Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 7 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Fergus_ wrote: »
    @Eoin, he's from Belfast. Unsure of his previous tekken history but he has competed in an UK tourney abroad in DR and played some T6 as far as I know.

Definitely the best Wang and Pappi I've played ever

To expand on this: back in 2008 he came 4th at Battle of Destiny - a tournament which offered a flight to Las Vegas for Evo a couple of weeks later as its first prize, attracting players from all over Europe (first and second were brothers from Poland) - right behind Ryan Hart. The Poles were unable to travel to Evo, so Ryan got the flight and went on to win Evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Loool Dave, I actually remember that now. That's so bizarre to look back on now. Just a wee heads up, Tekken players refer to Xiaoyu as Ling and she is indeedy in T7 as well as Law. Not too far off on my predictions :D

Lei and Julia are my next 2 chars to be revealed.

@Yreval, I'm guessing the brothers were Devil and MattJF. They both took me out at Lionz Den 2 in London :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

I never met Simon actually, where did he come from anyway? Was he around in your day Domonator?

Can't say I remember him. Which characters did he use?

I believe he used Kazuya in DR/T6 and then switched to Wang/Pappi in TTT2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Is nina too complex to pick up getting into tekken ?, I've heard so much contrasting stuff from different people over characters to get into the game with, someone told me paul and the mishimas are a good way to get into it

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    Is nina too complex to pick up getting into tekken ?, I've heard so much contrasting stuff from different people over characters to get into the game with, someone told me paul and the mishimas are a good way to get into it

You can play Nina perfectly fine, her harder stuff is purely combos but she has some decent staples without them anyway. Her SS1 cancels might be a bit weird to get down at first but they are quite important for the character.

For beginner chars that are confirmed in T7, I would recommend Law, Dragunov, Lars, Leo, Feng, Alisa and Asuka for fundamental chars. The rest are fairly tricky and/or strays a bit away from the standard meta of tekken. Mishimas are also fundamental chars but they have a steep execution curve to get down.

Just let me know if you have questions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Loool Dave, I actually remember that now. That's so bizarre to look back on now. Just a wee heads up, Tekken players refer to Xiaoyu as Ling and she is indeedy in T7 as well as Law. Not too far off on my predictions :D

Lei and Julia are my next 2 chars to be revealed.

Fixed now. The Wiki page I grabbed the T7 chars off had them listed alphabetically, but by first name like weirdos, so I missed Ling, Marshall and Sergei on first pass, but I caught Sergei on second pass before posting the pic.

Is the T7 roster not actually confirmed then? I thought it was all done and dusted and was the best Tekken ever because it has a Street Fighter character in it.

Here is your shortlist for what you're waiting to be confirmed:

Gus%20tekken%20shortlist_zpse3kawcvc.png

I think from what I played on the 3DS I quite enjoyed Dragunov, Lars and Lili; but didn't play Lili much because you called her as not being in T7 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

You can play Nina perfectly fine, her harder stuff is purely combos but she has some decent staples without them anyway. Her SS1 cancels might be a bit weird to get down at first but they are quite important for the character.

For beginner chars that are confirmed in T7, I would recommend Law, Dragunov, Lars, Leo, Feng, Alisa and Asuka for fundamental chars. The rest are fairly tricky and/or strays a bit away from the standard meta of tekken. Mishimas are also fundamental chars but they have a steep execution curve to get down.

Just let me know if you have questions here.

I can remember a lot of her commands from other games, should most transfer over ?

Fixed now. The Wiki page I grabbed the T7 chars off had them listed alphabetically, but by first name like weirdos, so I missed Ling, Marshall and Sergei on first pass, but I caught Sergei on second pass before posting the pic.

Is the T7 roster not actually confirmed then? I thought it was all done and dusted and was the best Tekken ever because it has a Street Fighter character in it.

Here is your shortlist for what you're waiting to be confirmed:

Gus%20tekken%20shortlist_zpse3kawcvc.png

I think from what I played on the 3DS I quite enjoyed Dragunov, Lars and Lili; but didn't play Lili much because you called her as not being in T7 :pac:

They're most likely adding more characters. I got my money on Lei, Julia and Lee at the moment.
    airmax87 wrote: »
    I can remember a lot of her commands from other games, should most transfer over ?

Yep, the character's movelists change very little from one tekken to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Since we're on the topic, IMO here's where I'd rate the characters in T7 in terms of accessibility.

Easy, Right Field (ie. has all the staple fundamental tools); Alisa, Feng, Josie, Katarina, Kazumi, Law, Leo, Shaheen
    Easy, Left Field (ie. has more unique tools or is missing fundamental tools); Asuka, Claudio, Jack, Lars, Lucky Chloe, Lili, Paul
    Medium, Right Field; Bryan, Dragunov, King
    Medium, Left Field; Ling, Yoshimitsu
    Hard, Right Field; Devil Jin, Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya, Nina
    Hard, Left Field; Hwoarang, Steve

• Advertisement

I believe he used Kazuya in DR/T6 and then switched to Wang/Pappi in TTT2.

Doesn't ring a bell. Or maybe I just can't remember as I stopped playing back in 2010.

Bought a used PS3 yesterday and downloaded TTT2 from the PS Store. I though I would start smashing it from the start, but I'm hilariously bad at Tekken now. I have to learn how to play all over again lol.

Welcome back! :)

Welcome back! :)

Cheers!

I remember back in 2009, when a tournament was being organized in the XGC for T6, that someone from Northern Ireland asked could we not put "Ireland" in the tournaments name, rather say R.O.I. instead as it implied that it was the entire country competing. Is there a rivalry between north and south?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I remember back in 2009, when a tournament was being organized in the XGC for T6, that someone from Northern Ireland asked could we not put "Ireland" in the tournaments name, rather say R.O.I. instead as it implied that it was the entire country competing. Is there a rivalry between north and south?

First I've heard of it, and I've been doing tournaments since Soulcalibur IV (2009) :confused:

I'd say the rivalry now is more scene/skill-based, without regards to country.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    First I've heard of it, and I've been doing tournaments since Soulcalibur IV (2009) :confused:

I'd say the rivalry now is more scene/skill-based, without regards to country.

Sound. Can't wait to get back to playing Tekken competitively.

While I'm asking random questions and holding people to their answers:

What character who is in Tekken3D/Tag2/7 is the most braindead easy to play and win with. Toppest tier with lowest skill requirement basically :pac:

What character who is in Tekken3D/Tag2/7 is the most braindead easy to play and win with. Toppest tier with lowest skill requirement basically :pac:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to tiers, every character is good if you play them the right way. Here's Knee using Gigas: (a lower tier character) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfYMG8PauY

It depends on your play style, are you fast and have good technical skills? Then maybe a Mishima character. I myself was never fast enough to use the Mishimas effectively so I chose Marduk and King as my mains. The only thing I can say is to try every character, see which one you like and and grind it out in practice mode to learn all the moves, juggles, frames and safe moves.

Here's a tier list for Tekken 7: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2015/6/16/tekken-7-nobi-shous-tier-lists-karei-vs-kagemaru-match-video.html it may be outdated at this point. Also, study the best players in the world's matches on Youtube, you can learn a lot from them.

I'm just curious, how many people use Controllers or sticks to play? I've always used controllers to play but I would like to try my hand at a stick. I'm finding the pad too limited when it comes to movement. Which stick brands would you recommend? I can't buy one until Tekken 7 gets released because I don't know if the game is getting released for PC, which will save me having to buy a PS4.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't pay too much attention to tiers, every character is good if you play them the right way. Here's Knee using Gigas: (a lower tier character) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfYMG8PauY

It depends on your play style, are you fast and have good technical skills? Then maybe a Mishima character. I myself was never fast enough to use the Mishimas effectively so I chose Marduk and King as my mains. The only thing I can say is to try every character, see which one you like and and grind it out in practice mode to learn all the moves, juggles, frames and safe moves.

Here's a tier list for Tekken 7, it may be outdated at this point. Also, study the best players in the world's matches on Youtube, you can learn a lot from them.

My question was partially a joke.

I already knew everything you just wrote. I'm not new to fighting games. Thanks for linking the tier list though (I like that Dragonuv is good).

That said, I don't play Tekken, own a copy of a main series Tekken game or even really like Tekken. I won't grind in practice mode, do any research, learn any moves or expend any mental effort in this endevour whatsoever.

So with all that in mind: Who's the best/easiest character if you're awful at the game and might just end up playing T7 at a friend's house one day?

Edit: The universal rule of fighting games is to use whatever you're comfortable with. If you're used to pad you might find the jump to stick initially very difficult, but eventually wonder how you ever managed without it (like myself).

If you are based near one of the cities that have regular casuals, your best bet is to arrange to come on the same day as some Tekken stick players. Anyone would be willing to let you try out their stick to see if you like it before dropping cash money on your own one.

There is a topic for buying/selling fightsticks on this forum here.

My question was partially a joke.

I already knew everything you just wrote. I'm not new to fighting games. Thanks for linking the tier list though (I like that Dragonuv is good).

That said, I don't play Tekken, own a copy of a main series Tekken game or even really like Tekken. I won't grind in practice mode, do any research, learn any moves or expend any mental effort in this endevour whatsoever.

So with all that in mind: Who's the best/easiest character if you're awful at the game and might just end up playing T7 at a friend's house one day?

Edit: The universal rule of fighting games is to use whatever you're comfortable with. If you're used to pad you might find the jump to stick initially very difficult, but eventually wonder how you ever managed without it (like myself).

If you are based near one of the cities that have regular casuals, your best bet is to arrange to come on the same day as some Tekken stick players. Anyone would be willing to let you try out their stick to see if you like it before dropping cash money on your own one.

There is a topic for buying/selling fightsticks on this forum here.

Cheers for that link. In my experience, new players have had a good bit of craic with characters such as: Law, Eddy Gordo/Christie, King, Steve and maybe Hwoarang. They all have easy moves that are spammable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm just curious, how many people use Controllers or sticks to play? I've always used controllers to play but I would like to try my hand at a stick. I'm finding the pad too limited when it comes to movement. Which stick brands would you recommend? I can't buy one until Tekken 7 gets released because I don't know if the game is getting released for PC, which will save me having to buy a PS4.

As much as I love stick, for some reason (muscle memory?) I think PS1/PS2 pad is superior to stick for Tekken.

TTT2 - Bob

T7 - Shaheen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    As much as I love stick, for some reason (muscle memory?) I think PS1/PS2 pad is superior to stick for Tekken.

What about DS3/4? I can't decide between this which I prefer more for Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

What about DS3/4? I can't decide between this which I prefer more for Tekken.

The main problem I've had with DS3 is that the square and triangle buttons are quite far apart to consistently press simultaneously with my thumb, making 1+2 attacks in Tekken a bit dodgy in clutch situations. I used a MCZ SF X T pad for that very reason. DS4 buttons are together more closely though, basing that on getting EX punch moves consistently in SF V.

If you play claw style like I do on pad, pressing 2 buttons at once is fine.

Especially once you get used to button buffering, ie holding down 1 and pressing 2 and it will register as 1+2. Very useful if there's a sequence of buttons that allows you to do it such as Asuka's 2,1,1+2. I can just do 2, then press 1 and hold it then press 2 again for 1+2 ender.

Although there are some moves in the game that you can't button buffer during combos because it's a standalone move like Lars' DE 1+2 as it must be done out of F3 stance.

I feel its easier to press simultaneous buttons on stick though. Especially when you're trying to break 1+2 grabs in the heat of the moment and you get 1,2 or 2,1 on pad. One of my biggest annoyances atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Macal wrote: »
    The main problem I've had with DS3 is that the square and triangle buttons are quite far apart to consistently press simultaneously with my thumb, making 1+2 attacks in Tekken a bit dodgy in clutch situations. I used a MCZ SF X T had for that very reason. DS4 buttons are together more closely though, basing that on getting EX punch moves consistently in SF V.

For T5/6 on DS3 I bound L1 to 1+2 for this reason. R1 to 2+4. I've always done this... seemed kind of mandatory for playing on a pad... or more so using the only advantage it has which is shoulder buttons and the like for custom controls.

I used to use a PS2 pad with a converter for Tekken back in the day. There's just something about the PS3 pads L2 & R2 buttons, I never liked them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gamespot had an article up earlier on stating that Tekken will be a PS4 exclusive, they have since taken it down, so either they jumped the gun or got the wrong information.

Advertisement