Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You Know? ....... Strange Facts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Caoimhín wrote: »
    But not chocolate, it is toxic to dogs and even a small amount can kill a poor scooby.

It's toxic to every animal, including us. But we have a much, much higher threshold to it than most animals, so the amounts we eat don't kill us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

The movie 'As Good as It Gets' was translated as 'Mr. Cat Poop' in Hong Kong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BVB wrote: »
    in alaska it's illegal to throw a moose out of a plane!

I'd imagine that's illegal pretty much everywhere dude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's illegal pretty much everywhere dude...

Its supposed to be stated in their law

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

you can't fold anything in half more than 7 times. Try it with paper, toilet paper etc and you'll see!

Proteins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

you can't fold anything in half more than 7 times. Try it with paper, toilet paper etc and you'll see!

You can't fold any paper more than seven times, with the exception of silver paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

The phrase "A turkey" from 10 pin bowling originates from England in the 18th century, where if you got 3 strikes in a row, you won a turkey.

In films dealing with gangster culture you often see a pair of shoes hanging from an overhead electric wire, they are there to show one drug dealer/gang's teritory from another.

Brazil the country was named after Brazil nuts, not the other way round.

In England drinks in pubs were measured in pints and quarters, when punters began to get drunk and rowdy the landlord would shout at them to mind their pints and quarters, which in modern times has been shortened to "mind your p's and q's"

I love this shít.

More as and when I remember them!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

DanR wrote: »
    I thought that was pigs...? :confused:

No pigs can swim,but if they do they slit thier throats with their trotters!..

You can't fold any paper more than seven times, with the exception of silver paper.

mythbusters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAEBbotuIE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Your Poo is tapered at the end so that ur ar.se doesnt bang shut when your on the John......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

The only team in the English football league that does not contain a letter with an enclosed space (ie q,e,r,o,g,p,a,d,b) is...... Hull City.

Now you know.

Also, about the chocolate, every chemical is harmful to the human body if present in a large enough dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

www.symbolics.com was the first domain name ever registered. You'd think in 24 years they'd have time to come up with something a little better than this.

David Schmidt Dir. of Sales & Maintenance Operations along with head if I.T. at Symbolics Inc died in a camel baiting incident in Tunisia in the early part of 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

There's no word for the back of your knee

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

It is Legal to throw the president of the U.S.A from Airforce one if you are a secret service agent!and Prez is in a safety pod!

courtesy of Airforce one(the movie)
    :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Im more worried about who ever found out that you can get milk from a cow and who's idea was it to drink it

Probably a pretty clever person after seeing that calves did it and how they thrived on it.

The term "Mayday" used for signaling for help comes from the French term "M'aidez" which is pronounced "MayDay" and means "help me".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Birdie086 wrote: »
    the european country that exports the most bananas is ireland

When did we start growing bananas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

weemcd wrote: »
    Brazil the country was named after Brazil nuts, not the other way round

And now we're onto the mystery of what the nuts were named after...

keane2097 wrote: »
    And now we're onto the mystery of what the nuts were named after...

Keane would ya stop talking a load of bolix!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Flecktarn wrote: »
    When did we start growing bananas?
    We import them and re-export them often via a process known as "triangulation" ie they enter the port and are cleared for import and are then re-exported to a third port with ever having been unloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Here's a few more - strangefacts.com

In Tokyo, a bicycle is faster than a car for most trips of less than 50 minutes!

There are 18 different animal shapes in the Animal Crackers cookie zoo!

Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second!

The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card!

There is one slot machine in Las Vegas for every eight inhabitants!

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!

The most popular first name in the world is Muhammad!

Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating!

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!

One car out of every 230 made was stolen last year!

The names of Popeye's four nephews are Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, and Poopeye!

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill!

Almost half the newspapers in the world are published in the United States and Canada!

Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people!

There are more than 10 million bricks in the Empire State Building!

If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion!

Taphephobia is the fear of being buried alive!

A crocodile always grows new teeth to replace the old teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Yeah but chicks go nuts for that kind of thing.

Yes, Tis true....i for one am crushing on a dude that does quirky intelligence cos im a wench for doing it myself;)

ynotdu wrote: »
    Keane would ya stop talking a load of bolix!:D

Harsh, but I guess you're not the first person to express similar dissatisfaction...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055553211

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Famous45 wrote: »
    This is a fact -- you won't kill yourself by holding your own breathe.
    Dolphins can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

12 times with Britney
    http://www.pomonahistorical.org/12times.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When chimpanzees smile they show their bottom row of teeth, showing your top row of teeth like in a human smile means aggression.

The stone age didn't end because they ran out of stone.

PFL wrote: »
    Here's a few more - strangefacts.com

In Tokyo, a bicycle is faster than a car for most trips of less than 50 minutes!

There are 18 different animal shapes in the Animal Crackers cookie zoo!

Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second!

The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card!

There is one slot machine in Las Vegas for every eight inhabitants!

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!

The most popular first name in the world is Muhammad!

Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating!

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!

One car out of every 230 made was stolen last year!

The names of Popeye's four nephews are Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, and Poopeye!

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill!

Almost half the newspapers in the world are published in the United States and Canada!

Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people!

There are more than 10 million bricks in the Empire State Building!

If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion!

Taphephobia is the fear of being buried alive!

A crocodile always grows new teeth to replace the old teeth!

The exclamation mark is the most misused form of punctuation in the English language!

I stuck an extra one in there...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Harsh, but I guess you're not the first person to express similar dissatisfaction...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055553211

ah go ask my nuts!(aka my bolix)I do declare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

The other kind of mermaid is more fun.

Advertisement