Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Probiotics

• 19-01-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Ive IBS and want to start including probiotics into my diet, was just wondering does anyone else here have IBS and take probiotics?

Im also unsure of what probiotics to take like actimel drinks, activia yogurts, yakult or should I take probiotic tabs :/

Anyone help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi,

I have IBS (it's improved a lot the past few months but still comes and goes)- I find Multibionta tablets have made my stomach a lot more settled. Hope that helps.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I have IBS and they never worked for me, bought the priciest ones going, biokult, threelac, you name it. In fact, I think it made it a little worse.

I've seen reviews on websites saying it worked for them but I've never actually met anyone in real life that said it did.

I don't see why they would work either, as far as I understand it the main issue in IBS seems to be focused in the small intestine, not the larger, where these critters like to hang out.

Two things that did seem to work for me was a low carb diet - which I now realise was because it cut out FODMAPS coincidentally and NOW foods digestive enzymes (probably because the HCl in it stopped anything getting from my stomach to ferment in the small intestine and cause bloating, pain etc.)

Stress management is a BIGGIE too, mine went totally out of control when I was finishing up my thesis.

Thanks for the replies.

When you both started taking Probiotics did ye feel sick or did your IBS symptoms kick up? I read that usually happens.

and @ Magenta which Multibionta do you take? http://www.seven-seas.com/products/multibionta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for the replies.

When you both started taking Probiotics did ye feel sick or did your IBS symptoms kick up? I read that usually happens.

and @ Magenta which Multibionta do you take? http://www.seven-seas.com/products/multibionta

It's the Vitality ones I take, though have picked up the 50+ ones by accident before and those are good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I find probiotic yogurts work great for me. I always try to get the natural type as ones with fruit added have less cultures and more sugar. You can always add something to it when you get home if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Udos Choice Super 8 usually available in the fridge in health food shops is truly the best as its kept cool and the probiotics are live by being kept cool if you know what I mean. They are expensive, but I found them marvellous, also apple cider vinegar every day either on salad or in warm water worked for me. I suffer from allergies and this is what triggers my IBS so I know that citrus fruits, oranges, lemons, limes and pineapples are a big no no for me, it drives my stomach mad. I definitely found the super 8s really worked for me.

SlimCi wrote: »
    Udos Choice Super 8 usually available in the fridge in health food shops is truly the best as its kept cool and the probiotics are live by being kept cool if you know what I mean. They are expensive, but I found them marvellous, also apple cider vinegar every day either on salad or in warm water worked for me. I suffer from allergies and this is what triggers my IBS so I know that citrus fruits, oranges, lemons, limes and pineapples are a big no no for me, it drives my stomach mad. I definitely found the super 8s really worked for me.

Could you eat those fruits without a reaction before you were diagnosed with IBS?

Also thanks to everyone who answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

yes I didn't have any problems with citrus before ibs but my allergies worsened around the same time and citrus can be related to allergies to similar plants/polens/trees as far as I know. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Consult your doc. Probiotics might be of aid to you. Start with the cheapest ones first and see if they work before moving onto the rolls Royce brands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hi OP

Not sure how much advice I can give as I don't have IBS but... I saw a nutritionist a couple of months ago and she recommended Udo's Choice Super 8. I have a wheat intolerance and avoid it as much as I can but when I can't I find these absolutely perfect for aiding digestion. Always work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AdviceisNice

Hi,

I've had IBS a few years now and it got quite bad at one stage - constant bloating, cramps, diarrhoea at least once a week which then led on to anxiety and panic attacks at times.

Apple Cider Vinegar helped at first but I found Udo's Choice Super 8, as someone mentioned above, to be a great help. It is not a cure by any means but it has proven to be a huge help.

It costs €25 for 30 tablets. Some say take more than one a day but I say start with 1 and see how you go. Years of seeing my doctor to be prescribed anti-spasmodics and proton pump inhibitors for gas has now been replaced with taking one probiotic tablet a day.

For me, yeast and sugar turned out to be the enemy. This was after being told I was wheat intolerant. More likely it was the yeast and sugar in those wheat-rich products. Take Udo's Choice Super 8 and cut down on sugar and yeast and see how you go. I guarantee it will make a difference.

The cure is eating well, exercising and replenishing your system with good probiotics (30 billions per capsule in Super 8). It's not a total cure as I said - I've slipped into old habits of eating lots of bread, pasta and beer, which simply lead on to a sore belly and a bout of flatulence which are good reminders to cut down.

Most of all, since starting to take Super 8 my anxiety and panic levels are back to what they're supposed to be.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AdviceisNice

Can I just add, please do not rely on GPs for IBS advice. Get allergy tested but most importantly of all, investigate taking probiotics. You might want to start off with a lower dose probiotic (standard Holland and Barrett ones are 3billion per capsule, Udo's are 30 billion). They will generate a bit of bloating/gas at first as they tackle the 'bad stuff' in your guts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just came upon this thread.

So much of it rings true to me - especially, wheat (I'm totally off it now), sugar (only fruit sugars and the odd dessert or piece of chocolate - no biscuits, sweets, cakes).

In addition I take high strength acidophilus. As a result, I haven't had an anxiety attack, headache or a migraine for the longest period (almost 2 months) during the last five years, when all of this started.

One question I have, which doesn't get a mention above; do you find that your memory is nothing like it used to be? Mine is hopeless now. I have to note everything down, or create reminders in my phone.

But, given that for ages I thought I was going nuts, memory is the least of my concerns!

D.

Advertisement