Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf prices 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone hear what strongish 5/6 week old Limousin Parthenaise Charolais or the likes heifer calves would be making out of dairy cows. In the market for 4 or 5 early ones.

Mad money..€400-€450

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Holy fook.... Paid 325 last year for 4 hca ones wasn't planning on payin any more than that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Holy fook.... Paid 325 last year for 4 hca ones wasn't planning on payin any more than that!!

Are you happy with the HCA heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Yeh they growing well and will calve at just over 2. You'd know straight off that their dairy bred stock they're not special or anything but I just want to introduce 4 or 5 into the herd every year to keep a bit of milk in it. They won't breed cracking grading stock but their daughters and grand daughters should .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Have all mine bought and all but six reared and all well made.

Oldest ones October to first week in Jan and will hit fresh grass running in March.

Fr/bf 14wks old 230
    Bbx/shx 9 wks old 350
    Hex/bf 8 wks old 320
    Hex/bf 8 wks old 340
    Hex/bf 4 wks old x3 290
    Hex/bf 12 wks old x 3 380
    Hex/shx 3 wks old x 2 300
    Hex/bf 4 wks old x 2 290
    Frx/shx 3 wks old x 2 150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was chatting to a neighbour this evening who said that prices for calves (FR) weren't good at Carrigallen. Some talk around the ring about a problem in Spain and a price collapse over there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    I was chatting to a neighbour this evening who said that prices for calves (FR) weren't good at Carrigallen. Some talk around the ring about a problem in Spain and a price collapse over there :eek:

Good news for me. Haven't bought any yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Is this all something to do with the blue tongue outbreaks in Europe.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/bluetongue-outbreaks-are-continuing-in-france/

Reggie. wrote: »
    Good news for me. Haven't bought any yet
    If I was in your position I would let the hare sit for a couple of weeks. We are heading into a glut of dairy calves in Ireland due to extra heifer/cow numbers (abolition of milk quotas) which should bring down the costs of cross bred calves due to volume.
    Whether there is a price issue for export dairy calves to mainland Europe or not the extra numbers of calves in the system will swamp the market.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Is this all something to do with the blue tongue outbreaks in Europe.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/bluetongue-outbreaks-are-continuing-in-france/
    No mention of Blue Tongue or any other disease's. More like the abolition of milk quotas.

• Advertisement

If I was in your position I would let the hare sit for a couple of weeks. We are heading into a glut of dairy calves in Ireland due to extra heifer/cow numbers (abolition of milk quotas) which should bring down the costs of cross bred calves due to volume.
    Whether there is a price issue for export dairy calves to mainland Europe or not the extra numbers of calves in the system will swamp the market.

Good advice and that's what I'm doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Don't sit too long. I'd rather have an endJan/early February calf than a late March one. What you save could be cancelled out on weight gain at end of year

We normally rear up on 300 dairy bulls calves every year but we only reared 180 odd last year and probably less than half this year in order to meet the requirements for livestock numbers on our combined farms.
    To be fair to Rangler - he has advocated on this forum, that farmers should avail, adhere and work within EU guidelines in order to maximise payments/grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

I signalled that a few months back...
    I sent 16 limxhol to Spain two weeks ago, the youngest was 5 weeks old. Good strong calves...€16.50/hd.

Looks like I'm getting back into beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

In car new yesterday.
    Anything from 40e for wk old lads to 125e for few was old.
    White heads making 320-350
    BB around 450 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

So far around here exporters are offering 70 to 80euro for fr bulls.not as good as other years but not for nothing either, two lads have booked fr bulls off me but we , ll sort out price later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

J DEERE wrote: »
    Don't sit too long. I'd rather have an endJan/early February calf than a late March one. What you save could be cancelled out on weight gain at end of year

This is a valid point too, for the last number of years the calves born later in the season have sold at a higher price than the ones born early eg sold a batch of 12 fr bulls for 95 euro at the end of Feb one year with a batch of 5 making 160 apiece in may, I couldn't understand it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

We normally rear up on 300 dairy bulls calves every year but we only reared 180 odd last year and probably less than half this year in order to meet the requirements for livestock numbers on our combined farms.
    To be fair to Rangler - he has advocated on this forum, that farmers should avail, adhere and work within EU guidelines in order to maximise payments/grants.

Do you rear all to beef or sell some as yearlings.?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

J DEERE wrote: »

If I could thank that 1000 times I would. I will never buy a calf again unless its Jan or older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

No mention of Blue Tongue or any other disease's. More like the abolition of milk quotas.

I don't think it's to do with milk quotas maybe partly moreso the movement restrictions on livestock in france. I think a lot of calves went to Holland and Belgium and now they won't take them or can't because of fear of virus spreading to their herds and the calves are all going to spain instead.

I heard that family in france on countrywide yesterday and they were saying the bluetongue outbreaks were affecting their prices out there.

Dawgone will know more about it but they're afraid of it spreading to the UK as well.
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/fears-grow-over-bluetongue-threat-to-uk.htm

Sorry to the mods for going off calf prices topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I don't think it's to do with milk quotas maybe partly moreso the movement restrictions on livestock in france. I think a lot of calves went to Holland and Belgium and now they won't take them or can't because of fear of virus spreading to their herds and the calves are all going to spain instead.

I heard that family in france on countrywide yesterday and they were saying the bluetongue outbreaks were affecting their prices out there.

Dawgone will know more about it but they're afraid of it spreading to the UK as well.
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/fears-grow-over-bluetongue-threat-to-uk.htm

Sorry to the mods for going off calf prices topic.

Prices are at a 12yr low here due to lack of consumption...recessionary times.
    Cheaper meat, like chicken and fish are seeing an increase in demand. Blue tongue has been an inconvenience in the Limousin area due to movement restrictions.

You got to hand it to the Gardiner family...sold a house and 10acres in Ireland and now farming over 250ha....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

In car new yesterday.
    Anything from 40e for wk old lads to 125e for few was old.
    White heads making 320-350
    BB around 450 mark

What age are the White heads? Bulls I presume.

Got €600 for 2 he Bulls yesterday, hobby farmer wanted for his fr cow that lost her calf. He chose the best 2 but were only 4 days old.

Regular guy not paying that but taking fr calves as well, so I need to be careful.

Edit: often sold 20 fresh calves to get that amount :)

What age are the White heads? Bulls I presume.

Got €600 for 2 he Bulls yesterday, hobby farmer wanted for his fr cow that lost her calf. He chose the best 2 but were only 4 days old.

Regular guy not paying that but taking fr calves as well, so I need to be careful.

Edit: often sold 20 fresh calves to get that amount :)

Hard to make money out of them. You ain't complaining tho :D

Feckthis wrote: »
    Do you rear all to beef or sell some as yearlings.?!
    We used to finish them but not any more. Sell most of them as yearlings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Trailer loads of x-bred calves in New Ross yesterday from clonakilty area. Won't be going again. Oil boy was on a junket at the Thyestys in Gowran in Jan and was approached by a dealer on the same trip about fr bull calves. He'll be getting a call in the morning. Two well done ho bulls close to the age limit made €110&€145, another barely a forthright made €70. 400 calves in mart. Lairage open at stupid o'clock taking calves in. Enough pressure on besides rushing out of the yard on a Sat morning before you make sure decks fully clear to bring a handful of calves to the mart. New Ross is going to become another clearing house for calves. There won't be too many farmers bringing calves there soon. It'll just be a place where dealers sell to each other/exporters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Trailer loads of x-need calves in New Ross yesterday from clonakilty area. Won't be going again. Oil boy was on a junket at the Thyestys in Gowran in Jan and was approached by a dealer on the same trip about fr bull calves. He'll be getting a call in the morning. Two well done ho bulls close to the age limit made €110&€145, another barely a forthright made €70. 400 calves in mart. Lairage open at stupid o'clock taking calves in. Enough pressure on besides rushing out of the yard on a Sat morning before you make sure decks fully clear to bring a handful of calves to the mart. New Ross is going to become another clearing house for calves. There won't be too many farmers bringing calves there soon. It'll just be a place where dealers sell to each other/exporters.

i was in new ross years ago at the calf sale and there were good calfs in it. what do you mean by x need calves and was there many farmers calfs in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

primary 2 wrote: »
    i was in new ross years ago at the calf sale and there were good calfs in it. what do you mean by x need calves and was there many farmers calfs in it?

Reckon typo. X-breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

We used to finish them but not any more. Sell most of them as yearlings on.

What type of calves would you go for knowing you were selling as yearlings.. Presume you tried staying away from FR Bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I wonder did he ever go mad and break a few rules? If he did I suppose he wouldn't tell us either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Trailer loads of x-bred calves in New Ross yesterday from clonakilty area. Won't be going again. Oil boy was on a junket at the Thyestys in Gowran in Jan and was approached by a dealer on the same trip about fr bull calves. He'll be getting a call in the morning. Two well done ho bulls close to the age limit made €110&€145, another barely a forthright made €70. 400 calves in mart. Lairage open at stupid o'clock taking calves in. Enough pressure on besides rushing out of the yard on a Sat morning before you make sure decks fully clear to bring a handful of calves to the mart. New Ross is going to become another clearing house for calves. There won't be too many farmers bringing calves there soon. It'll just be a place where dealers sell to each other/exporters.

well they have to open early to get all vehicles off the road outside as the locals are up in arms at traffic jams at sheep time and its only worse at this time of year with calves. but what do you want at this time of year prices cant stay up and not at the numbers coming out now

Advertisement