was asked that at the interview and said that I'd hoped to visit if successful at the prelim interview so must try and arrange a call before Thursday.

Yeah, I'm going to try to visit there this weekend, it means another trip down the N7 but sure, no harm there! :)

Yeah, I think a few people may have missed them. You had to go back into the registration room to get it after the interview. If you call them I'm sure they'll post one out to you. There's not too much information needed and they may just give you the form on the day of your final interview. But make sure you have the information with you. You'll need all the addresses you've lived at since you were born (not the exact dates, but the years) and any criminal records you may have!! If you've been a bit naughty! :D
    Oh, and any name changes or aliases! (I've always wanted an alias!! Pigdog will have to do for the time being)

The thing is, we have absolutely no idea what's going to be discussed during this interview, so there's nothing we can prepare for, except a generic interview.

Anyway, glad you got through.

(Oh, and you'll need your PPS number for the form)

That's good to know about the form, have requested a copy so hopefully that'll be all ok, thankfully don't have anything worthwhile to hide!

Hope you enjoy your visit this wknd :)

Hey guys I made the final interview as well. I'm very nervous as I would love the position!

I reckon that there wouldn't be much between the remaining candidates and it probably is a generic interview as you said as they never asked about what I did in previous jobs etc. They asked questions about the IAA in the first round to catch people out I think to see who made the effort to read the website so I'm not sure they will go into that again because the asked me loads about it! Likewise I didn't have a tour done.

Good luck to you all! :)

• Advertisement

Got one too. I knew about the fundamentals of the IAA anyway and alot about Shanwick, I wasn't going in there knowing nothing just in case even though there was no mention of this in the process spec sheet. I'd say that caught a few people out. I expected some form of further aptitude tests and I got through them well enough though not brilliantly on one or two specific ones.

I'd imagine this interview will be a lot more about you personally and walking in to the room there will be little or nothing between candidates, I agree. I'm trying not to get my hopes up on that basis, quite rightly 100% of candidates will feel they should get the job.

Anybody notice the order of the interviews being reversed? Ie the person who got the first preliminary interview is now the last final interview? Not sure if that is the case but just curious about it.

Also, does anybody have a number on those who got through to the final interview?

Best of luck for everyone in the final interview anyway.

Advertisement