Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing raw meat vs cooked meat.

Options
  • 30-05-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

If I weighed out 100g turkey for a meal, I usually weigh it out raw, which, let's say, contains 30g of protein. When I cook it, it weighs less than it did before I cooked it.

Does it still contain 30g of protein, even though on the packet it says that 100g of cooked turkey contains 30g of protein and now it weighs less than what it did before I cooked it?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's mostly water weight lost in cooking. Small bit of protein possibly but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Cooked meat is generally 30% protein per 100g. Raw weight is about 20g protein per 100g. This is due to water weight that's lost when cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

minihey wrote: »
    Does it still contain 30g of protein, even though on the packet it says that 100g of cooked turkey contains 30g of protein and now it weighs less than what it did before I cooked it?

If that's what the pack says, the it's refering to the cooked weight and the 100g of raw turkey had less than 30g protein

Advertisement