Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Paczini wrote: »
    Im soooo glad that I'm still getting my grant via the old system. Last year I waited less than 3 weeks to get my grant application reviewed for the second year :)

I have NO idea how long it's going to take to get my grant and I can't move up to Maynooth with having my grant first, because genuinely, my parents can't afford it and I don't want to put them under any more financial pressure. Just hope i'll have it before semester 2 and I can manage to find a house somewhere :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Im soooo glad that I'm still getting my grant via the old system. Last year I waited less than 3 weeks to get my grant application reviewed for the second year :)

Same. Though they did a reassessment on mine this year. So much paperwork to find.

Did anyone on here ever successfully get a Student loan? I remember going to the Credit Union, My bank and my parents bank in August and I couldn't get a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I got student loans every year I was in college - I didn't get a grant, so needed them to pay the fees. I had a job, though. My parents went guarantor for me.
    I know lots of people got loans for college.

How so Joe wrote: »
    I got student loans every year I was in college - I didn't get a grant, so needed them to pay the fees. I had a job, though. My parents went guarantor for me.
    I know lots of people got loans for college.

Really? There might be hope yet! I have no job, genuinely can't get one, so i'll have to look at getting a loan again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I had two 3K loans in my student times. With a guarantor it'll be no problem getting one, they don't expect you to guarantee it yourself at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have no idea how the grant system works, but I just submitted my application - does anyone know how long it'll be before I find out if I'm eligible?

I submitted my grant application in July of last year and my grant was approved and paid in January of this year, so it took quite a while. I think they're hoping for it to run more smoothly this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Studying for these repeats is killing me and I've hit such a downturn. Can not bring myself to work hard, and worst is I still have one of the difficult maths to go. (not saying the other 2 aren't but significantly less stressful and far easier to pick up) I need some motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

ACCOMMODATION FOR WORK SORTED OUT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Same. Though they did a reassessment on mine this year. So much paperwork to find.
    They are reassessing mine every year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The SUSI website is such a balls. Slow as feck. I'm applying even though as a postgrad I'll get no actual money, just 2000 of my fees paid. So have to take out a loan as well. Ask to speak to the student finance officer in your bank PictureFrame and they will let you know about applying for one, I'd say there'd be no issue?

marko93 wrote: »
    I need some motivation.

Repeating externally/internally.
    Loads of time to do nothing except study maths (boring as ****)/2000 euro and loads of time to do nothing except study maths+doing assignments going to tutorials.
    It's Hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Loads of time to do nothing except study maths (boring as ****)/2000 euro and loads of time to do nothing except study maths+doing assignments going to tutorials.
    It's Hell!

I would firmly agree avoid repeating the year AT ALL COSTS !! (even if it does come to kidnapping your lecturer and holding them ransom for your grade)

It's Hell!

2 grand? **** that, what if it was only 2 modules of Maths?

SUPER productive day! And now I lay me down to sleep.

Seriously, if it's 2 grand for a few modules I'll be busting out the Moka Pot and have my coffee directly infused to my system... Time to go balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, hell for leather. No ****ing way am I paying 2g for that. Considering myself Scaredavated(feck you I can be witty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Looking at the timetable website they say the timetables should be available around mid-August (~3 weeks). Are they usually released that early? I can't remember when they were released last year.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Looking at the timetable website they say the timetables should be available around mid-August (~3 weeks). Are they usually released that early? I can't remember when they were released last year.
    General timetables are released early enough, it's just Student Timetable that's not released till September. I remember two years ago I checked my timetable as soon as the Leaving Cert results were out cause I knew I got in. :)

marko93 wrote: »
    Seriously, if it's 2 grand for a few modules I'll be busting out the Moka Pot and have my coffee directly infused to my system... Time to go balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, hell for leather. No ****ing way am I paying 2g for that. Considering myself Scaredavated(feck you I can be witty)

Yeah 2000 for internally, not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure.

Just out of curiosity how does the SU get all those ents posters etc around the place, do they have an army of minions or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Yes, yes they do. Little yellow ones, called Kevin, and so on and so forth.

No, they have an ents crew, of students.

Trailing around campus putting up posters takes forever.

How so Joe wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do. Little yellow ones, called Kevin, and so on and so forth.

No, they have an ents crew, of students.

Ah I see never knew the college was that sophisticated , I'd always just assumed it was some sorry ents officer and as many people they could pay off with pints.... :o

Do said ents crew get paid ? Or do they just really like paper and blue/thumb tacks ?

( Can't believe after 3 years I've never met little yellow Kevin and his mates DEVASTATED!!!! :p)

Out of interest, how much should one expect to be emergency taxed when their former employer has yet to get them their P45?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thwip! wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much should one expect to be emergency taxed when their former employer has yet to get them their P45?

Info here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/emergency-basis.html

TheBody wrote: »

Oh my head is far too tired to comprehend that

It means that for the emergency tax works on a sliding scale. The first 4 weeks you get 1/52 of your regular credits. After 4 weeks you pay more tax. After another 4 you pay even more.

In summary, try to get the P45 ASAP. You can ask your employer to put you on a "week 1 basis" in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Perhaps all you need to understand is that emergency tax causes emergencies. Numerous yonks ago my previous employer was being a dick so I went directly to the tax office and they helped me get it sorted quickly. Whenever I wanted to get my finances sorted they were very helpful. Whenever they owed me money from overtaxing me... not so helpful.

So basically, Thwip! has no pay this week :/

GOD-DAMMIT PREVIOUS EMPLOYER WHO I CANNOT NAME FOR POSSIBLE LIBEL REASONS FROM DOING SO!

• Advertisement

Also reading that I should contact my local tax office to get a new tax credit certificate if I fail to receive my P45....I've moved out of county for my new job....so is it the local tax office from back home or the one for my new home?

*Quite possibly a very silly question*

Also reading that I should contact my local tax office to get a new tax credit certificate if I fail to receive my P45....I've moved out of county for my new job....so is it the local tax office from back home or the one for my new home?

*Quite possibly a very silly question*

Your tax office is tied to the address you use for the purpose of tax. Not where you work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone recommend a good affordable notebook to use in collage? Want to get one for September.

If it's just for college, almost any cheap laptop will do. Just needs to run Office.

Back your stuff up regularly though, especially essays and stuff. The NUMBER of people whose cheap laptop hard drives fail during the year and the border a nervous mental breakdown is staggering.

I'm a disgusting Mac snob, but someone here will know the pc brands well enough to recommend one. Though I've had a Dell since 2001 and it still works great! Super reliable machines in my experience.

banquo wrote: »
    If it's just for college, almost any cheap laptop will do. Just needs to run Office.

Back your stuff up regularly though, especially essays and stuff. The NUMBER of people whose cheap laptop hard drives fail during the year and the border a nervous mental breakdown is staggering.

I'm a disgusting Mac snob, but someone here will know the pc brands well enough to recommend one. Though I've had a Dell since 2001 and it still works great! Super reliable machines in my experience.
    ye just something that is easy to carry around I have two laptops at home and tried bringing one in last year but its just too heavy and bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Don't know what your price range is but something like this would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Yeah that'd do nicely!^^^ Fair play to you Planemo for having a dig about.

Planemo wrote: »
    Don't know what your price range is but something like this would be ideal.
    yes something like that great thank you.

I am using Samsung NF110 (There are newer versions for sure) for doing my college work and other stuff. I am using it for two years now and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It is small, cheap enough (I bought it for about €250), reliable (I never had problems with it), it charges quickly and after 2 years of every day use the battery holds for over 5 hours with Mozzilla and Windows Media Player open (I just checked it now). I agree with banquo saying that anything that would run Office would be good enough but from my own experience I know that the battery is equally important. I had to use my old netbook for few weeks in first year and it was a disaster. The battery worked for just over two hours. I had to find a plug after each lecture and few times I was forced stand in JH beside a plug cause my laptop was charging. Also couple of times I had to do my lecture notes with my screen turned off to save energy during a double lecture. With my current netbook I only bring my charger with me if I am planning to stay in the library till late. I hope this will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I have a Samsung N150 and it worked perfectly for me for the last 3 years, I even did my thesis on it. Have to agree about the battery, even though there is a few more plug sockets in the library now it would take the pressure off around exam time if you had a battery with a few hours life.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I have a Samsung N150 and it worked perfectly for me for the last 3 years, I even did my thesis on it. Have to agree about the battery, even though there is a few more plug sockets in the library now it would take the pressure off around exam time if you had a battery with a few hours life.
    I agree, it is easier now with more plugs in the library but it would be hard to run there between the lectures and as you said it might be really hard to find a plug even in the library around the exam time.

• Advertisement

So I guess I'm the only one here who thought they meant an actual notebook......like with pages?

So I guess I'm the only one here who thought they meant an actual notebook......like with pages?
    If it was proper notebook the question wouldn't make any sense so yea you might be the only one :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I personally recommend the pukka pads.

If it was proper notebook the question wouldn't make any sense so yea you might be the only one :D

Some people are really into their paper Paczini.....GAWD :pac:

Some people are really into their paper Paczini.....GAWD :pac:
    Well in this situation I would recommend notebooks from Student Advisory Centre (or something similar, I never used them myself) which are good and affordable (free) :D

Aye, the old Paper vs. Machine debate

well back in my day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I thought this was about paper before I saw the reponses. I need a new electrified gizmo whatsit typing machine too.

I remember things best if I take notes on paper. Physically writing them seems to get info into my brain a lot better. Then Saturday mornings I spend two hours or so typing up the week's notes. Serves to refresh the information but also when it comes to exam study I just have to press Print for my study notes, instead of wading through loads of pages of terrible handwriting.
    Well in this situation I would recommend notebooks from Student Advisory Centre (or something similar, I never used them myself) which are good and affordable (free) :D
    I've been here five years and have never once needed to pay for paper. Or highlighters. Between those minor things and the actual advice, Rose in the academic advisory office has really helped me a hell of a lot over the few years.

Lads, it's just too early.

Do yous know if there is another site to put up the ad apart from adverts.ie and gumtree.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Do yous know if there is another site to put up the ad apart from adverts.ie and gumtree.ie?

Donedeal.ie is fairly good, but iirc you've to pay a euro or something to stick an ad on there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement