Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Looking forward to tomorrow, did it last year and it's a blast! Hopefully the wind won't be as bad this time around.
    Rene seems like a really cool guy as well, great race director.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Looking forward to tomorrow, did it last year and it's a blast! Hopefully the wind won't be as bad this time around.
    Rene seems like a really cool guy as well, great race director.

Very much so. I think Rene, Jason and team have been living breathing and working mountain running down there for a number of years.
    I have been meaning to do one of their workshops for years. Hopefully this year!
    Was just reading this article the other day. A very interesting one on balance and how to re-learn it. http://www.championseverywhere.com/runners-could-your-sense-of-balance-be-holding-you-back

As for tomorrow I find that watching videos of fast descending can get the mind calibrated for it if you haven't been in the hills for a while.

What a race, was not expecting that level of snow and cold at the summit! Face frozen off me!
    Wasn't easy but certainly was a lot of fun. Really great atmosphere and everyone was in good spirits. Great work by Rene and the volunteers.

Managed to scrape into the top 50% so happy with that. Looking forward to the three big races in quick succession in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

A great event for sure.
    A lovely course that offers a great taste of what Irish hill running is all about. Fireroad, open mountain, springiness, heather and that all important element - racing. The right distance too for a winter league event with snow showers in the offing.

Well done to Rene and all in Glendolough AC for organising and the show rolls back to Dublin again for Ticknock on a revised course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

So Ticknock Winter this Saturday, I will continue my IMRA photo apprenticeship , hopefully without the frostbite. Actually the weather looks really good.

I forgot to post my photo from Brokagh here :)

377875.jpg

• Advertisement

So Ticknock Winter this Saturday, I will continue my IMRA photo apprenticeship , hopefully without the frostbite. Actually the weather looks really good.

I forgot to post my photo from Brokagh here :)

377875.jpg

You should get an award for that one. It might save a life.

demfad wrote: »
    You should get an award for that one. It might save a life.

It was quite a surreal experience to a there as the weather unfolded. Mother nature isn't to be messed with that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

It was quite a surreal experience to a there as the weather unfolded. Mother nature isn't to be messed with that's for sure.

Absolutely! A recent tale tells a similar lesson.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1331/
    Trooperstown currently has but three volunteers.
    It badly needs a race director and laptopper.

It would be only mighty for that special peson "someone" to step forward.

Some of the likely local lads (Rene, Mick, Niamh) have just, or are just about to, do their IMRA volunteering elsewhere.

Failing that perhaps the race should be cancelled tomorrow at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

For those running Annagh, a weekend break the week before mightn't be a bad thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Great race at the weekend. Whoever designed the course really got the best out of Ticknock.

Nice trail, avoided the knee shredding mountain way and great last few km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Peterx wrote: »
    https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1331/
    Trooperstown currently has but three volunteers.
    It badly needs a race director and laptopper.

It would be only mighty for that special peson "someone" to step forward.

Some of the likely local lads (Rene, Mick, Niamh) have just, or are just about to, do their IMRA volunteering elsewhere.

Failing that perhaps the race should be cancelled tomorrow at 6pm.
    I had penciled this in as one of my volunteering (not that I'm near experienced enough for race director, or probably even laptopper tbh) as it's local, but it clashes with the Laragh Trail Run, which indirectly takes me out of the equation unfortunately!

Having 3 races in a row may not have been the best plan. And as said above it clashes with a race literally down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Saturdays are the problem for me, and I know a few others. Takes a lot of wheeling and dealing to get out for a race on a Saturday, never mind the hours it takes to direct a race. A lot of people with kids would have stuff on for Saturday afternoons, GAA, soccer, swimming, that type of stuff.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Saturdays are the problem for me, and I know a few others. Takes a lot of wheeling and dealing to get out for a race on a Saturday, never mind the hours it takes to direct a race. A lot of people with kids would stuff on for Saturday afternoons, GAA, soccer, swimming, that type of stuff.
    Seems to be a problem for kids too, as there was no junior race last Saturday.

Seems to be a problem for kids too, as there was no junior race last Saturday.

Bronagh and her team did a frankly outstanding job to organise the Ticknock race so smoothly - 9 volunteers in total had committed by Thursday evening and 3 of those were route markers.

The junior race on Hellfire was an opportunistic one-off which only worked due to the closed/safe nature of the Hellfire area and the availability of about 7 extra volunteers. Similar to the nutrition talk by Barry Murray after Brockagh, a nice add-on but not part of the race.

Peterx wrote: »
    Bronagh and her team did a frankly outstanding job to organise the Ticknock race so smoothly - 9 volunteers in total had committed by Thursday evening and 3 of those were route markers.

The junior race on Hellfire was an opportunistic one-off which only worked due to the closed/safe nature of the Hellfire area and the availability of about 7 extra volunteers. Similar to the nutrition talk by Barry Murray after Brockagh, a nice add-on but not part of the race.

Peter, I think you missed my point and I was one of the volunteers, we were ready for a junior race (not the kids one) but no runners turned up.

Edit: Looks like a RD has come forward for Saturday. Excellent.

Peter, I think you missed my point and I was one of the volunteers, we were ready for a junior race (not the kids one) but no runners turned up.

Edit: Looks like a RD has come forward for Saturday. Excellent.

Apologies. I mixed up my kiddies with my juniors and also totally missed your actual point..
    And fair play to Jeff Swords taking on RD for Trooperstown.

Great race today at Trooperstown, it was certainly challenging and it certainly was a very strong field of racers! Although it was my best time in 4 years at Trooperstown, I was still in the bottom half of the field. Would have been much further up with the same time 2012. I need to step the training up to keep pace with everyone!

Did a bit of helping out at registration and it seems the new system is working out very well now...Has bedded in nicely. Looking forward to Annagh Hill, it's been a while since I did that one.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Great race today at Trooperstown, it was certainly challenging and it certainly was a very strong field of racers! Although it was my best time in 4 years at Trooperstown, I was still in the bottom half of the field. Would have been much further up with the same time 2012. I need to step the training up to keep pace with everyone!

Did a bit of helping out at registration and it seems the new system is working out very well now...Has bedded in nicely. Looking forward to Annagh Hill, it's been a while since I did that one.

I just saw some photos of the finish, looked like an interesting descent at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Is anybody interested in putting together a team or looking for a team-mate for the Glacial Lakes relay on April 9? It's supposed to be a great day out in the hills although it does require a bit of commitment. Some navigational ability would be essential as it's not a marked route and it would also be necessary to recce your leg in advance.

Sandwell wrote: »
    Is anybody interested in putting together a team or looking for a team-mate for the Glacial Lakes relay on April 9? It's supposed to be a great day out in the hills although it does require a bit of commitment. Some navigational ability would be essential as it's not a marked route and it would also be necessary to recce your leg in advance.

Id love to give it a go at some point but it wont be this year unfortunately.

Looking forward to tomorrows race at Annagh, although I'll just be doing race photos of people suffering 'the wall' :)

Looking forward to tomorrows race at Annagh, although I'll just be doing race photos of people suffering 'the wall' :)

Looking forward to it. I've missed all the winter League races since Howth so this is going to be a big step up. I'll try to remember to smile!

I'd like to station a photographer on the climb half way along. While shorter, the section on Connahill has bits approaching 30% and slippy in parts too, so those without grip..... well you know what will happen.

I'd like to station a photographer on the climb half way along. While shorter, the section on Connahill has bits approaching 30% and slippy in parts too, so those without grip..... well you know what will happen.

Sounds good, I'll be there. :)

I've invested in my first pair of MudClaws in anticipation of this race. Sounds like they're in for a baptism of fire.

Say hello. I'll the the one sitting back while the volunteers do their duty around me :cool:

Say hello. I'll the the one sitting back while the volunteers do their duty around me :cool:

Smoking a cigar.

• Advertisement

That was probably the most challenging race I have done in some years...I though that Djouce new route was tough last summer! I did Annagh hill back in 2012, but I think it was a shorter route then. Great day out and a really good atmosphere.
    The stardard was exceptionally high in the field. Maulin should be a breeze next Saturday after that!

Advertisement