Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Pizza - but not as a take away/delivery - what says you???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

Luckily, I live 30 seconds walk around the corner from Irelands best Pizza. Pizza 'n Cream in Bray.

That said, I'll happily munch on a FourStar too. Apache and Domino's less so. Don't recall trying others. Actually not a fan of genuine Italian pizza. Don't like the biscuit bases and paltry amounts of Mozzarella and toppings.

Going to try my first homemades in the next few weeks. I'll be aiming to replicate Pizza 'n Cream as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Calibos wrote: »
    Luckily, I live 30 seconds walk around the corner from Irelands best Pizza. Pizza 'n Cream in Bray..

If you're thirty seconds from pizza and cream, you couldn't be more than two minutes from Platform! Great addition to Bray! (I know you said you don't like a thinner base, but Pizza and Cream is just too doughy for me. I love eating the toppings, but the bread fills me up too quick! Their garlic bread will always remind me of childhood though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I've eaten in Paulies pizza- it was one of the saltiest meals I've ever had. Didn't enjoy it at all and I had been looking forward to it based on the reviews. Decided to give it another bash as everyone was raving about the place. Rang for a collection at 7pm on a Friday and was told they had no pizza dough left. Won't bother again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

Moody_mona wrote: »
    If you're thirty seconds from pizza and cream, you couldn't be more than two minutes from Platform! Great addition to Bray! (I know you said you don't like a thinner base, but Pizza and Cream is just too doughy for me. I love eating the toppings, but the bread fills me up too quick! Their garlic bread will always remind me of childhood though!)

Haven't tried platform but my brother did. He said he couldn't understand the rave reviews himself. We rate P'nC, Campo, Four-star and apache in the same order (Obviously a big quality gap between the first two and the second two) so I trust our tastes are similar and our opinion would likely be the same. That said, if the gang said they were going to platform I wouldn't say no but I don't imagine going out of my way to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

maybe a silly question but could one order a pizza made up but collect it uncooked so one could cook it in one's own over?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Haven't tried platform but my brother did. He said he couldn't understand the rave reviews himself. We rate P'nC, Campo, Four-star and apache in the same order (Obviously a big quality gap between the first two and the second two) so I trust our tastes are similar and our opinion would likely be the same. That said, if the gang said they were going to platform I wouldn't say no but I don't imagine going out of my way to try them.

I've never had pizza in Campo but I would have thought it'd be closer to Platform that Pizza and Cream in terms of style? Incidentally, Carlo from Campo is the new front of house in Platform, doing a great job! e

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

sporina wrote: »
    maybe a silly question but could one order a pizza made up but collect it uncooked so one could cook it in one's own over?

Just ring up your preferred pizza restaurant & ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They usually are using high temp pizza ovens, so it might not come out nearly as good at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Pizzas in italy are the best

rubadub wrote: »
    They usually are using high temp pizza ovens, so it might not come out nearly as good at home.

really - to what temp?
    stehyl15 wrote: »
    Pizzas in italy are the best

oh you cannot make a generalisation like that - i had one of the worst pizza's ever on the amalfi coast

• Advertisement

really - to what temp?
    This one says 350C

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commercial-Electric-Pizza-Oven-Firestone/dp/B0040XYF4A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399913649&sr=8-4&keywords=pizza+oven

I have seen others past 500C, this is why they cook in just a few minutes.

You can get a pizza stone that goes in the oven and preheats, this sort of acts like a battery saving up heat, so when the pizza is put on top it does not cool down. Think of the difference of standing on a piece of aluminium foil out of the oven and a thick slab of aluminium at the same temp.

I have done them in my philips airfryer in a matter of minutes, but the airflow can blow the toppings around.

really - to what temp?

oh you cannot make a generalisation like that - i had one of the worst pizza's ever on the amalfi coast

That because thats quite a touristy area there are loads of good pizzerias but you have to look for them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I've never had pizza in Campo but I would have thought it'd be closer to Platform that Pizza and Cream in terms of style? Incidentally, Carlo from Campo is the new front of house in Platform, doing a great job! e
    Despite living in Bray, I'm having trouble visualizing where Platform is exactly .. in fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read this post, so it must be well hidden. Their location map isn't working on their website, and given the address of 7 Strand Road I'd imagine it's somewhere around Katie Gallaghers or whatever it's called these days, but I'm struggling to see where they could have fitted a place in like this without me spotting it.

Try putting pizza on an extremely hot pan then put under the grill best pizza ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Any easy recipes for the base without yeast?

Hootanany wrote: »

if you like meat you can try "meatza" where the base is minced meat. I like thin bases so was using wraps, usually cheaper than bare pizza bases too, per kilo.

Hootanany wrote: »

There's an excellent Quinoa based pizza in the cooking club :)

stehyl15 wrote: »
    That because thats quite a touristy area there are loads of good pizzerias but you have to look for them

actually it was totally off the beaten track - way way up in the hill tops - one can only walk around up there as the roads ends in nocelle..

it was so heavy and doughy.. i ate some of it cos i was starvvvvvvvving as we had done the st james way walk..
    i'll never forget it..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cheap delicious Pizza (a bit Indian !)

Base is Plain Naan Bread from Aldi @ 79c for 2

Tomato base homemade - 6 x Tomatoes (chopped), carton Passata, Salt and Pepper (to taste), Basil leaves, if you like a tablespoon of sugar, 1 x finely chopped red onion, 1 x tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar (to taste), half tube of tomato puree (this will make up far more sauce than you'll need but can be frozen or used in Spag Bol/Lasagne etc) - all into a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes

Bag grated Mozzerella from Aldi @ 1.69 (enough to do three naan pizzas)

Better to make your sauce maybe the day before and let the flavours "marry" sauce is good in the fridge for 5 days ime

Fan oven to 200c, take out your naan bread, spread your tomato sauce on the "flat" side of the naan, spread your cheese (and other toppings if you fancy) and slot it into the hot oven stright onto the oven shelf for 10 minutes.

Fresh basil leaves on top and sit down, put your feet up and leave it for at least 5 minutes after the oven as the sauce will be very hot underneath the cheese. Very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I've done that aswell Vic. But instead of tomato sauce I'd use a dizzle of chilli sauce (Goose brand sriracha from one of the Asian shops). So if peeps like it hot that's an idea aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Maybe it's my imagination, but sometimes I find I can taste the cardboard on a takeaway pizza :(

I'd prefer to either get pizza fresh in a restaurant or cook my own pizza from frozen. Frozen pizza is cheap, but not bad for what you pay - better value for money than takeaway pizza imho. If I'm ordering food in I'd prefer chinese or maybe a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Alun wrote: »
    Despite living in Bray, I'm having trouble visualizing where Platform is exactly .. in fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read this post, so it must be well hidden. Their location map isn't working on their website, and given the address of 7 Strand Road I'd imagine it's somewhere around Katie Gallaghers or whatever it's called these days, but I'm struggling to see where they could have fitted a place in like this without me spotting it.

It's part of what used to be Katie Gallghers. totally unrecognisable now and the food is amazing. I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Takeaway pizza is the best. Nice and soft mmmmm

has anyone had the pizza from taste of italy in blackrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

has anyone had the pizza from taste of italy in blackrock?

By the pier? Yes. Our verdict is that you need to be uber choosey with the toppings.

Their oven is good, sauce good, cheese good. When you pick non-italian toppings like pepperoni or guac it's not their strong point. Fairly fake and totally mank. Stick to very plain, like oprosciutto or just tomato/cheese, and it's nice.

Non-pizza, but great from there are the homemade biscuits, the tiramisu and the cannelloni.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

For those of you who love good thin base pizza but hate it cold and find reheating it makes it soggy, this is the best reheating process I've found so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

rubadub wrote: »

The problem is more that the dough is all floppy, so with the toppings on top, you wouldn't be able to get the thing out of the box. In the restaurants, the chefs stretch the dough on to pans (in Milano anyway), but you have the problem of trying to remove a floppy base from the box and put it in a pan.

Maybe they could half-cook it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    By the pier? Yes. Our verdict is that you need to be uber choosey with the toppings.

Their oven is good, sauce good, cheese good. When you pick non-italian toppings like pepperoni or guac it's not their strong point. Fairly fake and totally mank. Stick to very plain, like oprosciutto or just tomato/cheese, and it's nice.

Non-pizza, but great from there are the homemade biscuits, the tiramisu and the cannelloni.

Any chance you're tried their arancini?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

pwurple wrote: »
    ... non-italian toppings like pepperoni...

:confused: I would have considered pepperoni an Italian topping. At the very least it is a staple pizza ingredient & any restaurant that messes it up should be avoided.

• Advertisement

:confused: I would have considered pepperoni an Italian topping.
    I would have too, just see this though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, also known as pepperoni sausage, is an American variety of salami, usually made from cured pork and beef mashed together....

The term pepperoni is a corruption of peperoni, the plural of peperone, the Italian word for bell pepper.
    This explains why I got a pizza with bell peppers on it when I asked for pepperoni as a topping in Italy!

Advertisement