Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 10 favourite bands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Bon Jovi,
    The Police,
    Coldplay,
    Bryan Adams,
    Nickleback,
    REM,
    U2,
    Linkin Park,
    Dave Matthews,
    The Goo Goo Dolls.

Rock on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'll give this a go then...

1. Death
    2. Rush
    3. Cynic
    4. Atheist
    5. Obscura
    6. Gorguts
    7. Disincarnate
    8. Exivious
    9. UK
    10. Crowbar (or Duran Duran).

The top 5 aren't up for debate, but i've got about 25 to 30 bands that i absolutely love equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

1. Nightwish
    2. Epica
    3. Dream Theater
    4. Evanescence
    5. Sonata Arctica
    6. ReVamp
    7. After Forever
    8. Protest the Hero
    9. Slipknot
    10. Within Temptation

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

1. Manowar
    2. Judas Priest
    3. Primordial
    4. Marduk
    5. Saxon
    6. Hail of Bullets
    7. Immortal
    8. Akercocke
    9. Bloodbath
    10. Mael Mordha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'll give this a go then...

10. Crowbar (or Duran Duran).

Wut. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

1. In Flames- Have been obsessed with this band since I first heard them about ten years ago. Loved the early stuff, wasn't too gone on the post RTR stuff until the latest album, which is a modern masterpiece. Also have a decent amount of my body dedicated to them in tattoo form!

2. Arch Enemy- In keeping with my love of all things Scandinavian, yet to release a poor album!

3. Megadeth- The definitive thrash band in my opinion, Mustaine is GOD!

4. Amon Amarth- Criminally underrated.

5. At The Gates- Have probably released the greatest metal album ever!

6. Devildriver- Love the mix of brutal and melodic riffs.

7. As I Lay Dying- Straight up solid metal band!

8. August Burns Red- As above!

9. Rammstein- Great music, even better live show, best live band I've ever seen.

10. Children of Bodom- Would have been much higher on this list 5-6 years earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

would probably be

Metallica
    Steel panther
    Megadeth
    Black sabbath
    5fdp
    Evanescence
    Guns n roses
    Bullet for my valentine :o
    Trivium
    Slayer

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    would probably be

Metallica
    Steel panther
    Megadeth
    Black sabbath
    5fdp
    Evanescence
    Guns n roses
    Trivium
    Slayer

Emo Alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

baldshin wrote: »
    1. In Flames- Have been obsessed with this band since I first heard them about ten years ago. Loved the early stuff, wasn't too gone on the post RTR stuff until the latest album, which is a modern masterpiece. Also have a decent amount of my body dedicated to them in tattoo form!

Yeah buddy! :pac:
    What tattoos do you have? Jesterheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

These are in no order at all and as others have said they change constantly

Metallica – First time I saw them live was the Black Concert which was an absolutely brilliant experience. Seen them multiple times since that day. Also Nothing else Matters was the first song at our wedding reception (the MiL did not like that at all!).
    Iron Maiden – Another band that put an awesome show on with songs I grew up with. Bruce Dickinson is a showman of the highest order.
    Faith No More – Loved their music and when I finally saw them at Slane they blew the headline act Guns N Roses out of the water. On youtube I love looking at their recent concerts. Brilliant Live band.
    AC/DC – Grew up listening to them. Seen them live three times. Angus is a god!
    Guns N Rose – Again another band I grew up with. Saw them in Slane where they eventually (after turning up and hour late) put a good show on.
    Rammstein – Only really took notice of them after their appearance in the film XXX and I then checked their back catalogue out. Was immediately hooked. Saw them love last year and they are without doubt one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Brilliant crazy Germans.
    Van Halen – Another soundtrack of my youth bands with some of best Rock songs of the eighties
    Pink Floyd – These guys kept me sane in College. One of my biggest regrets was to never see them live. (I did catch the Australian Pink Floyd but that doesn’t really count!)
    Nightwish – In recent years I have warmed to Operatic Metal must be age catching up with me.
    Green Day – Absolutely love most of their output. I shamefully hang my head when I admit I have never seen them live :(

Honourable mentions to Marillion, Airbourne, Wolfmother & The Darkness as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Elfinork

Faith No More

Pixies

Portishead

Queens Of The Stone Age

The Smashing Pumpkins

Megadeth

Alice In Chains

Manic Street Preachers

Carcass

Mr. Bungle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Yeah buddy! :pac:
    What tattoos do you have? Jesterheads?

Haha cheers man! I have one jesterhead outline on my ankle, the inner flame from one of the Come Clarity artwork pieces and a half sleeve based on Reroute to Remain.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63634302
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69513093#post69513093

baldshin wrote: »
    Haha cheers man! I have one jesterhead outline on my ankle, the inner flame from one of the Come Clarity artwork pieces and a half sleeve based on Reroute to Remain.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63634302
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69513093#post69513093

Holy sh1t, they're great. Loving the RTR one, really nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

1. Alice In Chains
    2. Metallica
    3. The Doors
    4. Megadeth
    5. Johnny Cash
    6. IronMaiden
    7. Sepultura
    8. Slayer
    9. Guns N Roses
    10. Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I thought putting together this list would be a walk in the park until I read through the thread and was reminded of so many great bands! I can't even put them into order, apart from number one. Here goes...

1. Dir en grey. Most definitely an acquired taste and I get a lot of stick for listening to them but in my opinion they've never released a bad album. Their past two albums in particular have been fantastic and live they are second to none (I am aware of a few festival disasters but I've saw them 11 times now and not once have I been let down).

2. Marilyn Manson. I know their work hasn't been up to scratch for a while now but 'Holywood' will forever be one of my favourite albums. I played it to death and I'm on my forth copy. Everything pre and including TGAOG still sounds great to me. Just a shame they were pants when I saw them in Sweden.

3. Rammstein. Another consistently strong band imo. Extremely excited about the Dublin show in six weeks time. I started listening to them when I was 12 (I'm 24 in a few days) so its taken a while to get round to catching them live. 'Mutter' has been on heavy rotation for quite a while!

4. Deftones. 'White Pony' was one of the albums that REALLY got me into music. Just a great band that I never tire of.

5. Machine Head. It took until 'Through The Ashes of Empires' was released for me to pay attention to them but I'm so glad I decided to delve into their back catalogue. Can't go a day now without listening to at least a few of their songs!

6. David Bowie. I know he doesn't fall into the rock and metal category but I grew up on his work as my dad is a fan too. Gutted that I'll probably never get the chance to see him live :(.

7. Sisters of Mercy. The first song I heard was 'This Corrosion' and I've been hooked ever since. Great band, I adore Andrew's voice.

8. Combichrist. Although one of the more mainstream aggrotech/industrial bands, there's a good reason imo. Good strong beats and I'm a sucker for that sort of thing :D. Highly enjoyable live band too.

9. Devildriver. I listened to 'The Fury of Our Maker's Hand' when it was released and just completely fell in love with them. Still going strong!

10. VNV Nation. Fantastic lyrics, good for chilling out to. I think Ronan Harris is a wee bit if a genius. Wee bit weaker in their last few albums but not bad enough to make my live for them wane.

A few honourable mentions because 10 isn't enough; The Cure, Type O Negative, Nachtmahr, Queens Of The Stone Age, Dimmu Borgir, Covenant, Motley Crue, Nine Inch Nails, Fair To Midland, Slipknot.

tl;dr

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NonCheeseEater

1. Enter Shikari
    2. Machine Head
    3. Pantera
    4. Foo Fighters
    5. Nirvana
    6. The xx
    7. Pendulum
    8. Biffy Clyro
    9. Arctic Monkeys
    10. Radiohead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    would probably be

Metallica
    Steel panther
    Megadeth
    Black sabbath
    5fdp
    Evanescence
    Guns n roses
    Trivium
    Slayer

:rolleyes: I guess it's okay because you're a girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

At the moment according to my Last FM profile :

1. Megadeth (they're never budging from this spot)
    2. Pantera
    3. Vader
    4. Metallica (Just the early albums obviously)
    5. Iron Maiden
    6. Mastodon
    7. Motorhead
    8. Slayer
    9. Queens Of The Stone Age
    10. Amon Amarth

Just outside that would probably be Immortal, Manowar, Emperor, Dio, Burzum and Behemoth. Also been listening to more Death Metal bands like Bloodbath and Immolation who I could definitely see moving into my top 10 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

My 10 favorite bands are:

Metallica

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Avenged Sevenfold

Megadeth

Guns n Roses

Slash as a soloist with myles kennedy

Pearl jam

Neil young

Pink Floyd

i havent numbered them because i cant decide what goes where, it was hard enough picking 10 to begin with :L

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

1. The Police
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Rolling stones
    4. Stone Roses
    5. Guns and Roses
    6. Neil Young
    7. The Beatles
    8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    9. Eric Clapton
    10.Oasis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Something like:

Therapy?
    Thin Lizzy
    Rory Gallagher
    Led Zeppelin
    Metallica (pre Load)
    Pearl Jam
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    Guns N Roses (pre Use Your Illusion)
    Stiff Little Fingers

order is variable & some bands change with my mood although Therapy? have been at the top of the list for nearly 20 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Soundsphere

According to Last.fm:
    1. Colour Haze
    2. The Machine
    3. Kyuss
    4. RotoR
    5. Hainloose
    6. Fu Manchu
    7. CKY
    8. Hocus Pocus
    9. Siena Root
    10. The Great Escape

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

David Bowie
    Funkadelic
    Prince
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Metallica
    Jefferson Airplane
    Os Mutantes (the Brazilian equivalent of the Beatles)
    Arcade Fire
    Talking Heads
    Linkin Park

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Reiketsu wrote: »

6. David Bowie. I know he doesn't fall into the rock and metal category but I grew up on his work as my dad is a fan too. Gutted that I'll probably never get the chance to see him live :(.

7. Sisters of Mercy. The first song I heard was 'This Corrosion' and I've been hooked ever since. Great band, I adore Andrew's voice.

A few honourable mentions because 10 isn't enough; The Cure, Type O Negative, Dimmu Borgir and Covenant.

I definetly would consider Bowie to be rock. Just listen to 'The Man Who Sold The World, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Scary Monsters. Those albums are rock and also truly excellent. Sisters of Mercy are class. 'First And Last And Always' would be my absolute favourite album by them, and closely followed by 'Floodland' which also a class album.

Great Bands as well. Is that the Covenant with Nagash from Dimmu Borgir or the other Covenant? Another ten of my absolute favourite bands.

Rush
    Emperor
    Dissection
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    Dimmu Borgir
    Joy Division
    Scorpions
    Amorphis
    Bowie

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

In no specific order, these would be my top 10.

- Metallica
    - AC-DC
    - Motley Crue
    - Anthrax
    - Norther
    - In Flames
    - System of a down
    - Killswitch engage
    - Mudvayne
    - Children of Bodom

thanks for Chronix radio online. My #1 radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

1.- The Doors
    2.- Kings of Leon ( old stuff only)
    3.- Red hot Chillis
    4.- Pink Floyd
    5.- The Pixies
    6.- Nirvana
    7.- Rolling Stones
    8.- The smiths
    9.- The cure
    10.- Clash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

K, I'll have a go (just bands, no solo artists and probably not in order, subject to change, blaah, blah...):

AC/DC
    Iron Maiden
    Marillion
    Black Sabbath
    The Waterboys
    Rammstein
    Pink Floyd
    Nine Inch Nails
    Survivor
    Stiff Little Fingers

+ a million more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gualot

Here they are, in no particular order :-)

And so I watch you from afar: And so I watch you from afar, Gangs.
    Maybeshewill: Not for want of trying
    Biffy Clyro: Vertigo of Bliss, Infinity land.
    Dry the River: Shallow Bed.
    Scroobius Pip: Everything!
    Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius pip: Thou Shalt always kill.
    Adebisi Shank: This is a album of the band called Adebisi Shank.
    Mick Flannery: Evening Train, White Lies.
    The Doors: Yet again, everything!
    System of a down: System of a down.

Gualot wrote: »
    And so I watch you from afar: And so I watch you from afar, Gangs.
    Biffy Clyro: Vertigo of Bliss, Infinity land.
    Adebisi Shank: This is a album of the band called Adebisi Shank
    System of a down: System of a down.

Even though this is a dead thread and you chose your ten favourite albums rather than your ten favourite bands, dammit, newbie, your taste is impeccable! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gualot

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Even though this is a dead thread and you chose your ten favourite albums rather than your ten favourite bands, dammit, newbie, your taste is impeccable! :pac:
    Haha, you're too kind!

I decided to list the albums, too, because one or two of the bands I mentioned have lost their 'touch' recently :-P

Oh, and in relation to your post, Korn, Inflames and Enter Shikari are fecking unreal!

Nice to see a fellow ASIWYFA fan, too!

Advertisement