Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

G-Money wrote: »
    Diamond League from Paris, Friday 7pm BBC Red Button.

Tyson Gay and Christophe Lemaitre in the 100m and Kenenisa Bekele in the 5000m.

Is this still on tv, no mention of it on BBC sport on tv planner?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone watch Michael Johnson: Survival Of The Fastest last night on Channel 4? I am just watching it now. Looks very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone watch Michael Johnson: Survival Of The Fastest last night on Channel 4? I am just watching it now. Looks very interesting.

Yep, watched it last night.

They raised some interesting points.

They seem fairly confident that there is a link between the slave trade from Africa to Jamaica and the US and both of these countries success in sprinting.

It seems that the the tough journey from Africa to the US and the subsequent treatment of slaves resulted in a natural selection process where the strongest survived.

14 of the 15 100-meter finalists at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing were descendants of slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dev123 wrote: »
    Yep, watched it last night.

They raised some interesting points.

They seem fairly confident that there is a link between the slave trade from Africa to Jamaica and the US and both of these countries success in sprinting.

It seems that the the tough journey from Africa to the US and the subsequent treatment of slaves resulted in a natural selection process where the strongest survived.

14 of the 15 100-meter finalists at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing were descendants of slaves.

Natural selection takes a long time to operate, and slaves weren't selected for their sprinting ability. Or their talent at basketball for that matter.

Anyway, athletics on tv - highlights of the national track & field championships, rte 2, 11pm, Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

RayCun wrote: »
    Natural selection takes a long time to operate, and slaves weren't selected for their sprinting ability. Or their talent at basketball for that matter.

Anyway, athletics on tv - highlights of the national track & field championships, rte 2, 11pm, Sunday.

Correct, I should have said natural selection-type process.

However, they did say that genetic changes can occur in one generation when the population is under stress.

Slaves were chosen for their physical prowess which would be of benefit in an explosive activity such as sprinting.

(Sorry for bringing the thread off topic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

tang1 wrote: »
    Is this still on tv, no mention of it on BBC sport on tv planner?

its on bbc red button ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

DL coverage just started

selsouli
    one to watch in london

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Cracking 1500m there

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

Selsouli is a cheat<edit> who should have been banned for life the first time.
    PS- She's no kick and won't win in London.

• Advertisement

she was fast -too fast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The stream I have is showing the high jump :-(

bekele well beat
    he'll be concentrating on 10k in london

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Ryan Fenton ‏@ryanflotrack
    drug cheat who just was reinstated last august just ran a world leading time & over 4 second PR, awesome. runnerup a drug cheat too #ParisDL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asl%C4%B1_%C3%87ak%C4%B1r_Alptekin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariem_Alaoui_Selsouli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

YFlyer wrote: »
    The stream I have is showing the high jump :-(

same as mine, think it was the beeb coverage I have, only got the last 3 laps of the 5k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

M cebee wrote: »
    bekele well beat
    he'll be concentrating on 10k in london

Think that was his intention all along. 12.54 is still a big improvement he is getting better with each race. Still think come London he is going to take Farah and glad he was beat tonight (prevents the bookies heavily cutting his odds:D)

ya i looked her up on wiki after the 1500 new pb by about 5sec
    like she was on skates that last lap
    Ah well she done her time

RayCun wrote: »

Are these championships on tomorrow in Morton stadium? If so, can one just arrive and gain entry?

Edit: Sat 7 Woodie’s DIY AAI Senior T&F Championships Morton Stadium
    Sun 8 Woodie’s DIY AAI Senior T&F Championships Morton Stadium

Edit: http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/aai-senior-track-timetable-3.pdf

I'm there!

ya i forgot there the 5k was fast
    bekele ran a decent time

awful lot of fast times tonite
    And gatlin aint even ran yet!

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Think that was his intention all along. 12.54 is still a big improvement he is getting better with each race. Still think come London he is going to take Farah and glad he was beat tonight (prevents the bookies heavily cutting his odds:D)
    I though the same but think it will be just the 10k for him now? they'll need to pick their team at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whogivesashlt

10 of tonights field were under Farahs world leading time including Bekele. Lay Mo me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pearson ran a great race over the hurdles.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I though the same but think it will be just the 10k for him now? they'll need to pick their team at some point.

The announcement will come this weekend according to reports. He is effectively confirmed for the 10k after last nights race only being won in 27.17 as well as Jelian dropping out

rudishas up now
    Wr attempt

ecoli wrote: »
    The announcement will come this weekend according to reports. He is effectively confirmed for the 10k after last nights race only being won in 27.17 as well as Jelian dropping out

Yep 10k for sure, but wonder what they'll do for the 5k.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep 10k for sure, but wonder what they'll do for the 5k.

Gebremeskel and Gebrhiwet are locks finishing 1st and second in both of the Trial races after that I would put it down to Merga or Alamirew with the latter probably taking the 5000m spot and Merga in the longer event

4 sec winning margin

rudishas up now
    Wr attempt

Well?

Edit: Result in another thread. Too many bloody threads on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

4 sec winning margin

simply awesome, he must be one of the most dominate athletes in any track event.

Advertisement