Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

In fairness Kiss wasn't running the attack. It was a joint effort between him, Tainton, Smal and even Kidney. That was O'Driscoll's complaint. That seems to be what they're addressed.

Now we will see an improvement if Kiss is up to it. South Africa was a step in the right direction compared to earlier in the year (even if some people are completely unwilling to see that).

I think it's all too late though. Kiss is a very good coach by all accounts but his fate is tied to Kidney's and I don't think Kidney will be able to get the best out of these players. They know the contract situation and they know that the coaching staff haven't delivered since 09. i think therell be an element of Kidney-clock-watching. I don't think Kiss will be able to deliver results regardless of his owna ability as a coach unless he's retained by a new appointment, which would seem unlikely.

I don't know if Kiss is a very good coach though. Sure, the choke tackle worked brilliantly when it was first introduced and Kiss got tonnes of well deserved plaudits for that, but our defense has been very poor lately. Even looking back the RWC quarter final - and many losses since - we suffered because we were so passive in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't know if Kiss is a very good coach though. Sure, the choke tackle worked brilliantly when it was first introduced and Kiss got tonnes of well deserved plaudits for that, but our defense has been very poor lately. Even looking back the RWC quarter final - and many losses since - we suffered because we were so passive in defense.

Since the RWC Kiss hasn't been full-time defense coach though. That's part of the problem, or at least you'd imagine it is. Our defensive record prior to this years 6 Nations had been pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

molloyjh wrote: »
    Since the RWC Kiss hasn't been full-time defense coach though. That's part of the problem, or at least you'd imagine it is. Our defensive record prior to this years 6 Nations had been pretty good though.

It was disastrous for the RWC quarter-final against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd assume nothing. I'm no expert, but the TH would not work in isolation. Even getting the hit right and Archer would not have trained with Munster for a while as he was in camp.

No! No! I'm going to resist. It's too easy. Go figure?:D:D

Archer would no doubt have trained with Ireland. Ludicrous I know but there you are.

I can't be arsed turning up for work tomorrow jm08, but I can't think of a reason. Could you have a look at your list of excuses and see if there's anything I can use?

That would take days to go through them all. Have a bit of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

its_phil

"Why do you sound like my finance lecturer?"

Much as I might wish for a career in Academia, I do not lecture in Finance.
    I do however wish to raise the standards of the postings on this particular forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was disastrous for the RWC quarter-final against Wales.

That was one game. You can't judge someone on a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He then played the same sort of passive defensive system when we met them again in the 6 nations. Definition of insanity etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Newsflash: M McCarthy replaces D Ryan on the bench v Fiji due to illness.

Good IT article on the use & timing of the Bench (a clear weakness of this administration).

Does anybody else hope that Fiji are good and give these boys a stern test?

Prediction: Irl to win by 15..?
    [What is the spread?]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

True. Kidney also only lost once to Wales in the RWC. 4 more years!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JF100 wrote: »
    Prediction: Irl to win by 15..?
    [What is the spread?]

Ireland-24 which might be right or maybe a little generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ireland-24 which might be right or maybe a little generous.

With a competent coach Ireland would easily beat that handicap but with Kidney I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Apologies if this has already been answered, but how come this game isn't a full international like England v Fiji was last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

awec wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered, but how come this game isn't a full international like England v Fiji was last week?

They can only use the Aviva for capped matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

awec wrote: »

Because of the IRFU's contract with Aviva, all full internationals must be played in Lansdowne Road. Since we're not likely to fill that, it's on in Thomond Park and, therefore, not a full international.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    But the point is that none of us were to know that he couldn't develop the ability when he first came on the scene. He had potential, didn't fulfill it, that's what I said and I don't see what's wrong with that!

Every fit, strong, athletic and interested player has potential. If you don't see it by 21 or 22 forget it. Big Tony was a very strong man but strength in the scrum is only part of the mix. Tony was also too tall. It's a similar story with Hagan. Once a good, short loosehead gets under them they are fecked. The problem from a fans point of view is that when we see a prop getting humiliated week in and out yet selected and 'lauded' for Ireland we wonder why? On a separate note, anyone who plays in the front row at a decent level or above is a hero, including Mushy. Think of the courage it takes to pack down knowing you will soon be looking at your second rows jock strap.
    We digress...
    Mr Buckley is earning a crust at Saracens & good luck to the man.
    No he's not. Unless sale have sacked him.
    PS Can anyone tell me the name of that pudding ..???
    That's a Chocolate Archer.
    The inclusion of Fitzpatrick in the Ulster squad this weekend makes the selection of Ross for tomorrow all the more baffling.
    The inclusion of Court and Fitzpatrick in the Ulster team says a lot for the Ireland coach and his famous man management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »
    The inclusion of Court and Fitzpatrick in the Ulster team says a lot for the Ireland coach and his famous man management.

As matter of interest jaco, who are Ulsters back-up props to Court, Afoa & Fitzpatrick? Seem to remember Brady filling in as a prop at one stage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

mcallister?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

McAllister, Black, Macklin, Lutton

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

mc callisters out for the season tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

leonard7 wrote: »
    mc callisters out for the season tho
    He is indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So, we have to beat Argentina now or else we drop to 9th in the rankings. The Scotland/SA game doesn't matter anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    So, we have to beat Argentina now or else we drop to 9th in the rankings. The Scotland/SA game doesn't matter anymore.

Would a draw not keep us in 8th place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »
    Would a draw not keep us in 8th place?

Well yeah turns out it would but it's so unlikely that I basically ignored the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

danthefan wrote: »
    Well yeah turns out it would but it's so unlikely that I basically ignored the possibility.

do we not stay up if wales go down regardless of samoas results starting to confuse myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

snow mad wrote: »

do we not stay up if wales go down regardless of samoas results starting to confuse myself now

If we lose to Argentina by any margin, and Scotland beat Tonga by >15, and Wales lose to both Australia and NZ, then Wales go to 9th, and we go to 10th. Argentina, Samoa and Scotland would be 6/7/8.

We basically need to beat Argentina now. Must win game already.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The worst part about being a 3rd seed is probably the schedule. If it stays the same it makes 3rd seeds play games closer together. It would make it very hard for us to qualify from our group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    If we lose to Argentina by any margin, and Scotland beat Tonga by >15, and Wales lose to both Australia and NZ, then Wales go to 9th, and we go to 10th. Argentina, Samoa and Scotland would be 6/7/8.

We basically need to beat Argentina now. Must win game already.

well if that happens then it's not the end of the world, if wales and ourselves become third seeds and argentina and samao and scotland are second seeds then it's just a case of drawing one of those sides as a second seed instead of us being a second seed and drawing one of those sides as a third seed

it still comes down to the luck of the draw

there will a strong top seed - new zealand

a strong second seed - england or france or australia

and a strong third seed - argentina or ourselves/wales

avoid the strong seeds and we should be ok no matter what pot we are in, too much is made of this

we'd be very unlucky to get a strong top seed and a strong second seed even if we are a third seed and if we lose to both of those in the group then we were never likely to do well anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Has anyone got any information regarding the 2013 Summer tour of North America?

Been trying to find some online but to no avail, I might be stateside on a J1 next summer so would be good to get to a game or two if possible.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any information regarding the 2013 Summer tour of North America?

Been trying to find some online but to no avail, I might be stateside on a J1 next summer so would be good to get to a game or two if possible.

Cheers.

They haven't announced the details of the tour yet. Generally America play in a place called Glendale, near Denver. But they do also play in other places around America. Given that its Ireland it could be anywhere.

You'll have to wait until they announce the details of the tour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement