Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

HOW MUCH/WHAT DO I GIVE AS A WEDDING PRESENT? READ POST#1 FIRST

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Art, or something along those lines? A nice picture of the whole family, framed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Nice suggestion, thanks Faith, only thing is neither would be into art, and we wouldn't have a picture of the whole family to frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'm best man at my bros wedding and literally have no idea what I should be giving. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ismiseX

I've another tricky one. Going to boyfriends aunts wedding. They are both getting married for the second time and have lived together for years so have all the house stuff. She is in her fifties and he is in sixties. I know it's really my boyfriends problem because it's his aunt but he tends not to think about these things! Just usual 150 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

I've just gotten married. Presents varied.
    Some people gave crystal glasses, coffee machine(which we love) frames and paintings.
    Most people gave 100-150 (a lot more 100)
    Some close relatives gave 200
    Brothers and sisters and bridal party 300
    Parents a lot lot more.
    10 couples that's 20 people gave nothing,not even a card. I understand some people are stretched for cash but it's €1 for a card.
    I give €200 for a close friend or cousin
    €300 sibling or if I'm bridesmaid
    €150 for everyone else.
    Afters generally 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

I've just gotten married. Presents varied.
    Some people gave crystal glasses, coffee machine(which we love) frames and paintings.
    Most people gave 100-150 (a lot more 100)
    Some close relatives gave 200
    Brothers and sisters and bridal party 300
    Parents a lot lot more.
    10 couples that's 20 people gave nothing,not even a card. I understand some people are stretched for cash but it's €1 for a card.
    I give €200 for a close friend or cousin
    €300 sibling or if I'm bridesmaid
    €150 for everyone else.
    Afters generally 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Got a close friends wedding coming up, should I give cash or maybe get them a voucher for a department store so they can get stuff they need for the house? And any suggestions on a good place to get it from up North? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Flying over to England next week - only bringing hand luggage with me and want to bring over a wedding gift.

Would spend upto a €100 for a gift. The real problem is that the couple are damn unusual.
    He is the personification of nerd, seriously. And the bride is Native American (who is also nearly blind). I'd like to pick up something Irish, I was thinking something tactile would be pretty good. Went searching through shops and could find naught.

The Newbridge Silver cutlery is gorgeous - but is just too heavy for carry-on luggage.

I thinking of waiting now, and seeing can I get something in Dublin Airport.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in Leinster, wouldn't find driving somewhere for something.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,898 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are they drinkers? Would some sort of super fancy Irish Whiskey be an option? You'd definitely get that in the airport.

Toots wrote: »
    Are they drinkers? Would some sort of super fancy Irish Whiskey be an option? You'd definitely get that in the airport.

No not drinkers. It is very rare for him to drink anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

How about a woolen blanket from avoca or cushendale?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shadowcat

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Flying over to England next week - only bringing hand luggage with me and want to bring over a wedding gift.

Would spend upto a €100 for a gift. The real problem is that the couple are damn unusual.
    He is the personification of nerd, seriously. And the bride is Native American (who is also nearly blind). I'd like to pick up something Irish, I was thinking something tactile would be pretty good. Went searching through shops and could find naught.

The Newbridge Silver cutlery is gorgeous - but is just too heavy for carry-on luggage.

I thinking of waiting now, and seeing can I get something in Dublin Airport.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in Leinster, wouldn't find driving somewhere for something.

What about Wild Geese studio art (sorry can't post link!)? I'm not affiliated with them at all, but seen some of their stuff and it looks really nice. Price usually in the 40-60E from what I've seen so in budget, plus it would make a nice Irish keepsake thing for after the day?

shadowcat wrote: »
    What about Wild Geese studio art (sorry can't post link!)? I'm not affiliated with them at all, but seen some of their stuff and it looks really nice. Price usually in the 40-60E from what I've seen so in budget, plus it would make a nice Irish keepsake thing for after the day?

That is exactly what I got. I picked up a couple of really nice pretty bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

shadowcat wrote: »

I have a couple of Wild Geese bits my husband bought me when we were courting. They're beautiful and I think just that little bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Hi advice please, was invited to a wedding by a girl from work who I wouldn't be very close to I can't go as have a family function, I was going to give her a card and a small gift. Is this ok? I didn't invite her to my wedding and she (quite rightly!) didn't give me a gift or a card so my friend said I should just give her a card not a gift bit I feel it's different as she invited me?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I have been invited to a wedding that we can't attend. I would like to give them something but don't know what's appropriate.

When we attend weddings we give a card and €200 but obviously this is different.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

turniphead wrote: »
    Hi there,

My girlfriend and I have been invited to a wedding that we can't attend. I would like to give them something but don't know what's appropriate.

When we attend weddings we give a card and €200 but obviously this is different.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Depends on your relationship to the couple. If it was a close friend, I'd give the same gift I would give if I was going. If it's a work colleague, an acquaintance, or someone I used be great friend with but haven't seen since college, or whatever, I'd probably give a voucher for a meal, or a one for all voucher for €50 or €60

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad I found this thread rather than making an ass of myself with a new thread :)

So we are going to a wedding, it's a friend of the oh.

Gift wise oh was thinking of getting either a set of cutlery or tableware. The couple have been living together, and she has a six year old, so I'd imagine they have most household stuff

I was going to suggest a voucher for a place they go for the odd family dinner, as it would definitely be used and cash or a one for all voucher for 100

What do you guys think?

They've said not to worrry about a present but I just couldn't go to a wedding and not give a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

Stheno wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread rather than making an ass of myself with a new thread :)

So we are going to a wedding, it's a friend of the oh.

Gift wise oh was thinking of getting either a set of cutlery or tableware. The couple have been living together, and she has a six year old, so I'd imagine they have most household stuff

I was going to suggest a voucher for a place they go for the odd family dinner, as it would definitely be used and cash or a one for all voucher for 100

What do you guys think?

They've said not to worrry about a present but I just couldn't go to a wedding and not give a gift

We really appreciated the restaurant/ hotel vouchers we got. Was great for a nice treat to look forward to after the buzz of the wedding.

Personally as they've been living together for a while I'd stear clear of household gifts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MarieOC wrote: »
    We really appreciated the restaurant/ hotel vouchers we got. Was great for a nice treat to look forward to after the buzz of the wedding.

Personally as they've been living together for a while I'd stear clear of household gifts.

That's what I was thinking, it would be nice to give them something they'll enjoy as a family and then some cash

Oh and I haven't been to weddings in years lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some of our favourite presents were nice pottery. Things you wouldnt necessarily buy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

fits wrote: »
    Some of our favourite presents were nice pottery. Things you wouldnt necessarily buy yourself.

And beautiful crystal. I bought a cabinet to display it all in as I got sick of looking at the boxes!

fits wrote: »
    And beautiful crystal. I bought a cabinet to display it all in as I got sick of looking at the boxes!

You are both bringing me back now, when I got married in 1999, I had a wedding list which included Crystal wineglasses, and an entire set of Denby delph including a salt and pepper set.

We split the list so everything could be bought in one or multiples, so the cheapest thing would have been about €15 and people could add to it.

We'd a friend at the time who wasn't very well off and tragically was diagnosed with and died of cancer shortly after.

I still have the salt and pepper set they bought, and cherish it in their memory.

I chatted to OH about this today and he's on for the restaurant voucher.

He's going to chat to the grooms dad tomorrow to see if they might like cash or a nice dinner set :)

Thanks to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Dinner voucher would be lovely. Just not one for all vouchers as they are such a scam and often forgotten about until you go to use them and One 4 All have started deducting from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

pooch90 wrote: »
    Dinner voucher would be lovely. Just not one for all vouchers as they are such a scam and often forgotten about until you go to use them and One 4 All have started deducting from them.

Whaaaat! I didn't know they did that! Now that said, I never have them long enough Anyhow! I love one for all vouchers, but that's because I always have a list of things I could do with buying!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Whaaaat! I didn't know they did that! Now that said, I never have them long enough Anyhow! I love one for all vouchers, but that's because I always have a list of things I could do with buying!
    Actually that's true, I got one from work as a bonus, and if you didn't use it in a certain time, it was charged admin fees or some such.

We'll just bung in some cash instead

jlm29 wrote: »

12 months after they are issued they start taking about €1.50 off the balance per month. Then they can deactivate the card too,if you want them to reactivate the card, they charge you €5!!! Disgusting system. Always check in he date of issue online and put a sticker on it with balance recorded.

12 months after they are issued they start taking about €1.50 off the balance per month. Then they can deactivate the card too,if you want them to reactivate the card, they charge you €5!!! Disgusting system. Always check in he date of issue online and put a sticker on it with balance recorded.

In fairness most people would have them spent within a year as they are so widely accepted :)

Not me, I get them as presents and then they get lost.
    Illegal to have an expiry date on a voucher so this is a nasty little loophole.

• Advertisement

Not me, I get them as presents and then they get lost.
    Illegal to have an expiry date on a voucher so this is a nasty little loophole.

Not yet it's not, that's coming in this year though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement