Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Rail website in place

Options
  • 16-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

and not working either!
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

...on virtually every page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Irish rail iphone app doesn't work now presumably due to the new website... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I'm not seeing any problems, can you link to an exact page. A java exception is strange too, unless they're using an applet on every page or something.

[EDIT]Ah, ok, seeing it now. I guess they're using JBoss or something to deliver content from the server. Should probably email webmaster and make sure they know there are problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Works fine here on Firefox 9.0.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Still not working on Chrome 16.0.912.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Alun wrote: »
    Works fine here on Firefox 9.0.1.

You are possibly looking at the old site still (is your DNS being cached?)

Does this page work?
    http://www.irishrail.ie/faresandtickets

Still not working here as of 19:05.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

n97 mini wrote: »

Does this page work?

Not working here either (tried Chrome and IE, so it ain't Chrome)

same error message with both "java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect"

The home page does work, but the others....

Something wrong in the backend. Web server can't connect to the DB or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I find that most parts of the website are working now on chrome. But the problem still happens live train and station updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Does this page work?

Works fine on Safari 5.1.2 and in work on IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

timetables would not work for me today...mixed error messages...

• Advertisement

Works fine on Safari 5.1.2 and in work on IE.

After being down for several hours its back working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Irish rail iphone app doesn't work now presumably due to the new website... :(

Not do the Android Apps 'Next Train Train Ireland' or 'Traein' :mad:. The RSS feeds used by the Apps must have changed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How recently was the "old" site done? Can't be more than a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

kc56 wrote: »
    Not do the Android Apps 'Next Train Train Ireland' or 'Traein' :mad:. The RSS feeds used by the Apps must have changed.

Yep I'm fixing NTI at the moment. Hope to have an update ready for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does this page work?

Nope, looking at the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

My Traein android app isnt working now, do I have to download a new one? Also live train updates, WTF some stupid "live Dart" map comes up. Christ wtf was wrong with the old live update part of the website!? typed in the station and you got the times ya needed south bound and northbound!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You don't need to use the map.

Use the box on the front page of the website, type in the station name and hit the "go" button and the real times will appear in a list, split northbound and southbound.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My Traein android app isnt working now, do I have to download a new one? Also live train updates, WTF some stupid "live Dart" map comes up. Christ wtf was wrong with the old live update part of the website!? typed in the station and you got the times ya needed south bound and northbound!

Unfortunately that is what happens when apps are forced to "scrap" the html from the website, rather then using officially approved webservices and API's.

Really Irish Rail and all the Irish travel companies should be making their schedule data available via the GTFS-realtime format. A format used by hundreds of travel companies around the world and consumed by many travel apps including Google Maps:

http://code.google.com/transit/realtime/

Then you wouldn't have this issue when the website changed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

DART fares section isn't working correctly on IE or Chrome. When I try to see the cost of a DART from Killester to Tara St, I'm told "There are no fares for your selected stations". Wow, to think I've been paying all this time when it wasn't required.
    Same for a number of different stations going into town.

Must remember to hop over the barrier tomorrow.

These sort of issues shouldn't really happen - the site isn't that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

ixoy wrote: »
    DART fares section isn't working correctly on IE or Chrome. When I try to see the cost of a DART from Killester to Tara St, I'm told "There are no fares for your selected stations". Wow, to think I've been paying all this time when it wasn't required.
    Same for a number of different stations going into town.

Must remember to hop over the barrier tomorrow.

These sort of issues shouldn't really happen - the site isn't that complicated.

Web site only shows Online Fares. You can't buy DART or commuter fares on-line so they're not shown.

I was referring to the main page (Intercity). There does seem to be a bug with the DART fares section.

• Advertisement

That problem seems to be the case with any combination of stations that includes Tara Street, in the DART fare finder section, which appears to be a website error.

Fares are (for information) the same from Dublin Pearse, Tara Street and Dublin Connolly to all other destinations.

kc56 wrote: »
    Web site only shows Online Fares. You can't buy DART or commuter fares on-line so they're not shown.

The previous poster is referring to the DART fare finder section not the journey planner.

lxflyer wrote: »
    You don't need to use the map.

Use the box on the front page of the website, type in the station name and hit the "go" button and the real times will appear in a list, split northbound and southbound.

Not coming up for me. Says "Please Select a Station" which I have already done and its just a big white space underneath it :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, they even got the http://irishrail.ie/ thing right (i.e. you don't need to enter the www to go to the website), something most Irish travel companies seem to be incapable of doing.

I have to say congratulations to Irish Rail here. I'm usually very critical of IR, but they really have done an excellent job with this new website.

I look forward to them updating the web booking system and an iPhone app.

Also hopefully they will implement GTFS-realtime.

One thing I don't like is that there is almost no mention of Leap Card, they only mention it under the Buy Smart card button. Leap should really be advertised up front on the front page where they currently have the "Smart Card" image.

Now hopefully DB and BE will follow suit and likewise revamp their websites.

Not coming up for me. Says "Please Select a Station" which I have already done and its just a big white space underneath it :confused:

I'm not sure where you are looking?

Go to http://irishrail.ie/

Directly to the right of the picture of the train there is a box with "Live Train & Station Updates" written in it.

There is a box to type in your station directly underneath that and a button with "GO" on it to the right and further to the right is a further button with "Live Map" on it.

Just enter the station name and hit "GO" - it should work. Ignore the "Live Map".

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you are looking?

Go to http://irishrail.ie/

Directly to the right of the picture of the train there is a box with "Live Train & Station Updates" written in it.

There is a box to type in your station directly underneath that and a button with "GO" on it to the right and further to the right is a further button with "Live Map" on it.

Just enter the station name and hit "GO" - it should work. Ignore the "Live Map".

nope! I just get this for hitting "go"

Sorry lads, ignore that, I must need to update mozilla or something because I just tried it on chrome and it worked :o

Sorry lads, ignore that, I must need to update mozilla or something because I just tried it on chrome and it worked :o

Works fine for me on Firefox, do you have noscript or similar plugin that stops javascript installed by any chance?

bk wrote: »
    Works fine for me on Firefox, do you have noscript or similar plugin that stops javascript installed by any chance?

I have no idea! Probably, I just looked, theres a load of plugins but I don't understand what have of them do! or mean! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Banshee

If you go into Help in Firefox there's an option Restart with Addons disabled. You could give that a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fats83

I'd say the apps feeding off the old site need to reconfigured to the new site - found this http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_faq.jsp?i=4462&ci=1&caID=63&pc=1&gc=0&p=115&n=130 I'd say they will improve this information when the dust settles.

It is a nice site

Advertisement