Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri - Nov 22nd - Venetian Macao

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Pacquiao by dominant decision, Algieri wont win more than one or two rounds on each card.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

pac_man wrote: »
    I saw Algeri a couple of fights ago and really all I saw was an athlete. Stylistically it will be awkward for Manny( given away lots of height and reach) but for me I can't see any upset and I have a feeling this match is set up so that Manny will break his five year KO hiatus. All of course designed to intensify a public outcry directed towards Mayweather.

Agree with u pacman Algeri is a athlete. Could make it awkward with his height. But I'd expect Manny to win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Is it really 5 years since pacman KO'd someone?
    And who was his last?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Is it really 5 years since pacman KO'd someone?
    And who was his last?

Yup, five years in November since he beat Cotto.

In fairness, his opponents since then were all pretty big men (besides Marquez, who's quality) and none of them are the type that get stopped easily (if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Algieri is certainly a stylistic challenge for Manny. Tall, sharp, and throws in volume. There's no real reason to believe he's near Manny's level yet though, not after fighting just two recognised opponents.

It could be an interesting fight, depends on what version of Pacquiao shows up.

• Advertisement

Anyone see an argument for Algieri?

Seems like he's being written off for the most part. Stylistically I can see how he could pose some issues for Pac, but it's a huge step-up in class for him.

Too much too soon IMO but will give Manny some hairy moments. Manny on points for me

What time is this on at tomorrow Irish time?

Boxnation coverage starts at 2am so I'm guessing 4am at the earliest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Henno30 wrote: »
    Boxnation coverage starts at 2am so I'm guessing 4am at the earliest?

I am guess this is on tonight as Friday night/Saturday morning rather than Saturday night/Sunday morning?

Manny looks in superb condition in the lead-up to this one. As fast and as sharp as I've seen him look in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am guess this is on tonight as Friday night/Saturday morning rather than Saturday night/Sunday morning?

It's on Saturday night/Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

It's a big pay day for Algieri, that's all it is. Pac to win by KO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Manny is looking superb. Lean and quick.

I'm expecting him to win a wide UD, flurries in and out again all night. I don't think he'll get the KO though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

It took Algieri three goes to hit the weight hope this isn't going to be a rabbit in the headlights come round 1

Mustn't have learned much from that Masters in Nutrition that he has.

It's pretty funny. Especially when he was tweeting stuff like this yesterday.

B3AVCGHIQAA8QZ0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Hope this fight is next.

Lomachemko looks decent again! Great to watch star in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Lomachemko looks decent again! Great to watch star in the future

Ya, plenty of flaws o still iron out but he really is something to behold in full flow. That 4th round is a must watch for any boxing fan, beautiful stuff from Loma.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Ya, plenty of flaws o still iron out but he really is something to behold in full flow. That 4th round is a must watch for any boxing fan, beautiful stuff from Loma.

That last round (11) was a joy to watch the fellas skill is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kwanpichit Onesongchaigym up next on the undercard.

Yes, that's hit name. :P

• Advertisement

Not being picky here, but what flaws do you see?

megadodge wrote: »

He cuts easy.

Cant really change that though.

Looks like manny's younger brother fighting now

He does get caught with a punch u can hit him. But I think he beats Rigondeux all day long. His skill set is lovely to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Don't get me wrong, he's very much elite already and I am nit picking, but I feel he has a tendency to switch off at times, occasionally take breaks where he's not throwing but stays in range.

He was also coasting early on in that fight and Barrie Jones called it spot on. He could of got rid of the Thai if he'd stepped it up, but didn't decide to, and instead he injured his hand and had to go the full 12 fighting with pretty much one hand. Now that probably turned out to be good experience, but if that's a guy like Walters in there and the finish is there he better take it, because it's too dangerous to leave guys like that around.

Kirby wrote: »
    He cuts easy.

Really? Like when?

He does get caught with a punch u can hit him. But I think he beats Rigondeux all day long. His skill set is lovely to watch

Firstly, even the very best defensive boxers in the world get hit.
    Secondly, he is among the very best defensive boxers in the world.
    Absolutely beautiful defensive skills.

Don't get me wrong, he's very much elite already and I am nit picking, but I feel he has a tendency to switch off at times, occasionally take breaks where he's not throwing but stays in range.

He was also coasting early on in that fight and Barrie Jones called it spot on. He could of got rid of the Thai if he'd stepped it up, but didn't decide to, and instead he injured his hand and had to go the full 12 fighting with pretty much one hand. Now that probably turned out to be good experience, but if that's a guy like Walters in there and the finish is there he better take it, because it's too dangerous to leave guys like that around.

Not exactly "plenty of flaws" though?

Those two presenters on box nation are the most annoying ***** ever.

• Advertisement

Firstly, even the very best defensive boxers in the world get hit.
    Secondly, he is among the very best defensive boxers in the world.
    Absolutely beautiful defensive skills.

Never disputed that

Never disputed that

I was asking about his "flaws" and the language you used in your answer suggested that he wasn't hard to hit, which I strongly disagree with.

Bad call by the ref there. That was no knockdown.

Good footwork from Algieri so far, even with his fast feet Manny is finding it hard to close the distance.

I was asking about his "flaws" and the language you used in your answer suggested that he wasn't hard to hit, which I strongly disagree with.

Well the fight tonight showed that he can get hit but doesn't have an effect on him. We'll be raving about him in a year or two

Good footwork from Algieri so far, even with his fast feet Manny is finding it hard to close the distance.

Were at loggerheads tonight lad. I think manny is getting into the pockets very easy just needs his shots to ge cleaner

• Advertisement

Well the fight tonight showed that he can get hit but doesn't have an effect on him. We'll be raving about him in a year or two

Yeah, but that's hardly a 'flaw', as every fighter gets hit.
    Mayweather was hit something like 220 times against Maidana in their first fight, yet you'd never hear anyone saying "he can be hit".

I agree though that he's on his way to being a big star.

Were at loggerheads tonight lad. I think manny is getting into the pockets very easy just needs his shots to ge cleaner

He is now. I wrote that in the second I think and things have changed in the meantime.

Yeah, but that's hardly a 'flaw', as every fighter gets hit.
    Mayweather was hit something like 220 times against Maidana in their first fight, yet you'd never hear anyone saying "he can be hit".

I agree though that he's on his way to being a big star.

It will be flaw if a better fighter hits him clean to many times

It's over.

How did Algieri survive that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

pacquiao needs a ko or this is a setback for him.

I will be flaw if a better fighter hits him clean to many times

But he's not getting hit very often.
    And that was my whole point. You seem to be suggesting he is.
    It's pretty obvious that he'll be hard to hit for anybody. His defense is brilliant. But even defensive wizards get hit.
    Roy Jones is the only boxer in the history of Compubox to go through a round without having a punch scored against him. ONE ROUND EVER.

Middle class loses again. Working class sport!!!

Algieri corner is completely delusional.

100% agree

Katie's on TG4 right now.

That was never in doubt.

Hilarious though

eha37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

weemcd wrote: »
    Manny is looking superb. Lean and quick.

I'm expecting him to win a wide UD, flurries in and out again all night. I don't think he'll get the KO though.

I hope you've put money on that, good prediction man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very unimpressed with Algieri. In there to survive. Never offered anything of substance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement