Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Pregnancy Moan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My baby was six weeks old on Monday and she is a great little baby.
    Overall I've been doing brilliantly, actually most people are stunned at how well I've recovered.
    My only gripe now at this stage is that I am still bleeding.
    The intensity of it has lessened and it's mostly pinky now rather than the dark red of the early days (sorry for the tmi but it's hard to discuss these things without doing so) but there were a few days where it was back to being dark red and clottish again. Maybe this was my period but how the hell do you tell where one beings and the other ends?
    If it was my period it came around 5 weeks post partum and as I stopped breast feeding at 3 weeks it could have been.
    I have to ask though if it was my period wouldn't the Lochia have stopped or why is it backs again.
    I was with the GP for the baby's 6 week check yesterday and mentioned the above to her. She did think it was going on a little longer than it should and said when I was back for the little ones vaccinations in the next 2 weeks if it was still going on then she would take some swabs to check for infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Penny I bled for 4.5 months after my baby, sometimes light sometimes heavier. Like you I think some of it was a period or two but there was no break.
    I went to the doctor & she did the swab & gave me a letter to go into A&E if the bleeding got too heavy. The swab came back clear & a week later the bleeding stopped. I actually think my hormones just went haywire after the pregnancy & took awhile to settle down.
    I had a section & apparently you bleed less after as they 'clean you out' before they sew you up but that wasn' t the case for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Penny I bled for 4.5 months after my baby, sometimes light sometimes heavier. Like you I think some of it was a period or two but there was no break.
    I went to the doctor & she did the swab & gave me a letter to go into A&E if the bleeding got too heavy. The swab came back clear & a week later the bleeding stopped. I actually think my hormones just went haywire after the pregnancy & took awhile to settle down.
    I had a section & apparently you bleed less after as they 'clean you out' before they sew you up but that wasn' t the case for me!

4.5 months??!! Jaysus. 4 wks today and appears to be stopping finally. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Ms2011 wrote: »

I think it's so great to know things like this, half the reason I was freaked out about bleeding after birth was because the books made out it would be a very short event and when it wasn't I got very panicky about it which mixed with haywire hormones, left me in a bit of a state sometimes.

Like the fact I still have mild swollen ankles 4 months postpartum, scared the crap out of me but doc doesn't seem very concerned, said she'll check my bloods in December but again can all be down to normal things as well so that's the thought route I'm choosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I think it's so great to know things like this

This is one of the reasons I love these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

73trix wrote: »
    4.5 months??!! Jaysus. 4 wks today and appears to be stopping finally. Fingers crossed!

I don't thinking bleeding this long is the norm but it was normal for my body just no one warned me it could last this long so I got a fright when after 3 months it showed no sign of stopping.
    I'm sure yours will stop soon ;)

There are so many average things about pregnancy and the post partum end of things but to get the average there must be women on either side of that average. For some of these things clear up super fast for others they last longer. Without forums like this to help out with the " I can't be the only one surely?"thoughts I think I'd go a little ga ga.

No bleeding for almost a week now. Hopefully that's the end of that!

I keep reading about the importance of kegel s after childbirth. Is this more for those who had vaginal births? I had a section and fortunately have no stress incontinence.. One thing i don't have to deal with at least. Haven't done any either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Just got my period... First period in 18 months! :(:(:(

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Just got my period... First period in 18 months! :(:(:(

Hope it was ok Sligo! In the middle of my 4th, first three were horrendous, this one wasn't so bad!! Very excited, hope it continues😀

Oscar has been sleeping through the night for the past week, mammy and daddy are VERY happy, we all have extra energy!😄ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Weirdly empty wobbly belly.

I feel like a certain fat man whose belly is compared to a dessert this time of year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Hope you don't mind whispered but that gave me a little giggle :)

Whispered wrote: »
    Weirdly empty wobbly belly.

I feel like a certain fat man whose belly is compared to a dessert this time of year :)

Lol, I'm the same. My belly is like a big loose bag :(

It's amazing how your body reacts isn't it. Getting regular contractions still (not sore ones) apparently this helps tighten your stomach again.

I hate my post pregnancy period, that is all!

Feel great otherwise but it's so heavy with fecking mini clots just to make things more unpleasant, doc said this may just be how they're going to be but they may change back, praying they will! This is number 4 now so I'll wait and see...

Otherwise great😀 Still have ankle swelling but got liver and kidney function checked last week so it's just a case of eat better, drink more water and lose a bit of weight!

It's amazing how your body reacts isn't it. Getting regular contractions still (not sore ones) apparently this helps tighten your stomach again.

I remember some awful post delivery cramps. Told it was uterus shrinking. Only for few days tho.

Still have sore fingers 10 wks on and no periods yet. Otherwise back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A week on and I'm starting to feel a bit more human :) My back pain where I had the epidural is disappearing and I'm a bit steadier on my feet. The lochia is still horrible
    (why does no one tell you it smells like bleach?!)
    but it's easing off at least, and my stitches are itching like crazy. For me the weirdest thing is the 'empty belly' feeling that Whispered was talking about, all of your abdominal core is all stretched out so even sitting up is a challenge sometimes! Maybe some support granny pants are in order...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Ah the ' alien belly' you gain after birth not looking forward to that!!

My little guy is 16 weeks today and while my womb has shrunk back down, my stomach muscles and skin are just so loose! Sometimes I hope him standing up on my belly and his little feet nearly disappear...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

My little guy is 16 weeks today and while my womb has shrunk back down, my stomach muscles and skin are just so loose! Sometimes I hope him standing up on my belly and his little feet nearly disappear...

Glad I'm not the only one...I was prepared for a jelly belly but not this pouch thing.

My belly button is sunken in the middle. Decided to google it and came up with diastasis rectis. Presume if i had that that they would have noticed and said something in the hospital? I read something that said stomach muscles may take 6 months to go back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Stitches givin' me itches :(

For me at almost 15 weeks post delivery my moans are:
    1) bleeding constantly for 13.5 weeks and not being taken seriously by the doctors in the hospital. Eventually they agreed that something was wrong and I had to be readmitted before Christmas for a small operation. Glad it's all over now though.
    2) I'm such a wuss about sad songs or movies since my little girl was born. They bring tears to my eyes and never did before.
    3) I'd kill for a day off yet hate being away from her too.
    4) I was lucky and got no stretch marks and put on hardly any weight and my body looks like it's old self again but OMG how your boobs change! They feel so soft and kinda empty now or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

4) I was lucky and got no stretch marks and put on hardly any weight and my body looks like it's old self again but OMG how your boobs change!

what's your secret?! :-)

Totally agree with all those points! And yep I'm slimmer now than I've ever been and only 8st4lb (5ft5), with no stretch marks at all... But my boobs which were once pretty huge are like empty sacks :(.... And down by my belly button :(:(:(

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Totally agree with all those points! And yep I'm slimmer now than I've ever been and only 8st4lb (5ft5), with no stretch marks at all... But my boobs which were once pretty huge are like empty sacks :(.... And down by my belly button :(:(:(

It's weird isn't it? Mine look much the same as they did before I got pregnant but once I touch them they don't feel like mine anymore. It's almost like squeezing the air out of a semi deflated balloon or something.

VandC wrote: »
    what's your secret?! :-)

Stretch marks or the lack of them is down to genetics. My mum never got them even after 6 babies and neither did either of my sisters and they had 3 each.
    The weight thing was a combination of nausea, heartburn, no weird cravings and when I did eat I was mostly quite sensible.
    Then my baby decided to come about 4 weeks early and weighed 3.22kg so I'm sure that helped too.

Mine don't look the same :(.... My friends used to call me "wonder boobs".... Now it's more like "blunder boobs"....

My boy is only 15 days so I'm not loathing my body just yet. I'm enjoying my ankles and delicate look to my hands compared to the last few weeks.

My moan is emotional. We went out for a coffee and a bit of a walk around a local shopping centre on the 22nd so it was very busy. I felt so vulnerable. My section mark was a bit sore but I kept thinking how if anything happened I wouldn't be able to protect him. I felt exposed and lost and helpless, despite being with my husband. It was horrid. We are going back to the centre tomorrow. Hopefully it will be quieter and I can not be a paranoid mess :)

My boy is only 15 days so I'm not loathing my body just yet. I'm enjoying my ankles and delicate look to my hands compared to the last few weeks.

My moan is emotional. We went out for a coffee and a bit of a walk around a local shopping centre on the 22nd so it was very busy. I felt so vulnerable. My section mark was a bit sore but I kept thinking how if anything happened I wouldn't be able to protect him. I felt exposed and lost and helpless, despite being with my husband. It was horrid. We are going back to the centre tomorrow. Hopefully it will be quieter and I can not be a paranoid mess :)

I felt a bit like that too when I went out for the first time my own. My baby was only two weeks old and I left her at home with her Dad while I went to Blanchardstown to get a changing bag and a few other things I hadn't gotten before she came early.
    The whole time I was there I kept putting my hands to my stomach to protect the baby bump that wasn't there any more. It was the oddest sensation to be out as normal but no longer pregnant.

• Advertisement

It's weird isn't it? Mine look much the same as they did before I got pregnant but once I touch them they don't feel like mine anymore. It's almost like squeezing the air out of a semi deflated balloon or something.

I dread this. My boobs are huge compared to pre pregnancy and I worry about the deflated factor after..Cringe. I've gone from 34b to 36d. This must put a lot of women off breastfeeding. I've been extreme ly lucky with my body too -back to old weight and no stretch marks but worry about boobs. Oh still have sore fingers!

Advertisement