Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S II

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

yeah, you are right, dhd parts fitting was far from perfection especially sim card cover. I didnt have my phone in case for most of the time and very often phone was sitting in brodot slide phone holder and there were no single mark on the phone, i am very pedantic and care about gadgets so maybe this is a key...
    I dropped my dhd twice and nothing happened, i am not sure if the same would happen if i dropped gs2. i saw few gs1 versions and all of them had scratches.

I am sure gs2 has better quality build (fitting) than desire and desire hd but i am not sure about quality of parts, again i have gs2 for two days and i cant really say for sure as this could change in few weeks. the best thing would be ask people on gs1 forum maybe??

time will show...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

iwo wrote: »
    I am sure gs2 has better quality build (fitting) than desire and desire hd but i am not sure about quality of parts
    time will show...

I know what you mean. I think the SGS II will look similar to an iPhone 3GS you see that has not had a case/pouch. Physically intact, but cosmetically scuffed.

Personally, I would rather use a leather pouch, but the siting of the camera pretty much dictates the use of a case of some description, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭litmus paper

if u ask me, i would get the samsung galaxy s 2. i have used samsungs for the past 5 years. really good phones. also the large touchscreen, 4.3' entices me even more. the s2 has hd 1080p playback and a really good camera with a flash. i have used a samsung galaxy s and that was good, so this has to be better.
    there fore on the specs issue, samsung galaxy s 2 is better than the IPHONE.
    Get the samsung galaxy s 2, u will love it for sure.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade on Meteor at the moment. Choice is between the Galaxy S2 and the Sensation. After reading most of this thread, I'm very confused as to what to do. This will be my first Android phone, should that influence my decision?

get the samsung galaxy s 2. much better than the sensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Played with both of these in Vodafone shop and have decided to go with my head and get the Sensation. Although the heart wants the GS2 for the colour and screen, the plastic build of it just put me off completely.

I'm not looking to change the software or jailbreak the phone so I don't mind the Sense vs. Touchwiz as I've never had an Android phone so will just be getting used to whatever phone I get.

Can't wait to get paid on Friday now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

^^^ did the same but I went with Samsung.

I felt the build quality was actually better than the HTC. But it was the samsung screen that did it for me. Also, being new to android, I really didn't have a preference about sense vs touchwiz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well was looking at getting the HTC sensation but leaning towards the Galaxy. Tried both out and not much between them. The screen looks better on the Galaxy and the extra on board memory. There are some bugs in both but as a noobie to Android phones still undecided. On O2 PAYG and they don't offer the HTC and don't want to but it from Vodafone even though everyone states its unlocked.

Holding out for a bit longer until I see how things pan out with bugs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The extra ram and battery will give a longer life to the s2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know if build quality matters when people simply put cases on the phones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I don't know if build quality matters when people simply put cases on the phones anyway.

Hence why I bought the S2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S II "Face Off"

Part 1:

Part 2:

More face-off's :D on the website:
    http://www.smartphoneenvy.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I can't watch these in work but what's the end result?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Zascar wrote: »

I just sat through them, they don't say which is the "winner" per say, they demo side by side doing equal tasks and let you decide, for me it is the S2, it seemed to give a much smoother experience, seemed snappier and the screen seemed much more vibrant, the HTC screen looked very "magnolia?" on whites beside the S2.

I moved from a Desire to the S2 5 weeks ago and cannot believe how much more I prefer the Samsung, I was a HTC fanboy too, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I just sat through them, they don't say which is the "winner" per say, they demo side by side doing equal tasks and let you decide, for me it is the S2, it seemed to give a much smoother experience, seemed snappier and the screen seemed much more vibrant, the HTC screen looked very "magnolia?" on whites beside the S2.

I moved from a Desire to the S2 5 weeks ago and cannot believe how much more I prefer the Samsung, I was a HTC fanboy too, lol.

These videos don't show the Sensation screen very well, its viewing angles are much less than the Amoled of the SGS2 and when you video at angles like they do here it makes it look washed out, whereas in day to day use you look directly at it and it looks perfect. The phones are much of a muchness, if the Sensations bootloader gets unlocked, and you like tinkering I'd say it will end up as the best option for you, out of the box as it stands atm the SGS2 has a slight performance edge, mainly due to the fact the Sensation has to push 30% more pixels as its resolution is higher, and sense is a more demanding and visually rewarding UI to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Inquitus wrote: »
    sense is a more demanding and visually rewarding UI to boot.

I have a massive dislike of sense. It is a resource hog for absolutely no gain. To my mind it is a worse experience than stock Android, mainly because HTC implement menu's and gestures in one way which is inconsistent with native Android. The whole thing is a mess, IMHO, sure it's pretty but there is a lot to be said for the elegant simplicity and usability of LauncherPro.

HTC ship their phones with ridiculous batteries, which makes the whole situation even worse. YMMV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bd250110 wrote: »
    I have a massive dislike of sense. It is a resource hog for absolutely no gain. To my mind it is a worse experience than stock Android, mainly because HTC implement menu's and gestures in one way which is inconsistent with native Android. The whole thing is a mess, IMHO, sure it's pretty but there is a lot to be said for the elegant simplicity and usability of LauncherPro.

HTC ship their phones with ridiculous batteries, which makes the whole situation even worse. YMMV though.

Aye I had CM7 and Launcherpro on my Desire, and would swap the Sensations Sense for it in a heartbeat, I am pretty sure it will be a reality in a month or two tops, so will tolerate Sense for now. FWIW I got 2 days normal use out of my desire with CM7 and never more than 1 with a stock sense ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Zascar wrote: »
    Written review here:
    http://www.smartphoneenvy.com/featured/face-off-htc-sensation-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Inquitus wrote: »
    These videos don't show the Sensation screen very well, its viewing angles are much less than the Amoled of the SGS2 and when you video at angles like they do here it makes it look washed out, whereas in day to day use you look directly at it and it looks perfect. The phones are much of a muchness, if the Sensations bootloader gets unlocked, and you like tinkering I'd say it will end up as the best option for you, out of the box as it stands atm the SGS2 has a slight performance edge, mainly due to the fact the Sensation has to push 30% more pixels as its resolution is higher, and sense is a more demanding and visually rewarding UI to boot.

Yes, I agree it did look washed out on the vid, a work mate has the Sensation and when i use it I now get annoyed with sense.....I was a big fan of it but I soon realised it was only the weather app i loved, sad I know, lol.
    My opinion is the bloated OS of the HTC is what bogs it down....the S2 gives an experience as fluid as IOS if not better......I do think whichever people buy between these two phones they will be happy as they are both exceptional phones. For me I prefer the S-AMOLED+ of the samsung esp for using it as GPS in the car, easier to see, horses for courses.

Advertisement