Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Waterfront 10K, HM, Marathon 2014

Options
  • 04-11-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Clonakilty Waterfront 10K, HM, Marathon on 6th December 2014
    www.runclon.ie

Any boardies doing this? It's the same day as the Waterford AC HM also.

I may do the 10K or HM but the price is not helping. 10K €30, HM €50, Marathon €60.

If it was a target race then yes but otherwise probably not. I know this is a very well ran event, great views, and it receives glowing reports each year and also there is a medal and top etc but for me anyways its that bit too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I ran it last year pacing a friend, really enjoyed it as it's a really scenic course. Only annoying thing was you had to visit the hotel in advance to collect the race number. Read the route is different this year I think.

Can't make it this year as am away that weekend but would probably have done the Waterford half if I'd been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

This year they give you the option of posting out the race pack and number and collecting the tshirt after the race. Going to do it if the body recovers well enough. Did the half in 2011 and nothing bad to say about that experience. Looped hilly course for the full this year which isn't that appealing, don't mind hills, hate loops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I've signed up for it. Sure why not? Heard it's very hilly though and after the Dublin one alone I'm worried about it. But sure we'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Probably will head down as well. Have to see how the body is after the double in Sixmilebridge first though.

Loved the course last year, best looking route I've ever been on, even edging Dingle IMO.

Fairly annoyed with what they've done with the out and back this year. Aired my grievances at the DCM expo to them, but only got a shrug of the shoulders really in response. Can only hope they put it back for the year after.

In saying that, the atmosphere and craic down there are second to none. Its a great run to keep you going up to the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Did it last year and really enjoyed it -very scenic course and great town for the craic. Was on the agenda this year after DCM but not impressed with new route of loops so likely to give it a miss and go to Waterford instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Did it last year and really enjoyed it -very scenic course and great town for the craic. Was on the agenda this year after DCM but not impressed with new route of loops so likely to give it a miss and go to Waterford instead.

good idea, support an event organised by proper athletic club and not some commercial event where all the profits are pocketed.

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    not impressed with new route of loops so likely to give it a miss and go to Waterford instead.

Just checked the map there. What the hell?How many laps/loops is it do you know? Terribly laid out by the looks of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Clashing with one of the best organised half marathons in Munster, I know where I'm heading...Ran Clonakility a few years ago but it was a disaster that year. Heard it improved since but not gone on a hilly looped course that will be full of 10km and half runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Jay D wrote: »
    Just checked the map there. What the hell?How many laps/loops is it do you know? Terribly laid out by the looks of it :(

Looks like...
    10K - out and back once
    HM - out and back twice
    Marathon - out and back 3.5 times!

That's about 2K people on the same stretch of 5K road!

And people doing the marathon are going to see the same stretch of road 8 times!!!!

viperlogic wrote: »
    Looks like...
    10K - out and back once
    HM - out and back twice

And people doing the marathon are going to see the same stretch of road 8 times!!!!

Thanks. Looks as though I jumped blindly into this one. I never run a loop on a normal run. I'm sure I'm not alone here but 3.5 times at that distance, mental torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like...
    10K - out and back once
    HM - out and back twice

That's a shame, the old course would have been the made reason I'd have considered it again. Will be interesting to read how people get on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I signed up presuming it would be the same course as previous years. Looking at the map now it's looking horrible.

Are there any pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

50 is quite expensive for a half
    what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Looks like...
    10K - out and back once
    HM - out and back twice

Just registered for Waterford Half on this ^ basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RHunce wrote: »
    I signed up presuming it would be the same course as previous years. Looking at the map now it's looking horrible.

Are there any pacers?

The usually have pacers from 3:30 upwards. I presume it will be the same again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

The usually have pacers from 3:30 upwards. I presume it will be the same again this year.

You heading down to it this year TFB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You heading down to it this year TFB?

No. It's my son's birthday. Last year I got an exemption because the race was on Saturday and the party on Sunday but this year I'm out.

I was flabbergasted when I saw the new course, btw, but that's nothing to do with me no running it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Just to clarify the new marathon course?...its 4 loops on an out and back road?!
    I am right in saying that you would in that case run out the road for about 3 miles, turn around and run back the same road? And repeat 4 times ?
    Meaning you stay on almost the same stretch of road for the full 26.2 miles????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Cona wrote: »
    Just to clarify the new marathon course?...its 4 loops on an out and back road?!
    I am right in saying that you would in that case run out the road for about 3 miles, turn around and run back the same road? And repeat 4 times ?
    Meaning you stay on almost the same stretch of road for the full 26.2 miles????

Scratch that, just looked up the route on their website. Indeed it's a single stretch of road run which you run 7 times...Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

As much as I hate loops myself, I think it's worth stating as part of this discussion that the Eddie Murphy races in Sixmilebridge soon get consistently good feedback. And they are ran on a one mile loop, half, full and double marathons... So there must be some benefits you don't get on an out and back or a regular course? I do realise there may be other factors involved too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

From the FAQ section of the website : "At present race start time is 9am". Are they seriously starting all 3 races from the same spot at the same time ?

Ron Scott wrote: »
    From the FAQ section of the website : "At present race start time is 9am". Are they seriously starting all 3 races from the same spot at the same time ?

I asked same and they said yes!

I asked same and they said yes!

Wow, sounds a bit odd. So for example, everyone running at 8 min pace across the 3 races will be sharing the same space on one side of a fairly small country road ? Keeping to one side to allow runners heading the other direction their space. And after the first out and back, people will be overtaking slower runners from the half and full.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

JohnDozer wrote: »
    As much as I hate loops myself, I think it's worth stating as part of this discussion that the Eddie Murphy races in Sixmilebridge soon get consistently good feedback. And they are ran on a one mile loop, half, full and double marathons...

Much smaller field at SMB in fairness. If i wasn't recovering from injury I'd be signed up for this enjoyable run again.
    Can foresee a lot of posts after the event complaining about congestion, and slower runners. Hopefully the marshaling will have this all in hand though.

Entries close tomorrow night

Going to give the 10K a lash. Expensive but I will be down that direction that day. Plus I like the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

did the half here last year and nearly died

almost content that i'm injured this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

slingerz wrote: »
    did the half here last year and nearly died

almost content that i'm injured this year?

Haha I remember with the Flu. What kind of injury do you have?

I'm in much better shape this year but haven't ran on roads since May so think this one is out of the question.

Looks like they may stagger the starts after all

clon%20letter%20550%202.jpg

• Advertisement

That's no harm. I wonder what the numbers are like, I know of quite a few who usually do it switching to Waterford instead. The link to the course preview video on their website still says "coming soon", would have been a help to get that up before now.

Advertisement