Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You Know? ....... Strange Facts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

PFL wrote: »
    Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!

Tipping is not customary in Iceland as gratuity is factored into bills, but they will by no means be insulted if you tip them. Worst case scenario someone might be confused as to what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ynotdu wrote: »
    ah go ask my nuts!(aka my bolix)I do declare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God you're being terribly hostile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

unreggd wrote: »
    There's no word for the back of your knee

Popliteal fossa?
    Everyday word, you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word in the Englsih language other than technical words like the name of chemicals. It describes the political movement who oppose the separation of church and State.

Also the word hat-trick comes from cricket. When a bowler knocks out(?) three bat guys in a row he used to get a hat so it was known as the hat-trick.

*Is it obvious I know nothing about cricket? :D*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Zillah wrote: »
    Tipping is not customary in Iceland as gratuity is factored into bills, but they will by no means be insulted if you tip them. Worst case scenario someone might be confused as to what you're doing.

Apparently it's the same in Japan, a friend of mine was over there recently and, as you do, left a tip after dinner. They were subsequently chased down outside the restaurant because the waitress thought they had forgotten their money.

r14 wrote: »
    Antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word in the Englsih language other than technical words like the name of chemicals. It describes the political movement who oppose the separation of church and State.

Nope, you'll find it's Floccinaucinihilipilification...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nope, you'll find it's Floccinaucinihilipilification...

Nope that one is coined - not a real word like antidisestab......

I'm talking about the undisputed champion of the word

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." uses every letter of the alphabet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

sub-x wrote: »
    Dogs can't look up.

Not true.

• Advertisement

r14 wrote: »
    Nope that one is coined - not a real word like antidisestab......

I'm talking about the undisputed champion of the word

Didn't you read the link?

The longest non-coined word is Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.

The longest non-technical word is Floccinaucinihilipilification.

The oceans contain enough salt to cover all the continents to a depth of nearly 500 feet

A man’s testicles manufacture 10 million new sperm cells each day - enough that he could repopulate the entire planet in only 6 months!

Human bone is as strong as granite in supporting weight. A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support 9 tonnes - that is four times as much as concrete can support.

A foreskin, the size of a postage stamp, from circumcised babies take only 21 days to grow skin that can cover three (3) basketball courts. Amazing isn’t it. Thanks to science. The laboratory-grown skin is used in treating burn patients.

Hogzy wrote: »
    A foreskin, the size of a postage stamp, from circumcised babies take only 21 days to grow skin that can cover three (3) basketball courts. Amazing isn’t it. Thanks to science. The laboratory-grown skin is used in treating burn patients.

Where can we get this enormous baby foreskin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Snails can sleep for up to 3 years at a time. Now for ya. Mentioned that one day in biology, they'll never think of me the same again......:( Also, frogs have no ribs. Why is it that most of these here interesting facts relate to animals?:confused:

Where can we get this enormous baby foreskin?

Im sure i can send you mine if your willing to pay postage, i was fairly big as a child.

Im sure i can send you mine if your willing to pay postage, i was fairly big as a child.

If it's still attached to you it's no longer a child's foreskin though...

And if you've just kept onto an old one no dice either - it has to be fresh...

If it's still attached to you it's no longer a child's foreskin though...
    :eek: im worried
    And if you've just kept onto an old one no dice either - it has to be fresh...
    :(

its 22yrs old, vaccum packed and still pink:pac: Ill send it registered!!!!

its 22yrs old, vaccum packed and still pink:pac: Ill send it registered!!!!

I'd prefer to collect it :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At the end of the tax year, the Tax Office sent an inspector to audit the books of a synagogue. While he was checking the books he turned to the Rabbi and said, "I notice you buy a lot of candles. What do you do with the candle drippings?"

"Good question," noted the Rabbi. "We save them up and send them back to the candle makers, and every now and then they send us a free box of candles."

"Oh," replied the auditor, somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer.

But on he went, in his obnoxious way. "What about all these biscuit purchases. What do you do with the crumbs?"

"Ah, yes," replied the Rabbi, realizing that the inspector was trying to trap him with an unanswerable question. "We collect them and send them back to the manufacturers, and every now and then they send a free box of holy biscuits."

"I see," replied the auditor, thinking hard about how he could fluster the know-it-all Rabbi.

"Well, Rabbi," he went on, "what do you do with all the leftover foreskins from the circumcisions you perform?"

"Here, too, we do not waste," answered the Rabbi. "What we do is save up all the foreskins and send them to the Tax Office, and about once a year they send us a complete dick."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

BVB wrote: »
    The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side (i.e. the first 8 moves in total) in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000

How did you arrive at that figure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

God you're being terribly hostile...

been taking lessons from Roy;)......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

dont surgeons save up foreskins&when they have enough have them turned into wallets?

when travelling they rub the wallet until it becomes a suitcase:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

The typical lead pencil can draw a line that is thirty five miles long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

when a taxi stops in the middle of a busy road to pick up a fare ,the second it turns on its hazard lights it goes invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

you can't lick your elbow...............and yes, I have tryed:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Didn't you read the link?

The longest non-coined word is Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.

The longest non-technical word is Floccinaucinihilipilification.

Thought it was Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Is it bad that I can spell that without reference?

liah wrote: »
    Thought it was Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Is it bad that I can spell that without reference?

Wikipedia has Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis down as the "Longest word in a major dictionary" with the disputes to its claims to be the longest word in English centred around the fact that it is a technical word and that it was coined to be the longest word in the language...

Paul is the longest word , there is an AU between the first and last letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

O'Coonassa wrote: »

That makes alot more sense. Looks like my Physics teacher was wrong then :rolleyes:

Regardless it's still undetermined, but it is to be considered a solid within everyday life.
    There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter that is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic. In terms of its material properties we can do little better. There is no clear definition of the distinction between solids and highly viscous liquids. All such phases or states of matter are idealisations of real material properties. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to everyday experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true. The observed features are more easily explained as a result of the imperfect methods used to make glass window panes before the float glass process was invented.
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ireland's most successful filmmaker was a guy called Rex Ingram.
    Totally forgotten now because no-one watches silent movies.

Advertisement