Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What didn't you need for your baby?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I've used millions of muslins. Still use them for my 2 year old for cleaning up after dinner. We use one per day.
    Angel care monitor - was used up to 6 or 8 months here.
    Video monitor - brilliant once your baby/toddler is climbing around the cot. You can keep an eye on what they're doing without disturbing them. Couldn't live without this tbh.
    Baby Bath - my 2 year old still uses this. Much quicker (and cheaper) than filling the big bath, and she is more than happy to sit in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Never bothered with a changing table.

Chances are it will be upstairs and you will spend most of the day downstairs with junior. Are you really going to go up every time you've a nappy change

Bought a sling and never used it. Then bought a child carrier when he was older and used it once. Our kids were just too heavy to be humping around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am reading down through this..

I have 4 babies,3 with reflux. I found I used different things with each of them.
    1 never drooled and had about 2 bibs,another needed 4 at a time!

My son was very long and baby gros never fitted him.
    I use gro bags now because they keep reflux baby dry.

I never used sudocrem or vaseline and bepanthen was useless but got them in presents.
    I never used baby shoes either until they started crawling the put shoebees.

I love my changing table,I put the 1 year old in the baby bath in the bath when I am trying to have a shower,I could never have survived with out slings,we use muslins clothes by the dozen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mink wrote: »
    Didn't need the following;

Baby toiletries
    Those net things that you put fruit into and they suck on them
    Teething rings (everything else was used)
    Shoes for non-walkers

Couldn't live without (and a lot was 2nd hand);

Baby monitor with temp reading
    Changing table
    Sleeping bags
    Truck loads of bibs
    Baby bath with foam insert
    Door bouncer
    Sophie the giraffe
    Dodies

Those nets are awesome for making "ice pops" for teething. i used to freeze fruit or banana in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Those nets are awesome for making "ice pops" for teething. i used to freeze fruit or banana in them.

We LOVED those things.., the plastic one not the net one. I used to semi freeze grapes and strawberries and let him suck on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I only used moses basket for 6 weeks with no 1 and about 4 weeks for no 2. It was bought for us as a gift.
    I use loads of muslins
    I cant get enough bibs he dribbles thar much. No 1 needes them but not as much as no 2.
    I had a loan on a changing table with baby bath
    . When no 1 started splashing alot we just out baby bath in big bath until about 6 months. No 2 only used baby bath for about 6 weeks then was in big bath on a reclined seat with no 2.
    Love my slings but needing a buggy alot more lately due to medical issues (sold my damn double months ago but had to buy one again)
    Love camera monitor for when they are mooching around alot.
    love the peace of mind the angel care monitor gives.
    used high chair with no 1 until she was 1 then switched to booster seat that attaches to chair. No 2 hated high chair so bought a second booster seat for him.
    Bouncer was a gift and both used it for morning maps for first few months.
    I think i used pretty much everything except a breast pump that came with my tommee tippee starter set as i ended up not breast feeding.
    We actually just bought the basics and added to them as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have 4 babies,3 with reflux.

WOW

Statistically, that's really rare. It's just 8% for a baby to have reflux, 0.00512% to have three babies with reflux.

Are you sure it was reflux? It's a very serious condition. Some think a baby spitting up formula as a result of overfeeding is reflux, but it's actually an opening of the valve in the oesophagus due to abnormalities. It's unheard of in breastfed babies too.

Never bothered with a changing table.

Chances are it will be upstairs and you will spend most of the day downstairs with junior. Are you really going to go up every time you've a nappy change

Bought a sling and never used it. Then bought a child carrier when he was older and used it once. Our kids were just too heavy to be humping around.

Most kids need a change in the morning and before going to bed, so upstairs is just where you need a changing table.

"too heavy to be humping around"? How heavy are we talking? I live by this rule: if they are too heavy to carry, they walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Jolliever wrote: »
    WOW

Statistically, that's really rare. It's just 8% for a baby to have reflux, 0.00512% to have three babies with reflux.

Are you sure it was reflux? It's a very serious condition. Some think a baby spitting up formula as a result of overfeeding is reflux, but it's actually an opening of the valve in the oesophagus due to abnormalities. It's unheard of in breastfed babies too.

Oh really? Where are those statistics from? And where did you pull that it's unheard of in breastfed babies? I have an 8 month old who had never had formula, didn't start solids until 6 months who has reflux disease. She's on her 5 th hospital admission as of tonight. She's had pneumonia quite likely from aspiration at 4 weeks old. She's dropped down the centile charts. She has had reflux confirmed by barium. Quite frankly you have no clue what you are talking about. Reflux is horrendous: and you have no right at all to tell another parent that their child didn't have reflux. None at all. You don't know what they've experienced unless you were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's unheard of in breastfed babies too.

Nonsense.

It's due to an under developed digestive system.
    It has nothing to do with being breast or bottle fed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

WOW

Your statistics don't even make mathematical sense.

Also, reflux is not necessarily a very serious condition. Some babies have mild reflux that disappears early on and doesn't cause serious pain or damage; it can be very severe in other cases. It's the result of the muscles between the oesophagus and sphincter being not fully developed - it goes away when the baby gets older and the muscles get strong enough. This is the case whether the baby is breastfed or not.

Most kids need a change in the morning and before going to bed, so upstairs is just where you need a changing table.

Yes, most babies need a change in the morning and at bedtime ... And most babies also need several nappy changes in between, too. The majority of changes are likely to take place during the day, so it's logical for many people to have the changing table downstairs (if space permits.) It's very easy to change a nappy on a bed upstairs with a towel or mat thrown down; there are less likely to be such ideal surfaces downstairs, so it's usually a choice between changing them on the floor or carrying them upstairs every single time - neither option is easy on the parent's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My babies reflux became obvious while she was still breastfed. My cousins child has quite bad reflux, he is breastfed. A friend of mines baby has reflux. She was breastfed. Hardly unheard of! It's a bloody curse of a thing.

As for the changing table. We still use ours even though she's quite big. Have tried changing her on beds, floor etc and found all of those options much harder on our backs. Plus, she can try to escape the much dreaded bum change a lot easier. She detests getting her nappy done! So for many on this thread it was unnecessary but for us it was essential.

We got most of our big ticket items from friends who were finished having kids so they passed on what they thought was essential and to be honest we used pretty much everything except a sleep positioner. My only query with the stuff we got ourselves was how necessary the bugaboo was. It's a brilliant buggy, don't get me wrong but I hardly used it. I tended to use my ergo carrier. My husband does use it when he's out with her though. Maybe I'll use it more when she starts resisting front carry. Can never manage a back carry solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Just reading through all of these posts and laughing to myself, as I had this conversation with someone the other day. She's pregnant on her first, and was asking me what she needed etc. I said it doesn't matter what I tell you that you need / don't need, because you're gona get it all anyway! I got all the cr*p, and it's only now I'm thinking, God I really fell for all the fads! When I have another, I Defo won't be getting half the stuff I got.
    Even my hospital bag was just full of rubbish I never used! Next time around, a few pairs of pants and pjs, none of this arnica cream business

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

This thread just goes to show that every baby & family is different!

Our video monitor is brilliant, couldn't live without it. Possibly because ds is a bad sleeper and because of the layout of our house I wouldn't hear him if I was in the kitchen and he was in his room.

Loved the hooded towels, so cosy after a bath.

I could never have enough muslins. Must have 20 and could use 20 more! Baba spits up a lot so that's probably why.

I thought the breastfeeding pillow was a complete waste, just never needed if, found it too awkward to use.

Swaddle blankets were a complete waste of time, Ds hated being swaddled and to be honest I thought it was easier to just use a cellular blanket for it anyway.

Blankets!! We got so many. You only need two or 3, especially if you use a sleeping bag, we must have got 10 or 12 as presents.

The wrong clothes for seasons is a pain too. My pet hate is people who don't give gift receipts cos then you're stuck with the clothes, it's such a waste of peoples money.

Little suit outfits - shirts and ties and things. Rubbish for babies. More babygros is a much better idea.

Keepsake boxes, we got 4, they'll never be used.

Oh I thought of another one. Sheets for the moses basket / pram. Pillowcases are the perfect size, buy a few in colours that match your bedclothes, and at least they'll be used for ages - not just for those first couple of months.

Teething toys - not something we bought ourselves, but were given plenty as presents. He's just never been interested in chewing on them. (Of course, essential for some babies/toddlers, but best to see if your child is a "chewer" before you waste money on them!)

When I was pregnant, I knew I'd need a thermometer for the baby, and I decided to save money by buying a normal digital underarm thermometer, instead of one of the ear ones that read temperature instantly. After his first suspected temperature, I went straight to Boots for the Braun digital ear thermometer. It was an absolute nightmare trying to hold a squirming screaming baby still, forcing him to hold his arm down, for long enough to read a temperature. I would highly recommend buying the digital ear thermometer from the start. (I have read somewhere that they're actually not quite as accurate as the underarm thermometers, for a small baby, but I wouldn't trust the underarm readings anyways when baby is fighting and screaming to get away from it. They use the ear thermometers in the hospital and at the GPs, so that's good enough for me!)

A nappy bag. I'm sure many won't agree with me there, as some would say they're essential! I got one, but really, I'd have been better investing in a really nice decent-sized handbag with plenty of compartments. to use for both his stuff and mine. The only difference is that the nappy bag will usually have a couple of special lined pockets to keep food/drinks warm or cold - we never used these, it was handier to bring a sterilised bottle and a carton of ready-made formula. Anyways you can always use a little thermos pouch if necessary.

A bottle-warmer ... I don't see the point of these really! You can make up the bottles as you go along, or you can heat in a bowl of hot water, or you can use the microwave. Or if anything I'd invest in the Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine instead; however we didn't bother with it and got on fine without it.

We got far too many nice soft cosy baby blankets as presents. It's nice to have one or two nice ones, for out in the buggy etc, but I'd never use them in his cot - always cellular blankets, then sleeping bags. It just seemed a bit of a waste to have so many that were rarely used! Even in the buggy, we have a big warm footmuff, so we don't even use them often in that.

A special mini blender is one present still in it's box unused. I never really bothered with purees, but if I did, I just used a normal hand-blender. If I was going to bother pureeing at all, better to do it in big batches. Actually I bought quite a few mini-lunchboxes and icecube trays for all the batch cooking and freezing I was planning on doing, waste of money for me as I didn't really bother in the end, but essential for many parents!

We can't have enough muslin cloths and bibs in this house - especially bibs. Still though, even having said that, I wouldn't buy more than a couple of them for the next baby - no guarantee they would be as messy and pukey as the one we have now!

I think the key is to do all the research possible into all the products available, but buy very little. At least then, when you DO end up needing something, you'll have your research done and know what product you want and where to buy it!

lollpop wrote: »
    The wrong clothes for seasons is a pain too. My pet hate is people who don't give gift receipts cos then you're stuck with the clothes, it's such a waste of peoples money.

Yeah definitely. In summer, we were given a little shorts and Tshirt outfit that only would fit him now. It was bought in what I would think was quite an expensive boutique store, in a different part of the country where we'd never visit. There would also be plenty of chain stores - Next, Mothercare, etc - in the same town, I wish the person had bought something there instead, at least then I could have swapped for the same outfit in a size that might fit him next summer. I just feel guilty having the cute - probably quite expensive - outfit, still with the tags on, that he'll never wear.

In hindsight, I'm thinking though of the kind of stuff I used to buy friends' babies before mine was born - glittery Converse, an adorable sparkling little tutu for a newborn, a little bowtie and braces for a baby boy. :o In hindsight the parents probably hated that stuff! In fairness I'd probably have bought babygros etc along with those things. I think in future I'd just give vouchers, or else ask what's needed. People say you can't have enough vests and babygros, but actually, while we were occasionally short on babygros, we were given FAR too many vests than we could ever use, and plenty of them he outgrew before they were ever worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

WOW

Bull. I know loads of babies who've been properly diagnosed with reflux. And most were breastfed. It is a complete myth and very stressful to be told because you're breastfeeding your baby doesn't have reflux. I was lucky with mine but friends have had reflux on multiple babies.

WOW

Yes,diagnosed reflux and no breastfed babies can get it too.
    They also had in 1 case cows milk allergy and in another lactose intolerance which did not help.
    The smaller one is fine now once treated and the older one grew out of it long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Didn't need so far
    - outdoor all in one suit for 0-3 mths. Never wore it. Enough with warm cardi and warm blanket for pram / car..
    - outfits for newborns. Only worn so as to show those who bought them. Baby gros much handier/comfier
    -been loaned slings but can't manage on my own!
    - Thermoter for bath. Elbow test enough.
    - hooded towels. Any towel would do.
    -moses basket. Baby hated it from day one.

Handy:
    - bottle starter kit. Planned to breastfeed, still do but supplemented early on. Handy to have there.
    -Breastfeeding pillow
    - Isofix base

Essential:
    - muslin sheets
    - playmat/bouncy chair for babs to entertain himself if only for short periods
    - baby sound monitor
    - car mirror for car seat
    - changing table (one that doubles as chest of drawers very handy!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It's unheard of in breastfed babies too.

Our fella was breastfed and was diagnosed with reflux. It was part of the reason we ended up supplementing with formula. Breast milk is a lot waterier than formula so our baby was spewing up almost entire feeds and wasn't thriving. The formula was thicker so he kept it down better.

As for things we didn't need:
    Sling (an expensive lesson learned :o)
    Bottle warmer
    Teething rings (he prefers chewing everything else)
    Baby bath and stand (so much hassle to fill etc)
    Bumbo

I also got one of those boppy breastfeeding pillows that I thought initially was a waste but when the little fella started getting stronger I used it as a support for him to sit and also found it brilliant for putting under his chest during tummy time :)

I naively bought a lot of pure crap when I was pregnant, little things that I thought would be really handy and useful but never saw the light of day once the baby was born. Every newborn is different and I know when you're pregnant, the instinct is to have everything prepared and sorted before you have the baby but if I could go back now, I would have only bought the bare necessities and waited until after I had him to see what else was needed.

lazygal wrote: »
    Bull. I know loads of babies who've been properly diagnosed with reflux. And most were breastfed. It is a complete myth and very stressful to be told because you're breastfeeding your baby doesn't have reflux. I was lucky with mine but friends have had reflux on multiple babies.

I was talking about real reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or laryngopharyngeal reflux (LRD), not a baby spitting up a load of milk cos he swallowed too much.

"Bull" because you know "loads of babies"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Travel system.

Everyone told me I would need one, but we just got a fully-reclining buggy and said we would play it by ear. Didn't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

its so true every baby is different.

We couldnt live with out our travel system and he is two next month and we still use our big pram every day.

- I got a sleep positioner that we never used
    -breastfeeding pillow we never used either
    -the bumbo was used a handful of times but he could always twist out of it
    - we bought a really expensive swing/bouncer that he HATED. we had purchased a second bouncer from adverts on a whim for a tenner that he loved so much we bought a second one to have in other places in the house.

- swaddle wraps. a cellular blanket worked a million times better
    - sock ons- his socks would fall off with the sock on's on. next baby tights under pants in winter. makes my and thier life easier.

I'm sure there is more but we probably blocked it out haha!

I was talking about real reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or laryngopharyngeal reflux (LRD), not a baby spitting up a load of milk cos he swallowed too much.

Why are you fixating on this? I don't care whether you believe me, but it is incorrect to say breastfed babies don't get reflux(maybe you could withdraw that), and yes I know of many babies, the majority of whom were breastfeed, who were diagnosed by medical professionals as suffering from reflux. I think most parents with small babies know the difference between occasional puking and reflux.

pwurple wrote: »
    Travel system.

Everyone told me I would need one, but we just got a fully-reclining buggy and said we would play it by ear. Didn't need one.

And I love ours! I hated the one fold light buggy we got and passed it onto a friend. We're still using our convertible double and single system now and I wish I'd bought it for my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

How about this then. I am a medical professional and yes breast fed babies do get reflux and GERD. It is an anatomical issue and therefore the type of milk they are drinking had absolutely zero to do with it. Yes drinking smaller slower amounts while breast feeding may help minimise the symptoms but they still can and do get it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Lets get back on topic, shall we?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Never used :-
    *Mirror for car
    *Lots and lots of Johnson and Johnson products as gift, will never use them

Waste of money:-
    *Muslins and bibs. got loads as presents, 7 months on they are still in the packets. Now we only use bibs with shelves.
    *Blankets - as presents we got 4 hand knitted, 7 fleece and 3 breathable
    *Under the arm thermometer
    *Beanbag
    *cot mobile

Lifesavers:-
    *Sling (wrap and buckle)
    *foam mats
    *jumperoo
    *swing
    *Ikea High Chair
    *Towels with hoods (especially for swimming)
    *Bath Chair
    *freddie Firefly
    *Chocolate and coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Useless/never used
    Gro egg
    Cot foam positioner
    Cot mobile (my husband spent a small fortune on one in tony Kealys as we thought it would help 'fix' our newborn son as he wouldn't sleep in a cot! At 2 weeks old!)
    Baby Bjorn bouncer
    Any Johnson and Johnson or similar products
    Sudocreme and Vaseline (I don't know what I was thinking when I bought vast quantities when pregnant)
    Bibs - neither of mine ever really dribbled
    Teething rings
    Sophie the giraffe - both my kids were unimpressed
    Changing bag - I never used it

Essentials
    Cosleeper cot - bought second hand and was used from 3-7 months on both
    Muslin cloths
    Cheap second hand fisher price bouncer on adverts
    Ergo baby carrier - more so on the second as I needed hands free for the toddler
    Bt baby monitor
    Gro bags - so much better than cheaper types
    Changing Table - our backs were broken leaning over a table changing newborns
    Tummy tub bath - on my second. It used to calm her down in the evening
    Gro black out blind - an absolute necessity
    Medela Swing breast pump
    Breastfriend feeding pillow - only used in my son but I found it fantastic
    Nursing chair - bought for feeding my daughter. It saved a lot of back pain and was so comfie
    Ear thermometer

Advertisement