Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf prices 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

70 a calf for the pick of Holstein friesan is what a friend was offered. I think your man was ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

What are good 2-3 week old br fr bulls making lads? Looking to pick up 25-30 over the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

What are good 2-3 week old br fr bulls making lads? Looking to pick up 25-30 over the next month

Good/average about €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

anybody in newross on saturday and what was trade like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Sold 2 limx (eby) heifers €300 each, buyer very happy, so am I .

Good loser wrote: »
    Good/average about €100.

Thanks for that...thats the figure i had in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

any fr bull prices? Also hereford heifer out of br/fr cow, big calf wil sell at 10 days what price?

whelan2 wrote: »
    any fr bull prices? Also hereford heifer out of br/fr cow, big calf wil sell at 10 days what price?

Local farmers selling br fr bull collected of farm for €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Local farmers selling br fr bull collected of farm for €100

Sounds about right

• Advertisement

Booked 30 br fr bulls today from a local dairy man €120 each at 1 month old on feeders and eating meal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm not sure if I'm living in a parallel universe but judging by what I saw at Fermoy mart last Tuesday no way would I be paying 100-120 for FR bulls!

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm living in a parallel universe but judging by what I saw at Fermoy mart last Tuesday no way would I be paying 100-120 for FR bulls!

Your dead right when you cant see cows and bull they come from,cant be sure how much beestings they got,dont know if there on feeders, dont know if they are coming from a healthy herd...plus not having to compete with dealers and having haulage all of 1 mile from you yard...

Im happy paying 120 for what im getting

Your dead right when you cant see cows and bull they come from,cant be sure how much beestings they got,dont know if there on feeders, dont know if they are coming from a healthy herd...plus not having to compete with dealers and having haulage all of 1 mile from you yard...

Im happy paying 120 for what im getting

Walk into any farm and you can get all that for 60-80 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Walk into any farm and you can get all that for 60-80 euro.
    At a month old and eating meal ? I'll take them at €60/€80 any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Walk into any farm and you can get all that for 60-80 euro.[/QUOTE

walk into our yard and offer 60 for month old fr bull and you'd end up running out;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

walk into our yard and offer 60 for month old fr bull and you'd end up running out;)

:D

Well in fairness you'd be looking towards the 80 euro as opposed to the 60.

Well in fairness you'd be looking towards the 80 euro as opposed to the 60.

You must be talking about a diffrent type of friesan than me...what im getting are 100% british fr..holsteins would be a bit cheaper to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

You must be talking about a diffrent type of friesan than me...what im getting are 100% british fr..holsteins would be a bit cheaper to be fair

with weatherbyfoxer on this one.
    Marts are becoming a lottery from experience. As someone qouted lately they are becoming more like a dumping ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Fermoy,s not a great mart for selling calves, would never go by there prices. In saying that E120 is a bit steep.

• Advertisement

Just with regard to marts I would agree they are becoming a dumping ground. Speaking to lads in the mart they are saying that calves 3 days old are going through but registered as 3 weeks...not sure what kind of scam is going on but obviously lads are preregistering their birth and sending them off as soon as the BVD comes back.

Unfortunately in this end of the country there's no other option as even the usual export guys are refusing to take them now. It's coming down to an oversupply in Ireland but also Eastern Europe is flooding the European veal market and it's tumbled. I know Fermoy on Tuesday was an extreme example as the ships weren't sailing due to the storm but if anyone was there the idea of getting 120 for a FR bull would have been laughable. If you're paying that kind of money better to hold off and see where the AA bull market goes in the next few weeks.

Just with regard to marts I would agree they are becoming a dumping ground. Speaking to lads in the mart they are saying that calves 3 days old are going through but registered as 3 weeks...not sure what kind of scam is going on but obviously lads are preregistering their birth and sending them off as soon as the BVD comes back.

Unfortunately in this end of the country there's no other option as even the usual export guys are refusing to take them now. It's coming down to an oversupply in Ireland but also Eastern Europe is flooding the European veal market and it's tumbled. I know Fermoy on Tuesday was an extreme example as the ships weren't sailing due to the storm but if anyone was there the idea of getting 120 for a FR bull would have been laughable. If you're paying that kind of money better to hold off and see where the AA bull market goes in the next few weeks.

How much were 4-5 week old very good quality br fr bulls making?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

85 cash here this morning for fr bulls 7-10 days old.

How much were 4-5 week old very good quality br fr bulls making?..

Those kind of calves weren't selling at the prices offered. 2-3 week old calves, good quality, not jerseys - were going for a euro.

Scary really - that's due to the fact the mart couldn't buy as they were full storage wise with the boats not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just back from new ross best price for a fr bull 4 weeks old 170. plenty of calves been given away at 70 , aa bulls up to 260 average price 230 for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

leg wax wrote: »
    just back from new ross best price for a fr bull 4 weeks old 170. plenty of calves been given away at 70 , aa bulls up to 260 average price 230 for them.

many calfs in it? what were the calfs like for 70?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Those kind of calves weren't selling at the prices offered. 2-3 week old calves, good quality, not jerseys - were going for a euro.

Scary really - that's due to the fact the mart couldn't buy as they were full storage wise with the boats not going.

was there many calfs in it? what type of calfs were making a euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

At prices been quoted here it may make more sense to keep them and sell it October if fragmented land and not at heavy Sr with cows .they ain't half the work some make them out to be ,what will 5/70 euro buy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

What price will these calves make as yearlings?? Jaysus

Bring back milk quotas. The biggest fu*k up in farming since they decided to get rid of sugar beet.

• Advertisement

20silkcut wrote: »
    What price will these calves make as yearlings?? Jaysus

Sold some last November made 500 ,minimal meal ,good grass and done well for first 10 weeks

Bring back milk quotas. The biggest fu*k up in farming since they decided to get rid of sugar beet.

Way off the mark ,good riddance glad to see back of quotas

mahoney_j wrote: »

Well the issue is have we managed the consequences of removing quotas...600 calves at Dungarvan mart last Monday is a huge number. Add to it the calving pattern in Eastern Europe herds has run later and there's a massive oversupply saturating the veal market.

In fairness the mart are doing their part by buying the majority of calves on mart days and exporting them. Is that sustainable though...dungarvan mart are employing two people full time to look after the animals. Seems to be a sticky plaster solution to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

90 to 110 for good strong well fed 4wk old frs, but only 10e for another weak one I shouldn't have sent but under pressure for space. 170 to 260 for AAs, 170 one outa a small heifer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

At prices been quoted here it may make more sense to keep them and sell it October if fragmented land and not at heavy Sr with cows .they ain't half the work some make them out to be ,what will 5/70 euro buy??

was in SMB earlier & saw about 10 calves selling all young but lively and healthy

JEX bulls 12 to 30 E
    FR bulls 35 to 65 E
    small narrow AAX bull 40E

last year is history MJ and don't expect a repeat this back end,

fr bulls didn't pay for wintering this year, & there will be a glut of fr jex for next couple of years at least

Of course anyone who has invested in expansion is going to say that.

Now It's going to pull down what was left of the beef industry.

A disastrous decision .

Don't mean to derail this thread ,I suggest moving to dairy general .so because I've invested in expansion I'm in favour of quotas staying ,some statement what was I meant to do sit at what nos I was at and stay leasing and buying quota which a lot of bigger lads would of been able to blow me away on financially quotas didn't protect us in 09 and won't protect us this year it just face kiwis a wider goal post to hammer us with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Tell me, what will the return of quotas solve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tell me, what will the return of quotas solve

It would cap production and return milk to being the one profitable sector in Irish agriculture.:rolleyes

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Yes not derailing this thread should be a new one started on the merits and de merits of quota abolition as we near the 1st anniversary.

Yes good riddance to quotas.

Hello desperate milk prices and tons of cheap calves.

There will be arguments now for shooting them.

It would cap production and return milk to being the one profitable sector in Irish agriculture.:rolleyes:
    (And I'm chilling today and don't want to argue with anyone on the calf price thread.)

And play right back into the hands of New Zealand

Yes not derailing this thread should be a new one started on the merits and de merits of quota abolition as we near the 1st anniversary.

Shooting cslves absolutely not

Shooting cslves absolutely not

Don't they do much worse than that in New Zealand?

What's the difference between shooting them and sending them for dog meat at a few days old?

And play right back into the hands of New Zealand

A return to the status quo of the last 15 years or so is preferable to the current situation.

• Advertisement

A return to the status quo of the last 15 years or so is preferable to the current situation.

The last 15 years where kiwis could expand as they wished and we farmed with one hand behind our back ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The last 15 30 years where kiwis could expand as they wished and we farmed with one hand behind our back ???
    Fixed that for you, a whole generation of farmers in Ireland were castrated by quotas while NZ surged ahead.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Silkcut those fags are gone to your head, shot calves..... this is my best year for calves for a good few years. Its time to let the quota thing go, its gone and good luck to it.

The last 15 years where kiwis could expand as they wished and we farmed with one hand behind our back ???

Now your farming with your balls in a bacon slicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Gave 200 apiece for 2 three week angus heifers today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement