Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ahern to announce EUR140m State broadband initiative

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by De Rebel
    In other words, Dermot Ahern sees the need but has failed to develop an effective solution ? Is that it?

On the contrary, I believe that we are about to see the development of an effective solution over the next 6 months.

As I said earlier there are four things that we need to get an effective alternative broadband infrastructure. In the space of just one month, we have gotten two of the necessary points (3.5GHz and more MAN's).

We expect to hear about the awarding of the MSE in the next few weeks.

And finally rumours have been flying around about the last point (affordable national infrastructure) for awhile now, I imagine we will hear more about this after the MSE is announced.

The problems we have faced with the last mile have been mostly caused by Eircom, with this new alternative infrastructure, it will allow many new hungry companies like IBB to enter the market and really compete.

And I'm not just talking about 3.5GHz line of sight, we are likely to see NLOS, 2.4GHz, 5+GHz wireless. We may even see other interesting possibilities such as cable, unbundled telephone and MMDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

The BMW can't even finish Ballyhaunis I hear the Comptroller and Auditor General could be taking an interest in the BMW and its monitoring of expenditure , they are unfit to be given any responsibility for a dig of any sort given the funds involved IMO .

Whats the word on this then Muck? My understanding was that they would have their first customers signed up round now in either Ballyhaunis or Ballinlough....

Also, what ever happened with the ESBs trials in Tuam (i suspect i already know but have to ask anyway just in case)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by bk
    As I said earlier there are four things that we need to get an effective alternative broadband infrastructure. In the space of just one month, we have gotten two of the necessary points (3.5GHz and more MAN's).
    <snip>
    And I'm not just talking about 3.5GHz line of sight, we are likely to see NLOS, 2.4GHz, 5+GHz wireless. We may even see other interesting possibilities such as cable, unbundled telephone and MMDS.

And as I said earlier, the missing component is a comprehensive planfor last mile. I agree that the other three components are coming together. I agree that there have been and will continue to be welcome developments in relation to last mile. But there is no comprehensive planfor last mile.

That needs to be addressed if there is to be equality of access for all. And it is a policy issue, and therefore the government's job to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by bk
    we are likely to see NLOS, 2.4GHz, 5+GHz wireless. We may even see other interesting possibilities such as cable, unbundled telephone and MMDS.

That could really have been taken from a Etain speech about 4 years ago in fairness.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by yellum
    That could really have been taken from a Etain speech about 4 years ago in fairness.

Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I'll just go and fall on my sword now.

Originally posted by De Rebel
    And as I said earlier, the missing component is a comprehensive planfor last mile. I agree that the other three components are coming together. I agree that there have been and will continue to be welcome developments in relation to last mile. But there is no comprehensive planfor last mile.

That needs to be addressed if there is to be equality of access for all. And it is a policy issue, and therefore the government's job to do it.

I believe we will see a comprehensive plan in the next few months. 6 months max.

The first major shot of this plane was made by the minister on Friday, I expect more clarification to follow, probably around when the MSE is announced, as the MSE will likel play a major part in driving and facilitating the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

If this government manages to produce a plan for the last mile which makes sense in a joined up way then it will be a first. If they are then able to put the necessary resources in place to implement such a plan it will be an even bigger shock.

Remember what the Government are doing here is making up for the complete shambles they left the country in when Mary sold Eircom to the people who already owned it. She did it in a way which created a monopoly which had no interest in investing in the future. Then created the toothless wonder that is Comreg to ensure competition which has yet to arrive.

So while the recent announcements are to be welcomed, by those of us on the wrong side of the digital divide, I'll believe it when I'm looking at my BB modem and its plugged in and working.

M.

Advertisement