Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No photo bomb opportunity? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

About 2 minutes in shows you how they capture the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Does anyone know what sort of backlog is in place these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    About 2 minutes in shows you how they capture the picture

Hmm.. "Customer service" and lots of happy smiley people.... I dunno.

Love how they make the big deal at the end about being opening during "lunch hours" - welcome to the last 15/20 years! :rolleyes:

Luckily I'm another 2 years away from having to deal with this tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Does anyone know what sort of backlog is in place these days?

I pass one three times a week, initially it was crazy busy, seems to be very light lately.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

One month since applying, still waiting for my license... Might call them Monday to see what the story is.

Any luck with that, I've been waiting longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

copacetic wrote: »
    Any luck with that, I've been waiting longer!

I called Monday, they said they dispatched it on the Friday and should get it this week. I received it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silverspoon1

I applied to renew license on 31 October in Citywest. Cheque cashed immediately. Still haven't received it 6 weeks later. Sent an email to info@ndls.ie and got a reply next day saying they needed my proof of address and they had emailed me and hadn't received response. A complete lie! Proof of address was taken and photocopied at time of application. What a joke!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm still waiting on mine also, it's now 4 times longer than they said it could be at the outside. Farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Me too, 5 weeks and counting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Waiting at least 5 weeks for my C licence now. Place was mental, they had about 7 seats in a big empty room. All the various forms were just in bundles on the ground. No tables or anything to write on. No ticketing system, so nobody knew who the hell was where in the queue.

They had 2 booths open. only 1 of the booths had a camera working so everybody who went to booth1 had requeue to get their picture taken.
    The guy I that was processing my licence genuinely didnt know what he was doing. He kept stopping and wondering which boxes he should tick, and which forms to photocopy etc. Not his fault, inadequate training provided.

There was only 2 lads there, not even somebody managing or available to give them a lunchbreak.

Its just typical Irish isnt it? Cant do anything right. The old motortax way worked perfectly where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silverspoon1

Same for me. The new centre was only open 3 days and the girl behind the desk was saying they were all exhausted and she looked completely miserable. And then, just when it seemed I was all done and she sealed the envelope she said ' oh no, I've put in your old address' and had to go off and ask if she could undo it. I have a feeling she completely messed up and I'm still without my license!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I think they really f**ked the driving licence system up,Having dealt with the motor tax office over the years with my job and a personnel basis I never had a problem with the staff.
    Why was there a need to out source the service to a private company in the first place? I checked on the NDLS site about the cost of letter of entitlement €15 they wanted yet the same letter from the motor tax office back in September was €6.
    How can they justify the rise in the cost of the letter or adding additional costs for adding a category,Check this link out on what the charges are across the pond.
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

I renewed mine last week and they said 2 weeks till I get it. Obviously havent got it yet but I am right that you can drive with the receipt as a proof of licence, or a temporary licence if you will? Hope so cos I have been! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Consy90

So passed my C1 over 6 weeks back, got my theory D1 a week after. Over a month later still haven't received any thing. Only have 2 A4 sheets of paper, god forbid I get stopped. Anybody else experiencing this??:mad:

Consy90 wrote: »
    So passed my C1 over 6 weeks back, got my theory D1 a week after. Over a month later still haven't received any thing. Only have 2 A4 sheets of paper, god forbid I get stopped. Anybody else experiencing this??:mad:

Probaby be more suited to the motoring section. AGS have nothing to do with issuing licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

You will be given extra time to produce if you show the letter to member when your stopped, I was waiting 8 weeks during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Fandango wrote: »
    I renewed mine last week and they said 2 weeks till I get it. Obviously havent got it yet but I am right that you can drive with the receipt as a proof of licence, or a temporary licence if you will? Hope so cos I have been! :)

I renewed mine today in Nenagh, the centre was empty. I asked how long and she said anywhere between 2 days and 6 weeks.

I also asked if the reciept that she gave me was good enough for the Gardai if I was stopped and she said NO :eek:
    She said that they know there is a backlog but technically they can do you if they want.

So the counter starts now, lets see how long it takes.

And even though I knew the price going in.....55 quid.....thieving baxtards:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

POGAN wrote: »
    You will be given extra time to produce if you show the letter to member when your stopped, I was waiting 8 weeks during the summer

No you won't. You will be given 10 days to produce. Thats the legal time frame. Any extra time is at a Garda's discretion and if you fail to produce then you have committed a stand alone offence. Also driving without having your licence is a stand alone offence. It would then be up to a Judge to decide to convict or not.

Moved to motors forum

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Consy90

Thanks for moving. Joke of a set up was told 2 weeks at most and had to do the medical twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Thanks for moving. Joke of a set up was told 2 weeks at most and had to do the medical twice.

I was waiting only two weeks for mine back in September.

Seems that the new set up has some teeding problems.

Wife got her licence today, was waiting four weeks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I applied 3 weeks ago so gave them a call today and was told that it is still processing which basically means it hasn't been touched and that it will take 3 - 5 weeks. NDLS is a sham. I never waited more than 3-4 days using the motor tax office. Unprecedented amount of applications my arse. The card license has been available for the past year. The offices are understaffed and its obvious that some of them are not fully sure of what they are doing. The person who served me had to ask a colleague several separate questions when I was being served. This country is beyond backwards. The license should be printed then and there considering the technology available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I applied for a permit on the Saturday of the new NDLS centres. Only received it yesterday.

I was told 8 to 10 days at the time. It took 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

My daughter went to the NDLS on the 30th of Oct, still waiting for license, insurance company now cancelled insurance.
    She had to go back into the NDLS after 2 weeks, as they said they had no record of PPS no which was scanned in on 1st visit.
    Scanned it again, she rang them again a week later, again no record of PPS she told them to check the mail room as it was posted, waited on phone for NDLS to come back confirming receipt.
    On the final days of college exams, registered letter from insurance company cancelling insurance. Tears and more tears, calls and more calls to insurance and NDLS.
    A disgrace of a system, getting no where, cant track application.No one seems to have a clue in the Cork office.
    Fear is now they will close for Christmas, she'll have no license, and it will be 2014.
    Helpline is an absolute joke, she applied 2 days into the new system so you would imagine if there was delays she would have been at the front of the queue.
    RSA no help either, John Caulfield should be reacting better to this debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

kerryscoob wrote: »
    My daughter went to the NDLS on the 30th of Oct, still waiting for license, insurance company now cancelled insurance.
    She had to go back into the NDLS after 2 weeks, as they said they had no record of PPS no which was scanned in on 1st visit.
    Scanned it again, she rang them again a week later, again no record of PPS she told them to check the mail room as it was posted, waited on phone for NDLS to come back confirming receipt.
    On the final days of college exams, registered letter from insurance company cancelling insurance. Tears and more tears, calls and more calls to insurance and NDLS.
    A disgrace of a system, getting no where, cant track application.No one seems to have a clue in the Cork office.
    Fear is now they will close for Christmas, she'll have no license, and it will be 2014.
    Helpline is an absolute joke, she applied 2 days into the new system so you would imagine if there was delays she would have been at the front of the queue.
    RSA no help either, John Caulfield should be reacting better to this debacle.

I'd be getting on to your TD in double-quick time. A letter to the esteemed Minister of Transport would also be in order.

It's an absolute disgrace, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I'd be getting on to your TD in double-quick time. A letter to the esteemed Minister of Transport would also be in order.

It's an absolute disgrace, I agree.

In most EU countries you hold ''old'' licence until new is issued.Then u go to the office and just swapping them over.Easy as f*ck but not here.
    I hope they won't have back log like with MEDICAL CARDS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

In most EU countries you hold ''old'' licence until new is issued.Then u go to the office and just swapping them over.Easy as f*ck but not here.

Especially as the law demands it to be carried at all times. But this is Ireland. Sure, it'll be grand...

You have to send back the old licence in the UK too. But you get it back in a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hooch wrote: »
    No you won't. You will be given 10 days to produce. Thats the legal time frame. Any extra time is at a Garda's discretion and if you fail to produce then you have committed a stand alone offence. Also driving without having your licence is a stand alone offence. It would then be up to a Judge to decide to convict or not.

Moved to motors forum

You would want to be a right bad cop to prosecute someone for that...

Oh wait..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Truckermal wrote: »
    You would want to be a right bad cop to prosecute someone for that...

Oh wait..:D

I have applied(exchange) 2 weeks ago in Galway but I demanded copy of my ''old'' licence just in case.
    My insurance renewal is on end of Jan so Im not in rush at all.I just hope they wont f*cked up my exchange

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement