Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan at night - feral thugs on the loose (Mod note: Post #33)

Options
  • 25-02-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Just a wee warning to be careful on the streets of Navan these days/nights.

Left a pub with a friend on Trimgate Street last around 10.30 and was immediately approached by a thug looking for "a euro" he needed to get to Dunshaughlin.

Ignored the f*cker and crossed the street to be approached by his mate, while #1 was still mouthing.

Luckily the car was nearby and we managed to get in while thug #2 tried to get up close and personal. The driver had to engage the central locking and take off while we were putting on our seatbelts while yer man's face was still nearly glued to the window.

If you are on the streets of Navan at night be on the lookout and if you see a tool in a hoodie approach you, dive into the nearest premises.

There are laws on defamation so suffice to say if you are familiar with the town and are asked to name the family involved, one guess will sufice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I bet I could guess who it was. It's the same handful of lads that always cause the trouble and make people feel uneasy going about their business. Don't know why they needed a euro to get to dunshaughlin when they have free travel courtesy of the taxpayer. Absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I bet I could guess who it was. It's the same handful of lads that always cause the trouble and make people feel uneasy going about their business. Don't know why they needed a euro to get to dunshaughlin when they have free travel courtesy of the taxpayer. Absolute scum.
    Doesn't begin to describe them. Naturally they were going nowhere near Dunshaughlin - just an opening salvo in the lead up to an attempted mugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Free Travel? How would they have free travel?

chewed wrote: »
    Free Travel? How would they have free travel?

No doubt they are on a certain substance and are unwell. Our kind goverment gives them a medical card to pay for their treatment and thus also receive free travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

No doubt they are on a certain substance and are unwell. Our kind goverment gives them a medical card to pay for their treatment and thus also receive free travel.

Free travel with a medical card???

Anyway, I've not encountered anything similar in my travels out in Navan but maybe I'm not the sort of person they'd approach even if I'm on my own.

• Advertisement

niallam wrote: »
    Free travel with a medical card???

Anyway, I've not encountered anything similar in my travels out in Navan but maybe I'm not the sort of person they'd approach even if I'm on my own.

Once you've a medical card you are "entitled" to a free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Once you've a medical card you are "entitled" to a free travel pass.

Not even close to being true...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/free_travel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

curioser wrote: »
    Left a pub with a friend on Trimgate Street last around 10.30 and was immediately approached by a thug looking for "a euro" he needed to get to Dunshaughlin.

Ignored the f*cker and crossed the street to be approached by his mate, while #1 was still mouthing.

Luckily the car was nearby and we managed to get in while thug #2 tried to get up close and personal. The driver had to engage the central locking and take off while we were putting on our seatbelts while yer man's face was still nearly glued to the window.

If you are on the streets of Navan at night be on the lookout and if you see a tool in a hoodie approach you, dive into the nearest premises.

You were rude to a homeless heroin user and got scared and peeled off in your car when his mate came near you.

Sorry it's not my business but the OP just drips so much contempt and then the guy here frothing at the mouth over 'entitled medical card free travel abusers' just makes me a bit sick to read to be honest.

e: Not saying OP didn't do the right thing, I wasn't there and don't know the situation,it could have been a mugging. But sometimes I see people being proper pricks to junkies for no reason, then are indignant about getting started on... it's like, those poeple have nothing left to lose, being a **** to them for no reason of course will start trouble with them. How hard is it just to say 'no' and stroll off anyway.

Dashticle wrote: »
    You were rude to a homeless heroin user and got scared and peeled off in your car when his mate came near you.

Sorry it's not my business but the OP just drips so much contempt and then the guy here frothing at the mouth over 'entitled medical card free travel abusers' just makes me a bit sick to read to be honest.

How do you know he was homeless? It is a self inflicted illness and they get rewarded for it. Navan has been crawling with the same ****ers for years that are always causing trouble. Nothing is ever done about them. They are scum of the earth.

Also I may have gotten it slightly wrong with the medical card. It depends what type of benefits and circumstances they are getting. But most will fall somewhere in that category.

How do you know he was homeless? It is a self inflicted illness and they get rewarded for it. Navan has been crawling with the same ****ers for years that are always causing trouble. Nothing is ever done about them. They are scum of the earth.

Also I may have gotten it slightly wrong with the medical card. It depends what type of benefits and circumstances they are getting. But most will fall somewhere in that category.

You're right I don't know he was homeless only from the implication at the end he was an addict. But for the rest:

Would you like to see people with lung cancer from smoking or that get mangled in car crashes die with no help too? Plenty of afflictions could be called 'self-inflicted' but as a compassionate society we help out with people who fall ill because thats what a decent society does. Sometimes those people we help are not nice people but that's life and its better than the alternative like imo: Would you rather be living in America say where if you need to go to hospital for any reason you end up bankrupting your whole family or else blowing all your savings for years, people there accept this in preference of the idea that go forbid some of their taxes go to people they don't know/don't think they deserve it.

It's laughable that you think getting welfare is a 'reward' any more than it is just enough to barely keep yourself alive for many, many people.

• Advertisement

You're right I don't know he was homeless only from the implication at the end he was an addict. But for the rest:

Would you like to see people with lung cancer from smoking or that get mangled in car crashes die with no help too? Plenty of afflictions could be called 'self-inflicted' but as a compassionate society we help out with people who fall ill because thats what a decent society does. Sometimes those people we help are not nice people but that's life and its better than the alternative like imo: Would you rather be living in America say where if you need to go to hospital for any reason you end up bankrupting your whole family or else blowing all your savings for years, people there accept this in preference of the idea that go forbid some of their taxes go to people they don't know/don't think they deserve it.

It's laughable that you think getting welfare is a 'reward' any more than it is just enough to barely keep yourself alive for many, many people.

It is to those scumbags. They get whatever a week, plus all the euros people give them, plus what they steal.

You should be able to go about your business without any hassle. Do you think it's acceptable for them to intimidate the op and their friend? If the op decided to ignore them that is their choice, but they shouldn't act like thugs because they didn't get what they wanted.

It is to those scumbags. They get whatever a week, plus all the euros people give them, plus what they steal.

You should be able to go about your business without any hassle. Do you think it's acceptable for them to intimidate the op and their friend? If the op decided to ignore them that is their choice, but they shouldn't act like thugs because they didn't get what they wanted.

It's your lack of education and compassion for medical card holders that got me to reply more than anything man. Reading that combined with what's written in the OP just reminded me how much that holier-than thou sense of superiority annoys me and how many times I've seen someone with it provoke unnecessary conforontations with homeless people/junkies/drunks for giving them the cold shoulder +a disgusted look for their trouble after being asked for a few cents or whatever bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

and no mention of the Gardai being informed?
    im not saying they would do anything, but.............

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

It's your lack of education and compassion for medical card holders that got me to reply more than anything man. Reading that combined with what's written in the OP just reminded me how much that holier-than thou sense of superiority annoys me and how many times I've seen someone with it provoke unnecessary conforontations with homeless people/junkies/drunks for giving them the cold shoulder +a disgusted look for their trouble after being asked for a few cents or whatever bull****.

I'm sure your high horse would have served you well as you reached into your purse for a few euros to see him safely home.

e: Not saying OP didn't do the right thing, I wasn't there and don't know the situation,it could have been a mugging. But sometimes I see people being proper pricks to junkies for no reason, then are indignant about getting started on... it's like, those poeple have nothing left to lose, being a **** to them for no reason of course will start trouble with them. How hard is it just to say 'no' and stroll off anyway.
    I didn't say he was homeless or a heroin user. We did say No and walked away, across the road - it was a two man operation, they anticipated that we might cross the road and the second f***er was over there. Luckily we were near the car.
    This is a regular gig for this crowd (family) and it is as well that folk be aware of the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seen this before several times and it's always the same crowd, they lurk close to the bus-stop so they catch anyone who uses the BOI or AIB atms. They're all well known around the town and at least one certainly is an 'addict' though that's no excuse. I'm not sure about muggings, I haven't heard of any, but it could definitely be described as aggressive begging, one comes over looking for a euro, gets highly offended when politely refused so the other wades in to defend his offended mate, chastises their target and the 'target will often hand over just to be rid of the situation, they will follow too, I've seen this backfire on them as well ;)

are these guys foreigners?

chrysagon wrote: »
    are these guys foreigners?

Anything but.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Gardai reserves could be asked to patrol the streets.

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Gardai reserves could be asked to patrol the streets.

The gardai patrol this location regularly, there's very little they can do as there is no real offence being committed as such.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Anything but.

ah right sorry, i friend of mine told me she was approached before at the bustop frpm teenage eastern europeans..

curioser wrote: »
    I didn't say he was homeless or a heroin user. We did say No and walked away, across the road - it was a two man operation, they anticipated that we might cross the road and the second f***er was over there. Luckily we were near the car.
    This is a regular gig for this crowd (family) and it is as well that folk be aware of the danger.

Fair enough then, just something about reading the meidcal card rant made me feel like you had a bad attitude towards the guy asking (I know you didn't write it but anyways) and read too much into you saying you ignored him.
    I'm sure your high horse would have served you well as you reached into your purse for a few euros to see him safely home.

It might surprise you but theres a lot of middle ground between being a doormat and being a ****, I'm just of the opinion that it's good to not be a **** as much as possible, ymmv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I know exactly what and who you are speaking about OP. They always try and intimidate people at the bus stop and around that general area. The gardai can't do a whole lot. Amount of suspended sentences they receive is laughable. *snip* they think they're incincible. Vigil anti group to exterminate them would be fantastic.

lukesmom wrote: »
    I know exactly what and who you are speaking about OP. They always try and intimidate people at the bus stop and around that general area. The gardai can't do a whole lot. Amount of suspended sentences they receive is laughable. *snip* they think they're incincible. Vigil anti group to exterminate them would be fantastic.
    Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Unfortunately we need to look at zero tolerance in this country *snip*! I certainly don't want a police state (similar to what's happening in the US), but the Gards need more power to clean up our streets and make it safer for law abiding citizens to go about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Why not go back down with ten of your mates and teach them a lesson?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

daUbiq wrote: »
    Why not go back down with ten of your mates and teach them a lesson?

In all fairness the certain people the op is speaking about are animals. They would think nothing about breaking into your house and ****ting in your kitchen presses. (They have!). They need to be put into the back of a van and brought up the Wicklow mountains and left there.

oristown bog is closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

chrysagon wrote:
    oristown bog is closer!

Yeah but the cops are always digging that up 😊

• Advertisement

u have to dig deeper

but on a serious note. last weekend there was a small group of foreigners having a right bust up just off market sq Saturday night,, seemly kicked out of local night club, and no sign of the law..

Advertisement